Here's what the Knicks passed up on

rady

Administrator
Staff member
fantastic dunk!
reminds me of vince carter's dunk over weis in the 2000 olympics

ny3nyk

Rotation player
wow......we did pass up on green but isiah had to fight the temptation. we needed a big man right away, and if we chose green frye wouldve probably be picked already by the 30th pick we had

dacash

Benchwarmer
so I.T. should have not traded for qrich, not got nate,not get lee,got bynum and green and have them develop for three more years of loses in this win now situation he is in. one play and this kid is going to be the greatest ever. look up harold minor for me please.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
dacash said:
so I.T. should have not traded for qrich, not got nate,not get lee,got bynum and green and have them develop for three more years of loses in this win now situation he is in. one play and this kid is going to be the greatest ever. look up harold minor for me please.

Jerome James' agent stated that Isiah approached him about signing with the Knicks the minute free agency begain, which just happened to be 3 days after the draft. I'm sure that Isiah knew going into the draft that he was going to acquire a big man in free agency to address our need for size. With that knowledge IT should have addressed the fact that this franchise has not had a SUPERSTAR on it's roster since Ewing's prime years. Marbury is definitely a star but he's not a SUPERSTAR.

Everyone in the league, from analyst to scouts to GM's is tagging this kid as the NEXT superstar. Even if he doesn't develop into a superstar and he turns out to be just an average player, it's still better than drafting a guy that's only expected to be above-averge at best, jason collins at worst.

I would love nothing more than if Frye were to prove me wrong and become a perenial all star for years to come, but from everything that I read about him that scenario would only happen if we were to develop him as a PF, a position that we have seemed to unfortunately fill for the next 3-5years.

If you're gonna take a chance on Lee with the 30th pick, why not take a chance on Taft with that pick. Someone said it best in this forum before, Lee is just another undersized forward with alot of hustle who reminds them of Mark Madsen or Eduardo Najera.

I love the QRich trade and the pick up of Nate, but JJ is definitely a big question mark and only time will tell how Frye will pan out.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
rady said:
fantastic dunk!
reminds me of vince carter's dunk over weis in the 2000 olympics

vincent6044NDCU.gif

ahh skeet skeet skeet

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
no, dacash, isiah just should have gotten green isntead of frye at 8 and done everything else that he did. DONT DRAFT A BIG MAN JUST FOR THE SAKE OF GETTING A BIG MAN. SO MANY GMS WASTE VALUABLE PICKS LIKE THAT. EXAMPLE: BABCOCK WITH HIS 7th PICK TAKING charlie v. it pisses me off so much to see that happen. its like if u are 7 feet tall u get a free pass through the nba and get a guaranteed multi million dollar contract from some stupid desperate gm who hopes u might become good someday, even if u suck and have no skills whatsoever.

frye will NOT be a good center in the nba, or a good power forward. check some of my other posts about why...i dont feel like repeating myself

and u dont have to get a big man in the draft, there are other ways...like giving a guy an MLE, sign and trade, etc...

lets put it this way...if we wanted garnett from minny (if he was being traded at all that is), and we had green on our team, we might be able to include a package including green to get garnett to entice minny into doing that deal more than if we have frye. green has much better trade value...people are always willing to gamble on a potential superstar. even 2 years from now, lets say green is averaging just 8 points a game or something like that, if hes showing signs of improvement, he STILL would have immense trade value just because of his potential, gm's would think that he could become the next tmac or kobe, and would be willing to give up a big name star to get green. they wouldnt do that for frye.

frye is an average player. sorry. thats all he is. its not like hes gonna make the knicks a better team, so whats the point in drafting him. my estimate of him is that hes a poor man's marcus camby.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
i pretty much think the same thing, it's just that i don't want to be completely negative about Frye without atleast giving him a chance.

portega1968

El Cacique
I was against drafting Frye, but Isiah had no choice considering the Dolans, Spike Lee, the media, SFX and half of NY would have dunked his butt if he would've drafted Green over Frye.

nyk33334

Benchwarmer
isiah dint really have a choice. besides 2 superstars in the locker room, especially 1 being stephon, wouldn't work over too well. (shaq&kobe) im not saying its always like that. i have no problem w/ drafting frye over green.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
i heard it's because isiah didn't think that green would have lasted until the 8th pick. After Frye worked out with the Knicks, Isiah asked Frye to shut down his other team workouts if we gave him a promise to draft him if he was available at the 8th. When Green dropped, there was nothing we Isiah could have done because he already gave Frye a promise.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
but isiah does make some real "iffy" decisions that make u scratch ure head:

2005-02-24 Maurice Taylor - Traded - For V. Baker, M. Norris, and 2nd-rd pick

can someone explain that trade to me? two guys with contracts nearing their end AND a draft pick for a power forward (when u already have SO MANY, including SWEETNEY, a young guy who u should be trying to develop and give more minutes, not put him in a logjam with other guys atthe same position). and not only that, mo taylor has a long, expensive contract.

COME ON. what the hell was isiah thinking on that one? am i the only one who thinks that he was smoking some real weird stuff before he did that one? doesnt he have any assistants who can tell him to stop doing stupid shit like that? theres gotta be people around him who MUST understand that it was a stupid trade? where were they?

AND, we could have gotten another ariza with that 2nd rd. pick.

LOOKING BACK AT THAT TRADE REALLY PISSES ME OFF BEYOND BELIEF.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
isiah just didn't like either baker or norris. he only signed baker to a contract b/c goodwin the agent for baker & crawford had a deal. goodwin helped sign crawford at the expense that we also had to sign baker. when we picked up mo taylor isiah said he didn't think taylor would be able to really contribute to the team last year and that we wouldn't see how he can really play until this coming season. taylor was coming off of an injury that kept him away from basketball for the 1st half of the season and he wasn't in any type of shape to play.

would you really wanna see vin "alcoholic" baker for another 3 years and moochie or mo taylor and whoever we might be able to pick up with the 2nd round pick. that pick along with thomas got us QRich and Nate Robinson. yeah, taylor has an immense contract but i really hated isiah for signing baker to a deal.

the deal i couldn't understand was nazzie for rose and spurs 1st rounder that turnded out to be lee. i think i'd much rather have nazzie than rose and lee.

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro: b4 the draft, I was hoping maybe the Knicks would have taken a shot at Green, but all the boards had Green going to Portland. What you got to understand though is that taking Green would have been a greater risk for Isiaiah than taking Frye.
1) We already have Ariza, so if we drafted Green, Nate, and got Rich, IT would have gotten killed if Green did not pan out. Green refused to work out against other rookies b4 the draft which hurt his stock, speculation of him being too weak, too immature, suspect defense, and only being a high school senior didn't help either. That's why he fell so low in the draft.
At least with Frye, we can develop him behind a fringe starter where he can mature while he gets playing time. Unless Green is the second coming of Lebron, he would not have seen the floor much behind Crawford, Richardson and Ariza.
2) A spectacular dunk doesn't mean he is going to be the next big thing. There are alot of players in the league that could do that who average around 6 points a game. I've been watching his reviews for the summerleague, analysts say he's a long way from contributing, and face it, Isiah does not have time to gamble on projects.

I think we are focusing too much on summerleague stats. Remember Wade and Lebron struggled in the summerleague, look how they turned out. All of our picks are expected to be legit, so let's be positive and give our rooks a chance.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
green is still immature (especially in the emotional department) and too raw. he wont be an all star in just 4 years. it will take at least 6-7. jermaine oneal didnt do shit for his first four yrs in the nba, and hes a big man.

still, green would have been a much better choice than frye. frye will NEVER be an all star. hes too short and skinny to be a good center and hes too skinny to be a good power foward. hes not special in any way. frye will be an AVERAGE player at best. green would have had much better trade value than frye. people talk about wanting to get a PF...well lets say the clippers were thinking about trading elton brand...would they trade him in a package that included gerald green or a package that included channing frye?