Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shawn Marion, a Knick by February?

i'm not sure way we would give away a #1 pick and Ariza for Marion with $63 million... sure he is a good player... but he is not KG, Shaq, Kobe, Amare, D-Wade, etc... Cap space does become an issue with Marion... with the others probably not! Marion just isn't an A+ top tier player... he's 6'7 would play SF, put Ariza and Lee back and we'd still have a big hole at PF even though we have so many of them

Superstar

in the east he could probably play PF. he did it in the west...true it was with a run and gun team but hes athletic and quick enough to guard big guys i think.

Look at three free agents signed with the MLE this summer... Abdur-Rahim with the Nets, Stromile Swift with the Rockets, Jerome James with the Knicks... all signed 5 year deals for 29 million.

This is a tricky one as we need a center more than a PF... but on a pure talent, upside and effectiveness basis, I think we got the 3rd option... in my opinion... in order of talent: swift (he's also young), 2nd is abdur-rahim (proven, sometimes soft), 3rd is James (hasn't ever played high minutes)

A tricky one as GM, Fyre is not ready... also Swift prefered Rockets to the Knicks, preferred the opportunity to play with T-Mac and Yao versus Marbury and... well we don't have a second All-Star (unfortunately we don't have one at all... not yet )

Just some thoughts people, don't hate on me for for the food for thought

i know that phoenix might want to move him...but that doesnt mean that the KNICKS will get him...there will be LOTS of teams interested in getting marion, and probably the team thats willing to give up the most will get him. i dont think isiah will want to part with his young prospects, even though i probably would.

look...swift was available...and he signed for just the MLE...but NOT with the knicks...

my intuition tells me that we are not front runners for marion...at all...

but anyway...

marion is a better player than ariza...much better. if ariza fulfills all his potential, maybe he will be 90% the player marion is. lee is just a hustle guy, a good role player off the bench...but not some great all star in the making.

so,

i would easily do:

marion for ariza, lee, hardaway

but i just dont think that will be enough...

there's not really much else on our roster that phoenix would want - i doubt marbury will be traded (or nate), they already have amare so they dont need sweetney, the only other guy i can think of is crawford, but they need money to sign amare, so i dunno if they want another contract...

but lemme say this:

if phoenix trades marion, they will become a MUCH worse team.

marion is so underrated, so undervalued, that he is the 2nd best player on the suns, and actually i might even go out on a limb and make a case that he is even better than amare, but i wont go that far. he is easily a top 10 plaer in the league. any smart gm would give him the max contract in 2 seconds or take his contract if they could.

the suns will miss him dearly if they trade him.

Originally Posted by a knick fan
    i know that phoenix might want to move him...but that doesnt mean that the KNICKS will get him.
    The only reason why Phx needs to move Marion is because of his contract. Next season, they need to resign Amare to a MAX contract and having Nash onboard making $10+ mil, joe johnson making $12+mil, they need to clear up some cap space to allow this to happen.
    The reason why the knicks is so attractive is that they have a big money expiring contract in TT or Penny that ends after the 05/06 season. This means that if Marion was traded for TT, then at the end of the year, Phx would get TT's 15mil off the books and would have the money to sign Amare right after the season ended. It's the same process they did with McDyess' contract in the trade for Marbury and Penny so that they could sign Nash to a big contract.

Marion's contract might be big - but he plays like he's worth it - the man is still young, and averages 20pts, 12rebs, 2asts, 2stls and 1.5 blks a night

As Isiah recently said - being under the cap doesn't really give u any edge, because big time FA's 99% of the time resign with their original teams because they are able to get much more money aka Kobe, Ray Allen, Redd.
    They only way to get great players is in trades aka Shaq, Mcgrady, Vince.
    so being under the cap does nothing for the knicks and once Dolan has no problem paying the luxury tax, then we should go for a trade that would bring Marion here....

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

Besides KG, Marion is the only other player in the top 40 in seven statistical categories....points, FG%, FT%, rebounds, blocks, assists and steals...and someone's saying he isn't a top tier player?

I don't think we will have to give up Ariza or any of the prospects on our rosters...TT's expiring deal and maybe a pick, that's all it takes.

Ariza is like Scottie Pippen, does everything on the court but does nothing spectacular (besides dunking). All he needs is a Jordan to really make him fulfill his potential. Nate isn't Jordan, but I suspect Nate and Ariza will become a formidable fastbreak duo in this league.

Anything could happen before Feb...Amare or Marion could be injured for example, and something like that could sink this scenario of us vying for Marion. Bottom line is, cap fears shouldn't stop us from getting a player who automatically makes us a contender. The reason for getting under the cap is to get players like Marion.

Originally Posted by portega1968
    Besides KG, Marion is the only other player in the top 40 in seven statistical categories....points, FG%, FT%, rebounds, blocks, assists and steals...and someone's saying he isn't a top tier player?
    What I said was "sure he is a good player... but he is not KG, Shaq, Kobe, Amare, D-Wade, etc... Cap space does become an issue with Marion... with the others probably not! Marion just isn't an A+ top tier player..."

I don't believe Marion is on par with these A+ players... the best of the best in the league... he is not a KG, or a Kobe or a Shaq... if he was the Suns would be CRAZY letting their franchise player go for TT's ailing contract... of course Marion is good... better than good... but do we want him with four years and 63 million playing his natural position at SF having Ariza and Lee sharing a few minutes behind him for 4 years... now i think that we'll probably trade a few of our up and coming prospects for a good deal like the Heat did for Shaq sometime soon... who know then it could work out... i'm just not sure if we all want to be capped out until the 2009/2010 seasaon... that's 4-5 years away... for some guys that's a career

What people don't realize is that Marion, like AK47 (Andre Kirilenko) is a top player. They both contribute in every offensive and defensive category there is. If you play Fantasy BBall, Marion is always one of the Top FIVE players.

You might say that this isn't fantasy bball we're talking about and that Marion can not take over games like all the other players mentioned before, but Marion just like players AK47 and Big Ben, are important just the same b/c all the factors that they contribute to are considered as "intangible qualities". These "intangible qualities" in special players add a vital component to the overall team makeup.

Right, Marion isn't KG, Tim D, Shaq, Kobe, Tracy M, and you can't put Dwane Wade there yet... Let's see the guy do it for another year or 2 before we throw him in with the dominate players in the NBA, but no he's not him either... He's Shawn Marion, a 6' 7" player who can dominate at his natural position, the 3 and carry a team for periods of a game. He isn't an A+ player, but he is an A player and he brings his A game everynight. Will the Knikcs win a championship if we did get him in Feb? No, we wouldn't but we would be that much closer to being a top team in the NBA again. If Frye can develope at the 4, like experts think he can, than I say Next season, when Brown coaches the Knicks, we will be a force to reckon with. We still need another low post force to help dominate down there, and I believe we will get 1 either this or next season. Getting Marion would bring us sooo close!

Veteran

if this rumor is true then why not do it. as good as getting under the cap sounds it wont happen for years. id take marion in a heart beat. and if we can get him for as low as TIM THOMAS!?! then what the hell. you have him start the SF. i dont understand why the Suns would give away 2 of their starters from last year though. it makes no sense. to sign back Amare? im pretty sure if you stay with your original team you can get signed back for the max..listen if we can do it. DO IT!!! SF for SF. C+ player for a A player...

and the rookie contracts that they all signed say 2 years then 2 team options...so well lose them only if we want to lose them.

C Jerome James
    F Mike Sweetney
    F Shawn Marion
    G Jamal Crawford
    G Stephon Marbury

doesnt look too bad to me...but i have a feeling Antoine Walker will be our starting PF. Allan Houston will be waived. and either Penny or Mo Taylor (with Rose or Williams) for our new starting PF.

so with a good 5 line up and a bench of Frye, Butler, a PF, Ariza, Lee, Richardson, Robinson looks like a good mix of cast to me

can anyone remember how was the relationship between marbury and marion while steph was still playing for the suns?

Originally Posted by NYKnicks15
    C Jerome James
    F Mike Sweetney
    F Shawn Marion
    G Jamal Crawford
    G Stephon Marbury

doesnt look too bad to me...but i have a feeling Antoine Walker will be our starting PF. Allan Houston will be waived. and either Penny or Mo Taylor (with Rose or Williams) for our new starting PF.

so with a good 5 line up and a bench of Frye, Butler, a PF, Ariza, Lee, Richardson, Robinson looks like a good mix of cast to me
    why would crawford start instead of richardson? i would rather use jackie butler as the 4 instead of sweetney. i thought sweet and williams was trade bait but not for antoine walker. i think butler will be just fine. btw, how was marburys relationship with marion? good? bad?

Veteran

I think Crawford if not traded would start at the 2. Why? Just because a relapse from last year. I know we didnt succeed, BUT if Herb is our coach I think hell go with familiarity before anything. Try it, see how it goes then if needed make the switch.

If Larry is coach i think everyone has a fair chance except the rookies and marbury...Marbury gets an automatic pass, worked on the Olympics together they have a good relationship and i think for Larry to have the team Marbury has to be on it.

Sweets a far better rebounder and even tho he fouls alot he also forces the fouls aswell. gets to the line and plays hard.

if i had my choice with this roster the starting 5 would be...
    C Jerome James
    F Shawn Marion
    F Quentin Richardson (or Trevor Ariza)
    G Jamal Crawford (or Q-Rich)
    G Stephon Marbury

BUT i dont think larry would go for the run and gun style..

PS if i can remember correctly they had a good relationship aswell as Marbury with Amare. No incidents or stories (to my recollection) had got out about anything otherwise.

i am acually startin to believe this as false....there is not 1 other site ive seen this rumor on.....

its 2 good to be true.......also if we get marion we wil have to get rid of marbury.......or we will be screwed up the ass in salary

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

I'd rather have Marion than Marbury to be honest.

This isn't bogus, it's speculation on a real possibility considering the circumstances unless something unexpected occurs.

Facts? Phoenix is pressured to sign Amare next year to the max. Phoenix is pressured to match Atlanta's max offer to Joe Johnson. These two circumstances would force Phoenix to deal Marion. TT's contract is a highly probable alternative. All facts.

But this won't play out until January, so until then, its just speculation.