Official Draft Thread

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
NYKnicks15 said:
is that really the best possible line up? As much as I would like Kwame on the team 6 years-7 million dollars?! Harrington back in Indy? Artest leaves Indy?

C Bruno Sundov
C Jackie Butler
F Kurt Thomas
F Maurice Taylor
F Mike Sweetney
F Malik Rose
F Jerome Williams
F Tim Thomas
F Trevor Ariza
G Jamal Crawford
G Penny Hardaway
G Allan Houston
G Stephon Marbury
G Jermaine Jackson

Dont resign Jermaine Jackson or Jackie Butler at the moment
Resign Bruno Sundov for very cheap of course

SEA GETS- Penny Hardaway, Jamal Crawford & Bruno Sundov
NYK GETS- Ray Allen & Vitaly Potapenko

CLE GETS- Maurice Taylor and Kurt Thomas (or Jerome Williams)
NYK GETS- Zydrunas Iglauskas

WAS GETS-Jerome Williams (or Kurt Thomas)
NYK GETS- Kwame Brown

DRAFT- G Gerald Green & G Julius Hodge (who could go in the second) and trade up with our 30th to get a Hakim Warrick or Johan Petro unless the are still there...

C Zydrunas Iglauskas/ Kwame Brown/ Vitaly Potapenko
PF Mike Sweetney/ Malik Rose/ Johan Petro
SF Tim Thomas/ Trevor Ariza
SG Ray Allen/ Gerald Green/Allan Houston
PG Stephon Marbury/Julius Hodge

Realistic in chances...realistic in going to happen? probably not. But i think with what we have and due to budget restrictions I think THIS is the best possible line up...

Oh how I whish we could pull off that deal with Seattle!!! Ray Allen a Knick would be something!! I Don't think Kwame is a 5 and I think he really will excel if the Knicks got him and put him at the 4! I would still try to go after Miles from Portland and play him at the 2/3. Start him at the 2 and move him to the 3 when/if Crawford plays. I think Z will come to the knicks, he just bought a house in NY, but I think his stay with Cleveland will hinge on what the new front office does and makes public about their plans on keeping James. So, I would go after Deron Williams if he falls to 8, I know he is projected higher but I have a gut feeling that the big guys are going to dominate the top half of the draft. I'm not sure what big guy would help the knicks.. Chris Taft.. I see a future Wilcox here. Channing Frye ... 7'1" and around 235-240... Not the fixture in the middle that I would hope for.. Johan Petro.. If we can get him at 30 I would consider it but I would take him with my second round pick with out a doubt but I don't think he would fall that far. I don't think he will fall to 30, these day big guys are worth their weight in gold. I would try to trade for the big guy and draft a 1 or a 2. I would consider Antoine Wright with the pick. He has potential and might be that diamond in the rough! He is very athletic, drives to the basket. I would try to get the big guy through trade.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
pbjb14 said:
Gerald Green is the truth if Isiah doesnt draft him and hes available it would be the biggest mistake this franchise has made in the past 5 years....and with this franchise that says alot

Another 6'8" forward to go along with KT, Junkyard, Rose, Sweets, Taylor, and Ariza... We need to get some size at the 4,5 and we need someone at the 2 who will drive to the basket and defend the position. I think Antoine Wright is the way to go. He will address a much sought after solution at the guard; someone who will take it to the rim! I think the should address size via trades.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
hometheaterguy said:
pbjb14 said:
Gerald Green is the truth if Isiah doesnt draft him and hes available it would be the biggest mistake this franchise has made in the past 5 years....and with this franchise that says alot

Another 6'8" forward to go along with KT, Junkyard, Rose, Sweets, Taylor, and Ariza... We need to get some size at the 4,5 and we need someone at the 2 who will drive to the basket and defend the position. I think Antoine Wright is the way to go. He will address a much sought after solution at the guard; someone who will take it to the rim! I think the should address size via trades.

u want someone who will take it to the rim? and u think green isnt the answer? Lets be real theres no gaurantee big man talent after andrew bogut so why not fill the other position we have a void at isiah wanted a swingman and a big man trade for a big man like Zydrunas Ilgauskus or someone and draft green

how nasty would this lineup be

marbury
crawford
ariza
sweetney
zydrunas
and then green filling in when ariza sits at sf and at sg when crawford sits

Knicker Bocker

Benchwarmer
Marvin Williams to Atlanta

NBADraft.net received word late Thursday that Atlanta will likely use their (recently won in lottery) second pick in the draft on Marvin Williams and not Chris Paul as first thought. Though the team already has Josh Smith and Josh Childress, and has more of a need for PG, the team feels Williams is by far the best prospect available.

The second part to this is that they have a plan in place to add a PG later in the first round. Atlanta would like to grab Jarrett Jack in the late first round area. A trade involving the Supersonics pick at 25 has been discussed. The Hawks would give up their 31st pick, the first in the second round, plus big guard Boris Diaw, who's skills are being wasted on a team that lacks scorers. The Hawks feel they could get Jack at 25, as teams in the mid first round have not showed him much interest.

The trade makes sense for both teams, as Seattle would add a passing guard who would fit in very well with Luke Ridnour and Ray Allen.

Channing Frye to Golden State

A couple weeks back, NBADraft.net received a tip that Channing Frye had a promise in the top 10. The likely team has recently been identified as Golden State. And while Frye would be a bit of a reach at 9, he's a bigman with touch and the size to play center.

There are obviously players with more upside that will be available at 9, but Golden State wants to continue on their upward swing as soon as possible (ie playoffs). Frye should be able to contribute as much right away as any big man in the draft not named Andrew Bogut. And with just Adonal Foyle in the middle, the Warriors are desperate for a center.

Bobcats-Trailblazers Swapping Picks

The Bobcats lost big in the lottery moving from 3 to 5. The coin flip which put them behind New Orleans ended up meaning a lot more than who drafted higher in the second round.

Charlotte despises their current 5th position as they feel there are really only 4 quality players in the draft: Bogut, Marvin Williams, Chris Paul and Deron Williams. And since those four are likely to be gone when they select 5th, they want to move up. Portland, continuing with their youth movement is high on Gerald green, and may end up moving down two spots and acquiring a future first from Charlotte.

Charlotte really likes Texas A&M shooting guard Antoine Wright, so there's a good chance they will take him with their second selection in the lottery (#13).

Martynas Out

With the Bucks winning the top pick in the draft. It means that Martynas Andriuskevicius will likely opt out of the draft. Milwaukee was high on him and wanted to take a center, but figured Bogut would be long gone by the time they picked. But then they won the lottery. Martynas is not figured to go in the top 7 or so picks, and feels that he has the talent to go there next year. With another year or two away from really being ready to compete on the NBA level, another year in Europe seems most likely before Martynas enters the draft for good.

gknick11

Benchwarmer
Check out realgm.com There's a mock draft on there that says we're taking Petro... for now. Dude goes into detail about team needs and why who needs what. Pretty good stuff. A whole lot better than Chad Ford's "Insider." Definitely worth lookin' at. Get back and let me know what you guys think of it. I think it was written a few days ago, so it doesn't have Frye's "guarentee" of being drafted by GS at the 9 spot.

gknick11

Benchwarmer
Well, I guess we're drafting Julius Hodge in the 2nd round:

DraftCity: Even though he is not with you right now in Cleveland, I know that you went down to North Carolina for a month and trained Julius Hodge. Can you tell me a little about him?

Eric Lichter: Julius Hodge is the hardest worker I have ever had the pleasure of working with. This kid…his approach is that he’ll outwork anyone. I spent a good 5 or 6 days writing a program for Julius at NC State. I set the bar for Julius very high. I was told by his agent and by Julius’ group that he wanted to condition and prepare for individual workouts like he never has in his life. When I built Julius’ exercise and conditioning program, I questioned if he would be able to maintain that type of regimen. From the on court work to the weight room to the conditioning, Julius finished it and he finished it well. Julius was incredible. The theme through Julius’ workouts has been that the guy is in incredible shape and is just the hardest worker they’ve seen. The Knicks…Isaiah loved him. Loved his effort, that’s what I can comment on. I know that for a fact. Loved his effort, intensity. Loved his motor, its just nonstop. Julius’ heart…its as big as this gym we are standing in. His effort and his intensity through his workouts is that large too. He was just a pleasure to work with. Julius…very good leaper, very quick. Long arms, good footwork, good elevation on his jumpshot. Physically, Julius is above average in everything. I would say that he has the total package. That kid as well, it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

portega1968

El Cacique
chris taft has fallen fast as word of him being outworked by ike diogu spread faster than ebola...channing frye, an SFX client, seems more hype than substance, fran vazquez would be a much better backup...tiago not ready for nba though he has some D...martynas looks like former first pick shawn bradley on crack and suffering from anorexia, please don't pick him...gerald green available at the 8th? jajajaja, I definitely want to smoke some of that too...if none of the projected top 5 fall to 8th, I say move down and grab martell webster, danny granger or antoine wright, much better players than what everyone is projecting 7-10...

portega1968

El Cacique
for the 31st pick, I'm hoping we can choose between simien, gomes or hodge because they have shown heart and game...blatche, bynum and petro? please see john amaechi under other inefficient big men in nba history...what we can't get in the draft we'll just have to trade for or find elsewhere

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
if u look at bad draft picks throughout draft history, its always when a team picks a big man just because hes a "big man" and passes up on a smaller player. fred weiss, for example.

i really wouldnt care if the knicks didnt pick a SINGLE big man with their 3 picks this year, because i dont think any of them will really be a star in the league. maybe bogut will be a servicable player, but he probably wont slip to 8th anyway. lets get guys who have loads of potential, like gerald green, if we can. i dont care if they contribute right away, because its not like this team is going anywhere next season anyway. we are at least 3-4 yrs from being a championship caliber team (and with isiah as gm maybe longer than that).

hopefully if we pick 3 superstar-potential type players, at least 1 will fullfill his potential and we can reap the rewards in 2-3 yrs.

please isiah, dont pick a big man just for the sake of picking a big man.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
portland loves to take gambles with its draft picks on unproven talents. telfair, travis outlaw, and now supposedly they want green. their gm nash seems like a smart guy.

i wonder if they would trade:

telfair/outlaw/green/ratliff for marbury/t thomas/mo taylor or jyd

id do it.

lets start the youth movement and get completely redo this roster

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Actually, its quite the opposite - Nash is not that high on Green and is shopping the 3rd to trade down. I proposed this on another board, so I'll repeat it here:

Miles, Ratliff, Green (3rd)

FOR

Penny, Sweets, Webster (8th), Fut. Draft Considerations

At this point, it's pretty obvious Nash isnt thrilled /w/ having to choose b/w Green and a slew of PG's...none of which they need. They COULD take Paul, and then trade him or Telfair, but I seriously doubt they'd do a 360 on Telfair and do that. So it's pretty safe to say they'll either take Green, or trade down. Now - it's also pretty obvious that Shareef will resign elsewhere, probably for a little above the MLE (6-7 Mill). Sweets could come in and replace his mins. at the 4. Also, theyre looking to get rid of atleast 1 of their SF's. They have the same problem at the 3 that we do at the 4. So it's safe to say getting Miles would be easy-peezy Japanesey. Isiah is looking to draft an athletic, versatile wingman. That's Green in a nutshell. Give him a few years and he'll be a very good player. Meanwhile, we could either keep Kurt as our starting Center...OR trade him for another draft pick + filler.....OR simply straight up for a starting caliber Center.

TENTATIVE ROSTER:

________, Ratliff, Draft Pick (____ = maybe Kurt)
Taylor, Rose, JYD
Timmy, Ariza, Green
Miles, Crawford
Marbury, maybe Draft Pick

We would have one of the best benches in the league, and some of the most versatile players too. Green and Ariza would have time to develop, and Miles can play D and run like hell. Unless Zeke wanted to deal Kurt, we really wouldnt have to do anything else after this. As far as I see it...

More incentive for this deal to go through:
http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=30226

Excerpt

"Nash says there remains a “strong chance” Portland will trade the third pick. The Blazers need a shooting guard, and the top ones in the draft aren’t expected to go among the first seven or eight selections. If they decide to target one player as the guy they want — the 6-6 Webster, for instance — they could trade down to No. 7 or No. 8 or beyond, and still get the player they want, plus additional considerations."

The point of making this happen is not just to get a serviceable backup 5 in Ratliff. It's to get the guy that Zeke wants, assuming Green is his man. Miles has played both the 2 and 3 for Portland this year, something I found out only a few weeks ago. I didnt even know that. But he's quick enuff and versatile enuff to spot at the 2. Zeke loves athletic, versatile wings like Miles, and apparently was looking to trade for him this season. I def. like the fact that this guy can average 2 blocks and 2 steals a game easy...he'd boost our perimeter D for sure. We end up making use of Penny's contract, and get rid of one of our PF's in Sweets..... It works under the cap rules and I think doing this would solidify the team for awhile. We'd be a running, athletic, deep team /w/ some veterans and some up-n-comers.

I'm not expecting Miles to play a whole lotta mins. at SG. He'd only START. Crawford would play alotta mins. at the 2 as our 6th man...like he was intended to. And Green and Ariza can play both the 2 and 3 as well. We'd be a very versatile team...very deep...very athletic.

Think of it this way.... Miles is Tayshaun Prince with a NY attitude but with less of an outside shot. I've seen Prince play SG plenty of times, and both of them are similar defensively, which is why we would get Miles in the first place - long arms, athletic, solid Defense

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
that sounds good. i like that trade.

u think we coudl get telfair in there as well? id be willing to give up crawford for him.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
If NY could deal the 8th for Portlands 3rd and we could get Miles as well... I would have to pich myself to see if I was dreaming! That would mean that Isiah did something right! I think I would give portland anyone they wanted except Ariza... I would see if I could use him in a future deal or better yet, try to keep him. I like Ratliff off the bench, I think his D would be a welcomed addition! If the Knicks did get Miles, I think they should explore Al Harrington from Atlanta as well. Also, since we moved to the 3rd that would throw off my pick Antoine Wright, the guy I feel the knicks should go after. So I would try to shop the 3rd.... See if Charlotte, Utah or Toronto would be interested in a deal. Maybe we can deal the pick for salary relief to Charlotte and draft Antoine Wright with the 5th. I don't have any faith in the big men in this draft.

portega1968

El Cacique
like I said elsewhere...lets trade for that 3rd pick because I believe Williams is going first and Paul second...plus, a trade for Pierce and cap space next summer for LeBron and we would be set with Stephon, Pierce, LBJ and Bogut plus leftovers....

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
portega1968 said:
like I said elsewhere...lets trade for that 3rd pick because I believe Williams is going first and Paul second...plus, a trade for Pierce and cap space next summer for LeBron and we would be set with Stephon, Pierce, LBJ and Bogut plus leftovers....

Are you on crack??

Btw, since most of you liked that idea...heres another - based on reports coming from Utah and Pheonix:

TO UTAH: Timmy, Sweetney, Fut. Draft Pick

TO PHEONIX: Boozer, Ariza

TO NEW YORK: Marion

Why? --> B/c it's been said recently that Pheonix is looking to shop Marion b/c they need some extra cap room to sign Amare to an extention and JJ to a big contract. Apparently, Colangelo likes the prospect of getting a legit PF like Boozer, which would make their front court the best in the NBA. Ariza improves their bench, plus they save 12 Mill in 4 years.

Larry Miller is said to try and shop Boozer for expiring contracts. Obviously, the Boozer experiment didnt seem to pan out. Plus, Deron Williams will most likely not be there at 6, so they might very well take Vasquez to replace him at PF. Then use their expiring contracts and some smaller pieces to complete their backcourt...

NY needs a star player that can work w/o the ball. Marion is one of the best in the league at that... This would release the glut of PF's we have, and would also reduce the roster to about 10-11 guys. Personally, I'd use the 30th Pick to draft Turiaf, and the 54th for Daniel Ewing, who can spot at both the 1 and 2...

Frye, Kurt *, Turiaf
Rose, Taylor
Marion, JYD
Crawford, Houston
Marbury, Ewing
IR: Penny

*Kurt would most likely be dealt to a playoff team needing veteran experience near the deadline...

portega1968

El Cacique
PS: Our hole at center should be filled by Kwame or Ilgauskas ...Please Isiah, stay away from Frye...Kurt and Kwame at the 5, Mo, Rose and Marko (hes 6'11" and recently sank 20 straight 3s in a workout) at the 4, Marion and Hodge at the 3, Webster or Wright plus Marbury, Crawford and Houston at guard...hows that for srinking wet dreams?