New trades

NYKnicks15

Starter
I dont really have nothing to say important about Layden. Just he signed Allan to that huge extension. He traded Camby away. He traded Spreewell away. He traded Ewing away for Rice. He traded Mugsy and Rice for Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley. Hes a loser. and i saw him make a comment about the Knicks before they played on NBATV and flat out hes a douchebag!! Can I say that? Well thats what he is. Im sure Rady wont mind it if i cant when its about Layden....but on the bright side he did select Sweetney :p

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
I agree Kurt excelled when he last moved to the centre position, i remember him winning a player of the week award while playing there. Alot of the respect hes garnered around the league is from when he performed well playing there.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
And now KT is going to be matched up with bigger, and hopefully slower players he should get those mid-range looks alot more, and that being his forte will get better stats, and a larger role on the team.

JaDaMeL05

Benchwarmer
With Sweets and KT in frontcourt, knicks reboundin should go up ALOT. And sweetney should develop more. Ariza also gets more minutes comin offf da bench.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Ariza is a star in the making. I heard Steve Kerr say tonight that he is going to be a future all-star and he will be with that intensity and desire.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
Brian_Coleman_21 said:
Ariza is a star in the making. I heard Steve Kerr say tonight that he is going to be a future all-star and he will be with that intensity and desire.

a knick all-star?? perish the thought....

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
Peach_NYK_21 said:
And now KT is going to be matched up with bigger, and hopefully slower players he should get those mid-range looks alot more, and that being his forte will get better stats, and a larger role on the team.

Yes that is a great point, Kurts game really excelled when he moved to the centre spot as he had the ability to knock down those mid-range jumpers, he has been such a better player since.

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea as I read others reports though, and yes you can say Im leaning over that edge.

NEGATIVE-But we just took too big contracts of tiny forwards that no one wants. they are clones of sweetney to an extent. Taylor is overweight. and Malik is 6'7. Why do we need these guys someone tell me a legit reason??? The tallest guy on our team is 6'10 and his names Tiny Tim cause he plays like a 6-1 player. We have no center and 5 power forwards. Sweetney will most likely lose his starting job or many minutes because of this pick up. We have a total of four guards. One by the way who sits in a suit and collects 17 million on the bench. I no this is throwing in the towel until the offseason but damn. it doesnt leave us in a pretty position as if we had the expiring contracts of Tim, Penny, Vin, Nazr, Brewer, Sundov, Moochie....

POSITIVE-We picked up a first round draft pick for this year. Making that two and one second rounder. We got two players who will actually play and produce. Isiah said it during the Knick game, i traded away 4 players 1 that played a lot of minutes for us and 3 that played barely any. I guess hes right, the point of expiring contracts is to trade them away for better players.

IN ALL we got a first round draft pick. (which Marbury says you cant rebuild by the draft haha). We got rid of our center (which Isiah says wasnt a true center for us haha) We picked up to undesirable contracts that no one else will want to deal with. Sweetney and Kurt will more than likely get dealed this offseason. if Kurt gets dealt for a true center ill be happy. if Sweetney gets dealt period i dont see Isiahs big plan AT ALL. Oh by the way we could of got Drew Gooden from the cavs but Cleveland didnt want KThomas' contract...Whos going to want it next year?

Trin_Starr

Starter
This is my analysis of the trade.
The trade was made as a build up to trades in the off season.
It is not a trade to aid us in a playoff push this season.

If you notice Malik Rose is like sweetney, they are both short PF but strong as all hell and get to the FT line alot. Taylor and Kurt are also similar in that as a PF they like to shoot the 15' jumper. Taylor can post up down low, but doesn't rebound like Kurt. I think Isiah's thinking is when either sweetney or kurt is on the bench, 2 guys similar to their play are also on the court. This makes it easier for PGs Marbury and Crawford to stick to similar offensive sets.
Trading both Moochie and Brewer was good, because now Penny will get more minutes at PG, SG and SF - showing off his versatility at 3 positions and his stats should increase. Why would Isiah do this - so that next season, these attributes plus his expiring contract will look very appealing to a certain team looking for a veteran swingman to lead their team of rookies - aka using penny to pick up curry and other contract fillers.
The knicks now have two 1st round draft picks for 2005, once from b4 and one from the Rose trade, to grab a center in the draft (Petro or Bogut) who will play backup to curry - assuming we get him.

I don't see Sweetney being traded anytime soon. Once he works on his Defense and fouling, he will start for the knicks. Rose will be his backup.
KT i'm not too sure of. His play is still stellar, but at some point a nice trade will pop up and he will be gone.
So while we might win some games this season, the real move will only happen in the off season.

The only negatives to this trade is the salary cap situation, but as Dolan said, he doesn't give two shits about how much he has to fork out!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
anyone wants to write a one page article about this trade? i don't have to much free time

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yea but what are the real chances of getting Eddy Curry. He is best friends with Jamal Crawford, hes having problems with Skiles BUT does that automatically assume hes coming here. Wonder if Chicago doesnt want to help us with that sign and trade? Hes not going to settle for our mid level exception. By the way thats my favorite center in the league Eddy Curry. Young, big, energetic and athletic.

I agree with Dolan, besides for the no chance in getting free agents WHO CARES how much money we spend. Aslong as Isiah finds ways to wheel and deal with what we have. Jim is the one forking out the money and good for him. these two bit sports writers arent!!! so what the hell should they care?

Thanks for the reassurance Trinn Star i desperately needed it. :) sometimes these columns get in your head. By the way I hope we get either Petro, Taft or Bogut. and a SG with our late pick aswell as a good PG like Elder (who plays SG) in the 2nd.

Man i would Rady but Im in a time crunch aswell finishing up this script :|

C Kurt Thomas
F Mike Sweetney
F Tim Thomas
G Jamal Crawford
G Stephon Marbury....1-0 so far haha by the way I know this is not level headed but damn did i like the play of Tim Thomas last night

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i liked the trade with san antonio. i didnt like the trade with houston. isiah should have made houston add in a first round draft pick. i dunno what he was thinking on that one.

there's so many good players in this league who were drafted late in the first round (or even the second round). anybody who says building from the draft is hard doesn't know anything. if you do your research and evaluate talent properly, you can really find some gems in the draft, even if you dont have lottery picks. and if nothing else, athletic, talented young players with small rookie contracts are great as trading pawns.

i think behind isiahs confident, crooked smile, hes pissing in his pants. i think he knows hes way in over his head. hes desperate and knew he had to do SOMETHING by the trading line. he knows the new york fans and media are starting to get fed up with him and the time is ticking on his clock. i hope he doesn't do anything really stupid over the summer.

he DEFINETELY should have gone after webber if he could get rid of houston. hes an idiot if sacramento was willing to take houston for webber. he should be fired immediately if he didnt do that trade.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i am actually now officially furious at isiah thomas. that guy sucks.

he could have gotten WEBBER AND V. CARTER this season, and wouldnt even have had to give up marbury, crawford, ariza or sweetney to get them. thats just RETARDED that he didnt get them. he needs to be fired immediately and replaced by a RATIONAL person who doesn't have an enormous ego - someone like jerry west, who has quietly built memphis into a pretty decent team despite its low payroll. or me :)

our lineup could have been:

marbury/crawford
carter/crawford
ariza/hardaway
webber/sweetney
mohammad/sundov

or something like that. we would have been contenders in the east.

instead, we are getting worse and worse with a payroll thats getting bigger and bigger. and that light at the end of the tunnel seems to be further and further away.

NYKnicks15

Starter
no i dont believe they were going to accept that houston for webber deal. and rightfully so. they pick up one player who cant walk for an allstar. but they do get 17 million off their cap 2 years later....but with the 76er deal they get three power forwards, not as good as Webber but better then the other two and could be a decent addition to the team...plus they still spend less overall good for them all around.

yea that had to be the worst comment marbury has ever made and dont say the best point guard in the league one because every player has the right to say it just doesnt have the u know whats to say it...the draft is GOOD no matter what anyone says. and thank god Isiah sees that. Dont get me wrong i stick by my comment that this is a VERY weak draft with a lot of chances being taken on European products but its still a way to add young decent players.

I dont believe Isiah is over his head. i think it mite be overwhelming but i think he has the confidence for this job. I think the offseason with the expiring contracts and draft picks will be great for us. especially before next years deadline. the Houston deal Vin, Moochie, and a second round pick 2006 for Maurice wasnt very good. but on the other hand what did we lose?? two guys that dont play for a good 6'9 player who can shoot the 15 footer. the contract isnt great but as u prolly have read Isiah said the best thing about Maurice is his expiring contract in 1-2 years (i found that really funny that hed publicly say that)...by the way no matter if god himself was the GM of the Knicks he couldnt please the media. its new york. no one can. theyll complain no matter what Isiah or any GM does for that matter. if we took Webber and his contract for say Kurt and Tim the papers would of complained for taking a old ailing big contract. but philly does it and they have an allstar period. its funny. you have to laugh were important enough to be hated...much like George Bush haha

We have 2 first round draft picks. We have 1 second round draft pick. We have Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway even Rose, Taylor as bait. Im looking forward to the draft, the offseason and next years tradedeadline. :) ....

Im not being over pessimistic but we got rid of Moochie, Nazr,Vin and Brewer who did nothing (except Nazr) for two people who can be actual contributors and 2 first round picks over the next two years. thats better than nothing

Trin_Starr

Starter
Knick fan, I understand your frustration but u can't blame Isiah....The man to blame is Dolan. He will not allow the knicks to be rebuilt the right way. He is not seeing championship - he is seeing sales and to keep knicks fans coming to the garden - he believes that perpetual change is a sign that things are improving, gives fans hope and keeps them coming back and that is his biggest mistake.
Sometimes the best moves is none at all.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
remember how you were speaking so optimistically of moochie and vin's expiring contracts nyknicks15? were you envisioning that we would use those to get an OVERPAID, average at best, power forward with a bad contract? remember how you were saying that we'd be able to sign big free agents a couple of years down the road and i said that we wouldnt because isiah would be dumb enough to take on MORE bad contracts?

of course isiah is going to PRETEND to be confident in what hes doing, he'd be an idiot not to. but he cant possibly feel like he has made any improvements to this team that was actually BETTER last year.

the man to blame is isiah. not dolan. maybe the only blame i can put on dolan is for not firing isiah soon enough (or hiring him in the first place).

yes, sometimes the best moves are none at all. isiah shouldnt have made that trade with houston. what did he accomplish? he got another PF, we already have enough. he traded away cheaper, expriring contracts (which all of you were saying were going to be so useful in the future). this proves that he feels pressure to "do something". he knows he hasnt done a good job. he hasnt given me any hope. maybe only naive fans who just believe everything isiah says. but not me. now our payroll will be even more bloated.

i would have respected him if he GOT more draft picks out of houston instead of giving them up. he shouldnt have done the deal otherwise.

when will this misery end?????

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
ist true that the new york media is hard to please. thats why you just have to accept defeat, unload the roster, be a bad team for 2 years, and let the media trash you (and actually i bet the smart reporters would actually applaud that move). then, once you have 5 or 6 good draft picks and good young talent and payroll under the cap, and lets say in '06 or '07 you are in position to sign a superstar type player, you make your move. what kind of position are we in now to do ANYTHING? we are at the mercy of other teams who may or may not want to do a sign and trade.

the mets were a bad team for the last 3 years. they lost some of their fan base. but guess what, now that they have signed some big free agents, they are stealing the back covers of newspapers from the yankees. and im sure they will their fan base back, if not take away from the yankees. its simple, if you win, u get your fans back. if you lose, you lose your fans. im willing to accept defeat for 2 years. i guess nobody else is.

it really pisses me off: isiah spoke so optimistically about those expiring contracts - and what did he do? he used moochi and vin's expiring to get maurice taylor. i didnt even know that guy was a player until the trade and i had to look him up. THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF. ISIAH SUCKS. he should be fired and replaced by me.