GO STRONG AFTER KG...

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
http://www.knicks4life.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6125

http://ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=10267

^ ---- I was browsing a few other Knick forums, and there seems to be alotta talk about KG being widely available this summer. Now usually I don't buy into any of that crap, but this is apparently coming from sources within more than one orginization, rather than from the media.

The other thing is that, as it looks now, it's gonna be very very difficult to ever advance in the playoffs with A.) the roster as it is now and B.) with our cap restricting the type of moves that would REALLY make an impact.

Since the Wolves' owner is apparently looking to cut salary in anticipation of buying the Vikings or something like that, KG will at the very least be shopped; unless of course they make a huge trade for a Paul Pierce or Lamar Odom type, which I don't really see happening b/c it conflicts with the owner's long-term goals.

Out of any teams out there, we could offer the best package, b/c we have some youth AND expiring contracts. The only player I'd keep as untouchable is Frye b/c we haven't even gaged his potential yet, and would still desperately need size even /w/ KG on board. This is still all speculation, but I think Isiah needs to swing for the fences this summer instead of playing it safe. If he were to play it safe and sign a Kwame Brown or Stro Swift to a longterm, MLE type contract, we'd have most of our players (atleast the ones that play) signed through 4 or more years and we still would lack the talent level that even the Nets have.

Anyway, here's what I think is the most realistic and fair deal with Minny:

Timmy, Penny, Sweetney, Ariza, 2 Future 1st's

FOR

KG, Wally, Hudson

Knicks could simply waive Hudson afterwards. Keeping Houston won't hurt b/c we'd only have to wait 2 years before his contract expires completely...

ROSTER

Frye, Rose
KG, Taylor, Lee
Wally, JYD
Q, Crawford
Marbury, Nate

IR: Houston

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
NYK Way said:
There are 6 other teams out there trying to get KG

Only we can offer instant, massive cap space. If theyre trading KG, theyre not looking to swap talent for talent, b/c KG is about the best you can get in hopes of winning. Not only that, but we have Ariza and Sweetney as young, inexpensive, potential AND a stockpile of future draft picks...

If the Wolves are looking to win, they'll just keep KG, b/c he has to honor his contract. But I think they'll be looking to rebuild, and if that is in fact the truth, then NY has the best chance of making something happen.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Apparently theyre still boys, so no bad blook b/w them. And can you imagine, besides having KG in NY, the massive media frenzy that would happen with Marbury and KG reuniting??

Absolutely nuts.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
bobs3304 said:
http://www.knicks4life.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6125

Anyway, here's what I think is the most realistic and fair deal with Minny:

Timmy, Penny, Sweetney, Ariza, 2 Future 1st's

FOR

KG, Wally, Hudson

Knicks could simply waive Hudson afterwards. Keeping Houston won't hurt b/c we'd only have to wait 2 years before his contract expires completely...

ROSTER

Frye, Rose
KG, Taylor, Lee
Wally, JYD
Q, Crawford
Marbury, Nate

IR: Houston

that deal happened already.......then i woke up

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
i like the idea of kg coming to play ball here but i really dont think hes worth wut u listed

ariza has a bright future..........and 2 future 1rst rounder are worth alot.....

i think aquireing kg would be a lil easier a would cost less then wut u had written (even tho that is not the trade im just saying)

we can prolly get kg for sweetney and 2 first rounders......but then the cap comes in to play......so it would be a very complicated deal the knicks would have to work out

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
If there is a chance to get KG....get him....the man is a monster and entering his PRIME...are you kidding me...if this was possible Trade whomever...because guess what...he would be our best player. Can you imagine
Steph
Craw
Q
Frye
KG

with a decent blend coming off of the bench...and we would still be a young team...if we can get KG we should do whatever needs to be done..end of story.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
id do it, but giving up 2 1st rounders, sweets, and ariza is a lot....if we can cut out part of that id do that in a minute...kg has at least 4 or 5 superstar years left in him and wally hopefully still has his shooting touch. as said we dont need hudson. this would be huge

Trin_Starr

Starter
It is next to impossible that this will happen, but any chance to get KG - the knicks need to be on top of it!

KG is 23pts 14 rebs 6asts a game with the highest NBA efficiency rating in the game today -
Penny's and TT's expiring contract is close to $30 mil - more than enough to take KG and szerbiak. Draft picks and young talent can be included to sweeten up the pot.

Thought Miami had the best inside outside combo with Shaq and wade??? - well think again cause ain't nothing better than KG and steph!

Ted

Benchwarmer
There is about a .0001% chance that the T-Wolves are that desperate to get cap space. Especially with the cap raised under the new CBA.

If he was available all this talk that Sweetney and Ariza and firsts being too much is foolish. If anything it's too little. Sweetney has some potential, but so far he's a decent starter on a bad team. His physical limitations will keep him from ever being someone you can build around. I love Ariza, but the kid was in and out of the rotation for the Knicks.
The T-Wolves aren't going to give up a perrenial shot at the title for two possible rotation players down the road. A new coach, McCants, a cap exception signing, and no Spree is going to make this a new team and a contender again.
If nothing else the pick of McCants itself assures me that the T-Wolves are set on contending right now. McCants doesn't have the potential of some of the guys picked behind him, but he's NBA ready and fills the void left by Spree.

If you want to talk about someone on the Wolves that the Knicks might actually have a shot at, why not free agent Eddie Griffin? His attitude is straightened out and he can defend inside and knock down the 3. Reminds me a little of Robert Horry.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
we discussed him (e griff) in previous threads and i said id love to pick him up. dunno, first off spree hasnt officially left. they dont have many pieces...wally is inconsistent, cassell is injured. i dont see them putting it all together next year. maybe they do wanna trade him....

i would like to get d-miles reunite him with q-rich they played like young run and gun team and isiah will set d miles str8 away from the grass

Ted

Benchwarmer
They have the best group of role players they've ever had around KG if they re-up Griffin and one of their points can stay healthy. A center wouldn't hurt either. Trenton is a lock-down guy on the perimeter and decent offensively, Griffin can defend and shoot it, McCants can score and if he can run the point (I doubt it) he could be really good, Wally sucks but he can shoot as can Hoiberg if he recovers, Kandi is a half way decent back-up center if they can get someone else to start. With KG at 7-1 you can bring in an undersized center. If Sam and Troy both stay healthy then they could easily make the conference finals, and with one or the other they have an outside chance to win the honor of losing to the Spurs. They're no sure thing but I wouldn't give up KG if I had a shot.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
First of all, I will believe that the T'Wolves are trying to move Garnet when ESPN reports it. Usually a trade rumor is not put on the air unless it is substantiated somehow; even if the trade doesn’t go through. But…Let’s say for a minute that they are looking to move Kevin and his huge contract. I would think they would want something in return in the form of young prospects and probably first round draft picks. Many first round picks! I personally would give them just about anyone they want for Kevin and in the same sense, take back what ever bad contract they would want to throw in. I think they want to keep KG and put 1 or 2 remaining pieces around him to make another run. I would say in another 2 years if things remain the same, then they might trade him. I don’t see it happening now nor do I see them wanting anything from NY. They could get Carter from NJ if that was the case, he would put more butts in the seats than anyone we would give them. I would go as far to say that they could get Kobe for him and that would be a heck of a draw at the gate. If it is a salary dump they want to do, that’s fine, but I think they might wait to the next off season and try to trade for the #1 pick over all.

Ted

Benchwarmer
Come on, KG for Vince? No way. Who puts more butts in the Minni seats then him? This guy is Wolves basketball. KG's not going anywhere, but if he does it's for cap space and lots of it. Even if you could take on their whole payroll it really wouldn't make sense to give up one of league's top 3 for Vince or even Kobe. And why give up an MVP for the #1 pick unless LeBron or TD is in the class? If you trade KG for LeBron it at least makes sense down the road. But title contenders are usually not too quick to ruin their chances. I think that the Wolves have a slight chance at a title although it might take an injury to TD, Ben Wallace, and Shaq for them to do so. Even so they could be the fourth best team if they get a center. (Maybe Zeke will take Kandi's contract for Frye if you throw in two future firsts and a fat PF to be named later.) The thing I really like about this team compared to T-Woves teams of years gone by is that they have a potentially superior defense with KG, Griffin, Hassell, and Cassell. If Wally and Hudson show signs of life or they re-up with Spree or McCants is a poor man's Ben Gordon then the Suns better watch out.

Your eventual goal in rebuilding is to contend for a championship and the Wolves might do that this year. Why turn in a winning hand and a very popular player for an unpopular perimeter player like Kobe or a far less talented one with a questionable character like Vince. The only way that I think the T-Wolves take a minute out of their day to consider moving KG is if they really want to clear cap and you take on Wally, Hudson, and Kandi's contracts for expiring ones and give them several young prospects who are ready to contribute on a playoff team almost immediately(in the West). If any team is able to satisfy those needs it could be the Knicks. But that just shows you how much this trade is never going to happen. And going deep into the playoffs plus the higher cap makes up for the extra payroll.
This is the point when you wake up hear that the Knicks gave up Marbury, Sweetney, Frye, and a future pick to max out Kwame Brown and decided to give Michael Ruffin 8 mill per too just cause they didn't want to underpay him and you hit the snooze bar.