What We Need VS. What's Available

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
What We Really Need?

An experienced Big Man that has atleast 4-5 seasons under his belt. Someone that is defensively oriented, and can be aggressive on both ends, while being able to run effectively...

Ideal Options:

Jamaal Magloire
Marcus Camby

----------------------------------------------

What's Really Available?

Players with less experience (less than 5 seasons), that are more athletic but with a less polished and Playoff-ready game...

Realistic Options:

Kwame Brown
Nene
Dan Gadzuric
Lorenzen Wright
Stromile Swift
Jerome James

Easiest to come by will probably be Kwame and JJ. But the problem is that none of those options really provide us with a polished, veteran, playoff-ready Center that can hold down our interior defense in any given situation. Kwame has the most upside, but he also comes with the most risk. I like Gadzuric alot, but here's the other problem - whoever we choose, it would behoove Isiah to get rid of Sweetney and maybe another PF (JYD or Taylor) in the process. Remember, it's not completely out of the question to sign, say, Jerome James with the MLE, and then trading for Kwame. I didn't include Eddy Curry and Big Z b/c they're not defensive stoppers or accomplished rebounders, which is what we desperatelyl need. Dalembert won't be available, so that's just a pipe dream...

---------------------------------------------------

What It Comes Down To?

Sweetney, Jerome Williams

FOR

Resigned __________

AND MAYBE

Sign J. James to Full MLE

Remember, I'm not saying it'll be possible to kill 2 birds /w/ 1 stone, but knowing that we won't be able to pick up the next Ewing anytime soon, it might behoove Isiah to keep all his options open. I like Gadzuric alot, simply b/c what you see is what get. I like James' assertiveness in the playoffs, but he's another big risk. Nene's a solid big man, but something about picking up a guy we personally drafted and then packaged minutes later really bothers me (plus his contract will be hard to trade for b/c it's so low--and Denver plans on signing Cat anyway --no need for Crawford). Lorenzen Wright won't be as readily available b/c Memphis will make any team take on J-Dub along with him and maybe even Bonzi in a massive trade. And finally, Stromile Swift will also be a serious option, but he's looking for something closer to 7-10 Million a year, and any trade /w/ Memphis would involve extra players, which, at this point, we just can't take (I doubt he accepts the MLE just to go to NY). So I think it comes down to any combination (or simply 1 addition of) the following:

Jerome James
Dan Gadzuric
Kwame Brown

NYK Way

Benchwarmer
Swift would be a nice fit, because he can run the floor well, and plus we need a good shot blocker. We were dead last year in BPG and with Thomas gone thats not gonna help. Thomas was our best shot blocker last year.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
i agree to sweets and jyd for a resigned say jerome james but admit it every knick fan including me would hate to see jyd go

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
yea, i would hate to see Sweetney and JYD go, but i could probably live with only losing one of them. if we have to lose both of them to get say Camby i wouldnt mind, but we cant lose both of them for a scrubby center.

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
Jerome James scares me to death...all he really did was have one big series...
Swift seems to bring a lot of baggage...as does Kwame...but we all see what Rip did once he left Washington

If we get Larry Brown then I think he could manage Kwame and that should be our #1 priority.

Though I hate it...I think Sweets is a goner

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Personally, I'd feel MUCH safer getting Magloire or Camby, but let's face reality - it's not in the cards.

I think Stro Swift, Kwame, James, Gadzuric, etc. are our only realistic options. When you look at the type of player Frye is (a finesse Big man), I think you have to puruse a more rugged, banging, Center. Remember, Frye is a PF/C, and Isiah might just have him start at the 4 instead of the 5.

I'm still confident that, at the very least, Sweetney is the odd man out, if not JYD as well...

Note: I think Kwame would be a better option than Swift simply b/c he provides better interior defense, while Swift will give you better weak-side help more often than not. Kwame will get you 15 and 9 if he gets enough minutes, plus he can spot at both the 4 and 5. The thing I don't like about him though, is that, after 4 seasons, he still has an attitude issue off the court. We need Championship caliber players that are unselfish and willing to dive after loose balls, etc. I haven't seen much of Kwame, but it's said that he'll lose interest in the game unless he's involved early, in which case he stays solid the rest of the game. He's shut down the best in the league on several occasions, but being one of the last options on offense on the Knicks wouldnt help either. Good thing is that I also think Timmy is a goner b/c he's stealing minutes from Ariza, so I think Kwame's touches will go up with Ariza getting strong minutes at SF...

I can't wait to see what direction Isiah decides to go in the end.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
It's funny to me how I am starting to read more people mentioning Camby. I sat at many a game at the Garden when he was a Knick and watched him get over powered by almost every big man that he went up against. While he did provide some excitement, the recipient of some flashy allyoops but all in all he is an undersized big man. He is built like R Miller with an added few inches! He flourishes in Denver because of the system, the run and gun play that they have. Also, besides Shaq or B Wallace and I'll even through Duncan in (he's not a center but a dominate big man), what proven playoff big man are there? This isn't the 70's, 80's or early 90's where there were numerous Centers. This is the error of the NON center. What the Knicks need to focus on is Team. They need to come up with and implement a system that can be effective. Maybe that starts with a new coach?? Yes, they need rebounding and some one who can block 1 or 2 shots a game. But this team needs a serious overhaul and it can't happen, won't happen, this off season. This franchise needs to implement a multiyear plan. Kwame could be a start. He is young, athletic and has had some stretches where he has put up some good numbers. The downside is the risk... Does he have the heart to be an NBA player anymore? That is the risk and if we can get him using a sign and trade for KT type money, I think it is worth the risk. Next would be to trade Marbury... If we can get back some players for him, than I think Isiah should pull the trigger. Swift is a risk as well... He can be a force on D but he is another one that disappears in a game. It's a mystery to me, he is talented but he has issues. The Knicks drafts are a good start, I like the players they got and I feel Frye is going to be an impact player. He is a 4 in my mind but he can be aggressive on D and I don't feel he is soft. I think he will open some eyes. David Lee will be a good guy off the bench, he has size and he can bang. I don't think he will be more than that but a strong bench is equally as important. I would support Isiah if he gets Walker, especially if Marbury is used in the deal. Walker has good court vision and could run an offense. He is a “point forward” and that would be fine by me, I would run the offense through him and let Crawford and QR sit on the 3 point line for the kick out.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
theatre:

It's highly unlikely that Isiah will even shop Marbury this summer. The interest for a scoring PG isn't that high anyway, and any offers we get will only involve cap space. But my feeling is that Zeke is truly intent on building a Championship caliber team NOW as opposed to rebuilding like he so candidly said. I think that's just a cover, b/c he's trying to downplay any expectations he has for this upcoming season. That way, if we end up underachieving again, he won't be blamed nearly as much.

IMHO, you gotta keep the core unit we have already (JCraw, Marbury, Ariza, Frye, Nate, Lee), and build on it. Adding a legit big man is a big start, and getting rid of Taylor or JYD is something that should be followed up.

But you're right, Detroit's front line works together seamlessly. And theyre experienced. Not sure if Kwame's the way to go simply b/c we don't know how he'll work /w/ Frye, and if he's mature enough even now.

I think Isiah's got something big in mind, b/c we can't possibly win /w/ the lineup as it is now. I seriously don't think you can have a starting front line where both guys are 22 y/o apiece. That's rookie age...

I wish there was some way to get Magloire, maybe Timmy, Sweetney, and Fut. 1st for PJ and Magloire, but even then, we still have a glut at PF. No matter which direction Zeke chooses, it's gonna be tricky. How does he sort out the roster problems while adding the right player(s)?

NYK Way

Benchwarmer
I dont know why a lot of people want Kwame Brown to be a knicks. He only averaged 7 ppg and 5 rbg. He got suspened in the playoffs for not going to practice and not going to game 4. Why would you want a player that didnt even go to a play off game...

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
All of the FA big men this summer have question marks. Myself, I have no clue which direction to go in, b/c /w/ Frye likely starting, we should go after a more experienced big man like Magloire, etc., not a youngin in Kwame. Personally, I like the idea of getting Gadzuric b/c atleast he works hard and provides defense, as well as being able to play both the 4 and 5.

I wouldnt even mind if we had to take on Joe Smith's contract in the process (as long as we could dump Sweetney and maybe even JYD on Milwaukee)...

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
I would seriously hate isiah thomas if he got rid of jerome williams.

over the last year jerome williams became my favorite player on the knicks. i will be seriously pissed off if he leaves.....

get rid of mo taylor or sweetney...or maybe malik rose

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
KnicksFan20 said:
I would seriously hate isiah thomas if he got rid of jerome williams.

over the last year jerome williams became my favorite player on the knicks. i will be seriously pissed off if he leaves.....

get rid of mo taylor or sweetney...or maybe malik rose

JYD is a fan favorite, but he's expendable when you consider that we have Rose (a playoff-veteran, leader), Lee, Taylor, and Sweetney, plus whoever Isiah picks up this summer. Taylor and JYD have 2 years left (JYD team opt. 3rd year), but Taylor's contract is 2+ Million bigger, which makes him more difficult to deal, unless we're taking back big salary.

I think we almost have to send a package of JYD and Sweetney for our next Bigman, b/c we're left having to take back no less than 75 % of what we send out. If we send JYD, Sweetney, and maybe a pick, the Center we trade for can be signed to a Kurt Thomas type offer sheet.

At this point, I only see Gadzuric, Kwame, and Walker as serious options b/c of the fact that Memphis doesn't want to do a S & T with NY, and Swift won't sign for the MLE. Also, if we pick up Walker as our PF/SF, I think it's absolutely necessary to sign Jerome James to the full MLE, so as to secure some real size in the front court.

Also, I think we should have Timmy coming off the bench. I'd like to see Ariza get a starting spot this season, b/c he has the ability. He just needs some experience.

I know some of you don't like the idea of getting Walker, but he gets the crowd going. Think about it this way - whether it's Walker or Q posting up, there will always be 2-3 shooters spotting up for 3. My ideal 2006 Roster would look like this:

Frye, J. James(1), Rose
Walker(2), Taylor, Lee
Ariza, Timmy
Q, Crawford
Marbury, Nate

Note (1): Resigned James for 5 Mill. per
Note (2): Resigned Walkerv FOR Sweetney, JYD, Fut. 1st

ny3nyk

Rotation player
yea i think 'toine would fit in nicely with us. i have the same general idea but instead of trading jyd i would swap him for taylor. jyd is a fan favorite, pure hustle, can pass and gets other players going. i just dont see that in taylor. i would make jyd a bench small foward and resign jackie butler. that kid has potential and hopefully doesnt turn out to be another kwame. also, by resigning butler, malik would go back to the correct 4 or 3 that he plays. i agree with signing jerome james too because we need a veteran center that has experience. so i guess it could look like this:

frye, james, butler
walker, rose, lee
ariza, timmy, jyd
q, crawford
marbury, robinson

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Taylor is much harder to deal. He's making over 9 Mill. a year vs. JYD's MLE type salary. If we decide on dealing Taylor instead we'll almost def. have to take on extra salary. But w/e... Sweetney + JYD/Taylor. Whatever makes it work.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think what we are all forgetting is that JYD, Taylor and Rose all have untradable contracts! YJD is a nice player to have off the bench but even at m/l/e he is over paid and every team knows it... That's why Chicago made us take him in the sign and trade for Crawford. Face it, we are probably stuck with all 3 of those guys. Steph is one of the few players that has value and some teams want. Remember,we could of had Carter if we were willing to part with Marbury. I say use him to get that proven big name, like a walker, and then make additional moves from there. Then you can bring in someone like Brown and take a chance on him. If we give up sweetney for him, it is worth the risk. He is 6'8", has a potential weight problem so a 6'11" forward, that is very athletic has more upside than down. There was a stretch, last season, where Kwame averaged a double, double. I think Washington's problem was they tried to make him a center when he is clearly not. The only tradable contracts are Marbury, TT and maybe Crawfords. Jerome James seems like the only big guy that can obtained at the M/L/E, that doens't leave us much of a choice. At the very least, he is an experienced NBA center. Since the chance of getting a big man that can compete with the likes of Shaq and Duncan are next to impossible, why not grab JJ. Remember we are in the worst division in the NBA. So he will do OK against the likes of NJ, Boston and Toronto.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Home Theatre - not sure trading Marbury is a good idea. I'm still not sold on it. He's the identity of the team. He plays hard, and has shown he's willing to grow up and play more within the team concept.

I like Walker, and getting him might pan out. But I think if we trade Marbury, we should be looking for cap space, picks, and a prospect, not just swapping players.

Also, JYD's contract is tradeable b/c it's only MLE $$$ for only the next 2 years (3rd is team opt.). Trading him along /w/ Sweets would remove the glut at PF and bring us someone nice. I think a JYD, Sweetney, and 06 San An 1st for Walker is realistic, simply b/c Ainge knows that with Pierce also likely gone, theyre rebuilding and will take atleast a few years to do anything significant. Sweetney is still young (23) and will improve their young frontcourt. JYD is just a throw in and will be an expiring contract for them in 2006...I'd follow that up with signing Jerome James to the full MLE.

Again, this is just how I'd go about this summer, considering our options. But I wouldn't be surprised if Zeke did any number of things that we wouldnt see coming.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
hometheaterguy said:
I think what we are all forgetting is that JYD, Taylor and Rose all have untradable contracts! YJD is a nice player to have off the bench but even at m/l/e he is over paid and every team knows it... That's why Chicago made us take him in the sign and trade for Crawford. Face it, we are probably stuck with all 3 of those guys. Steph is one of the few players that has value and some teams want. Remember,we could of had Carter if we were willing to part with Marbury. I say use him to get that proven big name, like a walker, and then make additional moves from there. Then you can bring in someone like Brown and take a chance on him. If we give up sweetney for him, it is worth the risk. He is 6'8", has a potential weight problem so a 6'11" forward, that is very athletic has more upside than down. There was a stretch, last season, where Kwame averaged a double, double. I think Washington's problem was they tried to make him a center when he is clearly not. The only tradable contracts are Marbury, TT and maybe Crawfords. Jerome James seems like the only big guy that can obtained at the M/L/E, that doens't leave us much of a choice. At the very least, he is an experienced NBA center. Since the chance of getting a big man that can compete with the likes of Shaq and Duncan are next to impossible, why not grab JJ. Remember we are in the worst division in the NBA. So he will do OK against the likes of NJ, Boston and Toronto.

lol we coulda actually had carter if we were willing to part with 2 of these three (kt, jyd, sweets)

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
i really dont understand y n e of you would want walker?

He would bring the team down and hurt them

he ball hogs/old/expensive/and is a very poor FT shooter.