GAME THREAD: NYK @ ORL 3/4/05, (L-111-89)

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
This is the Official Game Thread. All game notes,predictions,in-game observations etc. belong in this thread. All game threads are created by Peach_NYK_21, and Brian_Coleman_21

kolnyk36fg.gif
@
kolorl30fk.gif

NEW YORK KNICKS (24-33) @ ORLANDO MAGIC (29-27)

stephon_marbury.jpg
vs
jameer_nelson.jpg
STEPHON MARBURY vs. JAMEER NESLSON
jamal_crawford.jpg
vs
steve_francis.jpg
JAMAL CRAWFORD vs. STEVE FRANCIS
tim_thomas.jpg
vs
grant_hill.jpg
TIM THOMAS vs. GRANT HILL
mike_sweetney.jpg
vs
dwight_howard.jpg
MIKE SWEETNEY vs. DWIGHT HOWARD
kurt_thomas.jpg
vs
kelvin_cato.jpg
KURT THOMAS vs. KELVIN CATO

Knicks Team Stats[align=right:d06e065f51]TV: MSG, NBALP[/align:d06e065f51]
Magic Team Stats[align=right:d06e065f51]RADIO: ESPN RADIO, 1050 am[/align:d06e065f51]
Team Standings

NYKnicks15

Starter
alright first off thanks Coleman for giving Sundov some props haha. Like the top symbol-record thing but the match up is a little big.

on that note its the return of my MATCH UP PREVIEW. Heres the Key (+) good for us (-) bad for us (e) even....pretty simple here we go MAGIC-KNICKS edition...

CENTERS Kurt Thomas vs Kelvin Cato--Cato does have a 2 inch height advantage here BUT thats going to happen in most to every game the knicks play with Kurt as center. We have been playing the last 3 games with Kurt undersized by 2-4 inches but guess what boys we WON the last three games. Cato outweighs Thomas by a good margin almost 50 lbs and thats where I see are advantage. Kurt mite not oversize or outpower, or out block (1.6 per game) Cato but he surely will beat him to the punch. Kurt also averages 4.5 ppg and a little less than 3 rpg more here....RATING (+)

POWERFORWARDS Mike Sweetney vs Dwight Howard--Sophmore vs Rookie. Another situation where we get outsized this one by 3 inches. Now Sweetney will overpower this kid BUT clearly doesnt have any advantage. Dwight Howard unlike Cato has that quickness to back up his size. Cant really go by average stats because Howard has been a year rounded starter but when starting they average around the same in points and rebounds. Sweetney will have a tough time defending Howard and getting shots off (1.6 blocks per game)...Sweetney will foul out early unless he comes up with a game plan in defending him before hand....RATING (-)

SMALLFORWARDS Tim Thomas vs Grant Hill--In stats Hill overwhelmingly concurs Thomas. But Tim does have everything working in his favor. If he plays how he has been and defends as he could and has been this will be a sure cut plus for the team. Tim is 2 inches taller, has a much wider wingspan and is flat out more athletic. Not to state the obvious (but thats what im doing here haha) Hills knees/age will catch up with him and theres no way he can match up with the athleticism of a one Tim Thomas. you cant rule out the possiblity of Grant Hill succeeding in this match up hes overcome a lot and is a great player BUT this for now is a rare....RATING (+)

SHOOTINGGUARDS Jamal Crawford vs Doug Christie. Not a horribly uneven match up. Crawford beats Christie in ppg 11+ more on average. Christie definitly is a good defender and good at the steals BUT we have to take in a account that Crawford is a remarkable ball handler (my second favorite right behind my boy Skip to My Lou, thats a shot out haha). So where Christie excels Crawford excels on the opposite side. I think if crawford does what i honestly thinks he does best and drives to the lane and breaks down his opponent hes got this one. Im just afraid with Christies defense Craw mite get scared and go for the lazy, run and gun, out of the blue shot that were used to that gets him that 39fg%....was going to go even here but....RATING (+)

POINT GUARDS Stephon Marbury vs Steve Francis. I LOVE let me reitirrate that LOVE watching them play each other. Even before Steph was a Knick I think they push eachother to the limit and defend, try to one up eachother every time they play. Its a pleasure watching much like an Iverson/Marbury matchup but to another degree. Not saying Francis is better than Iverson by any means BUT if your familiar with the Steph/Steve matchups your with me on this. Both have similar stats, similar size. Just will be a pleasure to watch simple as that, and even though Francis is still not 100%....RATING (e)

on the starting line ups were going out there under sized (5 inches all together) and out rebounded (6.3 rpg) ...BUT according to this unsignificant tally lol, well win this game...this here is the rubber match 1-1 this season...this will (knock on wood or :wallbash: ) but this will make the series 2-1 and the knicks 4th consecutive win!!!! :)

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
OK!!! NyKnicks15 is now our official game matchup analyzer. That was simply great Aplause Allright now that im done kissing ass, i agree on every matchup. However i believe the powerforward position will be deeper than we see. Sweetney's chance of picking up early fouls is at its highest probability with him guarding Howard. Now when he does exit the game, we have JYD and the PITBULL (jyd's nickname for malik) two of the most defensive guys on this team. And that trio should be able to contain howard and at the same time contribute to the offense. Again thank you NYknicks15 for the summary.. keep it coming

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
NYKnicks15 said:
alright first off thanks Coleman for giving Sundov some props haha. Like the top symbol-record thing but the match up is a little big.

Bruno is the man, without him we would have nothing and no image.

Now for my Predictions

Stephon Marbury-31 Pts. 7 Assists
Jamal Crawford-19 Pts. 3 Assists
Tim Thomas 23 Pts. 7 Reb.
Mike Sweetney 9 Pts. 10 Reb.
Kurt Thomas 18 Pts. 12 Reb.

Knicks Win 104-99

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
its tough to predict peoples point totals and other stats.. if you get one of those right, i have to give you mad props

JaDaMeL05

Benchwarmer
Wow this is a great setup and analysis guys. Im not tryin to put more work on your shoulders, but it would look even better if we found a way to work the KEY PLAYERS on each teams benches into a stat comparison, cuz its not always the starters that determine the game. Hardaway, Ariza and Williams are great off the bench. The magics also have people like Jameer Nelson, Hedo Turkoglu and Tony Battie. Also, I thought Steve was gonna play Shooting Guard and Nelson was starting at point. Thats what they've been usin for the past 2 games.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
ok thanks, jadamel, i'll fix the lineups, i did the starters off the top of my head, should have consulted a depth chart from cbssportsline.com, but getting it from you is fine, thanks.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
I would have to say if tim tohmas plays big again hes prob gonna be a gauranteed 17 18 points a night from now on the guy is beasting everyone. It must feel good to get some cheers after all hes gon through with his family , and all the booing hes gotten at the garden GO TIM!!!!

NYKnicks15

Starter
im glad someone finally brings up that point. kudos for the that pbj. we had a discussion about him a while back and no one gave this guy the time of day. I think me and i forgot who it was that had "i still have believe in tim thomas" as there signature were the only two to defend this guy...

hes what the NBA prototype should be body, athleticism and ability wise. He has everything a star needs to succeed. Just early in his career never put that effort forward. and blame it with what you want but if you look at his stats hes barely ever started full time and that could be a factor in why he averaged 11 ppg. not until the 02-03 season he hadnt started more than 1 half the games or even close to that. But when he starts night in and night out like his last two years in Milwaukee and his 2 seasons in New York hes averaged 14-15 ppg. not incredible by anymeans but good none the less. and yes not consistently ill have to agree there...

another thing and most importantly his family. from his cousin, to his wife, to his mother illness or death has struck his family greatly in the last year or so. and you have to believe that takes a lot away from your focus. I know people pay good money to see the knicks play and have the right to boo but im sure thats not going to motivate him in a time like this (prior). I think that was a true low for knicks fans by the way, i was disgusted. Considering people most likely know whats happening behind the scenes with this guy...Now that everything is settled with the family for the most part we can expect consistent play and he will deliver hopefully...but just like pbj said GO TIM!!!! BLESS YOUR FAMILY!!! HERES TO CHEERS FOR MANY MORE YEARS!!!! :)

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
Tim Thomas is a feel good story. Hes had to overcome those deaths, and all those family related problems and now with the money part of the season approaching, his game is finally here. he is now going strong to the hoop and instead of flicking the ball up hes going up straight and shooting it regularly. Also hes picking up the rebounding and is getting that outside touch. Tim Thomas is the X factor for this team. If he plays well, we play well, and we need him to play great now.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
oops, forgot my predictions... think we'll go on our longest winning streak of the season... we win 106-100 and extend the streak to 4

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
This is why I love this site! I read all the posts and I really got to give it up to all of you...You really know what your talking about! I agree with Peach about Tim Thomas. He's definitely a great story, just like Grant Hill. I get really excited the way the fellas have rallied behind Herb Williams. Defensively they are really getting after teams. NYKnicks15 get props for the in depth analysis. That's an awesome breakdown! I also feel this a game the guys should win. I think they'll come up big, and because Orlando played Philly tonight. I take the Knicks big in this one. I say the score will be 101-86 Knicks. Well I hope that we're all right, cause that means 4 in a row!

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
the magic played wednesday and our last game was monday hopefully those extra two days of work as an advantage and our players are more rested up and healthy.... i think that could be a significant advantage

Trin_Starr

Starter
We need this win real bad!
Winning tomorrow will allow the knicks to move into 4th place in the atlantic and be 1 game behind NJ (3rd place) because they will most likely lose to Miami tonight (Shaq and Mourning should be in the lineup)

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I gotta agree with Trin, with two legitimate starting centers in Miami, I think they'll be a load. However...did anyone see the interview with Shaq. He looks totally bummed out that Zo came to town. So now that I give a little more thought, we might have a better chance if egos start clashing.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
First off, i agree with pbjb, Herb said he was looking forward to hese extra days of practice, he said its just what we need, and we're winning now so it's win-win.

Also Miami now adds Zo, and i feel real bad for Mike Doleac. he was playing great in Miami and for the ifrst time, i feel he really felt at home.. too bad, he was one of my favorite knicks.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I wouldnt feel bad for Michael Doleac at all. Hes most likely going to the NBA Finals this year and will possibly win a ring. Feel bad for Wesley Person who got waived and completely loses that chance...

Now just like we have 5 PFs...Miami has Shaq at Center and thats the only definite right now. they have backs ups Michael Doleac, Wang Zhizhi, Christian Laettner, Alonzo Mourning and Udonis Haslem. Zhizhi is not an option or concern to play minutes here so its down to Doleac, Laettner, Mourning and Haslem. More than likely Mourning and Haslem will share that PF spot. Mourning coming off the bench filling in for Haslem or Shaq or possibly starting at the PF permanently. I think Doleac will still have a good play of minutes here. Shaq is said to be high on him (unlike his feelings for Mourning) and i still see him getting minutes...Doleac has a plus here back up to O'Neal or Mourning and good chance at a ring...

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
miami is the complete oposite of us!! instead of being without any centers, they are over run with them!! lucky duckies..