DETROIT BUYING BROWN OUT !!!

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I read that his wife doesn't want him to coach and just get better health wise as well as spend time with his young kids. Since Larry had to coach in the Olympics he didn't have much time for his kids. So I have a feeling his wife is going to pressure him to rest, but then Isiah is going to pull out the checkbook and write a check with so many digits that they are not going to be able to resist. I read another articles that said that the Knicks were ready to make Larry the highest paid coach in NBA history with like $14 million per year, even more than phil jackson. The Pistons right now owe Larry $18 mil for 3 years per contract, but I don't know if the buyout negociations will save them any money.

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea so supposedly its close to official. and now i am a big fan of larry brown and the work he does (excluding his primadonna attitude)...theres two things that scare me though.

ONE- HEALTH...can he last? or will this 64 year old man with health issues already leave us high and dry sometime in the near future like we have been practically all summer. this problem is a big one..

TWO- COACHING...now i know the sound of that seems ludacris BUT think about it. We have shooters and scorers on our team. Marbury, Crawford, Q-Rich, Robinson, Ariza how could there style of play cooperate with Larry's? I think Isiah through the draft and the moves he will make the rest of the summer speak as though he was building a run and gun team. Now with Larry well be slowed down and defensively structured NOT bad at all by any means but just different from what these guys bring to the table....expect trades to come up that would please Larry's style of coaching...ANOTHER thing about his coaching is TEACHING. hes not a big fan of the rookies or young guys so to speak. Lee, Ariza, Butler, Robinson, Frye, even Craw and James are all gonna need to be taught the NBA game. and with the roster MORE than fill we all know who will be on the IL all year...ROOKIES

but if anyone can coach this team and turn it around i think it will be Larry Brown. Lets see what happens and hope for the best. Expect a few more roster moves to come up rather quickly. If we get him ill be happy and if we dont i will be aswell (i was kinda looking forward to the run and gun type of game)...

JJtheKnick

Starter
i hear larry will take a season off becasue of his health and herb will be the knicks coach by the end of the week. which mean if larry were to coach the knick next season what happens to herb

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
CNN SI reports this....looks like Larry won't be in the Garden...

Larry Brown and the Detroit Pistons have decided to part ways, SI.com learned Monday. The announcement will become official in the next 24 hours as the two sides haggle over the final terms, but it appears that the terms of Brown's buyout will prevent him from coaching another team for the next year.

If he is desperate to coach the Knicks, then they would have to negotiate terms of compensation with the Pistons. But if he were to move to the Knicks within the next year, I'm told that Brown would also relieve the Pistons of their remaining financial obligations to him. The exact terms of the buyout aren't known, although Brown had three years and $21 million remaining on his contract.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
no waay.. it would be to nice for us to have him as a head-coach! :D
Oh please!! let it happen!!

btw, NYKnicks15.. welcome back 8)

Does anyone else smell conspiracy?
I mean, Isiah has held off on naming Herb the head coach, waiting on the Larry Brown situation. He must have known something we (fans, media) didn't. Funny how he did meet with Laimbeer, someone closely connected with the Pistons (former player, head coach of the Pistons' WNBA counterpart).
I'm sure Isiah has some allies in the Pistons organization that knew something about the situation...Joe Dumars?
This is all very interesting.
Funny how Isiah didn't bother interviewing Flip Saunders, or Nate McMillan...did he interview P.J. Carlesimo?
The only confirmed interviews I know were Phil Jackson and Laimbeer.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
yea but isiah had a falling out with pistons administration, which is why he went to indy and now nyc. i think detroit wont let him coach this year but next year we can sign him.

portega1968

El Cacique
I doubt Larry will coach this year. Herb will be named head coach, kinda last chance to prove himself. If he fails this year, Larry will be waiting, probably sooner than later.Knicks should let this play out so they don't have to compensate Detroit with a pick.

Jazzyknicks33

Benchwarmer
I agree. I think Herb will coach this year and Larry next year. The team will be 1 year older, and more prepared to play at LBro's level. Who know's who they'll have at that point. At this point, it sounds like anyone from marion to lebron is possible (Marion more so than james). I like the names I'm hearing now more than Travis Knight, Glen Rice, Shandon Anderson, and other overpayed, overaged, under-achieving players that were brought to the knicks during the Scott Layden era.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
portega1968 said:
I doubt Larry will coach this year. Herb will be named head coach, kinda last chance to prove himself. If he fails this year, Larry will be waiting, probably sooner than later.Knicks should let this play out so they don't have to compensate Detroit with a pick.

i actually think this would be our best option.. we give Larry the time with his famikly, and the rest he needs, and if Herb does well we dont have to go after him..if herb doesnt do well, then Larry will be rested and then we can get Isiah to write him a check

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
this also give other teams a chance to get brown as well......

i say if brown is healthy enough let him coach......if not wait till the break if were doing bad then hire him

1s1ah

Rookie
If Larry isn't heathy enough to coach the Pistons, well then the only other team I'd want to see him make a winner when he's able to come back is the Knicks.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i highly doubt hed go anywhere else if hes coaching. as he said b4 nyk is his dream job. the only other job he had lined up was the cleveland GM but its now occuppied so i think IF hes healthy enough to coach we got him.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Larry Brown is going to coach the knicks this upcoming season.
He has made it very clear to Detroit that he wants to come back to coach them next season, but Detroit Mgt. do not want him back.
This means that health wise - he is fine, willing and able.
It also means that by saying that he wants to coach Detroit again implies that the only way Detroit can get rid of him is to fire him, which is what he wants. He will not agree to a buyout because it will prevent him from coaching another team for a season.
He is a great coach but also a very shrewd businessman.

Brown's agent told the NYpost that Detroit has fired him which means that brown can take up any job he wants aka the knicks.
So expect to see him on the sidelines this 05/06 season.
As for Herb, his contract states that when his head coaching term ends in August, he will return to the sidelines as an assistant coach if he is not made the knicks full-time coach.
This is good because, if Larry does miss a few games because of his health, Herb can pick up the slack in the interim.

1s1ah

Rookie
Trin_Starr said:
Larry Brown is going to coach the knicks this upcoming season.
He has made it very clear to Detroit that he wants to come back to coach them next season, but Detroit Mgt. do not want him back.
This means that health wise - he is fine, willing and able.
It also means that by saying that he wants to coach Detroit again implies that the only way Detroit can get rid of him is to fire him, which is what he wants. He will not agree to a buyout because it will prevent him from coaching another team for a season.
He is a great coach but also a very shrewd businessman.

Brown's agent told the NYpost that Detroit has fired him which means that brown can take up any job he wants aka the knicks.
So expect to see him on the sidelines this 05/06 season.
As for Herb, his contract states that when his head coaching term ends in August, he will return to the sidelines as an assistant coach if he is not made the knicks full-time coach.
This is good because, if Larry does miss a few games because of his health, Herb can pick up the slack in the interim.

I've heard that the Pistons want a provision that states Larry will not be able to coach in 05-06 because he was not healthy enough to commit to 82 games for the Pistons this season.

Having Herb in place will be a valuable tool for the Knicks. The Pistons wanted to hire a viable lead assistant for Brown because had we agreed to terms with him they were thinking he's probably gonna miss 15-25 games due to health, and Gar Heard just didn't get the job down this past season when LB went down.