If the Knicks want Brown, get rid of Marbury

Cakalusa

Benchwarmer
Only between the ears of Larry Brown does it make sense to demote oneself from head coach of the Eastern Conference champion Pistons to a spot with the rudderless Knicks. That is like trading a week on the QE2 for a three-hour tour on the S.S. Minnow.

Eventually, Brown will take over in New York. Given his knack for the quick fix, that could mean 45 wins next season, a playoff spot and a healthy dose of job security for Brown's boss-to-be, Isiah Thomas.

But 45 wins likely will mean the East's sixth or seventh seed and a first-round playoff exit. Brown won't be able to fix the fact that the Knicks simply are not elite material.

Unless they take a drastic step, one that looks simple--and even obvious--to veteran Knicks-watchers. If New York wants to succeed with Larry Brown, it will have to get rid of another hometown hero, Stephon Marbury.

Marbury isn't Brown's kind of point guard. He's a scorer. He doesn't shoot well. He holds the ball for ungodly lengths of time. He doesn't do defense. All of these things are true despite the fact that Marbury is coming off the best season of his career, one in which he averaged a career-low 2.8 turnovers and had career-best shooting percentages from the field (.462), foul line (.834) and 3-point line (.354).

They're true despite Brown's track record. In Detroit, Brown took another point guard who wasn't his type--Chauncey Billups--and changed him. He taught Billups to attack immediately on defense to get the ball out of the opposing point guard's hands. He taught Billups to eschew his own offense, and to give up popping 3-pointers on fast breaks. Billups averaged 5.2 assists under Brown after averaging 4.2 before Brown.

But Billups was a midlevel signee for the Pistons, a guy who had been a sixth man in Minnesota and a forgotten man in four other places. He was open to Brown's nagging (er, teaching). It's nearly impossible to imagine Marbury being that open to Brown's philosophy--it didn't happen at the Olympics in Athens, when Brown was coach and Marbury was his only point guard. Marbury struggled before getting hot late. Even when his shot was falling, he clearly was not playing the way Brown wanted, offensively or defensively.

Perhaps Marbury will be open to change--he made a token effort to share the ball more last season. But at his core, Marbury is accustomed to being the show, a big-time star who knows a lot about scoring but not so much about winning. He has a maximum-dollar contract, a tight relationship with Thomas and a high opinion of himself--remember that "I know I'm the best point guard in the NBA" comment? Does anyone really think Marbury suddenly will submit himself to Brown's "play the right way" doctrine?

Brown is 64. His health has been dodgy. He will do a great favor to Thomas by being crazy enough to coach the Knicks. Thomas should do Brown's health a favor first and trade Marbury, the one player on the roster who will drive Brown even crazier than he already seems.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
I agree somewhat, but Marbury does attack the basket a lot and likes to penetrate. I think Marbury will be open to teaching from Larry Brown.

45 wins would be great this year

ny3nyk

Rotation player
marbury is willing to learn from brown, which is a good thing considering what brown made of billups and iverson.

portega1968

El Cacique
Wouldn't surprise me to see this roster change significantly before season's end. Marbury won't have much time to prove himself before he's shipped out, whereas Jamal, Sweets, TT, Allan and Penny are most probably gone before the feb deadline. So Stephon better get get off that cloud and get with the program ASAP.

crawford_fan1

Benchwarmer
Why should we get rid of Marbury??

The next question is: Why would Isiah get rid of Marbury?

Marbury is our starting PG. The Knicks have 3 PG's, Marbury, Jackson, and Nate. Robinson can't start because he is not experience in the NBA. Jackson can't because he is not as good as Mabury.

If Isiah get rid of Marbury, then he should get somebody that's as Marbury or somebody better.

NYKnicks15

Starter
yes the thread is pointless now...but is it just me or does this sound familiar...

starting point guard
shoot first
pass second
incredible talent
passed around from team to team...??

is that Marbury im talking about Chauncey Billups? EXACTLY. Marbury & Brown will have a good relationship and Stephon will have a good year

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i wrote this before but steph is more of a "point guard" then ai and chauncey were when brown got em. ur telling me if he could change AI he cant change marbury? the reason marbury didnt listen to brown at the olympics was just that - its the olympics. its not a permanent coach and his contract or wat not doesnt depend on him listening to brown. now it does.

Jay23

Rookie
I think Marbury will do fine under Brown. He can get rid of his image as a looser, a difficult player to coach (???).
In the Olympics Marbury had some difficulties in the first two games (against Arroyo) but in the game against Spain he was superb: he scored 30 points and lead the team to a win.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Marbury will do whatever it takes to remain a Knick; He loves it here man, its his hometown....He has a big eagle but I think he will rather be happy by staying in NY then fighting with Brown and getting traded elsewhere.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
if hell do n e thing.....he should re work his contract and start making 8 mill less

hes contract is a big problem......

jayp

Benchwarmer
Marbury won't be traded.. he knows that this is the best place he can be and he won't be stupid enough to ruin the situation he's in right now.. if i'm playing for my hometown with a HOF coach, i would definitely make it work.. besides, Larry is the only high caliber coach he has had with the exception of Flip Saunders.. his ego maybe big but it ain't big enough to have an AI-Larry soap opera..

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think they will make a move in Feb to get a force in the low post. I don't think Marbury and Brown saw eye to eye at the olympics and I think he (marbury) is on a short leash. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him for the low post guy (whom ever that might be). I also do not see them getting rid of Crawford or QR. I think Brown will like having those weapons but he will try to tame them so that they are not hurling 40 3s in a game. The first half of this season will be Brown feeling out the current roster. Come the trade deadline in FEB, don't be surprised if the Knicks make some unforseen moves. I think Marbury has 'till then to convince Brown that he can play the 1 effectivly or he will be dealt, or at least try to be dealt. I don't think the knicks should make anymore moves for now, let brown evaluate these guys and see where this team needs to be patched up.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
isaih has to make a few moves regardless....he cant have a team of 16 people

and its all wasted talent that is basically on the bench

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro
Marbury will listen to Brown, he knows this is his last chance at redemption. This is his hometown, playing for the team he grew up rooting for, and playing for the best coach the Knicks could ever conceivably have. Plus, unlike the other coaches Marbury has played for, Brown has unquestioned authority and job security. If the relationship does not workout, Marbury will get all the blame( Brown has a ring to back him up) and he'll be sent packing again. But I think this will not be as hard as working with AI and Billups. At least Marbury shows up for practice, hasn't missed a game all last year and doesn't take as many shots as these sports journalists- who don't really watch NBA games, read box scores and pull stats out of their asses- claim he does. Like Brown said after the press conference, Marbury truly wants to be coached.