Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Evaluating our rooks

  1. #1
    El Cacique portega1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)
    Posts
    1,611
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Evaluating our rooks

    Channing Frye needs more time to develop than Darko has had to deserve time in our rotation. Anyone who thought the kid can be our starting center this season is plain nutty. Not only does he need time to develop, his game is better suited at PF. It would be a huge mistake to force him into the rotation this year.

    Can't say enough about Nate and Lee. Nate is ready for significant minutes off the bench this year and should help alleviate the wear&tear on Steph's ankles. Lee will probably get more time at sf than pf. Putting him in with Sweets and whatever center we get should represent a drastic improvement on the boards. Isiah really hit the spot with those two picks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    i really wish he would have taken green instead of frye. it really pisses me off when stupid gm's pick a big man just for the sake of picking a big man, like bab**** taking villanueva.

    we would have had a possible future superstar.

  3. #3
    Superstar KnicksFan20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Nj
    Posts
    554
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Frye will do just fine.......Give him a break......he is a good defensive player who can block shots.....hes quick and agile.....can run up and down the court.....


    he is a great player.......its hard to grab a rebound in summerleague games and average 10 a game because of all the looseball fouls called and all the illigal contact downlow that these rookie refs dont call.....


    givin some time he will be great.......maybe work on his post game....i dont see him as our starting center....he is more of a pf....but he will be just fine.....

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Damn what everyone seems to assume just because a kid gets drafted out of highschool he's a guaranteed susperstar i really hope you've seen gerald green play a actual game other than the Mcdonalds allstar game and/or dunk contest as for Channing Frye he will be fine let Mark Aguirre to teach him positioning and a couple of tricks he has good range can run the floor real good and can bang in the post only thing in this summer league they have not bin really focused on getting him the ball. but one thing that does scare me his defensive hasn't shown me anything yet that makes me feel secure about having a shot blocker in the in the paint...David Lee i get nuffin but good vibes from that kid he's aworkhorse the type of player i dont think you're gonna be able to question his heart and passion everynight on that court i have a real good feeling about him career wise and of course for Nate Robinson i dont wanna jump to any conclusions but the kid seems like a sure fire star in this league *prays* that we have the next kevin johnson/tim hardaway/iverson a man can hope can't he...if you wanted to draft green im pretty much guessing you're not a fan of Ariza who himself has the potential to become a star in this league at the same position at green..regardless if green becomes a star doesn't mean he would become a star on/for the knicks.

  5. #5
    Member Ewing33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Let's not lump Frye in with Charlie V....CV is a slug and has been...showing up for a game or two and then coasting...he will be a bust.
    Frye might not be the big banger we need, however, he will serve as a great guy to run the pick and pop with Steph...if you remember when Steph first came over we had great luck with Steph running off screens from Doleac (of all people) and having a shooter like Van Horn in the corner...now Steph can run that with Frye and we can have Q in the corner...YES we do still need a BIG man...but Frye will by a nice pick up.

  6. #6
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by jayjay
    Damn what everyone seems to assume just because a kid gets drafted out of highschool he's a guaranteed susperstar i really hope you've seen gerald green play a actual game other than the Mcdonalds allstar game and/or dunk contest as for Channing Frye he will be fine let Mark Aguirre to teach him positioning and a couple of tricks he has good range can run the floor real good and can bang in the post only thing in this summer league they have not bin really focused on getting him the ball. but one thing that does scare me his defensive hasn't shown me anything yet that makes me feel secure about having a shot blocker in the in the paint...David Lee i get nuffin but good vibes from that kid he's aworkhorse the type of player i dont think you're gonna be able to question his heart and passion everynight on that court i have a real good feeling about him career wise and of course for Nate Robinson i dont wanna jump to any conclusions but the kid seems like a sure fire star in this league *prays* that we have the next kevin johnson/tim hardaway/iverson a man can hope can't he...if you wanted to draft green im pretty much guessing you're not a fan of Ariza who himself has the potential to become a star in this league at the same position at green..regardless if green becomes a star doesn't mean he would become a star on/for the knicks.
    Thank you. I'm not too big on this Greene kid. He will take a while. He might be great but he will take about 4 years to be the player he is projected to be.

  7. #7
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    955
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    yea im now really happy with the draft. hopefully all 3 will have a big impact this season, and if not i think at least 2 will. frye definitely needs to develop and focus on the inside game. i think hell be fine with some work tho.

  8. #8
    El Cacique portega1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)
    Posts
    1,611
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Truth is Isiah is smart enough to not piss off the media, the Dolans, SFX Rob Pelinka and the rest of NY by not taking the "consensus" pick at the eighth in favor of a high schooler who needs time. But the day will come when people will ask themselves how could that kid have fallen to the Celtics in spite of the terrible workout he had with NY. He did make good with those other picks. Nothing else to do than give Channing a fair shot.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    good call jayjay on the "if your drafted out of high school your a superstar". alot of those guys should be thanking lebron for getting them hyped so much. to bad that they are the last class of that because now the age limit, but i'am sure someone will figure out a loop hole.

    the draft picks that we got look good though. nate is just a ball of fury (still wish i lived in new york to see him bang on some 7 footer at the garden), lee looks even better then i though he'd be and fyre will be fine at 4 or 5.

  10. #10
    Veteran JJtheKnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,220
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    This rookies look like they will become very solid players in the future. my guess is that if the knicks can get under the cap and maybe sign another all-star I say we got a fighting chance. Not this year but soon.

  11. #11
    El Cacique portega1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)
    Posts
    1,611
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I'm willing to bet Nate WILL win the slam dunk contest next year, beating out the likes of Kobe, Vince, McGrady, Josh, Fred Jones, Gerald Green (well, that last part may be just a bit overdoing it).

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    come on...frye is 6'10 1/2, hes shorter and skinnier than almost every true center in the nba. hes not a suberb shooter, passer or shot blocker. there is NOTHING special about him. hes a good kid, seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and will probably work hard to maximize his potential.

    he will be a serviceable center in this league. i can envision him getting something like 12-14 points, 7-8 boards, and maybe 2 blocks at his peak. for this comming year, im predicting:

    22-28 minutes
    7-9 points
    3-5 rebounds

    not exactly something to be extremely excited about.

    if we can trade frye, sweetney, tiny tim thomas, and penny, and maybe a future furst round pick to get

    garnett, hudson and wally

    i would do it. frye will never even be HALF the player garnett is.

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Ewing33
    Let's not lump Frye in with Charlie V....CV is a slug and has been...showing up for a game or two and then coasting...he will be a bust.
    Frye might not be the big banger we need, however, he will serve as a great guy to run the pick and pop with Steph...if you remember when Steph first came over we had great luck with Steph running off screens from Doleac (of all people) and having a shooter like Van Horn in the corner...now Steph can run that with Frye and we can have Q in the corner...YES we do still need a BIG man...but Frye will by a nice pick up.
    I agree. Frye will be a nice player. He will never be a Karl Malone or Moses Malone(scoring and toughness) but he will not be a stiff either. He needs time to learn the pro game and if he can perfect his jump shot, rebound and block some shots, that is all that we can ask.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    the bottom line is that frye is and will be nothing special. at best, he will be an average center in the nba, but most likely he wont even be that, and by the time he does get there, it will be 4 years down the road. i actually have bigger hopes for sweetney than i do for frye, both short term and long term. sweetney has that massive body that will help him at least to be a good rebounder. frye has neither a bulky body to get rebounds, nor the height to tower over guys and get easy shots and change the direction of shots on defense, nor the athleticism to run on fast breaks (like amare), nor the 3 point shot like rasheed or lafrentz. hes got nothin...sorry frye fans...thats the truth.

    swift doesnt have a good shooting stroke, but hes athletic, can rebound, and can play good D. hes tough and physical. he was a former 2nd pick overall. i really believe that if given the right opportunity, he could be like another ben wallace. hes got the physical tools to do so. if we can do a package deal with frye and someone else to memphis in return for a sign and trade involving swift, id be ecstatic.

    same thing if we can get kwame brown. hes got potential.

    the difference between frye and swift and/or brown is that a good big man can get u 20 and 10. i could possibly envision swift or brown being able to do that, but never frye...

  15. #15
    Member Ewing33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by a knick fan

    if we can trade frye, sweetney, tiny tim thomas, and penny, and maybe a future furst round pick to get

    garnett, hudson and wally

    i would do it. frye will never even be HALF the player garnett is.
    Of course we would make that trade...and if Minnesota made that trade Kevin McHale would be run out of town

    I would trade anyone and everyone to get KG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •