Which 3 players do we cut?

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
I posted this in another thread, but i would really want to see some feedback on it, so....

If the season started today we would need to drop 3 of our current 18 players, or more to fit in guys from summer league/ other free agents... which 3 players would you drop? roster can be found at

http://www.knicksonline.com/roster.php

NYKnicks15

Starter
i dont think we WOULD have to cut this many due to sign and trades or trades flat out that will be coming up...(which they will be more than a 2 person deal)..NOR do i believe we have 18 players on our roster! Bruno Sundov and Jermaine Jackson are Free Agents that WONT be resigned. and even if you did cut it down to 15 NO the roster would still be booked...

BUT to answer the question heres the three..ill cut it down from 16 to 13.

Allan Houston-- I respect what he has done for us and I still believe he is one of the purest shooters in the game BUT thats when he can walk. and im sure your going to say well miss him when he gets healthy and signs with Detroit. and the answer is a still NO i wont for me. hes not worth that money and we can cut A LOT out of it if we buy him out this offseason...for me it's H-2-NO!

Penny Hardaway-- I know hes an expiring contract etc etc. but i really dont think too many people are looking to get under the cap by taking a bite on this guy. but seeing i need to cut someone...HE GONE!

and last this ones tough...i was thinking Jackie Butler because well why not? and I like Maliks defensive pressure (he also has three years left on his contract so itd be hard)...Mo Taylor has 2 years but thats the kind of expiring contract we could use. my pick would either have to be Jackie Butler or Malik Rose :?

anyone agree...?

NYKnicks15

Starter
cmon guys read what i wrote and use common basketball knowledge PLEASE!!! u can only have a 15 many roster and Free Agents arent still on ur roster!!!

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
bruno is already a Fa

Houston

Penny

Mo Taylor (unless he can get back into shape he is useless) he can score but thats it

rady

Administrator
Staff member
crawford_fan1 said:
HARDAWAY

SWEETNEY

BRUNO

why would you cut sweetney, i'm surprised that so many of us here are so negative about him.

If i'd be able to cut 3 players out, i would give up on hardaway asap, houston and maybe rose

ny3nyk

Rotation player
hardaway- expiring contract, we dont really need him anymore now that we assembled our bench and acquired richardson

houston-large contract but i respect what he has done for ny over the years. i doubt he will be what he used to be with those knees of his, maybe he could sign with the pistons

taylor-id like to see him play more definsivly like rose, but we just didnt see him play like that this year

jackson and sundov will be free agents

portega1968

El Cacique
Can't cut Penny 'cause his expiring contract is trade bait in feb. (like timmy's) for teams looking to get under the cap next year. Along with our rookies and picks, these two contracts are the only assets we have left since we are capped out.

Now why the hell would someone suggest we cut sweets? He has a rookie deal and, barring a trade, is our starting PF. He's also the only Knick who has some appeal to other teams (because of his rookie deal and upside).

We should cut Jermaine and Sundov. The amnesty clause should be used to cut Rose and his 4 year deal instead of Allan. If Allan comes back and realizes he should shut it down, I'm pretty sure he will retire.

Don't give up on Butler, he's only 20 and can be developed into a serviceable player.

Mo shouldn't be cut, his post game will prove valuable to us.

NYKnicks15

Starter
FOR THE LAST TIME GUYS,
Bruno Sundov
Jermaine Jackson

ARE BOTH FREE AGENTS, THEY CANT BE CUT...
At the moment we have a 16 man roster
C Jerome James
C Jackie Butler
C Channing Frye
PF Mike Sweetney
PF David Lee
PF Jerome Williams
PF Mo Taylor
PF Malik Rose
SF Tim Thomas
SF Trevor Ariza
SG Quentin Richardson
SG Jamal Crawford
SG Allan Houston
SG Penny Hardaway
PG Stephon Marbury
PG Nate Robinson

lets go from there...

NYKnicks15 said:
FOR THE LAST TIME GUYS,
Bruno Sundov
Jermaine Jackson

ARE BOTH FREE AGENTS, THEY CANT BE CUT...
At the moment we have a 16 man roster
C Jerome James
C Jackie Butler
C Channing Frye
PF Mike Sweetney
PF David Lee
PF Jerome Williams
PF Mo Taylor
PF Malik Rose
SF Tim Thomas
SF Trevor Ariza
SG Quentin Richardson
SG Jamal Crawford
SG Allan Houston
SG Penny Hardaway
PG Stephon Marbury
PG Nate Robinson

lets go from there...

Thanx for clarifying. And let's not forget, we also have the NBDL. So let Butler and Lee play in the NBDL this year. I'd rather have the vets on the end of the bench. And who we cut is a no brainer: Alan friggin Houston and his 20 Million this year!

NYKnicks15

Starter
the nbdl is a league for people trying to make a name for themselves and be brought up to the pros. no one player has affiliation to a certain franchise. its not a farm league its more of a developmental league as it is dubbed the D-League.

i was writing about a story that broke a few months ago that said they WERE trying to make the D-League a farm team like system where you would send your players for rehab or assignment but to my knowledge an agreement has NOT been reached and the D-League stays at what it has always been.

so if we were to "send" Lee and Butler there, it would be via waive and im sure they could get a job somewhere else before having to resort to the D-League..

portega1968

El Cacique
Out of those 16 players, we should cut Malik Rose (using the amnesty clause in the new CBA), who's deal has 4 years remaining. If we don't cut Rose, we're stuck with him for four years. Allan only has two years left, although at a much higher rate. Money is not really an issue in this situation.

I don't like the idea of giving Allan $40 million to go and sign with another team if he comes back healthy. I'd rather keep him to give him a chance to prove he can comeback. I'm pretty sure that if he comes back and realizes it's over for him, he'll retire and let insurance take care of his money, thus allowing us to use the amnesty clause on another ugly deal (Rose).

With respect to NBA Development League (as it will now be known instead of the NBDL), the new CBA seeks to convert it into a farm system so teams can send their players there without risk of losing them to another team. Until the new CBA is finalized this week, we really are in the dark as to how this will work, but that is the intention.