Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry and Ariza

Superstar

yea he has a long time to develop, and hopefully become a starter. we can definitely use his D and scoring off the bench, and maybe he can start if he impresses larry and if timmy sucks.

Larry will not trade Tim Thomas. The Knicks will allow him to play out his contract to get it and Penny's off the books.

Larry Brown will hopefully let Timmy and Penny rot on the bench, let the new kids get their shine. Forget the crippled hardaway, or the embarassing TT. I just hope LB gives Channing Frye some time, and does not do what he did to Darko. I think Channing Frye is an amazing talent, everyone is talking about Nate, but lets face it the Knicks already have an all star caliber PG. All we have upfront is a bench player from Seattle, Jerome Williams who has no offense game, and a very undersized, and not very athletic Sweetney. Frye has the most upside, and skills out of the group. He should get minutes!

Superstar

I agree, I think Larry can help Ariza a lot. Ariza played great defense last year and was a decent shot blocker, he wasn't the greatest but it wasn't like he was awful. Towards the middle to end of the season he started to develop a decent jumpshot, to go along with his quick explosiveness.

I think Larry will help him improve his defense along with his jumpshot.

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

Read somewhere that Trevor's offseason training included 600 jumpshots per day. If true, that says a lot of good about the kid's work ethic. He may well turn out to be a Pippen-caliber SF with Larry's guidance.

Still reading posts saying Frye should start or get minutes. Be real people, the kid's not ready and will need some time to develop his game, most of all his rebounding. Placing such a pressure on him (starter) would just kill his development, it would be totally irresponsible.

On the other hand, Nate and Lee are more ready than Frye, and will benefit the most from Larry's teachings. Lee's ability to be where the ball falls is simply amazing, he's a step quicker than anybody on the offensive boards, while Nate simply is a spark plug who inspires everyone. Larry will turn these traits into big assets.

I never started the thread saying that he'd be a starter... sure sometime in the future... Trevor will be a Knick for life... I would be suprised if he starts before the trade deadline in Feb (maybe one or two games)... Larry's smarter than that, and so is Isiah... don't want to under value TT before trading him...

Ariza will probably be in the rotation, as with Nate.. Both Ariza and Larry have UCLA history and from what the summer leagues show, i think Nate is automatically Steph's backup..

Does anybody know why do we have to wait till trade deadline to trade Tim and/or Penny? and why not trade them now?

Usually, players in their last contract year (like TT and Penny) are attractive for capped-out teams that in February seem lottery bound. These teams can obtain someone like TT or Penny while unloading a player they don't want anymore that has a longer deal but is appealing to a contender. Therefore, when TT comes off that other team's books, they may be able to compete for free agents in the following summer.

If TT has a good year, a playoff bound team may see his expiring contract as a short-term investment that may help them get over the hump and not compromise their future. That's the other possible scenario.

In Phoenix's case, if they max Joe Johnson, they may be forced to trade Marion because they are capped and need to clear space to sign Amare next summer. TT is a match because of his expiring deal and ability to play the same positions as Marion for the remainder of the season.

That value from TT will be known in Feb. (their prorated salaries are also less by then), whereas now no team will want to trade for (nor Penny) and pay the entire year of their huge salaries without seeing how the first part of the season goes.

thwax, I wasn't referring to your post when I said someone wanted to see Frye start.

Originally Posted by portega1968
    thwax, I wasn't referring to your post when I said someone wanted to see Frye start.
    No problem, on this forum there's bound to be someone who wants Bruno or Butler starting

Keep living the dream!

Originally Posted by dasilva1079
    Does anybody know why do we have to wait till trade deadline to trade Tim and/or Penny? and why not trade them now?
    i think its best so far to see how we are right now and to make any adjustments later when we actually test the "new" team out

Originally Posted by portega1968
    Read somewhere that Trevor's offseason training included 600 jumpshots per day. If true, that says a lot of good about the kid's work ethic. He may well turn out to be a Pippen-caliber SF with Larry's guidance.

Still reading posts saying Frye should start or get minutes. Be real people, the kid's not ready and will need some time to develop his game, most of all his rebounding. Placing such a pressure on him (starter) would just kill his development, it would be totally irresponsible.

On the other hand, Nate and Lee are more ready than Frye, and will benefit the most from Larry's teachings. Lee's ability to be where the ball falls is simply amazing, he's a step quicker than anybody on the offensive boards, while Nate simply is a spark plug who inspires everyone. Larry will turn these traits into big assets.
    Scottie Pippen? Ariza might be a poor man's Pippen but I highly doubt he's going to be a "Pippen-caliber SF". Pippen-caliber would be 20 points, 5 assists, 7/8 rebuonds All-NBA defense and locker room leadership and clutch play that resulted in 6 NBA Champioships.

Frye certainly has some weaknesses and probably won't be ready right away (few bigs are), but he might. This is a guy who improved his game big time every year at Zona. Now that he realizes what he has to work on I'm sure you'll see some improvement before camp. He also played under one of the greatest basketball coaches ever, which should help him when he plays under an even better one because he knows the game and will do things the right way, do what he's told, work hard, and play for the team not himself. He's also 6-11 and long on a team whose only other player over 6-9 (assuming Bruno doesn't make the cut) is fat and lazy and has never played more than what 17 mpg in 5 NBA seasons. One of his biggest advantages to win some time is that he can hit a jump shot in a similar manner to Doleac, who thrived with Marbury (and Frye can also do other things that Doleac never could). Frye does not look like he's ever going to be a star, but he should enjoy a long, solid career. No one would be asking or expecting him to be KG, just to go out and play his game, Larry has always gotten the most out of role players.
    I also think that he and Sweets could complement each other nicely: a long tall finesse player and a short stocky banger. They both have some questions to answer, but let's hope they answer them because potentially they can do so much more than our other front court players: I don't see Malik Rose or JYD suddenly improving at this stage in their careers. No one else can score on the block (softy mcsoft, Mo Taylor, can score inside and LB might be able to get the most out of him as a role player, but i hope it doesn't come to that) or rebound like Sweentey and no big man we have can knock down a J as consistantly as Frye and our only other shot blocker is JJ.

Superstar

yea he may be forced into minutes because of JJ's foul trouble

I don't know if it would be forced. Larry is not one for force feeding guys minutes and Sweets can play the 5 and Rose might be able to play there considering the total lack of dominate 5s in the league. If Frye earns a rotation spot I think that it's as a role player becuase he can run the pick and role with Marbury and is so coachable.