CHAD FORD...straight outta the horse's mouth.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Clipps will def. make sure Simmons stays.

Man, getting Dalembert, as doubtful as it is considering the Sixers' situation, would really be good for us. We'd have a strong core of starters that could play together for years... Marbury only has a few solid years left /w/ that knee. I only crave wins now b/c I'm assuming Steph will stay here. But if we WERE to strike that type of deal with Philly, then, as long as we're exciting, I could easily be more patient, knowing a championship is on the horizon.

NYK Way

Benchwarmer
Ted said:
portega1968 said:
Marbury went to GTech, so Atlanta may be interested....but for Al Harrington? I've been frying Marbury for his lack of D, etc., but there has to be something better than Al Harrington or Dalembert. He's still the best PG besides Nash and Kidd, so we shouldn't trade him unless we're getting a Top10-20 player in return. I prefer to target a desired player and then see what it takes 2get him. KG, Artest, Peja, Lamar, Brand, AK47, Gasol, Pierce, etc....I'd rather dream big than conform to Dalembert's supposed upside or Harrington's so-so game.

You're dreaming. Marbury is loved in NY but no where else. His style of play dominates a team. sure he gets a bunch of assists, but all jump shots after he drives and kicks it out. He's not a true point guard and there is a reason that Kidd and Nash led the same teams he couldn't do anything with deep into the playoffs. It's because they know how to play in a system and as a team not just drive and dish or take it strong 80% of their team's possessions. Marbury is also approaching 30 and has a bunch of years and a bunch of millions coming his way.
I don't think that you can win with him, otherwise I would agree with keeping him because you're not going to get anything comparable in a deal.
Harrington is a winner with an all-around game and one year at 7 mill left. If nothing else he can get you any big guy you want in a sign and trade.

Artest is the only star you might be able to get seeing as he's crazy and the Pacers are an ideal fit for Marbury: they need a point and have a star and a strong coach in place. The Pacers have a ready made replacement for Artest in Granger. Of course, then the Knicks are taking a huge risk on Artest. The Knicks lack of defense and effort would definately drive him nuts.
When Marbury was in the playoffs he was in the 7th and eight seed. How far do you expect the 7th and eight seed to go in the playoffs? Harrington is a decent player hes not a star as you make it sound like he is one.

Ted

Benchwarmer
Simmons is a wing not a PG.
Bob: The problem with the Knicks is that they have a bunch of players who get fans "excited" but none who know the first thing about winning or team basketball. Harrington is a much better player at this point than Dalembert. Even though he came off the ench he played serious minutes on the Pacers when they were a serious contender.

The point in moving Marbury to Atlanta is that you can't win with him as your point guard and that you clear his enormous salary for a player who is extremely valuable in sign-and-trades or who allows you to move Crawford or Q if anyone will have them.

Ted

Benchwarmer
No Harington is not a star. Neither is Marbury. Harrington has a great contract and plays d and understand the concept of a team. The point is that as soon as they got Kidd the Nets were a 1 seed as were the Suns when they got Nash, You play an entire season to get that seed it isnt just given to you.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
First, Isiah likes Marbury, and I don't think he'd do that to him....Atlanta is like the black hole of the NBA. And Harrington offers nothing special. Not a defensive stopper, can't hit the 3 consistently, and he's a tweener. I guess since he's an expiring contract, we could then use him in a deal a month or so afterwards. But as far as actually keeping him, I'm not so sure, especially when we have a blatant hole at Center.

If we're trading Marbury, I'd like to atleast get a Big Man prospect in the package...Dalembert is the next Dikembe Mutombo, and assuming he'll be signed to around 6-7 mill TOPS, we'll have one of the most economically friendly starting lineups around the league (Craw, Q, Ariza, Frye, Dally).

NYK Way

Benchwarmer
Ted said:
No Harington is not a star. Neither is Marbury. Harrington has a great contract and plays d and understand the concept of a team. The point is that as soon as they got Kidd the Nets were a 1 seed as were the Suns when they got Nash, You play an entire season to get that seed it isnt just given to you.
But when Marbury was in NJ Jefferson wasnt devloped into the type of player he is now. And when he was in Phoneix he had no healthy Amare. ANd before the Suns had Marbury were they a contender. Or before the Nets had Marbury were they a contender? Your puttng all the blame on Marbury...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
portega1968 said:
Marbury went to GTech, so Atlanta may be interested....but for Al Harrington? I've been frying Marbury for his lack of D, etc., but there has to be something better than Al Harrington or Dalembert. He's still the best PG besides Nash and Kidd, so we shouldn't trade him unless we're getting a Top10-20 player in return. I prefer to target a desired player and then see what it takes 2get him. KG, Artest, Peja, Lamar, Brand, AK47, Gasol, Pierce, etc....I'd rather dream big than conform to Dalembert's supposed upside or Harrington's so-so game.

I agree 100%. Dalembert is a nice player off the bench. He plays very good D so he won't take away from the game when he steps on the court. The only good part of the trade was Dalembert and that is not enough. I've been a very vocal advocate of trading Marbury now while he still has great value, but for more than Dalembert and some throw away(s). We won't get Gasol or KG for him and Harrington could be a piece if Atlanta added to the pot...Childress would open my eyes (and ears) a little more.
As far as the team suffering from not having a point guard, Detroit did it. Billups is not a point guard. But they had a nuclease of talent. Nate R is not ready to step in at all, he will need, at the very least, a full season under hi belt before he can even think of starting in NY...Maybe 2 full seasons. In the mean time, Isiah should focus on what's available to put into the lineup. bobs3304 and myself have been bouncing this notion back and forth on other threads... Here is list of players I would focus on trying to get. Walker, Kwame or Swift, a center like Jerome James (cheap and plays D). I would call around; see if Memphis would be interested in talking about Battier (I like his game and versatility he is a 3/2).. Give Detroit a buzz and see if they would be interested in talking about a deal for Prince and Portland about Miles (again a versatile player 3/2 and drive to the rim, has speed and lift as well as he plays D).
Also, why the hell would anyone want both SM and AI in the back court??? Did anyone see the Olympics when those guys played together?? My God, they must of went 30 for 300 from the 3 point line and the offense was STAGNET!! If owned the 76s and my GM traded for SM to put with AI, I would fire him... No I would send him to be tested for an extra chromosome!!!

Ted

Benchwarmer
Dalembert is the next Camby, Deke was one of the best defensive centers of all time. I like him and would love to have him but not for too much $.

Harrington is pretty damn close to a defensive stopper and can hit the 3 as consistantly as Q or Crawford who both shoot terrible %s. I don't know if people forgot how good he was on the Pacers just a year ago.

Marbury doesn't deserve all the blame, but as the best player he does get his share. The thing you have to look at in what we can get for Marbury is how little we gave up for him. If other teams were so in love with him they would have given a star then

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
NYK Way said:
Ted said:
But when Marbury was in NJ Jefferson wasnt devloped into the type of player he is now. And when he was in Phoneix he had no healthy Amare. ANd before the Suns had Marbury were they a contender. Or before the Nets had Marbury were they a contender? Your puttng all the blame on Marbury...

You know you would have a point if it wasn't for the fact that both Pheonix and NJ did a total 180 the very next season after the trades!

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
The problem around Marbury is plain and simple:

He's clearly very talented, but he's a SG trapped in a PG's body. GM's get mesmerized by his abilities and put all the pressure on his back. Problem is his position, not the player. Marbury is your typical Steve Francis. Not good for a team trying to win. Pure PG's are what your supposed to see in a player who's running a team. Marbury is a great great talent, but that's just the problem. Too much talent for a guy that's too short to be playing SG, and not crafted to play the point...

if he gets traded, it's b/c Isiah wakes up and realizes the Marbury experiment is over...

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Ted said:
Dalembert is the next Camby, Deke was one of the best defensive centers of all time. I like him and would love to have him but not for too much $.

Harrington is pretty damn close to a defensive stopper and can hit the 3 as consistantly as Q or Crawford who both shoot terrible %s. I don't know if people forgot how good he was on the Pacers just a year ago.

Marbury doesn't deserve all the blame, but as the best player he does get his share. The thing you have to look at in what we can get for Marbury is how little we gave up for him. If other teams were so in love with him they would have given a star then

Let's recap:

1.) Harrington is an average defender. Nothing to write home about.

2.) Harrington can hit the 3 about 30 % of the time. That's average.

3.) Dalembert isn't a Camby type. But I see why you say that. He's a very solid Center, and I dont give a fuck how much his contract would be b/c it would be FAR less than Marbury's. Being that good Centers are at a premium in the league, that should be the least of our worries...

4.) The problem is that I don't feel like Marbury can change his game to that of a SG. If we're gonna win, he needs to either change his game to a more pure PG, or play some minutes at SG. Only problem with that is that we have far too many players that need minutes, and not enough to go around. Unfortunately, Marbury is a fan-favorite. But so is Steve Francis. I think for the future, Marbury needs to be traded now for some cap space and a big man prospect (whether or not that's Dalembert).

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
bobs3304 said:
First, Isiah likes Marbury, and I don't think he'd do that to him....Atlanta is like the black hole of the NBA. And Harrington offers nothing special. Not a defensive stopper, can't hit the 3 consistently, and he's a tweener. I guess since he's an expiring contract, we could then use him in a deal a month or so afterwards. But as far as actually keeping him, I'm not so sure, especially when we have a blatant hole at Center.

If we're trading Marbury, I'd like to atleast get a Big Man prospect in the package...Dalembert is the next Dikembe Mutombo, and assuming he'll be signed to around 6-7 mill TOPS, we'll have one of the most economically friendly starting lineups around the league (Craw, Q, Ariza, Frye, Dally).

I think you are giving him more value then he deserves right now. I don't see him blocking shots like DM in his prime but I do think in this day and age he is a decent player to have but not at the price of Marbury. Again, he is a good defender and rebounder but his game is like JYD in my opinion, just taller. That's not a bad thing, or knock on him, just you are over valueing him.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
i agree what bob is saying completly.......

marbury is not a true point guard........but u know who is???

jason williams....ok imma get off that topic again.....

but seriously i really believe that marbury is cancerious to the knicks and need to be dealt.....we4 need a team leader who looks to pass first shoot second......

and crawford will not be a pointguard hes 2 soft to go into the lane

Ted

Benchwarmer
Did you ever watch the Pacers play? Harrington is an above average defender and would instantly be the best defender on the Knicks. He's not Artest but he's damn good.
Harrington is as good a three point shooter as Q or Crawford. He's not Peja but neither are they.

On what do you base Dalembert being any better than Marcus Camby. Camby is a very good defensive player with a better offensive game then Samuel Dalembert can hope to have. Dalembert just spent last season as Marc Jackson's back-up, but I guess comparing him to a hall of famer is fair.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
y u talkin bad about jyd.......he was the reason we won alot of our games last year with his hustle and skill to come off the bench and make an impact

trading jyd=huge mistake

the fans will be mad and so will the players

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Harrington is an average player for his position. He's talented, but does nothing particularly special. Even on that depleted Atlanta team, he could barely put up noteworthy numbers...

Dalembert offers something special - size AND freak athleticism. He can rebound and defend. I AM overvaluing him, simply b/c we NEED that type of player very badly.

Ted

Benchwarmer
Aright so I got a little to excited and Harrington can't shoot the 3. But that wasnever my point I don't know why I said he could. I guess i was more trying to say that Q and Crawford really aren't that great of shooters % wise. Harrington is maybe a #3 option on a contender, but he has a lot of other positive qualities.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
i believe harrington was injured for a while last year 2......that could maybe lower his value a bit.....

harrington is a real good player.....but he is nothing more then a bench guy.....he doesnt have that talent that will wo u.....

maybe in a year or 2 hes stll young he can improve.........but at this point i would rather have tim thomas and trevor ariza starting.....

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Harrington was traded for Stephen Jackson, who IMO, is a far better player. Harrington was valued by Atlanta b/c he's young. But he's nothing special. Trust me...

I think an eventual starting lineup of Dally, Frye, Ariza, Q, and Crawford would be one of the most exciting in the league...

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
acually q-rich is a good 3pnt shooter.......its just that he took 4000 3 pointers and 3900 of those shots wus takin with a hand in his face or him rushing it........

q-rich when open could be deadly he just needs to work on his shot selection like crawford did last year.......

i mean...u have to be pretty good to win the 3 pnt compitition....

Note: im not basing my arguement on the win of the 3pnt compitition