Larry Brown overrated

Rojasmas

Rookie
Larry Brown, George Karl, Jerry Sloan, Rick Adelman. Four good career coaches. All have won and won big. You might be surprised to know that LB has the worst career winning percentage of the group. LB is at .571, Karl is at .593, Sloan is at .604 and Adelman is at .615. So why is LB the only one in this group who gets mentioned in the same breath as Riley and Phil Jackson? He does have the one championship but overall I just don't see him as being among the superelite coaches. He is good, not great. I won't even mention Popovich because his career numbers while so much better (and championships) remain to stand the test of time. Oh yeah, LB's career playoff record is respectable but hardly overwhelming at 100-89 for .529.

e_D

Benchwarmer
Keep in mind Larry did not always walk into a winning situation. "Turn Around King" right? Meaning he takes bad teams and makes them better. That takes some serious coaching talent. Adelman and Sloan were in good personel situations with their organizations, which is why they get the nice percentages. I'll give it up to Karl though, this guy is a good coach but severely underrated.

Anyway, I say don't call Brown overrated until he flukes on our squad. Which I doubt will happen. Watch 33 wins go up to 44, then 52, then maybe even.. a championship?

Rojasmas

Rookie
The other thing is Larry Brown lost last year's Olympics with a team he helped pick. His team lost to Puerto Rico and Argentina and I think one other I can't think of now. That is weak. Chuck Daly wouldn't have lost with the same team Brown had. I don't care if these guys just met each other the night before, they had the superior talent and should have rolled over those teams.

nyk33334

Benchwarmer
It would be difficult to play for a different team where everyone is an allstar, like the olympics team. No one will have as much "superstar" time as the usually get w/ a regualer NBA team. hence, increased diffculty. Ego's will clash. For example, Brown-Steph. Brown runs everything thru his PG. They wound up disagreeing on many plays. Brown maybe overrated, but cut him someslack. After all, He IS Larry Brown.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
a coach's winning percentage or how many championships he has won has nothing to do with how good a coach he is. being a good coach is all about getting the most out of your players and making your team perform better than everyone thought it could. how many people expected detroit to beat the lakers and win the championship two years ago or make it back this past year?

if youve got mj and scott or kobe and shaq during their prime on your team, you will have a high winning percentage and probabably win a lot of championships, no matter what kind of coach u are. and if u coach the atlanta hawks, then even if u are the worlds greatest coach, u might still have a bad winning percentage.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Rojasmas said:
The other thing is Larry Brown lost last year's Olympics with a team he helped pick. His team lost to Puerto Rico and Argentina and I think one other I can't think of now. That is weak. Chuck Daly wouldn't have lost with the same team Brown had. I don't care if these guys just met each other the night before, they had the superior talent and should have rolled over those teams.

In order for Brown's system to work, the players must buy into his gameplan, something that takes more than 3 weeks to accomplish.
USA might have had superior talent but that's not going to cut it in the international game anymore. Other countries have been playing as a team for years and their chemistry is very high.

johnknicksman

Benchwarmer
hell naw if we send iverson,t mac,vince,kg,shaq and have kobe,marbury,lebron,baron davis,duncan,and amare stoudamire we would win even without a coach

Rojasmas

Rookie
Exactly, there comes a point when the best players should win and if they don't someone (the coach) must be accountable. Puerto Rico's best player is the guy Detroit plays about 5 minutes a game, his name escapes me. This guy lit up Iverson and Marbury in the Olympics. Brown liked him so much and had no answer for him so much that he traded with Utah for him.

madskillz7312

Benchwarmer
Keep in mind Larry did not always walk into a winning situation. "Turn Around King" right? Meaning he takes bad teams and makes them better. That takes some serious coaching talent. Adelman and Sloan were in good personel situations with their organizations, which is why they get the nice percentages. I'll give it up to Karl though, this guy is a good coach but severely underrated.

Anyway, I say don't call Brown overrated until he flukes on our squad. Which I doubt will happen. Watch 33 wins go up to 44, then 52, then maybe even.. a championship?

Very well said, Agreed, You can't base completley how good a coach is by thier win perentage, I can't think of one off hand now, but i'm sure there's a coach or 2 thats under rated by thier win percentage

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Rojasmas said:

The only thing that the Olympic team proves is that you can't take a huge amount of talent, all with players that demand the ball, and expect to win. You need to have a combination of players to win.

portega1968

El Cacique
Rojasmas said:
Exactly, there comes a point when the best players should win and if they don't someone (the coach) must be accountable. Puerto Rico's best player is the guy Detroit plays about 5 minutes a game, his name escapes me. This guy lit up Iverson and Marbury in the Olympics. Brown liked him so much and had no answer for him so much that he traded with Utah for him.

That guy from Puerto Rico that Larry Brown traded for is Carlos Arroyo. He was totally in charge of Puerto Rico's playmaking a la Steve Nash. But that isn't happening anytime soon for him in the NBA (he lacks good defense and will never best someone like Billups, although he should get minutes ahead of Lindsey Hunter but won't because of seniority). His game is very much like Tony Parker's. Wouldn't surpirse me to see Larry trade for him.

For those that may not know, Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory with Olympic autonomy. I was born in NYC 1968 and lived there till 1981, when my family moved back to Puerto Rico. Watching PR vs USA in international competition? Talk about mixed feelings!!! But I've been a Knick since I can remember, way back when i was schooled at PS 108 and IS 302 in East New York and when I lived on Knickerbocker Ave. and then Sheperd St. between Atlantic Ave. and Fulton St.

In my opinion Larry Brown is totally not overrated. He will bring back the D and make us contenders again. He will make Stephon a winner and all of us can finally let go of this pain and suffering that has plagued this team for three decades.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Larry Brown has won a championship at every level of competition: NCAA, ABA and NBA. No other coach has been able to or will be able to duplicate that type of success.

All the championships that Riley & Jackson have enjoyed are benefits from stepping into a winning situation. LB has never shied away from a challenge has usually turned a team around w/in the 2nd season of his coaching tenure.

NY is always looking for instant gratification. That's part of the reason why we're in our current salary cap situation. The team execs were always succombing to the pressures of the Win-Now mentaility of this team and it's fan base. Never looking to develop talent through the draft or allow our team to go into a rebuilding period until Isiah came into town. I would not be surprised if we didn't make it into the playoffs this year b/c of the increasing competitiveness of the Eastern Conference, but I won't be dissappointed either.

I believe in Isiah and I believe in Larry Brown. I believe that if these two individuals don't break like those before them, then the Knicks will be in great shape 2-3 years from now.

It wasn't too long ago that we had a hall-of-fame type coach. He brought our New York Knicks to the brink of a championship and raised the level of expectations for years to come. When it was time for us to reward him for his accomplishments, Knicks "Brass" decided not to grant him the money or the trust to make executive decisions, that he was asking for. Instead, he has built what looks like a perenial championship contending team in one of our fiercest conference rivals, Miami.

Now we have two hall of famers running the show. These two guys probably have more basketball knowledge and experience than Knicks fans can fully appreciate. I think we should trust these guys to right the ship that has gone wrong for too long.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
the fiasco in the olympics shows us that its better to have a team with good chemistry rather than talented guys who want the ball and there arent enough shots to go around. crawford and qrich are chemistry killers, whether or not they mean to be. when they spot up and chuck a 3 point shot, they ruin the chemistry.

im hoping that i will see a lot of marbury penetration into the hole and either crawfor, qrich or tim thomas receiving a pass and being open (when a guy goes to double and help on marbury), and THEN taking an open 3 point shot. i DONT want to see crawford just have the ball in his hands, do a little shake and bake, with a defender on him, and take a low percentage 3 point shot. i want him to take OPEN shots that result from other guys getting double teamed or whatnot.

crawford_fan1

Benchwarmer
I think Larry Brown is going to make a change for the Knicks.
____________________________________________________________________________________

REPRESENT BROOKLYN ALL DAY EVERY DAY

BROWNVILLE & BED-STUY
WHERE U AT?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
The one thing you didn't account for is the fact that your only considering the numbers. Stats only show a part of the picture. Not the big picture. Larry is the best thing the Knicks could ever hope for. All of the other coaches mentioned above walked into winning situations or strong prospective teams. In other words they had something real to work with, championchip contenders. Larry had that only once in his carrier and that was in Detroit. And I'll even say this, I don't think any of the other coaches mentions, not even Pat Riley would walk into the same situaiton that Larry Brown is walking into. A centerless team! Pat had Ewing to build his team around and Brown has only Marbury and the newly aquired James who has yet to show and prove his true skill. Larry Brown has improved every team he's been on. Over rated, I think not!