van Gundy

allan20

Benchwarmer
the daily news reported that the NY Knicks allowed JVG to talk with the rockets about a possible contract. also, the former sixers coach larry brown who resigned was mentioned, but it seems that he will take care of the olympics team
man i hope van gundy will get this job

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
yeah, but he rejected it, being more interested in a clevelend contract
that's understandable.. who wouldn't wanna coach Lebron?

allan20

Benchwarmer
if cleveland signs van gundy.. don't we get something? a pick.. a player...?
i mean he's still under a contract with us untill july :)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
http://media.nykfan.8k.com/news/0203/06/05.html
Rocket GM Carroll Dawson said on a Houston radio station yesterday, "It's definitely his if he wants it, yeah. If everything goes well, then there's a good chance he gets an offer."

The former Knick coach plans to visit Houston today to take a tour of the Rockets' practice facility, meet with team officials and check out schools, the city and housing.

all JVG must do is sign the paper, and i'm pretty sure he misses his old job

allan20

Benchwarmer
yes, i'm with you, the article also mentiones about bringing his old staff there and maybe ewing to help ming
they'll rock next season 8)

Irv

Rookie
I hope JVG knows what he's doing if he goes back to coaching. He's a lot less stressed as a commentator for TNT and the bags under his eyes have been long gone.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
allan20 said:
if cleveland signs van gundy.. don't we get something? a pick.. a player...?
i mean he's still under a contract with us untill july :)
untill august actually :)
check out this daily news article
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/90809p-82577c.html
daily news said:
The Knicks, who own Van Gundy's rights until July 31, asked the Rockets for a second-round pick and a guarantee of at least two exhibition games that would bring Houston center Yao Ming to Madison Square Garden.

The compensation issue could be moot if Van Gundy turns down both Houston and Washington. Van Gundy is expected to make a decision today or tomorrow. Van Gundy, who was holed up in his Westchester home yesterday debating his future, is also considering returning to television for another season as an analyst for TNT.

Irv

Rookie
As I said on my board, the compensation is so insignificant and Layden would probably bumble the extra draft pick anyway. Whatever the Rockets give the Knicks as compensation may as well not exist from a Knick fan's standpoint.

If anybody thinks that a second round pick is worth anything to the Knicks, Michael Wright and Eric Chenowith would like to have a word with you. :lol:

Anyway, it looks like Van Gundy has taken the job with the Rockets. I truly hope he does well, but I think he's forgotten how well he's had it for the last couple of years without having to study game film until 4 AM every morning. :?

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
huh.. anything is better than nothing :)
anyway, i wish van gundy all the best and good luck with the rockets.
they'll probably grow much into defense and i'm sure they'll make the playoffs next year