Stat retiring as a Knick

tiger0330

Legend
WTF, dude had his best years with the Suns and his worst with the Knicks. We're not hanging his uniform in the rafters for the years he played at MSG.

Looks like he signed a one day contract with the Knicks and announced his retirement as an NBA player.

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick him up but last season may have been Stat's swan song.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Question is Stat a HOF player? Just can't see the Knicks retiring his number 1 in the MSG rafters, that would be a joke.

In 14 NBA seasons, Stoudemire averaged 18.9 points (15,994 total) and 7.8 rebounds (6,632) in 846 career games for Phoenix, New York, Dallas and Miami. In addition to six NBA All-Star berths, he was named to five All-NBA Teams (two first teams, three second teams) and was the 2003 NBA Rookie of the Year. In international competition, Stoudemire represented the United States at the 2004 Summer Olympic Games in Athens and at the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas. As a member the Knicks, Stoudemire averaged 17.3 points and 6.7 rebounds in 255 games and helped win the 2012-13 Atlantic Division title. From Nov. 28-Dec. 15, 2010, Stoudemire broke the franchise’s 48-year record held by Willie Naulls by scoring 30-plus-points in nine consecutive games.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look he often talked a good game and rarely was healthy enough to play up to his talk!

That said, he revived us! He came to us and made us a relevant team when no one would! He helped us land Melo, which lead the rumored assemblence of a Amare, Melo and CP3 trio...that never materialized, but we did land future DPOY, that's possible because of Stat!

In 2010 he was an NBA All Star starter, our first since Ewing!

First High School to NBA Rookie to be named ROY (he and Lebron will forever remain the only to hold that honor)

injuries kill the idea of an NBA HOFamer but a Knick Legend for sure!

Classy move by Phil and Dolan!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Wow didn't expect this.

Not gonna say anything negative about him and just appreciate that he wanted to retire as a Knick. Pretty neat to sign a one day contract for that.

His 2010-2011 season was special. Here's to you, STAT!

tiger0330

Legend
Wow didn't expect this.

Not gonna say anything negative about him and just appreciate that he wanted to retire as a Knick. Pretty neat to sign a one day contract for that.

His 2010-2011 season was special. Here's to you, STAT!
I was going to comment about Stat's contract being one of the worst in Knicks history but I googled "worst contracts in NBA history" and his contract doesn't appear on many lists. However, 3 Knicks do have the honor of being on most lists Alan Houston, Eddie Curry and Jerome James.

Kiyaman

Legend
I still believe Stat wouldve been the Knicks main MAN to go to in the 2011-12 season if we kept Chauncey Billups coach/leadership that season, or be the main MAN in 2012-13 season if we kept LinSanity and just added Jason Kidd, and Stats ex-teammate Kurt Thomas to the Knicks roster.
To bad for us .. Dolan gave the Knicks team to ISO-Melo

rady

Administrator
Staff member
WTF, dude had his best years with the Suns and his worst with the Knicks. We're not hanging his uniform in the rafters for the years he played at MSG.

Rumor is that he wanted to play one more year for the Suns but they weren't interested..

tiger0330

Legend
Rumor is that he wanted to play one more year for the Suns but they weren't interested..

I wonder if he asked the Suns whether they would be interested in signing a ceremonial contract so he could retire a Sun.

If he asked the Knicks if they would be interested in signing a 1 year deal they would have told him no just like the Suns may have. He really should retire a Sun because if he does make the HOF it will be because of his body of work with them and not the Knicks. I got a funny feeling someday Dolan is going to be retiring his number which is going to be a joke.

tiger0330

Legend
Look he often talked a good game and rarely was healthy enough to play up to his talk!

That said, he revived us! He came to us and made us a relevant team when no one would! He helped us land Melo, which lead the rumored assemblence of a Amare, Melo and CP3 trio...that never materialized, but we did land future DPOY, that's possible because of Stat!

In 2010 he was an NBA All Star starter, our first since Ewing!

First High School to NBA Rookie to be named ROY (he and Lebron will forever remain the only to hold that honor)

injuries kill the idea of an NBA HOFamer but a Knick Legend for sure!

Classy move by Phil and Dolan!
Dick move by the Suns with Amare saying he asked the Suns for the same ceremonial signing the Knicks gave him but they weren't receptive to it.

Amar'e Stoudemire, who signed a contract Tuesday with the New York Knicks to formally retire with them, says he had made overtures to do the same over the past two years with the Phoenix Suns but "wasn't getting any positive response."

"That would've been the perfect way to go out," Stoudemire told The Arizona Republic on Thursday. "I didn't want to beg Phoenix. My heart was in two places -- Phoenix and New York. I just went where I was wanted."