Shawn Marion, a Knick by February?

portega1968

El Cacique
SI.com speculates Isiah may be able to get Shawn Marion in exchange for TT's expiring $14million by the February deadline.

If we can get a better starting center in a 3way, like Dalembert, Chandler or Magloire, in exchange for Sweets/Jamal, then get Marion by Feb, we may be able to get back to the Eastern Conference finals.

A starting 5 of:
Chandler (4,5)
Frye (4,5)
Marion (3,4)
Q (2,3)
Steph(1,2)

backed by: (9man rotation)
James (5),
Trevor (2,3)
Lee (3,4)
Nate (1,2)

Mo, Allan, Butler (need another point guard) round out the roster (waive Rose or use the Gilbert Arenas clause to waive a future bad contract we may need to take if trading for a big man).

Wouldn't that be one hell of a shotblocking frontcourt (Chandler, Frye and Marion)?

ny3nyk

Rotation player
hey i made the topic first, but its all good. i can see where your going with chandler. we would be very tough, but at this point i think magloire would be unnecassary because of james. if we get chandler i would rather start him as a 4, not a 5. we'd be a very good rebounding team if we get marion

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
I kinda like this.......for the team..........but im a tim thomas fan and it would be coo if there was a way for him to stay.....

maybe if we can pacage rose mo taylor and wutnot but they need a sf

maybe give them back q or sum.......even tho they wont do that but i would like to keep timmy but The matrix would be betta for the team.....

Why does the knicks keep bailing the suns out with contracts??? first marbury now Marion.....

thwax

Benchwarmer
if we take on Marion's contract at $63 mill over the next 4 year... we'll be over the cap for the next 4 years and only be able to sign a player in the 2009/2010 season... with means we will not be able to resign anyone on our current roster including any of our new draft picks... that's no Ariza, no Nate, Lee, Frye... even if they all pan out as become superstars... we'll say goodbye to them all as we watch them play for other teams

portega1968

El Cacique
My bad on not seeing the other Marion post.

Does anyone think the NY Knicks will EVER be able to go under the cap? Fan expectations and media attention just don't allow true rebuilding in this city, which is the way to go if you want to go under. That just isn't happening with the NBA flagship franchise, where winning is a must every year. I'm not pleased with being so capped for so long, but are any of the alternatives besides rebuilding gonna bring us below the cap?

I like Marion's game a lot. That guy rebounds, pops the 3, blocks, jumps, knows how to finish,etc. I wish Isiah would've gotten him instead of Q for KT, but Q and Nate will be great. I'd rather have him more than Steph and Q.

Nate, Frye and Lee will be here for approx. 4 years (2 guaranteed and 2 team option) unless traded. With time, we see how they develop and plan on signing the keepers. Trevor comes with the Gilbert Arenas clause, so he isn't going anywhere ever (Knick for 20 years) . Free agency is and always will be a bit out of our reach unless we find takers for our longterm guys.

Then again, it sucks to be capped.

JJtheKnick

Starter
this would be a great rade if this one goes through. TT is not a great player and i dont think he will ever be but shawn is a great player and is going to be a real force

stephonmarbury8

Benchwarmer
I thought maybe to reduce capsize to get marion we could give them crawford, or allen if he returns strong, and gives us strong trade bait, that would be dope, marion and marbury got along in phx, i dont think there would be any problem there.

portega1968

El Cacique
Why would Phoenix give up Marion? Well, if they match Atlanta's offer to Joe Johnson, Phoenix is basically forced to let Marion go in order to be able to have a chance at resigninig Amare to a max. Therefore, they must trade him for an expiring contract (Tim Thomas is a match). Therefore, all these suggestions that we should send them Mo, Jamal, Rose or Houston don't work for them because they are not expiring contracts, which is the reason for them letting Marion go. I'm still laughing at the suggestion that we should send them Rose and Taylor for Marion, comeon, only our GMs are that stupid.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
Maybe with the aqusation of marion isaih will finally trade marbury...

or maybe get chandler from the bulls.......maybe they will add a #2 pick or sum.....or curry.......curry is a better scorer then chandler and they both can block shots

James
chandler(or curry)
Marion
Q-rich
Crawford

That is a starting 5 right there

but i would like for isaih to maybe trade james or sum and get swift for the pf pos and start chandler or curry at the 5

but after just signing james i highly doubt he would trade him...

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro:
I love "the Matrix". If there was a way of getting him without killling us for the next 100 years I'd be for it. He was playing out of position at the 4 last year, he's a small forward, but he did average close to 10 rebounds a game. It would look good to start him at the three, he's also a good shooter and lockdown defender which is rare, and with VC and Rich Jefferson in our division for a while, I'd be for some kinda trade to get him. IT would have to be smart though, maybe include Rose and Taylor with TT to make that deal work, I don't know, not too familiar with all the salary cap logistics.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
dunno who we can offer chicago for chandler...but since chandler has some attitude problem maybe its not in his best interest to play for ny....steven hunter would be nice at the 4. and if were actually to chase marion, i guess we could offer jyd and rose

JJtheKnick

Starter
i dont know if we can keep doing this sign and trade stuff. JUST GET UNDER THE CAP. can you think if we were under the cap how many free agents would want to come to a market like NY.

thwax

Benchwarmer
We are getting abused with all the sign and trades we are making... we have become a laughing stock in the league... i agree, let's get UNDER THE CAP!!

We are an attractive market to play in as an up and coming star... we should be a franchise for former all stars, the has beens, those in the twilight years of their careers... let's bite the bullet and get under the cap!

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
come on, i think its a little delusional to think we can get marion.

is there any valid sources to these rumors of getting marion.

you cant just make up crazy trade scenarios that dont make any sense and have a very slim chance of ever happening...

i mean, why doesnt some start a thread on shaq comming to new york?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
a knick fan said:
come on, i think its a little delusional to think we can get marion.

is there any valid sources to these rumors of getting marion.

you cant just make up crazy trade scenarios that dont make any sense and have a very slim chance of ever happening...

i mean, why doesnt some start a thread on shaq comming to new york?

The source was si.com (sports illustrated) so I think it is legit. I read everyone cawing over the fact that if we did get Marion, then we are looking at 4 more years being over the cap. I'm not sure if you have noticed but all the "big" market teams are over the cap and always will. Atlanta, Charlotte, LA (clippers) is teams that stay under the cap but never amount to anything. Also, look at what happens when a somewhat talented player becomes a free agent, the are usually given very long and pricey contracts anyway. The top players usually resign with their perspective team because they can pay the most money. It is such a crap shoot to hinge the future on players that might be available when their contracts come to tearm. NY will always be struggling with cap issues. SL made sure of that and I think the realistic approach to improving the team is through trades. NY needs to make waves and that's it. If anyone thinks bringing in Marion to play the 3 spot for the Knicks is a bad move, then you haven't see him play or are familiar with him as a player. Marion would be a welcome addition, not to mention a tremendous impact player. He is tough and very talented. Yes he has an unconditional release to his shot, but he is affective offensively, he sprints up and down the court and stands his ground on D. Pheonix needs to control their salary, and they have enough talent to compete, even without Marion in the lineup. With AS and Joe J, they will do fine. I think they might want to clear up salary to get a Center as well. This move actually makes sense for both teams. We take on a huge contract but get a tremendous player for the money; unlike the Maliks' and MT's that we have brought in. If the Knicks do get him, even if it is in Feb, they will be one of the top teams in the eastern conference. They would also be a player or two away from being one of the top teams in the league again. Also, Isiah would have worked a miracle with this team!

20 is a CROOK

Benchwarmer
Knicks Moves

While Shawn Marion is a great player, he is way too expensive for the Knicks to trade for. While I agree that Tim THomas is an absolute embarrassment on the court, and we desperatley need to dump him, bringing on another huge contract is no the way to go.

The Knicks are notorious for making awful moves and bringing on TERRIBLE players such as Tim Thomas, and Anfernee Hardaway. I don't care how good Marbury does it is not worth to pay Penny 15 million a year. He looks like he couldnt score 20 in a Long Island park game. We should keep the players we have and continue to dump contracts. We need to rid ourselves of the cancers such as Allan "arthritic knees" Houston, Penny Hardaway, Tim Thomas, Maurice Taylor, and Malik Rose. Those players should not be in the top 7 of any teams squads.

We are heading in the right direction with this years draft, we finally drafted well, and didn't draft some bum from Europe, or trade our pick for a ridiculous over the hill player. Even though I would have loved to see Gerald Green in the garden, Channing Frye is a solid solid pick. I also would have like to seen the Knicks take ROnny Turiaf at 30, but David Lee looks pretty well.

FINALLY, ALLAN HOUSTON DO THE RIGHT THING AND RETIRE, NEW YORK HAS GIVEN SO MUCH TO YOU, STOP ROBBING THE FANS AND THE TEAM AND JUST CALL IT QUITS! ITS THE MANLY THING TO DO, BE A MAN FOR ONCE IN UR LIFE