Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Thread

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

chris taft has fallen fast as word of him being outworked by ike diogu spread faster than ebola...channing frye, an SFX client, seems more hype than substance, fran vazquez would be a much better backup...tiago not ready for nba though he has some D...martynas looks like former first pick shawn bradley on crack and suffering from anorexia, please don't pick him...gerald green available at the 8th? jajajaja, I definitely want to smoke some of that too...if none of the projected top 5 fall to 8th, I say move down and grab martell webster, danny granger or antoine wright, much better players than what everyone is projecting 7-10...

for the 31st pick, I'm hoping we can choose between simien, gomes or hodge because they have shown heart and game...blatche, bynum and petro? please see john amaechi under other inefficient big men in nba history...what we can't get in the draft we'll just have to trade for or find elsewhere

if u look at bad draft picks throughout draft history, its always when a team picks a big man just because hes a "big man" and passes up on a smaller player. fred weiss, for example.

i really wouldnt care if the knicks didnt pick a SINGLE big man with their 3 picks this year, because i dont think any of them will really be a star in the league. maybe bogut will be a servicable player, but he probably wont slip to 8th anyway. lets get guys who have loads of potential, like gerald green, if we can. i dont care if they contribute right away, because its not like this team is going anywhere next season anyway. we are at least 3-4 yrs from being a championship caliber team (and with isiah as gm maybe longer than that).

hopefully if we pick 3 superstar-potential type players, at least 1 will fullfill his potential and we can reap the rewards in 2-3 yrs.

please isiah, dont pick a big man just for the sake of picking a big man.

portland loves to take gambles with its draft picks on unproven talents. telfair, travis outlaw, and now supposedly they want green. their gm nash seems like a smart guy.

i wonder if they would trade:

telfair/outlaw/green/ratliff for marbury/t thomas/mo taylor or jyd

id do it.

lets start the youth movement and get completely redo this roster

Actually, its quite the opposite - Nash is not that high on Green and is shopping the 3rd to trade down. I proposed this on another board, so I'll repeat it here:

Miles, Ratliff, Green (3rd)

FOR

Penny, Sweets, Webster (8th), Fut. Draft Considerations

At this point, it's pretty obvious Nash isnt thrilled /w/ having to choose b/w Green and a slew of PG's...none of which they need. They COULD take Paul, and then trade him or Telfair, but I seriously doubt they'd do a 360 on Telfair and do that. So it's pretty safe to say they'll either take Green, or trade down. Now - it's also pretty obvious that Shareef will resign elsewhere, probably for a little above the MLE (6-7 Mill). Sweets could come in and replace his mins. at the 4. Also, theyre looking to get rid of atleast 1 of their SF's. They have the same problem at the 3 that we do at the 4. So it's safe to say getting Miles would be easy-peezy Japanesey. Isiah is looking to draft an athletic, versatile wingman. That's Green in a nutshell. Give him a few years and he'll be a very good player. Meanwhile, we could either keep Kurt as our starting Center...OR trade him for another draft pick + filler.....OR simply straight up for a starting caliber Center.

TENTATIVE ROSTER:

________, Ratliff, Draft Pick (____ = maybe Kurt)
    Taylor, Rose, JYD
    Timmy, Ariza, Green
    Miles, Crawford
    Marbury, maybe Draft Pick

We would have one of the best benches in the league, and some of the most versatile players too. Green and Ariza would have time to develop, and Miles can play D and run like hell. Unless Zeke wanted to deal Kurt, we really wouldnt have to do anything else after this. As far as I see it...

More incentive for this deal to go through:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Excerpt

"Nash says there remains a “strong chance” Portland will trade the third pick. The Blazers need a shooting guard, and the top ones in the draft aren’t expected to go among the first seven or eight selections. If they decide to target one player as the guy they want — the 6-6 Webster, for instance — they could trade down to No. 7 or No. 8 or beyond, and still get the player they want, plus additional considerations."

The point of making this happen is not just to get a serviceable backup 5 in Ratliff. It's to get the guy that Zeke wants, assuming Green is his man. Miles has played both the 2 and 3 for Portland this year, something I found out only a few weeks ago. I didnt even know that. But he's quick enuff and versatile enuff to spot at the 2. Zeke loves athletic, versatile wings like Miles, and apparently was looking to trade for him this season. I def. like the fact that this guy can average 2 blocks and 2 steals a game easy...he'd boost our perimeter D for sure. We end up making use of Penny's contract, and get rid of one of our PF's in Sweets..... It works under the cap rules and I think doing this would solidify the team for awhile. We'd be a running, athletic, deep team /w/ some veterans and some up-n-comers.

I'm not expecting Miles to play a whole lotta mins. at SG. He'd only START. Crawford would play alotta mins. at the 2 as our 6th man...like he was intended to. And Green and Ariza can play both the 2 and 3 as well. We'd be a very versatile team...very deep...very athletic.

Think of it this way.... Miles is Tayshaun Prince with a NY attitude but with less of an outside shot. I've seen Prince play SG plenty of times, and both of them are similar defensively, which is why we would get Miles in the first place - long arms, athletic, solid Defense

that sounds good. i like that trade.

u think we coudl get telfair in there as well? id be willing to give up crawford for him.

If NY could deal the 8th for Portlands 3rd and we could get Miles as well... I would have to pich myself to see if I was dreaming! That would mean that Isiah did something right! I think I would give portland anyone they wanted except Ariza... I would see if I could use him in a future deal or better yet, try to keep him. I like Ratliff off the bench, I think his D would be a welcomed addition! If the Knicks did get Miles, I think they should explore Al Harrington from Atlanta as well. Also, since we moved to the 3rd that would throw off my pick Antoine Wright, the guy I feel the knicks should go after. So I would try to shop the 3rd.... See if Charlotte, Utah or Toronto would be interested in a deal. Maybe we can deal the pick for salary relief to Charlotte and draft Antoine Wright with the 5th. I don't have any faith in the big men in this draft.

like I said elsewhere...lets trade for that 3rd pick because I believe Williams is going first and Paul second...plus, a trade for Pierce and cap space next summer for LeBron and we would be set with Stephon, Pierce, LBJ and Bogut plus leftovers....

Originally Posted by portega1968
    like I said elsewhere...lets trade for that 3rd pick because I believe Williams is going first and Paul second...plus, a trade for Pierce and cap space next summer for LeBron and we would be set with Stephon, Pierce, LBJ and Bogut plus leftovers....

Are you on crack??

Btw, since most of you liked that idea...heres another - based on reports coming from Utah and Pheonix:

TO UTAH: Timmy, Sweetney, Fut. Draft Pick

TO PHEONIX: Boozer, Ariza

TO NEW YORK: Marion

Why? --> B/c it's been said recently that Pheonix is looking to shop Marion b/c they need some extra cap room to sign Amare to an extention and JJ to a big contract. Apparently, Colangelo likes the prospect of getting a legit PF like Boozer, which would make their front court the best in the NBA. Ariza improves their bench, plus they save 12 Mill in 4 years.

Larry Miller is said to try and shop Boozer for expiring contracts. Obviously, the Boozer experiment didnt seem to pan out. Plus, Deron Williams will most likely not be there at 6, so they might very well take Vasquez to replace him at PF. Then use their expiring contracts and some smaller pieces to complete their backcourt...

NY needs a star player that can work w/o the ball. Marion is one of the best in the league at that... This would release the glut of PF's we have, and would also reduce the roster to about 10-11 guys. Personally, I'd use the 30th Pick to draft Turiaf, and the 54th for Daniel Ewing, who can spot at both the 1 and 2...

Frye, Kurt *, Turiaf
    Rose, Taylor
    Marion, JYD
    Crawford, Houston
    Marbury, Ewing
    IR: Penny

*Kurt would most likely be dealt to a playoff team needing veteran experience near the deadline...

PS: Our hole at center should be filled by Kwame or Ilgauskas ...Please Isiah, stay away from Frye...Kurt and Kwame at the 5, Mo, Rose and Marko (hes 6'11" and recently sank 20 straight 3s in a workout) at the 4, Marion and Hodge at the 3, Webster or Wright plus Marbury, Crawford and Houston at guard...hows that for srinking wet dreams?

There is nothing wrong with frye , he takes it to the hoop he blocks shots and can shoot the mid range jumper check out this video

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Default DRAFT BPA, GET CENTER, SAVE $$$....Playoffs, Here We Come!

Here's 2 different ways I think we can accomplish those 3 goals. Personally, I'd go for the 2nd scenario, but either is a major improvement:

TRADE

Resigned Eddy Curry

FOR

Kurt Thomas, Mike Sweetney, 54th Pick

Why?

B/c Paxson is said to be willing to part /w/ Curry b/c there's no certainty how Curry will bounce back from his hiatus due to the supposed heart condition. His absence hurt their interior presence in the playoffs. While Curry has size, he doesnt play good D. Kurt is the type of low post defender that would enable Chandler to come from the weakside and REALLY inflict some damage. Plus Sweetney sures up their Frontcourt bench, and /w/ the 54th Pick, they get in this year's draft. For us, we get the legit Center that Zeke promised us, and give our glut of PF's a diet. And let's not forget - Curry and Crawford are best of friends, and this might make the transition much easier.

All in all, it'd be hard to find a better deal to convince Chicago to part ways with Curry...

DRAFT

8: Antoine Wright --
    Can play 2-3 positions, and is reminiscent of a poor man's Paul Pierce. He can hit the trey or slash to the basket, and has good enough handle to play minutes at the point. Best of all, he plays good man-to-man D and plays the passing lanes as well...

30: Turiaf -- Very reminiscent of Etan Thomas. Instead of trading for Boozer, just draft Ronny. He's taller (close to 6-10) and is very aggressive on D.

FREE AGENCY

Resign
    Jermaine Jackson & Jackie Butler to LLE (for insurance purposes)

ROSTER

Curry, Turiaf, Butler
    Rose, Taylor
    Timmy, Ariza, JYD
    Crawford, Wright
    Marbury, J. Jackson

IR: Penny, Houston

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR...............

TRADE

Boozer

FOR

Penny, Sweetney

Why?

B/c apparently Utah is done /w/ their Boozing experiment. They wanna shed some fat off their cap simulataneously if they can. Well, Penny takes more than 15 Mill. at once, saving them about 5 Mill this year, and Millions the next 5 years by not having to pay Boozer's longterm contract. We get ourselves a legit starting PF, and it doesn't hurt the roster b/c we get rid of Sweets in the process, who Zeke isn't too fond of. And apparently, rumors of a similar deal came out of the Q & A that Isiah held recently for season ticket holders...

DRAFT

8: Frye --
    Is a legit Center, is NBA ready, and can get some blocks, boards, and has a nice mid-range jumper. Has added some bulk, and improved his hops and lateral quickness recently. Not necessarily the BPA, but in getting Boozer, we don't have the means to trade for a better big man.

30: Julius Hodge-- His shooting is a little suspect, but he was a leader on his ball club this season. Hodge is a great prospect b/c he's versatile and a solid defender, and can play the point as well as the 2 and 3. Plus he bleeds NYC...

54: S. Graham -- Just as talented as his brother, Joey. Is more versatile in fact, and can play 3-4 positions. Could be a huge steal at 54.

FREE AGENCY

Resign
    Jackie Butler to Less than LLE (for insurance purposes)

ROSTER

Frye, Kurt
    Boozer, Rose, Taylor
    Timmy, Ariza, JYD
    Crawford, S. Graham
    Marbury, Hodge

IR: Houston

though I love Boozer's game, and Graham/Hodge will be effective pros, I just don't like Frye, plus that scenario adds some serious cap tax...I prefer your first scenario cause Wright has game (and it seems Webster also), it cleans up the jam at the 4 and leaves timmys and pennys contracts for the feb deadline, however, I'm thinking Curry does have a serious health problem and I believe that should be totally cleared up, so I'm still thinking Kwame or Z...Ewing plays nicely, but this draft is just so deep that I believe there will be many other solid players to choose from

As far as Frye is concerned, he's been quoted as saying "Take me a few months ago, and add 100 % to that... that's where I'm at now". Whether you wanna believe it or not is up to you, but I think he's a very serious candidate at 8...it's hard to pass up a talented NBA-ready Center nowadays.

I think Wright offers more than Frye, he reminds me of a poor man's Paul Pierce. And the fact that he plays D is really nice, b/c our perimeter D sucked. Not only that, but he's a shooter...

You also have to seriously consider Granger and Graham...

Like I said, making that Curry deal would clear our glut of PF's quicker, but that doesn't necessarily mean our team would be better. We wouldn't really have a legit starting PF, and I doubt Curry is THAT much better than Frye. Offensively, yes, but certainly not defensively, where we need the most help. But I guess you could say, size is size and we should be happy either way.

I'd take either scenario, but you never know how it'll pan out. Team chemistry is something you can never really predict. But looking at it on paper, I'd have to take Boozer over Curry, simply b/c our team overall is even more improved IMO...

well, we'll have to wait till july14 to see how free agency plays out, I'm just hoping Isiah will look for a starting center then and not with the 8th...time will tell if I'm wrong about Frye being another 7foot bust and that Fran Vazquez will prove to be a more versatile player...assuming Green is gone, I insist in choosing Webster (young Glen Rice) or Wright (Ray Allenesque)...if we are lucky and both are miracously on the board, I'd choose Webster hoping that his Seattle roots will mesh nicely with Jamal even if Wright has college exp...I also insist Milwaukee will go with Williams and Atlanta with Paul, so that Portland pick would give us, in my opinion the only NBA-ready starting center...and with the 30th pick I'd take Marko Lekic or Ryan Gomes