Channing Frye - Rookie of the Year?

e_D

Benchwarmer
As far as I know, this year's rookie class doesnt seem to solid. Do you guys think it's possible for Frye to take home the ROTY award? He's in the top 5 in scoring and rebounds among rookies, and he has just put together a chain of 3 straight 20 point games. This guy is looking good. He doesn't seem to miss with that mid-range jumper.

I think maybe the only rookie that is having as solid of a season is Deron Williams, but he averages about 30 something minutes per game as opposed to Frye's 20 MPG.

Do you guys think Frye has a legit shot at bringing the ROTY award back to NY?

nyk35

Benchwarmer
he can only improve from here and by the looks of things he has a bright future ahead of him i reckon he could average 20 points 8 rebs by the end of the year and depending how chris paul deron williams and charlie v go he might just have a chance at r.o.y

portega1968

El Cacique
When Frye was drafted, I trashed Isiah for picking what I thought would be a bust. I must eat my words and admit I was so wrong. Frye may well have the most reliable mid-range jump shot I have ever seen and today I'm so glad he's a Knick.

It'll be tough to beat Deron, Paul and Villanueva for ROY, but if Channing becomes a starter (he definitely deserves to start at the 4 the way he's playing), he may have a chance to be ROY.

One thing's certain, he will be a starter in this year's rookie game.

NYKnicks15

Starter
hmm i actually believe chris pauls putting up 17 & 6...still good numbers but not 20 and 10...if the season ended right now would Frye get the award? no. would he deserve it? no. hes doing good right now and thank u portega cause at least some ppl are owning up to thinking this kid is the next Charles Smith...

but if channing begins to start at the C (moving Curry to the PF) or just starts at the PF (which he eventually should) i think he has a legit chance..yea especially if we make the playoffs. I think he needs to add a few more rebounds to those stats and break the 1bpg spot and he has a very legit chance

Trin_Starr

Starter
In addition to the fact that as a big man, he's shooting 88% from the FT line - that's unheard of!!
Second, his FG% is at 51%
All this in only 20mins a game - this kid can play ball.

I think if he continues to play this way, he has a legit shot at ROY.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
From Day 1, I've always said that Frye should be playin the four. Most if not all the work he has been getting is at the 4. I really believe with him at the PF and Curry at C, we will have one of the most dynamic frontcourts for years to come.

I agree that there may be no clear cut choice right now for ROY. There are several players that doing well and need more playing time to show what they really have. Frye definitely deserves a nomination and should get serious consideration if he becomes our starting PF. Paul may be the best rookie by years' end but may not get it b/c he plays for the worst team in the league. Bogut may get it if Milwaukee decides to put him back in the starting line-up. As a starter he was putting up very good numbers. Villanueva has proven to be a surprise. If Bosh wasn't playing the same position, he would be starting and be putting pretty good numbers as well.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Paul wont get it because hes on the worst team in the league?...interesting view...Emeka Okafor won it last year and was on the worst team in the league. i really dont think that has any sway of the matter well unless u take your team to the finals your rookie year. then standings are considered i suppose.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i meant that in his last few games chris paul put up something like 20 and 10, my bad. his averages are lower, youre right.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Actually Charlotte had a really good stretch last year and had more wins before the end of the 1st half than anyone ever thought they would have had in the whole year. Much of that press was credited to the presence of Emeka Okafor and his 17 or so straight Double-Double's, coming close if not breaking the record for straight double-double's.

The difference in this situation is that there is more national press surrounding the other issues going on with the Hornets than the positive things Paul is accomplishing.

Greenie

Rookie
Let's go slowly. We have seen great mid range jump shooting, great running the floor, soft hands around the hoop. We have not seen much of a post game which is essential for a guy his size or defense in the post. Question: will he or will he not be better than Marcus Camby?

e_D

Benchwarmer
When you look at how Camby has been playing this year, it's hard to imagine Frye getting that good (20 and 15 a night). We all know his offense is instant, but he should be getting 1 or 2 more rebounds for a guy his size. As Aguirre works with him I only see Frye getting better, sky is the limit for this kid.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
He definetly has a chance and is one of the top candidates, but he is still behind Chris Paul right now.

And whether or not the Knicks make the playoffs is irrelevent, the ROTY is based on the best rookie from that year, its not like a MVP award.

But you still gotta root for him.

CHANNING FRYE FOR ROTY!!

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
yea i hope he can keep this form, i really want to see a new yorker make it to the all star game, and get to the rookie sophomore game, make up for last year... becky hammond in that shooting stars thing

nyk33334

Benchwarmer
Brian_Coleman_21 said:
You also have to take into consideration, that we are games into the year so we shouldn't get to ahead of ourselves.

The first time I saw Channing I thought he looked like a skinny lanky p***y, Im sure many knick fans thought that. But Frye has bulkded up and showed everyone that he is not as soft as we think. Its about time we drafted well. Our rookies are clearly developing gradually. Channing is awesome, he's been playing very well the past few games. I loved his ally-oop in LA. If Frye kan keep performing this way, eventually he'll be a candidate for Rookie of The Year. Yea it is kinda early to jugde, but this shows how far we've come along. Who woulda thought our 7th pick would play so well? Who woulda thought we'd feel this way bout our rookies after years of bad drafting? Well time has come, and thank Zeke we got a young swift big man on da team who's a fairly good scorer. Lets not jinx it. I wouldn't include him in a trade for KG.

WiL8000

Rotation player
Anything is possible, I'd like to believe it... the season is young though, there's plenty of time for Frye to get better. Alot of it could pend on how the season goes for the Knicks. I could also see Bogut getting it with the Bucks playing well.