We may have the perfect coach

mdelton

Rookie
Unless Phil Jackson is truly interested I think that Herb Williams is our guy. I really like what Herb has done with the defensive side of the ball. He is the first coach since Van Gundy to really get these guys to walk the walk on defnese and not just talk the talk.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
If we can't get Brown or Phil, I would definetely vote for Herb to keep his job...I think this final push in the end of the season is what is going to determine his future as the Knicks Head coach.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
yeah, it would be sad to se Herb go, if we can save this season (save, meaning 5 games under .500), I think Isiah will have no problem in letting him keep his head coach job, or if we land another one, still have him on the bench.

mdelton

Rookie
Brown would not interest me, he is clearly a great eacher, however, he improves a team, then his act wears thin on the players and he leaves. we really need a coach to stick for three or four years.

The only way I would bring in a larry brown is if he comes in with the understanding that he is there for two years, to shape the team up and turn the reigns over to someone like Herb Williams, the team could learn a lot from LArry and so could Herb.

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
at the beginning i was saying that larry brown would be the perfect fit for the knicks but herb is doing a tremendous job in the defensive end so i say keep the coach that the players will respect and listen the most.

Who do you think the players listen the most guys ? i can't make a decision... :?

Last games we defeated some good teams, proving good work of the coach.

Is hard make a good work without a good roster but Herb Williams is knowing how to use every skill of each player improving our game in the court.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
Yup, I think thats the perfect way to put it. hes not trying to make guys do things they can do. For instacne, Jerome Williams has played a lot less under Herb, but thats fine, because when we used to see him, it was because the starters hadnt done their job. Seeing less of jerome means the starters are doing their job, and everyone is contributing with their strengths.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
herb doesnt seem to command "fear" or respect from his players like all the great coaches do. for example, george karl is known to play mind games, phil jackson is known as a zen master, larry brown is a master of x's and o's. but it just seems like herb wont be able get down on young players like crawford and ariza and mold them into stars, he seems like a pushover or a players coach kind of guy (like lenny wilkens). the knicks need a tough nosed guy whos going to get in the young guys faces and bring some attitude to the bench. i know that theres probably a 0.1% chance that this would happen, but id like to see someone like a bob knight come to coach the knicks.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
What up TmAc N Knicks4life! Haven't seen you post for a while so I had to shout you out! Hope you cop that the Benjamin Franklin! I like what Herb Williams is doing. I don't think the Knicks need a "Fear" styled coach. I think they need a guy who can instill a work ethic. Van Gundy started out as a technical style coach, and look at his success. Do you really think Marbury gonna listen to screaming coach. If you think he will, go back to the summer with the USA Basketball team. Brown sat all the young players, and look at the seasons they are having. Lebron is an legitimate MVP candidate, Amare Stoudemire has gotten mention for MVP, Carmelo is finally playing up to his potential again. Sweetney and Ariza wouldn't play much in a Larry Brown system. As for Phil Jackson, all he knows is triangle. Plus if Herb Williams comes back as coach, Ewing has said he would join his staff as an assistant!!

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
just because ewing was a good player doesnt make him a good coach. hes been roaming around the league as an assistant for several years now. in washington, he didnt seem to help kwame brown and haywood much. in houston he hasnt seemed to help yao ming much. i could care less if he commes back as an assistant coach or not.

i dont think jackson would be a good fit in ny. brown would be proabbly be better. but, marbury does definetely need someone who can push him and get in his face, especialyl when he gets lazy on defense. obviously, if its someone he doesn't respect, then he wont take well to the criticism or screaming. but if its someone who has respect and is backed by isiah (bob knight), marbury would HAVE to listen. also i think bob knight is the kind of guy that has the balls to take a job in a not so great situation.

its so funny how quickly people jump on bandwagons. just because the knicks have won a few games, everyone thinks its because of herb. if they had lost 5 games in a row after he became the coach, everyone would probably be saying that its because of him, and saying that hes a bad coach. i dont think it has anything to do with herb. through the course of an 82 game nba season, every team has little winning and losing streaks. its normal. hes just too passive. even van gundy, athough he didnt get in players faces, did have some intensity in him. remember the time he pulled on alonzo's leg? could you ever picture herb doing something like that? van gundy has an ability to get players to listen to him because he has that "spunk". herb williams and lenny wilkens lack that. you'll neve hear them make a controversial statement do anything abnormal. they are like ART HOWE. those type of guys just dont last in new york, generally speaking.

NYKnicks15

Starter
coaches...

PHIL-Now next year if Isiah doesnt get Phil, fans and Dolans dad are going to be pissed. and if so they dont understand basketball. Taking nothing away from Phil but people say he was handed great players and he has. Frankly with the people we have im doubting the triangle will work, and not sure i want it to be even executed. It gets old, and unless you have someone like Shaq in the paint its not as great as those 9 rings show it is....With all the money we could be giving this guy we could feed a nation. We dont have a starting lineup of all star players, we dont have a Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Scottie Pippen or Kobe Bryant...we have the Knicks, could he do it with them?

LARRY-Hes what 70 something? now age doesnt seem like it matters as long as they win right? true BUT hes already talking about finishing out his career in Detroit and why do you want another guy whos just going to retire or leave us 1-2 years down the road? Brown wouldnt play Sweetney or Ariza as much as they need to be and that goes against the direction im hoping we go in.

FLIP- Who Marbury is pushing for (and we all know Marbury gets what he tells Isiah (aka Van Horn gone, Lenny hired, and probably Kurt gone in the offseason)...I dont know how much faith I have in a man who cant take Garnett past the first round of the playoffs in what 9 years?? Isiah is said to interview him this offseason and who knows what will happen...Marbury did say the knicks dont need to rebuild through drafts, and Isiah trades for draft picks...maybe he doesnt do everything Stephon says...

HERB-right now im thinking we should stay with Herb. You can't deny since hes had time to practice with them and has time to talk with them (aka the Allstar break) they have been playing considerably better. Lenny didnt do anything and I never supported him, not because he didnt yell on the court but because you can tell he didnt stress anything enough beyond the court...when Laid back Lenny was coach did you see them play an ounce of D? No. when he was coach to did you see Crawford think twice before shooting an erratic shot? No. when he was coach did you see Tim Thomas or Sweetney step it up? Not as much. With Herb are wins are up obviously, and our assists per game are up, are defense is definetly better and we look for the pass first for the most part....so do we actually know what happens in practice? No. Any reports of serious practices going on when Lenny was coach? No but Herb as coach, marbury and thomas fight with eachother over getting better. thomas and sundov got in a spat in a serious practice. Penny and Tim argue over defense...I guess we are actually taking it seriously compared to the "Lenny days". So dont judge what you see in interviews as whats really going on.Stats are stats and they speak for themselves. and the fact is they are playing better ball...

EWING- He spent one season with Washington, not much you can do in one year but when Ewing joined the Wizards Kwames stats went up...2.9 PPG, 1.7 RPG, and FG% .6...in Houston, second year as assistant, Yao Ming who he works with has gone up almost 5 PPG, and about .5 in FG%...aswell as learning new moves getting to the basket...now i know that comes with maturing but its also the help of your coaches...

now say Ewing joins the bench, Herb stays the head coach...Herb and Ewing played together, are friends, but most importantly Big Men when they played...say we get Kwame (who Ewing is familiar with) or Curry or a center in the draft, and we still have Sweetney (hopefully)...who would you want to coach and help them develop better....I think Herb Williams, Mark Aguirre and Patrick Ewing would be my pick... :)

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
no, no, no. bob knight. at least ill have fun reading about some crazy thing he did in the papers. herb and patrick are to very boring coaches. i dont think it was patrick that helped kwame, that was just the natural progression of an 18 year old rookie getting better, learning the game, getting stronger, improving his shot, etc...i remember once when jordan was asked about ewing when he was playing there (his last year), and he was like "i cant believe we actually pay this guy to sit on the bench and do nothing". then later he said "just kidding, hes a hall of fame player and been a good help to kwame and the other young big guys" (but i think the second part was just his political answer and the first part was his honest answer). and knight was isiah's old coach at indiana, so there's definetely going to be a respect thing there.

if for nothing else, i think bringing knight to ny would be a great PR move, and it would def. get fans interested and wanna see "whats going to happen next". he'd keep everyone on the edge of their seats. hed bring some spunk and attitude back to the bench. and he might be able to get through to people like marbury and tell him "you lazy slob, either play good defense which we know you are capable of, or else im gonna fry you". he'll tell crawford "stop taking these stupid shots you idiot. are you a 4 year old child that doesnt understand that these wild shots completely disrupt the chemistry and flow of our offense?" who knows, it might not work, as college players are easier to yell at than grown men in the nba.

but, like i said, i just think it would be funny to see bobby knight in ny. of course, i have no basis for even creating this rumor, because he might not want to be a coach in the nba, and he might not want to come to the knicks, and isiah thomas might not be interested in hiring him as a coach.

Even though Larry Brown or Phil Jackson are available, I would still want Herb Williams as our head coach for next season. Herb was put into a very sticky situation when he replaced Lenny and he has made good of it. Lenny was aware of the teams poor defense and Jamal's shot selections, yet he had done nothing about it.

Also, I think it suits the players and the situation to have a guy like Herb.
The team wants to get more younger and although Herb has been around for a while, it's his first time he has control of coaching a team for at least the remainder of the season. The players along with Herb can grow together.

H20 OFFdaHizZLe

Benchwarmer
i agree with "a knick fan". just because the knicks are having a good stretch of games, it doesnt make herb williams or isiah thomas or in fact anyone "the key to the organization". if the knicks continue this stretch for the rest of the season like the Pistons did last season, then we got a true coach and a true team. but i think it's too early to say anything about our head coach right now. as soon as the Knicks go on another one of those 3-4 game losing streaks, everyone is going to blame Herb Williams right? I say we just keep our fingers crossed for the best and see what happens. I'm a huge Knicks fan and I hate to say this, but even if the Knicks get into the playoffs, they aren't going anywhere in it. I hope some day this team rebuilds to be one of the elites of the Eastern Conference, and the NBA....

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
why not, mike k. was thinking about leaving duke for the lakers after coaching college only for such a long time...and i think for the right amount of money, you never know, he might take it. many college coaches have made an attempt to coach in the nba after having long, illustrious careers at the college level. but yeah, i havent heard any rumor that hes even remotely interested in coaching in the nba. it could be a feel good story though, since he was isiah's old coach at indiana, and i remember isiah defended bob knight when others were getting on him, saying "i hope he never changes". so there definetely seems to be mutual respect between the two.

basically, all im saying, is that basketball, like any other sport, is supposed to be entertainment for fans. bob knight would provide much more entertainment, and develop much more interest in the knicks than herb williams would. theres no denying that. people watch wrestling on tv because its entertainment. imagine if the characters were very bland and never did anything interesting, would people still watch wrestling, even if they were very good "technical wrestlers"? if for nothing else, the knicks should do it from a business point of view. also, hes supposedly a very good coach, and does seem to be able to instill some fear in some young players. for example, maybe he could push tim thomas and help him achieve his maximum potential by really getting on him.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Bob Knight is like PJ Carlesimo. PJ didn't work in the league, neither would Knight. If he ever got offered a job now (it'd never happen), I think he'd get tuned out by the players after his first big tirade. Depending on who's coaching, is how we draw free agents. Players may come to play for Phil or Brown. If a coach is going to be successful, he has to have the support of management. If this happens, said coach can implement their system. Mo Cheeks had this lack of support happen, and he got the axe. I mean, so did Lenny Wilkens. Except Mo Cheeks had a better system, GM John Nash, Zach Randolph & Darius Miles did in.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
bob knight was isiah's old coach. he will DEFINETELY have the support of management. what the hell are you talking about? in fact, he is probably one of the few guys that can actually dictate isiah more than isiah would dictate him. there's probably no other coach who would have support from management MORE than bob knight.

pj carleismo was working with spurs last i remember, as an assistant coach, wasnt he? so hes doing fine. what about don chaney, he never got in players faces, and hes out of the league too. does that mean if you dont get in players faces, you will be out of this league? to say that one type of coach cant last in league based on one example (pj carlesimo) is ridiculous. because there's at least one coach with every different type of personality who has succeeded, and who has failed, in this league. and actually, i think if you look at the best coaches in the league, there is a sort of "brick wall" between the coaches and the players a little bit, where the coaches aren't buddy buddy with the players. phil jackson, i doubt, ever hung out with shaq and kobe, he probably did his own thing after the game. mo cheeks wouldnt be a good fit at all. the reason he had a lack of support was because he established a lack of authority and tried to be too much of a "players coach". thats what happens when you kiss up the playes too much, they start developing attitudes and dont even respect you (like miles who didnt respect cheeks). and thats why i dont think flip saunders would be a great fit either, since marbury likes him, he might try to suck up to him and be less of a "coach" and more of a "friend". its a players league, and the coaches (at least the weak ones) often recognize that and play second fiddle to the players. the GOOD coaches establish their own authority and keep themselves at a level ABOVE the players.

and dont say bob knight is the same as pj carlesimo. bob knight commands much more respect. and he wouldnt take anybody's shit. if spreewell tried to choke bob knight, bob knight would choke him back, or worse. and i can BET that no player would ever dare to choke knight in the first place. so they aren't the same. dont make those silly comparisons. no two people on this planet are the same.

im not saying knight would necessarily be an amazing coach, but i think its worth a try. its true, maybe players wouldnt react well to his tirades. but, who knows, maybe they would. ive never met bob knight, and im not a gm. so i dont have first hand info on exactly the kind of person he is, and how well a guy like marbury or crawford would react to him.

even if it didnt work out so well, im sure it would improve ratings and definetely generate interest in the knicks. hes an entertaining guy. thats what basketball is supposed to be, entertainment. from a public relations and business point of view, it would be a great move by the knicks.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
its hard to tell how Herb is effecting the team as of right now.. if we get to see him as our coach next season, then we can see how he reacts to a clean slate, i feel Herb deserves a brand new start