Houston's pain returns

rady

Administrator
Staff member
and he will probably put an end to his career soon. I am terrible sorry, i thought he will have a great comeback but unfortunatelly, his knee gave up on monday's practice and apparently he will rest for a week

:(

Articles:

The optimism bred of Allan Houston's recent progress from a knee injury and the Knicks' decision not to waive him over the summer has all been cast into doubt again.

Houston, the last remaining player from the successful Knicks of the late 1990s, stopped practicing Monday because of pain in his left knee, and will be shut down until next week.

The hope is that the intensity of training camp, following months of inactivity, caused the pain to resurface. But for the first time, Houston's comments were tinged with doubt and a little fatalism over this latest setback, which he acknowledged made him wonder whether he might not be able to play anymore.

Star Ledger
New York Post
Newsday

NYKnicks15

Starter
nail in the coffin for you hopeless Houston faithfuls! and thank God it came this early...it gives us the chance to clear a spot on the bench and give someone useful a chance..

Jerome James/Eddy Curry/Channing Frye
Maurice Taylor/Malik Rose/David Lee
Trevor Ariza/Quentin Richardson
Jamal Crawford/Penny Hardaway
Stephon Marbury/Nate Robinson

IR- Jackie Butler
Allan Houston
Antonio Davis

expect Davis to be waived to make room for Matt Barnes. Matt is another SF and this could mean more Q-Rich at the SG

Trin_Starr

Starter
Yup.
Sad to say, but I think this time Allan knows it for sure now.
So he retires, the knicks save madd money on him and JYD.

Next:
Spree gives a public apology to Dolan, saying his emotions got the best of him, he was really hurt being traded and the only way he knew how to deal with the pain, was to lash out.
Then Isiah signs him to the vet's min and he'll be a great replacement for H20.

nyk33334

Benchwarmer
rady said:
The hope is that the intensity of training camp, following months of inactivity, caused the pain to resurface......But for the first time, Houston's comments were tinged with doubt and a little fatalism over this latest setback, which he acknowledged made him wonder whether he might not be able to play anymore."

following months of inactivity? I thought Allan was working out nonstop. Everytime this guy spoke to the press over the summer he'd always mention how hard he's werking at rehabbing his knee. Hopefully it isn't too serious and hopefully Allan can recover and prove dat he's tough enough to continue playing. I love how Coach Brown is pushing the knicks to their limits. Pulled hammstrings are a good sign that brown is really working them out. But wait, who's injured so far? Frye, Q, JJ, Houston, Steph?

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Working out and doing basketball drills are completely different. I don't think he was cleared to do ALL basketball related activities. He was supposed to be only participating in non-contact scrimmages. Even with the limited time he was playing in the non-contact drills, he still managed to experience pain. What more when the regular season begins and puts the daily grind on those achy knees? He should just retire already.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Houston is done! His relationship with upper management will start to run thin soon. He needs to just retire and concentrate on his entrepreneurial endeavors.

FLipfacTion4LyfE

Benchwarmer
damn that suckks to hear.. I reallii doubt houston will be outs soon. Cuz if he retires he stops getting paid. He still has like wat 3 more years?

Allen

Benchwarmer
Is anybody really surprised by this? I mean, come on, We have waited for a long time for Houston to get back into the game. Its not going to happen. I'm sorry but lets face facts, its over for Allen Houston. Its time for him to call it quits. There is going to be no miracle comeback for him.

Allen thanks for all you did for the Knicks and good luck!!!

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I think Houston should give at a shot this season. Go out there and play his last season, even if only 10 minutes per game. It's not like the Knicks are dying for his roster spot anyways. If after a few games he decides to retire, that will be good for the Knicks since they can save alot of money and take someone of the injured list.

Trin_Starr

Starter
FLipfacTion4LyfE said:
damn that suckks to hear.. I reallii doubt houston will be outs soon. Cuz if he retires he stops getting paid. He still has like wat 3 more years?

If he retires because of a medical condition aka the arthritis in his knee, insurance will cover his full remaining salary. So he will get all his money.
The knicks will have to pay a $16mil deductable.
That saves them since they don't have to pay the $40mil due to him plus the $40 luxury tax associated with it anymore.

With Houston medically retired, I believe we get an $8mil exemption to sign another player.

NYKnicks15

Starter
good job Trinn Star. someone gets the point of why we SHOULD NOT waive Allan Houston. We get him to retire and the above happens. :aplause: someones on the same page its a great feeling haha

anyhow, yea im pushing for that to happen and i always get the response of hell never retire, or what does it matter you dont pay his salary. well the truth is we wipe him clean off our books, gain a roster position and get am exception (not sure its that much ill have to check)..houston retire please

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
Been cut???? No no...this will work out to save NY a lotta $$$$$$
As long as he retires...we get bailed out by insurance...
Houston has been a great Knick...time for one more great move...retire...help the franchise

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
what good does it do us fans that the owner saves 40 million?

what if isiah uses an mle to sign another jerome james??

this reminds me of stromile swift taking the mle with houston. im wondering why isiah couldnt get him for that amount (or even pay him more through a sign and trade). a PF/C combination of swift and curry would have been very fun to watch. swift seems to have potential to be another ben wallace.

NYKnicks15

Starter
first it knocks off houstons salary off the salary cap..
second it gives us that big MLE..

yes there is a chance Isiah spends the added MLE on a "Jerome James" (who btw we shouldnt categorize as a bust until we see him play in a Knicks uni) but thats like saying "Man I havent ate in months, can you please buy me something to eat" they come back with spinach and you complain..my point is its better to have the chance "to eat" then to starve to death..

and the Swift part, whats happened has happened. we dont need to go back to what could of happened. or what should of. fact is if you read the reports Isiah flew to Las Vegas to pursue Swift and found out (just like all the other GM's) that Swift was dead set on playing for Houston a playoff entering team..

back on subject, Allan Houston NEEDS TO RETIRE