[Daily News] Fed-up fans say thank Hou for quitting

rady

Administrator
Staff member
To many Knicks fans, Allan Houston was the toast of the town when he led the eighth-seeded Knicks to the NBA Finals in 1999.
Yesterday, the only thing New Yorkers seemed willing to celebrate was Houston's retirement.

"He needed to retire, he didn't do nothing for (the Knicks) anyway," Jeffrey Bruno of Brooklyn said while standing outside of Foot Locker on W. 33rd St. "He was just on the bench, so it's good for the team.

"I admired him for what he did ... . But he can't play anymore."

The majority of fans questioned yesterday welcomed the end of Houston's 12-year career, which included nine seasons with the Knicks.

"He should have retired, he's a bum," said Clifton Brown of Manhattan. "He's had all those knee surgeries and never came back. He never did anything for them."

Most fans agreed that Houston had become a nonentity since leading the Knicks to the Finals seven seasons ago.

"Allan Houston, who's that?" said Tim Dowling of Orange County in reaction to the news.

It was a fitting question, considering the injury-plagued 34-year-old shooting guard played in just 70 of a possible 144 games the past two seasons.

Full Story

Trin_Starr

Starter
F*** those a**holes.
You don't know how enraged I am after reading that.
Like typical NYC slime that gives this great city a bad name - they can never be happy for someone has done, but are ready to rip them down.

Allan Houston gave the knicks his all. Before his 50 game season, he had only missed 10 games his whole previous career. All knicks coaches knew that they could count on him for that money shot.

You wanted a 3, draw up the play for Houston. You tried to foul H20 while shooting, And 1
The dude's jumper was sweetest I have ever seen.

And about his $100 million contract. Good things happen to good people.
His faith in God gave him that opportunity and that blessing.
Bitch asses around NY go around saying God never did any shit for me, but when ur ass doesn't give him the praise and respect he deserves - of course he's gonna leave ur filthy ass in the gutter.

Of that $100 mil, do you know how much money Allan donated to help various causes and often made it explicitly clear to the knicks organization never to publicize it.

He is a good person and was a great basketball player.
I wish him the best in his future endeavors.
And F* off to all the haters.

e_D

Benchwarmer
I agree with Trin. That's really low of certain NYers. Houston was a great player and I'm a bit saddened knowing that he'll never return.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
enough of houston. yeah yeah he was a good player with a big contract and he probably should have retired 2 years ago. ok, great.

3 of the last 6 forum threads have been based on houston - a player that is no longer on the knicks. i know this news is still pretty recent, but i just dont care that much about houstons retirement, and i dont care if that makes me seem unemotional. its a business, deal with it, move on.

johnknicksman

Benchwarmer
why is everyone so quick to blame houston for all the knicks troubles he did not want to get injured he did not enjoy sitting on the bench while jamal crawford took 100 shots a game allan gave the knicks his all when he played and i think the knicks should trade jamal crawford for a defensive shooting gaurd crawford undersized and plays no defense get rid of him i'd like to see doug christie here in a knicks uniform the mavericks while take offense over defense anyday

NYKnicks15

Starter
crawford undersized? 6'5 shooting guard..hmm i believe ray allen is the same size. interesting, he mite be skinny but height i think hes fine..

i think now that houston is gone, crawford & q-rich will share time at SG and Q is pretty defensively sound. Richardson averages .88 spg career, 1.22 last season, 1.27 playoff and 1.5 this preaseason...and Crawford averages a steal+ per game and 1.39 last season..i think under Larry Brown they'll do just fine in their "upgrading" of defense haha

why would we want doug christie back? hes broken down, getting older, and hes not much taller than Crawford! one inch? same size as Q-Rich. the only reason id want him around is too possibly see his wife beat up an opposing player, thats the ONLY reason.

back to the main subject, we are ungreatful idiots. its true. we lose and people think were garbage, we win and we think were overpaid. everythings a lose lose situation in NY. no matter what sport. just like the rest of the sports news in NY you just have to read it and use it to wipe your ass with later that day..simple as that..

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Yah, those fans are pissing me off. They obviosly aren't fans, if they say that Allan never did anything for us. Yah right, they know what there talking about :rolling: :rolling:

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
just because someone gets a lot of steals doesnt necessarily make them a good defensive player. jamal crawford is indeed, at this point in his career, BAD at defense, despite what the "steals" statistic might show. when you get burned by your man or he pushes you around and gets an easy bucket on you, that doesnt show up anywhere on the stat line. when your man beats you for a rebound, that doesnt show up anywhere either.

crawford is undersized at the 2. height isnt everything. barkley was 6'6 and played the 4 very successfully. i believe that at 5'9, nate robinson is LESS undersized at the 1 than crawford is at the 2. i wouldnt be surprised to see nate average more steals and rebounds (per 48 minutes) than crawford.

crawford is an incomplete player. its ok as long as he is a 3rd or 4th option on a team and not the main focus. i just hope nobody is banking the knicks future on him. ive got higher hopes for many of our other younger players. in fact, if i had to trade a young guy on the knicks, crawford would be the first to go.

Crawfords only 24 or 25, he is still a developing player. Yes, hes a hyperactive shooter, but with LB he'll learn to control those 3-pt impulses. He rarely misses games and has proven that he can come through in the clutch. Even if he doesnt start, he's a freak athletically and will be explosive off the bench. I think trading him would be a big mistake.

NYK Way

Benchwarmer
True Crawford's gotta drive to the basket more often, instead of taking those wild three's. So the three things Crawford's gotta improve are his defense his shot selection and hes gotta drive to the hoop more often and make contact and goto the free throw line more often. where he is an excelent free throw shooter from the line.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
im fine with craw being a 3rd or 4th option for us.

comming off the bench, he could be a huge sparkplug and a usefull asset.

im just saying dont pin your hopes on him and dont think hes some great shooting guard or that he will be an all star.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Houston's retirement is long over due. The comments don't bother me at all. You guys give Houston way, way too much credit. Can't blamn that guy for not knowing Houston, he hasn't done a damn thing for three years. Dead weight needs to be cut. I though we should have used the clause to get rid of him. But NY's too soft for that. So he retires. Now every one's all teary-eyed. Do you need some tamponds! Miss Houston? Miss him do what, warm the bench. Somebody get this man a nurse and a wheelchair.

Thank you, good night!
The Don has spoken.