Players that hurt the Knicks chance at playoff birth

After watching the Indiana game I noticed a lot of Knicks that could prevent the Knicks from making it all the way. For example, Michael Sweetney, he barely even played and already got two fouls. If thats the case, don't even let him start, Malik can get more done even without practice. Also you got Bruno Sundov. Just waive the guy already, he's done nothing to help us. And of course the huge problem, Stephon Marbury. Guys don't deny it, he truly isn't an exceptional point guard. Steph should get acting lessons from Vlade to get to the line more. When Marbury gets hit, he should at least try to exaggerate how he got hit so the officials can see it. Marbury is too strong yet too small to excel at the point guard position. He never runs the ball up the court (except today when he was sprinting) unless he see a fast break oppurtunity. These Knicks need to get rid of these distractions and start heading down the path to victory.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
man i dont know what marbury you're watching. But the Stephon Marbury that plays for the Knicks, does exel at the point guard position, he has perfect size at 6-2, combined with his incredible strength he can manipulate his way into the paint. If hes not pushing the floor, its not because he doesnt want to, its because Herb doesnt want him to, its not our game plan. Also if hes getting fouled the refs should call it, Nba officials should be able to call a foul, without someone trying to sell it to them. Marbury's a fine point guard

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea first off no one should take ANY direction from Vlade Divac on anything. second we are not going to get any better at the PG position. and im not marburys biggest fan but ive come to realize it. hes isiahs right hand man, hes the look of these knicks and we have to accept it.

if you watch this NBATV segment on referees and the panel sits around and judges calls that went wrong etc etc. the senior official on the show says referees cannot stand to see flops NOR do they respect the guy for taking them. plus last time i checked Marbury ranks 17th in the NBA free throw ATTEMPTS :)

I take it youve only watched on Knick game? You cant judge Mike Sweetney on that one game. Yes he is foul prone. but giving him minutes and starts develops him better. this is only his second season and he needs to learn. its not like we have a chance to come out with a championship this season so let the kid get experience.

Just waive Sundov? we have what 11-12 players? say someone goes down or we need someone to step in for a block shot play. Who are you going to turn to. the point of having people on the bench even if they dont play much is to be there for "what if" scenarios. he only makes the player minimum who cares if hes "not done nothing for us"

NYKnicks15

Starter
sorry not to answer the question i carried away in defending Marbury and Sweets. im going mad defending people i should be an attorney haha...

anyways i dont see it being anyone on our team that costs us a chance with the exception of maybe Crawford...but hes been driving into the lane and picking up the foul. hes becoming well rounded....

the players i think that will cost it for us are the Webbers, the Iversons, the Walkers and Pierces. The guys atop the Atlantic. We really have no chance sadly unless them all star tandems some how fumble the ball.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Iversons3>Marburys-What are you talking about? Marbury is the least of the problems. He is playing great and like what Peach said, he can do whatever he wants basically. He is impossible to contain off the dribble and can contain open shots.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Let's not talk about players from the Knicks hurting our chances. What about Chris Webber,Allen Iverson,Vince Carter,Jason Kidd,Paul Pierce etc. They could all hurt our chances.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
yup, i know it sounds corny but only we can hurt ourselves... every team has their stars, but we have to play through them. Like we showed against Indiana, Jermaine O'Neal is allowed to have his 20 or so points, just as long as we play good defense, and stay consistent on the offensive end. We become very streaky, and in a good sense as well. The good defense, from everyone, and most chipping in on the offensive end, is too much for one or two opposing players to stop, its a team effort.

Blumatic

Rotation player
The Marbury hating is killing me. Steph is great. Yes im a fan, but I am also critical of him. This guy is an explosive talent. If anything his pro outweighs his cons like a million to 1. Sweets does need to play better defenses and get asserive not aggressive. He needs to play defense with more of his feet and less of his big butt. If anyone in the Knicks hurt us is going to be the inefficiency of tim thomas. His defense is terrible. His shot is finally getting better but who knows how long will it last.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
Tim Thomas' defense is coming around with his overall gam. Hes getting his offense back on track, and we're noticing it, and now he will start improving his D, and we'll notice that also.

Heh heh. I've watched the Knicks for over 6 years. And to answer what someone said earlier in this topic, it doesn't matter if you are 17th in attempts, it matters if you make em'. And by the looks of this game, Marbury could have gave the Knicks the win if he hit the freethrow. :rolling:

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
IVERSON's3>Marbury's said:
Heh heh. I've watched the Knicks for over 6 years. And to answer what someone said earlier in this topic, it doesn't matter if you are 17th in attempts, it matters if you make em'. And by the looks of this game, Marbury could have gave the Knicks the win if he hit the freethrow. :rolling:

um hes also ranked 12 in the NBA in free throws made. Looks like you only remember the ones he misses, like a lot of people do...thats just a bit sad :(

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
Brian_Coleman_21 said:
You can't blame this whole game on Marbury. He came back and made 2 huge FT in overtime to give us the lead.

Exactly, Stephon could of gone to the line negative with that missed free throw in his mind (and probably a few others hes missed over the course of the season) but he went up relaxed and knocked them down.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
everybody misses a free throw once in a while. shaq misses half of them.

this is just a thought, but i wonder if the knicks would be better off with stephon as a permanent 2 guard, and jamal crawford at the 1. the 2 is supposed to be a better scorer than the 1. stephon is a better scorer than jamal. jamal can be an adequate 1 (and maybe get better). im sick of seeing the same ol' 20 and 8 from stephon. maybe he is capable of 25 and 5. for example, he gets more assists than allen iverson, but maybe the fact that allen iverson still scores like nuts just because he has that mentality is what makes him better. i wonder how good stephon could be if the coaches really just let him loose and told him to be a ball hog and try to score 40 every night. im starting to think that id rather see him as a ball hogging 25 point per night scorer. sometimes when you try to kill two birds with one stone, you miss both. when stephon tries to please his teammates and the media by looking to pass first and fit the traditional mold of a point guard, he misses out on his scoring. and when i think of stephon, i think of a scorer, not really a passer. every player should focus on his strengths, not just try to fit into the role that he is supposed to play. physically, hes just as gifted as iverson (or at least very close), maybe a little less quick, but bigger and stronger.

so thats my plea to herb williams. make stephon into a 25 and 5 guy from a 20 and 8 guy and see if he can do that. i think he could. and i think it would be better for the team. when he starts getting respect as a scorer and draws double teams, hell be able to get wide open 3 point shots for tim thomas and jamal crawford.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
jamal has and always will be a better JUMP shooter than Stephon, and for Stephon to score he needs to have the ball and the offense needs to run through him. Marbury is also a better passer, and so hes going to be far more effective at the point guard. When Marbury goes to the 2 guard during games it's so he can get a rest, and we dont want to start him them, and fence him in. He needs to have the ball so he can drive and pass, and score. Jamal will always be there to knock down his shots and take it to the hole when he gets the chance.