Watson trade forthcoming?

NYKnicks15

Starter
With the injury to backup C/PF Nene Hilario, Denver is looking for front court help. and with the lack of a legit backup point guard New York is looking for a backup point guard. Denver and New York would be a perfect trading partner for eachother seeing New York has a lot of depth in the front, and Denver has a lot of depth in the back.

The swap would consist of Rose, Taylor or possibly James for the odd man out point guard Earl Watson. As the contracts of our 3 players are unattractive so is Earl's to a point (no pun intended)..

Earl has a 5 year 28.8 mill dollar contract (5 this year)
Rose has a 3 year around 19.7 mill dollar contract (6 this year)
Taylor has a 2 year 18.5 mill dollar contract (9.1 this year)
James has a 5 year 28.8 mill dollar contract identical to Watson's...

James would be the obvious choice..but would they take him? id push for Malik because i think (believe it or not) more ppl would bite on JJ before they would on Malik...

Earl would be a great addition to the team and could help out our "ailing" backcourt..

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i think it makes perfect sense, he reminds me of eric snow, defensive passfirst PG which it seems we need. marbury could play the 2 and maybe q at the 3. id have no prob trading one of our bigs, esp if we can later dump craw.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
jamal crawford is the best back up point guard in the league!! name one backup point guard better than him. besides that, we already have nate as a point as well. WE DONT NEED ANOTHER POINT.

instead, we need a good three point shooter. we have made 8/33 compared to opponents 22/65 so far this season. ONLY 8 three pointers made, not good! earl watson is not a 3 point shooter. only craw, marbs and qrich are reliable beyond the arc, and only Q is really a threat to be one of the best in the league.

lets get some guy like eric piatkowski or maybe even wally sczerbiak or someone like that, who can play the 2-3 and be capable of being one of the league's best 3 point shooters. in return we can give up barnes and maybe some expiring contracts. barnes is like an ariza clone. we dont need both barnes and ariza, just one of em is enough. and i like ariza more.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
as u said, we have q already. why would we take on another gunner, especially as thats not larrys style. q is taking limited shots because of injury and figuring out rotation. the shooting % are about the same, its just that 3 ball isnt and probably wont be one of our bigger weapons. our inside game is more effective than 3s.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
no. having that few three pointers made is anemic. and you can never have enough shooters. whats the whole point of that trade? to get earl watson??? what the fuck?? what a marginal fucking trade. what the fuck is earl watson gonna do.

its good to have good shooters on your team. we only have one, and yes its true that Q is still not 100%. it adds to your teams attach when you can knock down threes, then other teams have to respect your shot and they opens up driving lanes. basically, its good to have many different modes of attack. a team should have good shooting, a good beast in the middle, good slahers, etc...we've got the man in the middle, we have decent slashing ability, but we dont have good shooters.

we can use another good shooter. we definetely can. i dont care if hes not flashy and doesnt make amazing dunks. if he can knock down 3's, thats something we could use. much more than a no name marginal-at-best backup point guard.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
a moreorless lockdown d pg is crucial because that limits penetration and kick out for open shots. clearly marbury, crawford and nate are not lockdown. the problem is wed have 4 pgs unless we move marbury to the 2. we have enough big men to make it work for everyone. we could use a shooter, but if u refine marbury and crawfords shots, thats plenty of 3s. ie making them take good shots.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
man...we dont need a point guard. dont gimme that shit. especially not some meaningless guy like earl watson. he will add NOTHING to this team and u know it.

if you think we need a point guard then you are a retard.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
its not that we need a pg, its that we need a defensive pg. we are clearly lacking in that area. i admit we have a lot of PGs but for the most part they are scoring PGs, with steph being somewhat of a passer. id like earl as a defensive pg with marbury as shooter/playmaker at the 2. why isnt any1 else commenting on this btw?

NYKnicks15

Starter
crawford is not the best backup point guard in the league. that statement is one hundred percent false. crawford can not handle the ball at the PG (3 to's in 6 minutes last game), plays no D whatsoever and you know that, and needs to come off the ball not start with it, and even tho he seems good in assists this year we all know he has never avg more than 5 apg as a point guard. Larry wont be successful in turning this kid into a legit PG he was benched for his poor defense and horrible ball handling and will remain so until he improves...frankly i think this means hell be benched FOR A LONG TIME...

crawford is the best BACKUP SG in the league..YES. not pg. watson is a hard worker with a good mid range jump shot, decent 3PT range, incredible defender, great hops and very good ball handler. we need a back up PG and i think hes a good choice. better than OLLIE and better than SNOW. all wed give up is MALIK ROSE and everyones complaining?! im confused...

yes a shooter would be good but theres very limited amount of those in the league especially that play D and fit our criteria...wally is definetely not my choice and hopefully we wont be going to wally world anytime soon...

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i never said crawford is a great player...ive never particularly liked him. hes got many weaknesses. i have said that all along.

but, name ONE better backup point guard in the league than jamal crawford. you didnt name one. name him. then we will talk. if i had a choice between earl watson and jamal crawford to be my backup pointguard, i would take jamal crawford ANY DAY. and you would too. i dont care that watson is a better defender or whatever. crawford is a much better overall player than watson. id rather have a guy who can score 20 points a game and gives up 15 points a game (per say) than a guy who scores 5 points a game but gives up 10 points.

earl watson will get NO minutes on this team. marbury aint goin nowhere, hes gonna play at least 35 mins a game. the rest of the time will be divided up between nate and craw.

and earl watson is not a shut down defender. i remember how funny i thought it was when bruce bowen was called the "kobe stopper"...and then kobe lit him up for 30 points. good offense beats good defense ANY DAY.

crawford is the best backup point guard AND the best backup shooting guard in the league. you cant argue with that.

getting earl watson will be the most useless trade. just like getting mo taylor and malik rose was. isiah needs to stop making these types of trades.

nyknicks15, u must be the only man on this planet that would take earl watson over jamal crawford on ure team.

NYKnicks15

Starter
as a backup PG id take Watson. maybe i am the only guy on the planet BUT a name is just a name..crawford is a better player BUT Watson is a better point guard. who cares bout defense? the knicks, the nba, the opponents, thats what we need to win and thats what were looking for in a point guard. also someone who wont turnover the ball as much as crawford. someone who takes better care of it, assists more and cleaner..crawford is a shooting guard...just because crawfords a better player that doesnt mean hes the better POINT GUARD...

thats like saying if Shaq played the PG, Shaq's the best PG in the world...no hes a GREAT player but would make a CRAPPY point guard. just because there a great player doesnt meant they are good at every position and in this case, jamal doesnt have the tools to be one. and if the back up PG wont get a lot of minutes, then why do we care? we wont be losing anything special and according to u its one of those mindless trades isiah made either Maurice Taylor, Jerome James or Malik Rose..whats the deal?

better back up point guards in the league? Chris Duhon, Damon Jones, Maurice Williams, Brevin Knight, Gary Payton, Jameer Nelson, Bobby Jackson, Speedy Claxton, Nick Van Exel, Earl Boykins, Derek Fisher, Shaun Livingston....to name a few. better players? NO not at all BUT better point guards? YES most definetely.

i never said crawford is a great player...ive never particularly liked him. hes got many weaknesses. i have said that all along.

but, name ONE better backup point guard in the league than jamal crawford. you didnt name one. name him. then we will talk. if i had a choice between earl watson and jamal crawford to be my backup pointguard, i would take jamal crawford ANY DAY. and you would too. i dont care that watson is a better defender or whatever. crawford is a much better overall player than watson. id rather have a guy who can score 20 points a game and gives up 15 points a game (per say) than a guy who scores 5 points a game but gives up 10 points.

earl watson will get NO minutes on this team. marbury aint goin nowhere, hes gonna play at least 35 mins a game. the rest of the time will be divided up between nate and craw.

and earl watson is not a shut down defender. i remember how funny i thought it was when bruce bowen was called the "kobe stopper"...and then kobe lit him up for 30 points. good offense beats good defense ANY DAY.

crawford is the best backup point guard AND the best backup shooting guard in the league. you cant argue with that.

getting earl watson will be the most useless trade. just like getting mo taylor and malik rose was. isiah needs to stop making these types of trades.

nyknicks15, u must be the only man on this planet that would take earl watson over jamal crawford on ure team.

Actually, I agree with nyknicks15 and, frankly, you are definitely tripping or simply have not watched the games if you think Crawford is the "best back up point guard in the league." Face it, he has no feel for the game, can not dribble the ball nor initiate the offense, and isn't even a great scorer in my opinion. In short he's just a nut, he sucks and was a bad acquisition.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Let Nate, Crawford and Marbury work out the point guard position. They will get it eventually...
Move Q to the 2 and and SLAP DAVID LEE IN THE SF POSITION AND WE ARE READDYYYYYYY.

Jazzyknicks33

Benchwarmer
Wow things are heating up. Jamal Crawford is kind of like antoine walker but worse. They both turn the ball over and take stupid shots, but antoine at least rebounds, posts up, and passes. Crawford can pass decently and score SOMETIMES, but hes a turnover waiting to happen and a 3 pointer waiting to be missed. Malik Rose hasnt done Sh*t for us this year. F**k it, trade him for earl watson. Watson can help out the team a lot more then people would expect. He's a Larry Brown type of player and hes not old like eric snow. Kevin Ollie, well i just hate players from uconn even though im from CT. F**k Ollie. And F**k Jerome James hes the biggest piece of sh*t I've seen since Oliver Miller. I said before I would take Greg Ostertag over Jerome James. If theres anyway they could trade James straight up for watson, I pray they do it. If not, then get rid of malik rose.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I doubt that Denver would trade Watson for Malik. Just think about it, Denver just lost Nene to an injury and they going to replace him by trading for an under sized Malik Rose who hasn't done jack for the Knicks so far with the minutes he has put on the floor. No way, the way I see it is Denver trying to get Mo Taylor from us since his contract is expiring soon as well and he would be an upgrade from Nene. Now if we could get them to trade straight up for James, its a no brainer. I was one of his biggest supporters when he was signed to the Knicks because we didn't have any centers on the squad and we needed something to clog up the middle, but now that we got Curry, Davis could back up the Center. James for Watson would be awesome, with Davis out of the PF rotation there would be more room for Lee and Frye to come up front. I still really hope that Lee will get some SF minutes from Larry Brown, I LOVE THIS KID !!!

Well if Earl Watson wants to come to New York. Who would we give up? The Nuggets want big relief, but I don't see it. Maurice Taylor is an expiring contract, maybe we can shake him off and send him to Denver.

nyfan33

Rookie
Why is everyone so anxious to trade away all our soon-to-be-expiring contracts (eg Penny and Mo Taylor). Here's a radical idea: lets let the contracts actually expire and get under the salary cap for the first time in about a decade. Then maybe we've got a chance to sign a big name free agent in a couple of seasons. Unless we can package some of the expiring contracts for KG or Pierce then there is no point giving them up for a backup player - we already have those!

And please let's not have anymore of this nonsense that JC is the best backup guard in the NBA. He might just have the highest ppg but thats only because he jacks up the ball from anyplace on the court - I think they should change his jersey number to 5/14 - that's his usual FG line.

NYKnicks15

Starter
radical idea would be to learn about the salary cap before you say stuff like that man haha. no offense but 49.5 is the cap...and even if we let davis, penny, taylors (2 years) and houstons gets wiped away WE STILL WONT BE UNDER THE CAP. and this post is about getting rid of Malik for Watson..Malik has three years left, not so much an expiring contract wouldnt u say?