our situation with the small foward

ny3nyk

Rotation player
i think the 3 is the position our team is most weak at. we have guards who could play the 1 and 2, too many 4s, and 2 decent centers. who to start, ariza or thomas? some people (including me) seem to think that thomas will have a break out season since he is on his last year and is from the area (patterson, new jersey to be exact). i think all he has gotten through his "depression" ever since 2 of his family members died, so im pretty sure he'll come into the season fresh. the smart thing to do is to see how he plays and trade him before the deadline if he does not meet expectations. some small fowards that are logical are wally szcerbiak, al harrington, and ira newble. if we could get rid of thomas for one or 2 of these guys it would be great. any thoughts?

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
thomas is better then all of those guys

thomas is a great offensive player......his ppg dont show up becuase he doesnt get the minutes a starter should get....

hes shooting over like .430% from teh field in his career.....

and like .360 sum from 3...

he can post up, score with his back facing the basket or just facing the basket....

he is very strong, he can dunk, can shoot the midranger, or pop a 3....he is a good scored just doesnt get the minutes

he plays like 25 mins a game.....witch is basically only have the game.....

if u think about it he had 12 pnts a game with 4 rebounds.....

if givin 5-10 more minutes he could easically have

18 pnts a game, with 6-7 rebounds a game.....

but u look at everything besides the amount of playing time he gets....he isnt the greatest defenders...but a great defender is hard to find no adays.......

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I agree 100%. I'd rather see Szczerbiak play small forward but defence may be an issue. There's no question that Szczerbiak is the best shooter out of all of the guys you mentioned. As far as I'm concerned, Thomas has not been productive enough on the court. I don't see him as a guy that can make things happen if Marbury or Crawford are having a bad night. Last season Tiny Timmy averaged 12 PPG 3.30 rebounds. A mediocre performance at best. No way is this guy a third option.
Now look at Szczerbiak's stats. 15.5 PPG 3.70 Rebounds. That's how Szczerbiak ended the season and at times he didn't even start.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
yea i like tim too, but im saying we need to pursue a defensive minded small foward with offensive skills if we happen to let go of thomas

donchris

Thomas is dead weight. It's got little to do with his playing time. More playing time equals more missed shots and turnovers.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
more missed shots??? he has a great fg % more minutes=more made shots.....stopping trying to go against everything i say....cuz everytime u do u look like a moron

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
yea gerald wallace is a really good defender and can score some (gerald wallace from teh bobcats right?) but i like Ariza better .....

ny3nyk

Rotation player
yep thats him. hes still young and he knows what it takes to win since he was with the kings for a while, but i think the bobcats will keep him.

donchris

KnicksFan20 don't take what I say personal, it's not that serious. I don't think Thomas is all that great of a player. That's my opinion and I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings. Come on dog! We're all Knicks fans. Your making this forum look like a bad episode of Melrose Place or something. Stop whinning! Who are you, John Starks?

johnknicksman

Benchwarmer
the knicks have a excellent sf in tim thomas we should definitly start him tim thomas is going to have a great season this season now he's playing for money he'll get serious now and wats not good about him he's a big sf who can post up on even pf's and he's very athletic for being 6-10 and he can shoot and take it to the rim tell me wats not good about him his stats r low because he does not play much and if u judge players by stats i know u dont watch basketball wat do u do go to nba.com and look up player stats come on get real watch tim thomas play u will think about calling him dead weight twice

that made me so mad i posted it twice

NYKnicks15

Starter
that made me so mad i deleted it twice..

guys were keeping tim thomas and we should. let his contract run out and RESIGN him for cheap!!! WallyWorld?!?! why does everyone like this NATURAL shooting guard? we dont need him and if we did we should trade a Crawford for him. Big contract I dont want! Plus hes a injury prone loser.

guys dont be so hard on Thomas. Hes not a big of a scrub as everyone thinks and everyone will see this season. I predict a breakout season for Tim under Brown. He has the ability and so much untapped potential its ridiculous. I know thats why everyone dislikes him, because hes what the prototypical nba player should look like and play like but he doesnt live up to it. I have a feeling Tim Thomas will be Larry Browns favorite player this season right in front of Trevor Ariza and Jerome Williams...

portega1968

El Cacique
IMO, we don't have a problem at SF. Timmy, Ariza, Lee, QRich, Jerome Williams, they all can play that spot. What we do need is a better PF or Center.

S-Nutta

Rookie
Oh wow!! Tim Thomas is a better shooter than Wally? Yeah freakin right!! Tim Thomas is more well rounded offensively but not a better shooter. But I hate Wally so I actually agree with you. Wally is garbage, doesn't play defense, is injury prone, and a straight up girl. I say we keep Tiny, he's in his last year and NBA players, being so damn greedy will play his heart out. Especially under LB. Tim Thomas does have a lot of untapped potential, he very well could be a 20 a night type of scorer, but he simply does not put together that type of effort night in and night out. Nutta Out

:afro:

..sf is the biggest problem for the Knicks; if you watch N.B.A. ball you know that is the most important position...we should've drafted that position by getting Granger or Green but Isiah is a *****!
..My thought last year was bring back Spreewell in his last contract year, for so many reasons it makes sense but he is too old now...Tim Thomas is too soft period, kenyon martin is the ideal guy for us ironically...thats my opinion.

donchris

Ok let's recap. Thomas is good, Ariza's good, Jerome James is good, Nate is "the great", so who needs to be traded. Are you guys aware that the Knicks are rebuilding? How can you rebuild if you don't make trades? So far We've only acquired two new players. That's a start but it's not enough. In fact most of you were against the one good trade we made. When a team is one of the worst teams in the league, of course they don't make it to the playoffs, so they "REBUILD". You can't rebuild if you keep the same sh!t team! Every trade suggestion gets the same reply "Nope he's good!" Nope, he's good too!" Even Larry Brown said "This roster is a working progress". Translation, mucho trades will be made. I said it before, don't fall in love with this roster. Before I said package Jerome James in a trade for one of our weak spots and someone actually said keep him he's good. "So basically we should keep our current losing team." Is that it.
Stop for a minute and take a good look at the east. Miami! We know what there roster looks like. Shaq, Wade, and now newly acquired Jason Williams at point and can't forget Walker. Then there's Jersey and Detroit. All of these teams are making progress and they were good teams last year. How can we compete. The answer is we can't! At lease not with this current roster. I've always been a Knicks fan, as long as I can remember but I have no attachment to any of these players. I want to win. I want to see NY finally get the ring. Now we're not even making the damn play offs and if we did we would have been out of there in the first round. That's no way for NY to go out. #$%k that! Our GM, our coach all say it's time to get dirty and it wont be pretty.
:flippa:

the Knicks best Sf is Q-rich, even though he's short he has the most weapons...Ariza will be a nice back up at that spot and will see time cuz he a little bigger, especially if he can get to the free throw line...my question is how does nate marbury crawford thing work? theres not enough minutes for those 3 guys at basically 1 and 1/2 postions, someone has to go and I think it will be Crawford... the other jam is at Pf as everyone knows...Jerome James is a backup center so theres another hole
:calm:

you're right Donchris...a lot of changes will be made and need to be made, my opinion is keep guys like Nate, Ariza, Q-rich, 'JYD' and maybe Frye for a year at least...

NYKnicks15

Starter
OK, lets recap...you dont understand basketball. You cant just say trade trade trade...look at our roster! the guys we would like to trade other ppl want no part of. we cant just come up with some trade that makes sense salary wise and say "OH COMPLETE THIS TRADE"...like ive said before this ISNT NBA Live 2004......you say package James to fix a hole in our roster..."We surveyed 100 real knowledgable Basketball fans, top 3 answers on the board, What is the NYKnicks most unsolid position" "beep beep beep" "Center?" "ding ding ding" THE CENTER POSITION IS OUR HOLE!!!

and you cant really call our team a losing team. yes i have looked at the roster. yes i know what happened last year. but Jerome James, David Lee, Channing Frye, Quentin Richardson & Nate Robinson were NOT on that team. So a team with 5 new players is the same as the one prior? NOT necessarily.

as "masonics" said, CALM! we dont know how THIS team will play. we dont know how THIS team will be coached. You have to sit and be patient. you want NY to get the ring, you want NY to not leave the playoffs in the first round JOIN THE CLUB!!! and be patient! REBUILDING isnt a one offseason process. in 07/08 well be great.

are team will have a lot of changes coming soon, Houston will retire. Penny will be shipped or just let go. Taylor and JYD will be traded at the deadline or next season. Malik Rose will also be traded or maybe even waived...i dont see any improvements New Jersey has made? What Jeff McInnis & Marc Jackson?! SCORE! haha and Detroit? arent they just the same team as last year...??? MINUS LARRY BROWN!?

BUT for this season and most likely next...our core looks like this
Jerome James/Channing Frye/Mike Sweetney/David Lee/Trevor Ariza/Quentin Richardson/Jamal Crawford/Stephon Marbury/Nate Robinson...i think at this point everyone else is expandable...

so for now, just sit back and realize this isnt a ONE YEAR PROCESS

P.S i think you believe the word GOOD means GREAT. and when we say GOOD. we mean "decent or slightly above average" or "wouldnt be on the Hawks roster".