Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're not a championship team this year

Hybrid View

Default We're not a championship team this year

Hey now... let's be real, we've not going to be celebrating beating the Spurs in June 2006. Before i get killed for this thread... we are definitely moving in the right direction as a team, but just look at last years forum threads, optimism was sky high and yet on the ground we had a year to forget.

Just thing about it: $99 million payroll plus Frye ($1.7mill), Nate ($885K), Lee ($700), J.James ($5mill)... 17 players on the payroll (including H2O and Anderson) so that's already our max team unless we waive J.Butler who is signed for year... no one else to waive... that takes us to over $107 million

Let's take a look:
    PG: Steph, Nate
    SG: Q, Crawford, Penny, H2O (probably released)
    SF: TT, Ariza, Lee (summergames playing him at the 3), Anderson (waived)
    PF: Mo, Sweetney, Rose, JYD,
    C: James, Frye, Butler

So we trade Sweets and JYD or another for Walker... still not a championship team... maybe 2nd round. We could win the Atlantic division (like we all said last year), but this time with a better team... this is what rebuilding is like people... the danger for Isaih is to trade TT and Penny to teams cutting payroll for another 2 over the hill past their prime stars... then continue to bloat our payroll for the next 5 years... as it is 2006 looks like a payroll of $100 million and depending on any sign and trades for walker and trading penny and tt... 2007 which is looking at about $50 mill with our new acquisitions, could be back at 60-70 million... that's now free agents for the next 3 years!

Let's settle in for the ride, it'll have some great times too... Nate, Q, Ariza and a few others... hopefully Crawford can blossom into the player he promises to be... hopefully Isaih's plan (which has changed big time since he has started) factors all this in and more

Man, I am looking forward to November rolling around!
    Go Knicks!

obviously we're not a championship team yet. who do you think will be the top 10 this year?

Superstar

if our team meshes well and plays D we should win the atlantic. if not, i think well still be around 500

i think we will be definitly above 500, but by 2007, i think we would be a much better team and go deep in the playoffs because TTs contract is over and pennys contract is over and we would get rid of alot of bad contracts so that makes us more flexible in the free agent market.

cmon...lets not be negative next year...cant say that kinda stuff... knicks are prolly gonna do way better then u guys are exzpecting...even thow we might not be a championship team....i still believe we can develope during the year to be one and go all the way in the playoffs..

This is not an easy time for the Knicks... the team i love! Just look at all the coaches that would not come here... sure LB is open to the idea - that's because he's a NY guy, owns a home in the Hamptons and $50 million over 5 years is hard to resist... i just think that isaih has a look of work ahead, and we have to be VERY careful with what we do... being trade happy is we have become known could really hurt 2007... we don't want to have to do sign and trades at other teams mercy forever... we want to sign people straight up in 2007 not beyond that... if that's the case good buy to Yao, Amare and Lebron... all restricted free agents then... all we have is draft picks which is good but will take time to develop

i dunno about the coaching frenzy.......i would like pat riley to come back to us, maybe bring back the knicks back in the days

With the roster we have now, I don't think we'll beat the Nets out for the Atlantic Division so easily. They got Jefferson, Carter and Kidd, who love to kill the Knicks. Although I think our roster is better, and we've added size which was our problem last year, I think best case scenario we'll split with New Jersey. James should help keep Kidd and Co. out of the paint, and as their roster stands right now, Carter is their only consistent shooter. The Nets don't have much depth, which will give us a chance. Boston looks like they are rebuilding if they do ship Pierce, Philly is overrated and we should beat Toronto.

Wanna see the Knicks sick Nate Dog on Kidd!

ThWax said:

"We're not a Championship team this Year"

i dont think anyone within 50 miles of MSG said the word Championship

The knicks wont be a championship team until they get another all-star and get under the cap

Let's be realistic. The knicks have a shot at being a top 10 team this year, but they have no chance of winning a championship. Not for at least 3 years. No doubt about it, They've gotten back on track. I still don't think they're at this point any better than the celtics, and the nets(assuming they get abdur-rahim). Nate R was nice against nelson of orlando, but how much can you expect him to play behind marbury who will play at least 40 minutes a game? Unless Marbury gets traded (which would be a mistake because we haven't even seen Nate play an nba game), Nate will barely get any minutes. I'm not being negative. There's a difference between being negative and realistic.

Superstar

im hoping nate does get at least 10-15 mins of playing time cuz marbury needs a rest...we rode him hard last year and he should play about 30-35 a game this season

Originally Posted by pyotrveliky
    if our team meshes well and plays D we should win the atlantic. if not, i think well still be around 500
    we should deffinetly win the Atlantic, its the weakest division in the NBA

With the Nets getting Abdur-Rahim at PF... they look real strong now with Kidd, Jefferson, Carter, Abdur-Rahim, Krstic... Antoine Wright coming of the bench... this is no easy team to could out in the Atlantic Division... Boston is no gimme either... the Sixers are on their way up with Dalembour, Green, Iguadala, Korver (all young and growing)... if Larry is our coach, who knows what the possibilities are!!!

One thing is for sure, the Atlantic Division is strengthening... not the bottom of the barrel any longer?

Superstar

jersey has no depth tho. some1 is sure to get injured and you saw what happened with that last year. boston concerns me more i think cuz they have the veterans with a solid core of young players and theyre pretty deep. sixers are going nowhere with webber and korver is a poor mans allan houston. if dally gets minutes then we might have something to worry about.