Knicks Exercise Sweetney's Option

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
ESPN

NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks are counting on Michael Sweetney to replace the departed Kurt Thomas at power forward.

On Thursday, the Knicks picked up the $2.15 million option on Sweetney's contract for the 2006-07 season.

As the ninth overall pick in the 2003 draft, Sweetney signed a three-year deal worth at least $4.92 million with a fourth-year option under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

The Knicks had until October 31 to exercise that fourth-year option. Sweetney will become a restricted free agent following the 2006-07 season with the Knicks holding right of first refusal.

The 6-8 Sweetney started 28 of 77 games last season and averaged 8.4 points on 53 percent shooting and 5.4 rebounds in 19.6 minutes.

portega1968

El Cacique
Don't be deceived...I sense Sweets is trade bait for obtaining Curry, Kwame or Z...its the only logical explanation for drafting Lee

well its a win win situation cause we are developing sweetney hes about the age of kwame and he is a bust idk bout currys heart and z is too **** old isiah said young and athletic he is keeping sweets satartting pf thats he traded thomas q-rich is the icing on the cake and robinson is the sprinkles but sweets starting will take the cake :D

hoop115

Benchwarmer
I'm not ready to put my complete confidence in Sweets just yet. He has potential to be good but I don't think he'll ever be a star b/c he does not have enough athletic ability for someone his height to win most of the battles at his position. I would love to see him used to bring in someone like Curry allowing us to move Frye to the 4 spot. They complement each other really well. Curry is developing into one of the better low post offensive players in the league, but everyone knows that Curry cannot rebound and lack's consistent D. Frye can be used on help D and rebounding. It will also take some pressure off of Frye if he did not have come in right away and be our answer in the middle. When they were talking about Frye after he was drafted they were saying that he is more suited as a PF b/c he can step out and hit a mid-range jumper and is athletic enough to take it to the hole and finish. He would be a great to run the pick & roll or the pick & pop with Starbury.

Ferry is apparently making Z one the Cav's top priorities this summer so I doubt we can get him. Brown or James is a plan-B, but other than being big and having a couple of good games a year, both have done nothing significant in their careers to make them highly sought after free agents . I'm a little skeptical about guys like Brown or James who don't contribute to their team all season long and then just complain about their roles with the team afterwards.

JaDaMeL05

Benchwarmer
I dont know why they excercised Sweetneys contract because theres an 85% chance he's getting traded If Isiah finds the right deal. Zeke said he's looking for a "run and gun" team, and somehow I dont see Sweetney fitting that description.

portega1968

El Cacique
The fact Isiah exercised Sweets' option doesn't mean he won't trade him...in fact, exercising the option makes Sweets easier to trade because now he has two years left at a rookie salary