Marbury-to-Wolves has many obstacles

NYKnicks20

Benchwarmer
You couldn't scan a radio dial, surf the Internet or get a haircut late last week without hearing the Rumor That Would Not Die: Stephon Marbury was going to be traded by the New York Knicks. And invariably, the Timberwolves often were cited as a possible destination for the headstrong point guard, who forced his way out of Minnesota in March 1999 and, three teams later, still hasn't found a basketball home.

Will it happen? Long shot, at best. Should it happen? Hmm ...

There are an awful lot of hurdles to such a deal, including the $57 million left on Marbury's contract over the next three seasons. One hurdle that no longer stands in the way, it seems, is New York's willingness to part with Marbury. New coach Larry Brown already is frustrated with Marbury's me-first, pass-second game and all-too-eagerness to slide over to shooting guard, where he could indulge that style with impunity. Team president Isiah Thomas, who considers Marbury his prize bauble and on-court surrogate, no longer goes ballistic at such trade rumors, which also says a lot.

Still, there is Marbury's personal history with the Wolves, snubbing his nose at the team's master plan within days of his 22nd birthday, back when the "old" NBA system gave third-year players way too much leverage. There is his relationship with Kevin Garnett, always overbilled as a friendship and not helped when Marbury essentially left Garnett behind, avoided him at the All-Star Game in Atlanta or compared him to Mario Elie in an effort to stroke then-teammate Amare Stoudemire.

There is, too, the matter of what the Knicks would want back; Wally Szczerbiak and Marko Jaric are the names most often floated in the rumors and, while that would work in terms of salary-matching, there's no telling if New York would accept that or seek more elsewhere.

Finally, the last time we checked, Minnesota still is cold and icy. Marbury hates cold and icy.

But if the Wolves managed to satisfactorily answer all the questions and fill in all the blanks, would it be a deal worth pursuing? You know what they say in sports: The team that gets the best player in a trade usually gets the best of the trade.

That's worth remembering, too, should Garnett ever star in The Rumor That Would Not Die.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/5735825.html

Trin_Starr

Starter
I would think a KG to the knicks trade more likely than this one.

Chicago tribune stated that KG said he would rather have the organization come to him and say we're rebuilding - where would u like us to trade you - as opposed to making a public scene about a trade.

Since the wolves have stated their intentions to rebuild - they would be looking for instant expiring contracts and young talent.
The knicks have both.

Plus KG moved to chicago back in 95 where he went to high school - so you know that has to make Isiah tingle! lol

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea i think KG to NY, LA, or CHI-Town is more likely than anyone big coming to Minny.

They would have never done a sign and trade for Marco Jaric though if they wanted to get under the cap. (6 years 32+ million) and they have Hudson, Sczerbiark, Griffin, Hassell and Madsen making some decent money...if they ship off KG maybe theyll look for expiring contracts but i also think theyll look for something in return..say a contract close to Jaric's say Jamal Crawford?

we wont be able to tell what direction they go in until deadline...but rebuilding is the key. just depends on what direction of the rebuilding they go in. they mite ask for a young guy or so but i think Penny Hardaway, a draft pick & Jamal Crawford would do the trick..

Allen

Benchwarmer
If they do go ahead and talk about a trade for Garnett. I hope that we do not include our young guys. Robinson, Lee, Frye, and Ariza should be the core of the Knicks for years to come. I wouldn't be so eager to trade them even if it is for an established superstar like Kevin Garnett.

thwax

Benchwarmer
One KG destination that has been sited has been Indiana... with the trade being KG for Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley.

Why do I bring this up? Because if you were the Wolve's GM you've got to get something back for a superstar like KG... look at the Raptors today after they trade Carter away for basically nothing!

Of course we'd all do the trade in a heartbeat (maybe even quicker than that): KG for Crawford, Penny and 1st rounder... all they get a bit of cap relief. It helps us huges as we have too many SG's and Penny is on the IR.

If we are going to have a legit chance, (put yourselves in the T-Wolves GM chair for a moment - ouch that hurts), I think they'd only look at the following few options:

REBUILDING OPTION:
KG to the Knicks for:
1. Penny, Frye, Lee and 1st round pick
2. Penny, Ariza, Lee and 1st round pick

NOT WORRIED ABOUT CAP ISSUES:
KG and Jaric to the Knicks for:
1. Marbury, Jamal, Lee and a 1st round pick (this one i'd jump on!)
2. Marbury, Frye, Rose and a 1st round pick (they would demand size back and defense)

At the end of all of this, guys i know i may sound a little crazy, but KG is not looking as GREAT as he has in the past (this is his 11th year in the league, turning 30 in May)... he doesn't have a lot of up-side left... don't get me wrong, he is a phenomenal player which i'd love to have... but we may have to give up too much.

I think we'd have to go in another direction... let's pray that Frye blossoms into a GREAT player, that we don't have to morgage the team for another top player whose already hit his peak...

Anyway that's my 2 cents... just a few thoughts

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
dunno if theres any credence to this but this was on espn.com today:

"Will KG be a Knick by the end of February? Chris Sheridan's been talking to NBA insiders. ... Insider "

timnakhla

Rookie
I think it's gonna come down to KG and wally and couple a throw in's for sal. cap purpose for a couple of expiring contracts and two young up and coming talented kids, mini will be trading the present for the future which is what they need to do and the knicks will get their superstar. :twisted:

KG: 18mm
Wally:10mm
Madsen: 2.0mm
Hoiberg: 1.0mm

for

AD: 13.8mm
Penny: 15.7mm
Nate: 1.1mm
Lee: .8mm

Trin_Starr

Starter
pyotrveliky said:
dunno if theres any credence to this but this was on espn.com today:
"Will KG be a Knick by the end of February? Chris Sheridan's been talking to NBA insiders. ... Insider "

Here's my take on the article in my own words.

As it is now KG is under contract over the next three years. With Wallyworld also under contract for an equal number of years, the Timberwolves would have very little salary cap flexibility for the next half-decade unless they jettisoned their two highest-paid players. Minnesota already has a forward (Mark Madsen) and three guards (Marko Jaric, Troy Hudson and Trenton Hassell) signed at least through the 2009-10 season.

The deal is
NYK gives AD and penny
For Wally and KG

While that would be extrmely lopsided talent-wise, it relieves the Wolves of $102 million in salary obligations over the next three seasons, and then allows them to enter the 2006 offseason with about $25 million of cap space.

One source close to several NBA players insisted that the viability of the Knicks' offer should not be dismissed, going so far as to say that KG is making a private push through back channels to be dealt to NYC and reunite with Steph.

"I'd bet money he'll be wearing a Knicks uniform by the end of February," the source said.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
id do that in a fuckin heartbeat. i dunno if id want to start wally tho, id rather put frye or lee in at the 3. i think frye is quick enough to play the 3 and obviously hes tall enough.

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
Getting Wally and Jarvic for Marbury is what we need to definately ballance our offense. Wally would give us outside shooting to go along with Richardson and Frye plus he would compliment our interior offense. Though Wally's a defensive liablility he'd be backed up by Ariza. I think this would fix our "flawed roster" Jarvic would bring leadership and outside shooting as well.

Starks

Starter
Hey guys...LETS GET REAL!
All this KG stuff is a waste of time. KG hasn't spoken to Steph for years. Marbury admits this, and he also said in an interview with Stephen A. Smith that when he tried to reach out KG over the summer, KG never called him back. I don't think Mchale would give KG up for the trash we have on our team, not even cap space for next season since the Free Agent class isn't spectacular. Lets move on and deal with our flawed roster and hope that Larry can fix the chemistry of the team so that we can scratch the playoffs. KG and Steph back??? Larry Brown would have a nervous breakdown w/ these 2 on the team. Lets worry about developing Fry and Lee, and hope to get a point guard.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Yeah, it does sound like a dream to get the great one, Kevin Garnett but if it were to happen it wouldn't happen for trash. Wave by to Crawford. Hell, I say we need to focus on keeping our youths. Fry is the rookie of the year so far. If we can't get Garnett then focus our offense around Fry. It may be too early to make such a bold statement but it very well can come to pass. Forget about trading Steph. Ant gonna happen. Trade Crawford. He doesn't fit in to the system and hes' got trade value. Give and take!

NYKnicks15

Starter
its funny how we all speak like we know KG or Marbs personally. now if we go by interviews and seeing you are going by the Smith one on Quite Frankly...I suggest you re-watch it. He stated they say what's up before games and passing conversation but nothing in depth. He also never said he hasn't tried calling him or reaching out..then they want on to Steph didnt want to sound like a woman and how they talk about relationships. Just because they dont go in depth in convo means nothing that doesnt mean they hate eachother. if were speculating (like we all our cause no one not even you knows Steph or KG personally) then id speculate its because after the trade they were no longer forced to see each other on an everyday basis. and if you play for two different teams across the states and travel as much as nba players do you really dont stay in touch with players unless they are really close friends...that trade what 8 years ago? means nothing...and if it does there both acting like girls..

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Marbury first forced a trade out of Minny b/c he wanted to create an identity for himself in the league. Being a legendary PG in NY most of your life has a way of making you want to live up to your own hype (ala skip to my lou). Once Marbury left Minny he probably realized somewhere down the line that the game is a lot harder w/o someone like KG to bail you out. Marbury did achieve AllStar-like status w/o KG but probably privately realized that he was wrong. Marbury will probably never publicly apologize to KG but I'm sure if KG were to come to NY one will be issued on some level.

That Insider article states that KG has been privately pushing to be traded to NY. With everything he's done for Minny I'm sure they'll try to honor his request, but it's definitely gonna cost the Knicks. The two expiring contracts are most likely just the foundation of the trade, so I'm sure they'll ask to include other pieces like Frye or Lee. We all know we'd rather give up Lee but if they asked for Frye would you give up him up too?

I would love to keep Frye in this trade. KG would give him valuable role as a true mentor, someone that he can maybe pattern his game after. Teach him the ropes of the position in the league. Some of today's best PF's had great guys to learn from. TD had Robinson, JO had Rasheed. KG & Curry would instantly become the best front court tandem in the league, but the best part is that we would be grooming another good player to rotate in with them.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
they key to this trade is that we can't trade any player obtained in the off-season until 45 days after the start of the season (Dec. 15)...Davis can't be traded until then.