Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shawn Marion, a Knick by February?

We are getting abused with all the sign and trades we are making... we have become a laughing stock in the league... i agree, let's get UNDER THE CAP!!

We are an attractive market to play in as an up and coming star... we should be a franchise for former all stars, the has beens, those in the twilight years of their careers... let's bite the bullet and get under the cap!

come on, i think its a little delusional to think we can get marion.

is there any valid sources to these rumors of getting marion.

you cant just make up crazy trade scenarios that dont make any sense and have a very slim chance of ever happening...

i mean, why doesnt some start a thread on shaq comming to new york?

its possible

Originally Posted by a knick fan
    come on, i think its a little delusional to think we can get marion.

is there any valid sources to these rumors of getting marion.

you cant just make up crazy trade scenarios that dont make any sense and have a very slim chance of ever happening...

i mean, why doesnt some start a thread on shaq comming to new york?
    The source was si.com (sports illustrated) so I think it is legit. I read everyone cawing over the fact that if we did get Marion, then we are looking at 4 more years being over the cap. I'm not sure if you have noticed but all the "big" market teams are over the cap and always will. Atlanta, Charlotte, LA (clippers) is teams that stay under the cap but never amount to anything. Also, look at what happens when a somewhat talented player becomes a free agent, the are usually given very long and pricey contracts anyway. The top players usually resign with their perspective team because they can pay the most money. It is such a crap shoot to hinge the future on players that might be available when their contracts come to tearm. NY will always be struggling with cap issues. SL made sure of that and I think the realistic approach to improving the team is through trades. NY needs to make waves and that's it. If anyone thinks bringing in Marion to play the 3 spot for the Knicks is a bad move, then you haven't see him play or are familiar with him as a player. Marion would be a welcome addition, not to mention a tremendous impact player. He is tough and very talented. Yes he has an unconditional release to his shot, but he is affective offensively, he sprints up and down the court and stands his ground on D. Pheonix needs to control their salary, and they have enough talent to compete, even without Marion in the lineup. With AS and Joe J, they will do fine. I think they might want to clear up salary to get a Center as well. This move actually makes sense for both teams. We take on a huge contract but get a tremendous player for the money; unlike the Maliks' and MT's that we have brought in. If the Knicks do get him, even if it is in Feb, they will be one of the top teams in the eastern conference. They would also be a player or two away from being one of the top teams in the league again. Also, Isiah would have worked a miracle with this team!

Default Knicks Moves

While Shawn Marion is a great player, he is way too expensive for the Knicks to trade for. While I agree that Tim THomas is an absolute embarrassment on the court, and we desperatley need to dump him, bringing on another huge contract is no the way to go.

The Knicks are notorious for making awful moves and bringing on TERRIBLE players such as Tim Thomas, and Anfernee Hardaway. I don't care how good Marbury does it is not worth to pay Penny 15 million a year. He looks like he couldnt score 20 in a Long Island park game. We should keep the players we have and continue to dump contracts. We need to rid ourselves of the cancers such as Allan "arthritic knees" Houston, Penny Hardaway, Tim Thomas, Maurice Taylor, and Malik Rose. Those players should not be in the top 7 of any teams squads.

We are heading in the right direction with this years draft, we finally drafted well, and didn't draft some bum from Europe, or trade our pick for a ridiculous over the hill player. Even though I would have loved to see Gerald Green in the garden, Channing Frye is a solid solid pick. I also would have like to seen the Knicks take ROnny Turiaf at 30, but David Lee looks pretty well.

FINALLY, ALLAN HOUSTON DO THE RIGHT THING AND RETIRE, NEW YORK HAS GIVEN SO MUCH TO YOU, STOP ROBBING THE FANS AND THE TEAM AND JUST CALL IT QUITS! ITS THE MANLY THING TO DO, BE A MAN FOR ONCE IN UR LIFE

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

Thank you hometheaterguy, took the words out of my mouth. Seems some people enter the forum and don't read the entire thread, and end up repeating the same stuff and asking questions that have been already answered.

Why would we want to go under the cap? To get guys like Marion. Isiah would be dumb not to grab him for TT if he has the chance. I'd rather have Marion and try to get rid of anyone else on our team that not take him for fear of being capped. The guy is KG with 5 less inches: he scores efficiently, rebounds, steals, blocks,has crazy hops, runs the floor, pops the 3 and is only 27. The only reason Phoenix has 2 let him go is to retain Amare and we are not going to take advantage of that?

Trevor is a knick for the next 20 years because of the Gilbert Arenas clause in the new CBA (his contract won't ever pay luxury tax). Nate, Lee and Frye have 4 year deals (by then we see who's worth keeping and manuever to resign).

New York is a city of high expectations. It would be nice to do the right thing and try to get under the cap, but that means not competing for a couple of years and that just isn't happening in New York. Too much pressure from sponsors and the media. If given the chance of taking Marion in Feb to make a playoff push this year versus not doing it to have cap space down the road, this team will always take this year. You're daydreaming if you think we'll ever be under the cap in this city.

im just afraid of losing nate lee and frye but i see the your point of the 2 year deals. with marion, i think we will be at least the top 5 in rebounding, the guy avged 11. if we get marion, i say getting rid of mo taylor and or jyd is a main priority

Alot of people hate on MO Taylor, other than his contract situation I think he is a pretty good player. I could care less if he didn't play so well for Houston, but every game that I saw him play for the Knicks, he showed up and did his thing. Dude is a scoring machine and could get to the line by being aggresive around the basket just like Sweetney, which is something that Kurt was missing

Is Isiah trying to turn the Knicks into the Suns?

In the past month he's:

1. traded for Q
    2. drafted an uptempo point guard (Nate)
    3. gone after Stephen Hunter

He keeps saying he wants a young, athletic team that can run the break. Getting Marion would make this the "Suns East".

Originally Posted by dasilva1079
    Alot of people hate on MO Taylor, other than his contract situation I think he is a pretty good player. I could care less if he didn't play so well for Houston, but every game that I saw him play for the Knicks, he showed up and did his thing. Dude is a scoring machine and could get to the line by being aggresive around the basket just like Sweetney, which is something that Kurt was missing
    I like Mo Taylor but not at the money we are paying for him and MR is even worse!! Yes, MT can score but he doesn't play D that well and the Knicks have scorers, that isn't the problem with this team, it's D. Marion would be the first right move this team has made in a long time. Yes he has a big contract but he is a big time player. You know, I would take KG and is Huge contract if the Wolves wanted to move him... Wouldn't you?? Size of contracts aren't a problem if you have:
    1) the money to support the contracts
    2) the player is a big time, proven star in the NBA
    The Knicks M.O. has always been taking big contracts of mediocre players to just outright bad players. Everyone is patting Isiah on the back for his draft picks, but it was Taylors contract that got us Lee and the KT trade that got us Nate. Next year he has multiple #1 picks as well, thanks to taking on MR's contract. Now, these picks may or maynot become NBA caliber players, never mind a future superstar. So, my point being, Marion is Young, a star and has proven his talent year in and year out. We would finally be getting our moneys worth with him. We could still let contracts run out in the process but getting him for TT is no different if we signed Marion outright. Don't you think Isiah would give him the very same contract (money wise) that he would get if he does trade TT for him? I say, if we could get Marion for TT, do it and still try to either, dump or let wait out some of the bad contracts.

and timmy is making about the same as marion so it wont be that bad for this year.......but he has a long deal.......

if the knicks get him.......the knicks will be a strong P/off team

then we cut or trade penny and keep houston or if we can trade penny cut houston.

then trade marburys huge contract 2 a team over the cap or not far under and try to get a good Pf

if we can do that we can be under the cap......

its sounds easy but it wont be easy for a team to take there contracts

then right there thats over 40 mil in contract there

marbruy-around 19 mil
    houston-around 19 mil
    hardaway- around 12-15 mil

i say use hardaway as trade bait to memphis where he longed to play. there were rumors i think a while back that the knicks were trying to buy him out so he can sign with the magic again

hey i never said dont get marion. hes an excellent player. he plays D, rebounds, does everything. i just said that i think it will be very, very hard to get him without giving up something like almost all the young prospects on our team.

marion is a top 10 player in the nba, and he is worth a maximum contract. i would not mind his contract one bit.

the big thing is, i just dont think there is even the slightest hope that he will be comming to ny any time soon, it just doesnt seem like a realistic possibility to me, despite any "rumors" or credible sources that say so. lots of these credible sources say that something is a possibilty, and 90% of the time, nothing happens.

phoenix will simply want too much in return for him.

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

A Knick Fan, have you read the thread where the possibility of getting Marion is explained?

The assumption is that Phoenix is basically forced to clear his contract if they have any hopes of keeping Amare and Joe Johnson and staying around the cap. Just happens that the best way to that is a trade before the feb deadline for a contract that expires at season end and is within 25 percent of Marion's. Preferably, a player in the same position to plug the hole till seasons end. Who happens to fit that definition? Tim Thomas' $14mil. Not Penny, much less Allan, Rose or Taylor.

So this is plainly a realistic possibility unless some other team throws in picks or rookies to sweeten the deal. I would gladly throw in Frye if needed.

Originally Posted by a knick fan
    hey i never said dont get marion. hes an excellent player. he plays D, rebounds, does everything. i just said that i think it will be very, very hard to get him without giving up something like almost all the young prospects on our team.

marion is a top 10 player in the nba, and he is worth a maximum contract. i would not mind his contract one bit.

the big thing is, i just dont think there is even the slightest hope that he will be comming to ny any time soon, it just doesnt seem like a realistic possibility to me, despite any "rumors" or credible sources that say so. lots of these credible sources say that something is a possibilty, and 90% of the time, nothing happens.

phoenix will simply want too much in return for him.
    You might be right about the Marion to NY for TT. You are right about trade rumours and the percentage of them that come true. But, there is money issues with alot of teams and Pheonix is one of them. It so happens that they have young talent that are top players in the NBA and their rookie salaries are finished. They could keep Marion, sign Joe J at 70m for 5 years and then give AS the max contract.... I don't think they would have the funds to do that. I think it is in their best interest to move him, if they want to retain AS. I would give them TT (for the money match) and say a #1 and even Ariza if they wanted a postion replacement. If they don't resign JJ, then Marion isn't even a disscusion.