Why is everyone hating on Marbury noww?

FLipfacTion4LyfE

Benchwarmer
Ill admit that he does have ball hogging qualities but if he can score wats wrong with that? Last season we had no inside game so all that was left was for the kurt thomas jump shot, Jamal Crawford 3-ball and the Starbury drive.. If Tim thomas and kurt were having an off night Stephon would take it in himself.. And fine his defense is non-existent but Larry Brown could fix that. I could assure you that the knicks would have done worse without him last season All im hearing from these boards are trade Marburyy, Marbury is garbage etc.. But Starbury will show and prove this seasonn so donn hate juss apreciate

NYKnicks15

Starter
because when your a crappy team like ours you blame the best player on the team (and like him or not HE IS JUST THAT)...and like i posted on the other thread in defensive of marbury...

im not a koolaid drinker of Stephon...but do i like him? OF COURSE
and your exactly right if he didnt shoot and score who the hell would???

Brick throwing Crawford?
Unreliable Tim Thomas?
Scrub Bruno Sundov?
Allan bench warmer?
Wouldnt pay him a Penny Hardaway?

get serious we HAD no options...key word being HAD. with the addition of a DECENT (tough, big unlike Nazr) and a better shooter and player in Q-Rich look for marbury to incorporate more...and if he doesnt THEN you can rag on him all you want. but until then realize. are roster last year sucked.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
Marburys ego is to big to wanna work with larry brown

his defense will not improve at all....if n e thing with his knees it will only get worse

marbury is now almost 2 old and he has reached his prime......marbury will do nothing but hurt the knicks....

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro:
I call it the Patrick Ewing syndrome. Every year the best player on the Knicks depending on how the team is doing gets slammed by Knickfans. I remember every year the Knicks would get eliminated from the playoffs, there would be a bunch of fans who said Ewing was the problem, and he had to go. Then after Ewing was gone, we had "shaky knees" Allan Houston as the scapegoat. Like Ewing, Houston was to blame for the team not succeding. Even when Houston was healthy and b4 he signed that big contract, you would hear how bad he sucked and how we needed to get rid of him. Now, it is Marbury's turn. When the Knicks suck, it is always the fault of the best player on the team not doing enough.
Reasons that people give for hating Marbury-
1)He's a ballhog, too selfish to play PG- Yet Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas, Allen Iverson, and Chauncey Billups all take more shots and have less assists than Stephon Marbury. Marbury shot 13 a game last season and averaged 8 assists. And he's not a PG?
2) He doesn't play defense- how many good defensive PG's are there in the league. The reason why Marbury looks bad on D is because unlike other guards his team did not have any shotblockers to back him up.
3) He's arrogant- that's at least 80% of the league. If you ask any top PG in the league who's the best, they'll all say the same thing. "I am"
4) He doesn't make players around him better- Most of Mohammed's points came off of his penetration, and Mohammed never averaged more than 5 points until he came to the Knicks. Stoudamire was rookie of the year, the next season he got hurt, and Marbury was traded. They said the same thing about Kidd until he finally got past the first round with the Nets. Now he is the Messiah of all PGs.

Sorry 4 the long post

NYKnicks15

Starter
100% correct and thank you for that it made me laugh because it is all true. I tend to ignore the marbury comments now because if we were winning 60+ games hed be a god. but since hes stuck on our horrible team hes bashed...oh well it comes with the territory i suppose...BUT GOOD JOB!

Jazzyknicks33

Benchwarmer
I got mad luv 4 starbury. He gets the fans into the game. If it wasn't for him last year, we would've possibly been 1 of the 3 worst teams in the Nba. I luv watching Marbury. There's no way you can call him a ball hog. He gave Jamal Crawford chances at the end of games to win just so he'd learn the game of basketball better. And, as mentioned before, he averaged over 8 assists per game. He does that every year. He definitly knows how to get others involved and I wouldn't wat to see him traded. Larry Brown is going to turn Marbury into a star. He's always been a borderlline star, but next year with the new players around him and LB coaching him, he will be a star. I only criticize him for 1 thing: his work ethic. With hard working youngn's like ariza and n8 R, Marbury might be pressured to work harder himself. Or it could provide motivation for him when he see's his teammates working hard in and after practices. I'm confident Marbury will prove his critics wrong next year if it's possible. It's always hard to impress the media in New York.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
zeke shouldnt care about the fans......they will come regardless

he should be more focused on putting up a winning season and possibly a playoff contending team

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
yes but as u said about houston.....he had bad knees and look where hes at now.......

the same will happen to marbury y not ship him now when he still has value and screw another team in the long run......

jayp

Benchwarmer
the only reason i see that keeps Steph from being the best point guard is that he lacks the ability to motivate and inspire teammates they way Nash and Kidd do.. talent-wise, he definitely is the best point guard, who else can score and dish with consistency? he's fast, strong and has above average hops.. If Larry(hopefully) can make Chauncey an MVP then i have no doubt he can do it with Steph(who wants Larry to be coach)

Starbury's stat's are unquestionable. I believe the only 2 players who have averaged 20 and 8 (or something like that) for their careers are Steph and Oscar Robertson. I am aslo a fan because he is from Brooklyn. My main concern about Starbury is that he is not the type of leader you want as your point guard. Why is it that every team he leaves seems to improve. Having watched Baron "Too Easy" Davis play for the WaRRIORS, I am most impressed with Baron's leadership. Coming off the court, he is either punmping someone up or chastising his team mate with his arm around his waist. Steph seems to glare at his team mates coming off the court. That, I am afraid, is the main reason why his teams just don't seem to win as much as his talent would suggest they should. I nwill not question his work ethic as he is always in shape and has improved his jumper throughout his career. The best case in point is his own quote from an interview I saw of him before last season where he stated "I will judge myself based on the team's wins this year." Unfortunately as a diehard Kinck fan, I agree with him and he is coming up short. Oh, and if anyone thinks the relationship between him and Brown will work is kidding themselves.

nyk33334

Benchwarmer
Everything went downhill when he claimed himself the greatest "POWER GUARD" in the league. As soon as i heard that I threw my cigarette pack at the flatscreen and yelled out "STFU". He jinxed it. He needs to develop as a team player. He's becoming a veteran. Steph has to mature.

GD 8

Rookie
thank you,finally.i think it's the first post i've ever read here that some people give credit to marbury and have the ability to recognize what a player he is and how important he is for the knicks in any aspect.with larry brown declaring that he has respect and love for stephon's game and personality i believe we will see a significantly improved team next year.again thank you lads for not hating marbs(i think i made a rhyme,didnt i??)

Jazzyknicks33

Benchwarmer
First of all, will someone please tell me what a power guard is? Second, when did marbury claim to be the best power guard? I remember him saying he was the best point guard. Things did go downhill after that but how much of that can u blame on marbury? On many occasions it appeared as if he was the only player trying to win. He didn't get much support from his team at all. Not until Tim thomas came on in the second half of the season. Kurt thomas put up 1o or 12 points every night. Crawford was very inconsistent. Marbury didn't have much to work with. With Larry Brown likely being the new coach and positive offseason moves, Marbury could become the best pointguard in the league. Steve nash can pass better but can he score and defend better then marbury? I don't think so. The top pg's are jason kidd, b-davis, and marbury. Take your pick out of those 3. Next year marbury will have a better chance of proving that statement to be true.

Trin_Starr

Starter
There is way too much hating on Marbury.

First off, people are screaming to trade marbury for a real PASS first PG.
Well let me see what happened when Marbury did play like a PASS first PG. - CAVs vs Knicks on ABC comes to mind.
Marbury dished out 12 assists and was 50% from the field, only taking 6 shots the whole game.
That's what everyone wants from him right - So I guess the knicks crushed the Cavs then - wrong - they got embarrassed on national television, losing the game 25pts.
Hmmm - if Marbury' played his normal game and dropped his 20+ pts a night, it would have definitely made the score look at lot more respectable.

It's not his choice that he wants to put up 21pts a night - He wants to win and in order to have a chance at winning, he is forced to score.
In that Cleveland game, the rest of the scrubs he played with only shot 39% from the field!!!
How can you not want to take over the scoring load when ur teammates can't even make a freaking basket!

Next season, brown will make starbury shine.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
the problem with Marbury is though he can score at will he has problems with his passing game. he can pass but since he likes to drive to the basket alot he often misses guys in their stride or at the key moments during plays to make the plays effective.

if brown can convince steph to pass first then shoot, he'll be good. we just need to surround him with a better front court.