6th man of the year & rookie of the year: BEN GORDON

vince

Rookie
56 G 3 GS 23.4MPG
14.8 PPG 2.60 RPG 2 APG
.438 FG% .440 3PT % .845 FT%

According to me, he's the rookie of the year AND the 6th man of the year. No doubt :afro:

NYKnicks15

Starter
Shooting down the Stackhouse choice....
44G 6GS 30.8mpg
15.7ppg .3.50rpg 2.3apg
.417FG% .237 3PT% .862FT

He gets a lot more minutes on an average than Gordon and with this still only gets .9 more ppg than the rookie. His FG%. 3PT%. are a considerable amount lower than Ben's. and Stackhouse starts 13.6% of the Mavericks games....Gordon starts only .595% of the Bulls games... :machinegun:

DESERVING the 6th man award this year: BEN GORDON :winner:

But making the rookie of the year award...its going to be a UCONN type year but its def. going to Emeka Okafor.

49G 49GS 35.7mpg
14.6ppg 10.80 rpg
.439 FG% .586FT% 1.53 bpg

Ranks #5 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game
Ranks #18 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game
Ranks #15 in the NBA in Total Rebounds
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Double-doubles
Ranks #19 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes
Ranks #14 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes

and he does all this with only a 3 personal fouls per game and most importantly basically nobodies around him. Hes deserving same reason LeBron deserves the MVP award NOT nash who has practically 4 allstars around him....Okafor puts this team on the map. They have 12 wins (not much) but they are ahead of Atlanta and only one win behind New Orleans. Not bad for an expansion team and by no means are they going to beat the records for most wins by an expansion team (bulls with 33) but they are going to rank pretty close up there with 25 games left in the season.

DESERVING the Rookie of the year award this year: EMEKA OKAFOR :winner:

vince

Rookie
- Gordon scores more than okafor whereas he plays 13 mpg less than okafor
- He's an outside shooter and has a better FG%
- The most important : the bulls will make the playoff and are a 50% team. Nobody expected that.

Now it's true that okafor averages a double-double BUT he's playing for a horrible team. Put him on a good team and there is no way he averages these stats. And as you said 12 wins is not very much...
But I give him a lot of credit because he really showed some good skills during the season.
What are you thinking about the 2 sharing the award ?

NYKnicks15

Starter
dont think it should happen. it will go to Okafor directly...he mite average more but Gordon is not a go to start type guy at the moment....look at the times Ben Gordon did start...

1. against the Nets...0-6 with 3 points for the night...took him out of the game

2. against the Pacers...6-14 with 17 points for the night...

3. against the Suns...3-9 with 6 points for the night...also sat the bench after this poor showing aswell

an average of 2 TO's per those starts aswell....all LOSSES by the way...hes not a go to guy, a dependable guy that your team relies on night in and night out...unlike Okafor...

yes the Bulls are going to the playoffs...but look who he has around him, surely not allstars but a good team none the less...Curry, Chandler, Nocioni, Deng and Hinrich....who does Okafor have around him? Just like LeBron (who won the Rookie title last year) nobody....now we havent seen LeBron play with superstars or a good team does that mean he wouldnt average what he still does? we just dont know so we have to take him for what his stats say....

ohhhhh I believe Carmello was in the running for rookie of the year last year aswell right? His team made the playoffs...LeBrons didnt...who won that rookie of the year title again?? ;)

vince

Rookie
You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying that Gordon will win the award but IN MY OPINION he deserves to win it. Also you pick the 3 games that Gordon starts but you don't give details: How many minutes does he play during these games ? he can start a game but only plays 20 minutes. I don't care about the fact that a player start a game, only the minutes he plays are interesting. Also, you can't judge a player who only plays 3 GS. Gordon is a go-to-player who wins games for his team. Just remember his buzzer beater against the knicks. Now, as I've said before, it's just my opinion so don't take it personnaly ;) . You have some good points and I think that okafor will win the award. But in my mind Gordon deserves it :afro:

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
atleast Gordon will have the title of "rookie of the year runner up" and Bulls "rookie of the year". Okafor is just too big a candidate to ignore, and the votes will gravitate towards him.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i think okafor or maybe dwight howard (unless orl continues to fade). averaging a double double as a rookie is mad impressive and gordons line is 2 rpg and apg....not a lot.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
What impresses me about Okafor is he is putting up a double-double with a putrid team. Every night basically all the pressure falls on him where as Dwight Howard he has Stevie Franchise and Grant Hill to do a lot of the scoring.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
JaDaMeL05 said:
I think Ricky D, should get some consideration for 6th man of the year.

i think theres a limit to how many gaes you can start and win 6th man, and i think i heasrd on sportcenter that because he started a lot of games in the begining of the year, he has already passed the limit

NYKnicks15

Starter
Interesting that Scottie Pippen picked Ben Gordon. Pippen is an ex Bull right? Well not saying thats the reason, but lets examine the excuses he brought to the table...yes excuses haha

ben_gordon.jpg
Ben --- Points-- 14.9; Minutes Per Game: 23.8, FG -- 42.5%; FT -- .847%; Rebounds -- 2.6; Assists -- 1.8; Team Victories = 35

emeka_okafor.jpg
Emeka ---Points -- 14.8; Minutes Per Game: 35.7; FG -- .44%; FT -- .575%; Rebounds -- 10.7; Assists -- .9; Team Victories = 13

GORDON has .1 more ppg
GORDON plays 11.9 mpg less then OKAFOR
GORDON has more wins then OKAFOR...

all true facts.

But lets think about this more. I believe the questions that need to be answered when voting is who is more valuable to their team? Who is the better all around player?

First off better all around player does not mean who wins more. Look at LeBron who won when runner up Carmello made it to the playoffs. Now does "better" stats then someone in less minutes mean a better player? NO...I think better player is someone is all around better at their position.

Being a F-C needs a few necessities to be called great at that position. Scoring, Rebounding, Shot Blocks...Emeka does all those with A+
14.9 PPG 10.7 RPG and 1.68 BPG

a matter of fact heres how he ranks among other players...
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(10.7)
Ranks #17 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(1.68
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds(225.0)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.8
Ranks #17 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds(407.0)
Ranks #12 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(6.9)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Total Rebounds(632.0)
Ranks #18 in the NBA in Blocks(99.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Double-doubles(36.0)
Ranks #13 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(5.1)
Ranks #14 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(14.4)

Now Ben Gordon on the other hand, who is a G. He plays the shooting and point back and forth. actually a PG. Being a G needs a few necessities to be called great at that position....Scoring, Assists, Possibly Steals per game, and FG%...Ben does NOT do that with an A+
14.9 PPG, 1.8 APG, .58 SPG, and 42.5FG%...How are you going to say hes a great guard, or dominant at his position and he has only 1.8 Assists per game?!?

Besides for that hes fine, besides the point that Emeka beats him in Steals (yes that can come with more minutes ill agree with that) but Emeka still beats him in Field goal percentage, right?? heres Bens rankings...

Ranks #12 in the NBA in Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage(0.418)
Ranks #9 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(10.88
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes(25.57)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(3.36)
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes(30.0)
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes(4.67)

now to Scottie's Pippens "ingenious" answer of "Gordon has more wins". Well Scottie of all people should know its now how great ONE person is its how great the TEAM is. A team is not one person. haha (if he wants to keep his 50 greatest players title he should state that atleast ;) )

Yes The Bulls do heavily have a better record then the EXPANSION Bobcats. On the contrary Emeka has 13 more wins the Gordon when starting :lol: ...now that i put the stats out there, Scottie also said something about whos more important to their team...he answered Gordon "because their a winning team"...

Well ill let you guys make your own assumptions, but heres the two teams rosters WITHOUT the rookie of the year candidates on them...

THE BULLS
C Eddy Curry/Jared Reiner
F Tyson Chandler/Antonio Davis/Othella Harrington
F Luol Deng/Andres Niocioni/Adrian Griffin
G Kirk Hinrich/Eric Piatkowski
G Chris Duhon/Frank Williams/Jannero Pargo

THE BOBCATS
C Primoz Brezec/Melvin Ely
F Malik Allen
F Gerald Wallace/Theron Smith/Tamar Slay/Jason Kapono
G Kareem Rush/Bernard Robinson//Keith Bogans/Matt Carroll
G Brevin Knight/Jason Hart/Cory Alexander

Who needs their team more?...

Do you think the Bulls would have a 3 game over 500 record without Ben Gordon???

Do you think the Bobcats without Emeka Okafor would even have 13 wins, or decently close in any game???

there BOTH valuable to their teams BUT it should be debated who is more valuable. Who is the better player? How does Okafor rank up there in his position with other Forwards...How does Gordon rank up there in his position with other Guards?...just like the MVP award will go to Nash who their team cant play without, this award should go to the same equivalent of that....Emeka Okafor :winner:

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
But lets think about this more. I believe the questions that need to be answered when voting is who is more valuable to their team? Who is the better all around player?

i dont think rookie of the year necessarily regards team value - more so individual. if it was id say ben gordon but if its just individual def okafor or howard

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea but dont you believe individual status involves that? Whos the overall best player. Whos most contributing to their team. Whos better at their position etc etc

Your saying Ben Gordon is more important to the Bulls then Okafor is to the Bobcats???

vince

Rookie
It's not difficult for okafor to be important to the bobcats...... They are an awful team. Furthermore It's easy to say that the bulls are a good team now but what did you think at the beginning of the season ? And we don't care if ben only averages 2 assists in 23 MPG (he's a shooting guard not a PG) because he wins games with terrific 4th quarters. "How are you going to say hes a great guard, or dominant at his position and he has only 1.8 Assists per game?!? " Don't know why but you seems to dislike ben.

NYKnicks15

Starter
no I dont dislike Ben Gordon and I dont necessarily like Emeka Okafor...I must have been mistaken, I thought this thread was to debate who deserves the Rookie of the year and 6th Man award...

Ben actually is a PG. He played PG in College. He was billed a PG in the draft. and he plays more of a substitute for Duhon who starts at PG then for Hinrich who plays the SG. So assists should be a factor.

Sorry whos we? are you on the voting committee? I dont think its a matter of what someone does only in one quarter. If that was the case Stephon Marbury would be the worst player ever on some nights as he doesnt score any in a quarter..Its a matter of what someone does through out the game.

Yes Gordon is a great boost of the bench and hes just that. If hes the best rookie on the team then why isnt he starting over Chris Duhon? Makes no sense to me. Actually I do remember the first three games of the season, Gordon started all those...I believe they lost them all and Gordon got pulled out early due to lack of good play.

At the beginning of the Bulls season I was disappointed. They had a chance of being a good team and blew it. They just finally kicked into their potential after that. Whats that have to do with it though?

Yes the Bobcats are an awful team. And no Gordon is not a starter...so I guess we can only go by the facts. its not a what if, Gordon started all games, or had more minutes, or was on a worse team...its what we actually see and what they do with what they have..and by all means both players do a great job of it...but i still think it goes to Emeka Okafor..