Why can't Jackie Butler get any mention as a legit prospect?

Butler info when signed: Butler, 6-10, 250-pounds, had appeared in 40 games for the Great Lakes Storm of the Continental Basketball Association and was averaging 18.1 points (10th in CBA), 10.7 rebounds (third) and 1.45 blocks (third) this season. The McComb, MS-native was an undrafted early entry candidate for the 2004 NBA Draft after a high school basketball career that ended at Coastal Christian Academy in Virginia Beach, VA.

Pre-draft Info:

NBA Comparison: Antonio Davis

Strength: A real physical specimen at the tender age of 19. Has slimed down and built muscle. His strength allows him to put himself wherever he wants in the post.. Has great hands downlow and anything that goes his way he gets ahold of. His post game is developing, if he can improve in this area, he's got a chance to be a 12 year NBA player. Very athletic and gets down the court pretty well for a big man when he wants to. Looks like a young Elton Brand the way he hits the offensive boards and finds position for rebounds. His huge wingspan (7 foot) makes him a bigger player than he is.

Weaknesses: Post game is still very raw and needs work. In high school he could use his strength to get whenever he needed to (that won't be the case in the NBA). Footwork also needs improvement.... Could have done himself some good by going to college however he should still be drafted. At times he's very inconsistent and lazy on defense, especially in transition. Needs to work harder and get into better shape.

Note: He is 19 years old, he attended a prep school for 1 year.

-Rob Salvador (Draftcamp warrior) 6/16/04

Butler is a physical monster standing 6-9, 255 pounds but he doesn’t use it to his advantage. He is extremely slow and doesn’t pick up his feet when going back in transition. He is inconsistent on defense as well. Memo to Jackie: Plant yourself on the block, hit the weights, and get some elevation. If he does that, then we will be talking about a force. To Butler’s credit, he does show flashes of brilliance. He knows he’s bigger than everyone at the high school level. But the SEC is a different story. When he attends Mississippi State, he’ll have an opportunity to play on a good team with promising players and in a conference that produces good power forwards. The future is ultimately in Butler’s hands. -Justin Young

I watched him in three summer league games and I do not think this is a random scrub. He definitely seems to be a better prospect than Sundov. Must work on defense but seems to have a nice touch and is very physical under the boards. Let him spend a year in the NBDL and we may be on to something (note his CBA numbers). Let's not forget, he's only 20. Back to my original question, is he worthy of being considered a nice prospect?

portega1968

El Cacique
if given a couple of years to develop, he should be able to contribute, so I'd really like to see the Knicks hold on to him instead of Sundov.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
well i cant say much since u said everything...but i like butler. i can see him developing his post game and getting faster. it would be nice if he got a jumper

Sweeets50

Rookie
JB will be a contributor to us n the future...if we're smart enough to hold on to him...he comes cheap, which is very attractive considering our current salary cap condition...hes got good hands, great size (clog up the paint), and dont take s@%#...i really like him perhaps we can let him develop/dominate ;) in the nbdl, and when we trade some of the glut he can b brought up

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea thats exactly it no one has seen enough of this kid (in the pros) to know what he is exactly. How he plays or his ability. Hell I dont even think the Knicks know that answer.

He's an athletic, young player who i think is actually 6'9 even tho listed at 6'10 but still good size at 250 and moves pretty well. Good CHEAP assett to keep around but i sadly think hell be on the IL most of this season unless we make complete some WAIVES or 2 for 1 or one for draft pick trades...

Ted

Benchwarmer
He's a prospect, but he has a long way to go:
"Butler is a physical monster standing 6-9, 255 pounds but he doesn’t use it to his advantage. He is extremely slow and doesn’t pick up his feet when going back in transition. He is inconsistent on defense as well. Memo to Jackie: Plant yourself on the block, hit the weights, and get some elevation."
We don't really need another 6-9 PF with no explosiveness. If he can't work hard enough to make the team over Bruno I'm not going to worry about losing him.

Ted

Benchwarmer
JJtheKnick said:
if he was then why didnt any other team pick him up

The Wolves did pick him up before letting him go, but why did no other team pick up Ben Wallace? Or Brad Miller? Or David Wesley? Or Udonis Haslem? or Marquis Daniels? Or any other undrafted free agent?

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
aparently his agent is unliked by other NBA agents/officials, and they felt he rushed jackie to go into the NBA, so his agent basically gave him a bad rep