Finley to NY?

madskillz7312

Benchwarmer
can't say i do, but i must say, i don't like Finley, and I'm sure too on Larry Brown's attitude towards him, or how it would work out if there is none, but based on his game, i don't think he'd be too partial to him either (but than again I could be wrong or the fact I don't like him changes my thoughs, lol)....

portega1968

El Cacique
It would be so dumb to trade for Finley, or Antoine Walker for that matter. Isiah sees these Chicago boys favorably, but I trust Larry will stop him from such a mistake.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
to me gettin finley would be great to me.......first of all we will not be soft with a line up of stephon,Quentin, finley,frye and james.....finley a better rebounder than tim thomas, alan houston and crawford....i would really like the decision but this to happen crawford has to go....get a presence better than sweetney

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
This is why I didn't want Larry Brown to coach the knicks. He seemingly now wants to come in and change the dynamic of what could be a young spectacular group, to a group of older players with time running out on them. Ridiculous. If we get Finley, what happens to T-Risin (Ariza)? We would have to trade TT or Penny to bring in yet another guard. Why?? We should be getting all the young guys minutes. That why I feel Herb Williams or Nate McMillan would have been better. This is a young roster (finally) and they really need some interested in teaching them.

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro:
Finley is better than TT, but he's 32, and that would contradict the whole youth movement. I heard Brown was looking at Reggie Evans, he's short for a PF but he's physical and lead the league in rebounds per game. I've seen him play, he would make us tougher. I would not go crazy if Finley were on the squad though, but I would not trade anyone for him and take his huge contract. Hope LB leaves the kids alone.

thwax

Benchwarmer
How this trade works is that Finley (3 years left) would be traded for either Penny or TT at the start of the season... it would help the Mavericks in terms of cap relief and not having to lose him with no return with the new amnesty rule... LB and Isaih like Finley... Mavs also don't want Finley going to a Western Conference team

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i dont think wed sign him unless its after hes cut. he doesnt play much d and jacks shots...i doubt larry likes him. or twoine for that matter.

Nylex

Rookie
Finley's contract is huge! Dallas might be able to get someone better than Penny or TT for him, though.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
If we keep Penny and TT we stand to relieve ourselves of 30 million in bad contracts. that seems more worthwhile than taking back 52 Million in bad contract. By my math, that leaves 22 Million deeper in debt, plus we add another oft injured guard to the backcourt.

portega1968

El Cacique
Dr. Carpy, you hit the spot on why we shouldn't even consider trading for Finley. However, I don't think this is Brown's idea, probably not even Isiah's, just further speculation from ESPN Insider Chad Fraud..

Nevertheless, Knicks need a list of all players from Chicago and any player that has some connection to Isiah from his days with Bobby Knight, Detroit, Toronto or Indiana. Then, he should be required to let Larry Brown have the final say on these trades because Isiah views these favorably rather than objectively.

Finley's aging game is not worth losing an expiring deal and much less taking on two more years @ $15 million. I wouldn't even take him if he were waived unless Jamal is traded and Nate still gets his minutes. Same goes for Antoine Walker.

Trin_Starr

Starter
I would agree to a finley for H20 trade.

Mavs Benefit:
No team in their right mind is going to trade for his 3 yr $51mil contract and Dallas knows this. Come Aug 15th, they will have to cut him and continue to pay him while he signs as a FA for Phx and comes back to haunt them.
If the trade for H20, they will cut him and only have to pay $40mil over 2 seasons instead of $51 over 3.
Trading Finley to NY ensures that he is dealt to an Eastern conference team who is miles away from their division.

Knicks benefit:
The knicks are going to cut H20. $40 mil in luxury is not no pocket change.
So if they are gonna cut him, he stated that he would go to either Miami or NJ, and the knicks still pay him $40 mil over 2 years.
At least by getting Finley, he can still play. So the knicks end up paying $11mil extra over 3 years for a good replacement for H20 who can actually contribute, instead of being hurt all the time.
Also, we send H20 to the west, so if he does regain his old form, he will not come back to haunt us by winning with some eastern conference team.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Give the young guys minutes... Why?

Finley is the best move for the knicks yet. He plays a game the current knicks roster is unfamilure with... DEFENCE!!!!! I think Finley is a Larry Brown kind of player. And any one that thinks theese new kids need lots of minutes is sadly mistaken. Rookies are notorious for scewing up! The best players will always, always be the most experienced players. Getting young and athletic is great but every team needs a leader. Youths need direction. Finley can bring defence and leadership.

Also some one said something about Larry Brown shouldn't coach the knicks! Look I know every one is entitled to their oppinoin but that one is just stupid! I wont even take the time to explain why it's stupit. Just trust me on it!

hoop115

Benchwarmer
The Mavs are only looking at deals that will give them a viable option other than just merely cutting him and then allowing him to sign with any other team. They wouldn't just trade Finley for Houston b/c it wouldn't help their cap or tax at all. The RUMOR is Finley for an expiring contract.

If the Knicks participate in this trade that would be the stupidest move I have ever seen any team do. The whole point of cutting Houston is to get the $20MM tax break for the next two years. We would still be on the hook for his salary for this year and next year. Adding Finley via trade would put us in an even worse cap and tax situation for next year and the year after that.

We should just let the contracts of TT or Hardaway expire. Isn't the whole point to gain as much cap space as possible for the summer of '07 to make a serious run at LeBron who will be a Restricted FA that summer and has a kicker in his contract with Nike if he were to play in NY! The possibilities are endless but b/c this is NY there's always added pressure to make things happen. Who knows, KG may even be had if Minny can't right their ship into a true playoff team.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
even tough finley is probably past his prime and starting to get old, i think he will still be a good player for the remainder of his contract. hes without a doubt an upgrade over tim thomas, penny and ariza if he plays the 3, which he can.

isiah obviously has no plans to try to get under the cap, so what do i care if the knicks payroll becommes higher or we get another big contract?

i would easily do a finely for penny deal. i would seriously consider a finely for tiny tim deal. if dallas puts in another young player (doesnt have to be a top prospect) or a draft pick, i think id do it. ariza is not yet ready to be a full time starter. the kid is still very young.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Finely is a double edged sword! On the positive side, he does play D and he can take it to the rim. On the negative side, he's 32 and he has had knee problems. Again, on the + side, he will come to the east were he will play a slower game and has other guards to split time with, this will relieve some wear and tare on those aging knees. On the - side, he will have to bang with Miami, Detroit and now Clevland and that will initself be tough on his frame. He is, in my opinion, a better guard than any one we have currently. Maybe 3 years down the line he won't be, but today he is. I would Make the trade for him, salary cap isn't an issue for the Knicks, they can afford to paywhat ever they have to, but I would make them take back a contract like taylor. At the very least we can clean out a PF and some money. I don't think Dallas would take Houston or Malik Rose's contract. Even though they say the would cut him (which I don't really believe they would, he still can produce), I think they would take back a smaller contract and some cap relief. Then, if we did get MF, we could look to make a move to fill a barren position, the 3! Maybe we could look to trade crawford for someone like Al Harrington or see if Indiana would play ball for Artest. I see getting finely as a catalyst for other things. We NY fans don't need to worry about the cap, all of our teams can afford to pay.

portega1968

El Cacique
At Jerome James' press conference yesterday, Isiah flatly denied any trade for Finley, said it was false, that it isn't the direction the team is going.

Once again, another false rumor by ESPN. This discussion is worthless.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
portega1968 said:
At Jerome James' press conference yesterday, Isiah flatly denied any trade for Finley, said it was false, that it isn't the direction the team is going.

Once again, another false rumor by ESPN. This discussion is worthless.

I also heard Isiah say on WFAN, a few months back, that Marbury wasn't being shopped, but several anonymous GMs stated that he very much was in play. Keep in mind that Isiah is better served to keep his moves to himself and to his Coaches. When you play chess you don’t think out loud do you? So, after what Miami did, I think he is better off keeping his strategy to himself until he is ready to pull the trigger.

Also, MF is sooo much better than TT!!! They play different postions but as far as pure basketball talent goes, pound for pounr Finely is better than TT!