Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what do we need?

oh and Stan Van Gundy had Wade and Shaq. We do not have that type of major player. what we do have however, are a bunch of rookies that need to develop and have to have a patience to develop them.

You know, there really isn't an answer to what the Knicks can do or need to do. The Knicks are capped out for the next few years and as contracts expire, the remaining contracts increase. So, we don't get any head room when we actually loose a contract. The Knicks are in cap HELL and will probably have to keep making trades, thus taking on long contracts, until they find the right mix. If the Knicks stopped right now and just rode out their existing contracts, it would take close to 5 years before they are under the cap enough to make a serious move on a high end player (if one is available). So, if we want to get a player that could make a difference (like an Artest) we would have to take on 1 or 2 bad contracts with him. Not to mention give up some young talent. Here's a few ideas that I think can help (don't think they will ever happen though):
    1) If Toronto throws in the Denver pick, then make the Rose trade for PH. We take a cap hit next season but have a possible high pick.
    2) Do NOT go after Artest (even though I know Indiana will never deal with NY with out Frye being in the trade). Artest, as talented as he is, would be a bad role model for our young players and he isn't committed to his game anyway.
    3) If there was one player that I think would be a fit for NY and Brown, it is AK47. I would contact Utah and see if an expiring contract along with say, David Lee and/or Ariza plus future draft picks could get the deal done. This is the one player I would pull of a Hershel Walker deal for. I would give up future #1 picks for him. Hell, I would take Boozers contract to get the deal done. His D and just his overall game would be exactly what Brown would love to add to this roster. He would be worth it!
    4) Contact a team like Charlotte and see if they would be interested in Marbury. Marbury, with all his faults, can still put up numbers and put people in seats. A new team like the Bobcats might take the $$$ on to add some excitement. They are way under the cap and even with Steph's contract, they would still be under the cap. I would just try to get an unprotected pick for him. I think Marbury has run his course in NY and it is time for him to go.
    5) Try to draft a pure point guard with in the next 2 years. In the mean time, move JC over to the point I think he would listen to Brown and do a half way decent job at the one.
    6) Last, I would see if a Western team would be interested in QR. I think QR could get back to his old game once he is back in the run and gun west. See if Denver might be intersted in a trade for Andre Miller. I think QR would be a great fit for Denver. If it went, we would bring JC off the bench and have hime spot at both the 1 and 2.
    I know these scenarios are more than long shots, probably inpossible, but this is my wish list.

andre miller is a choice that intrigues me,i think we need a point guard move strabury to shooting guard.get a nice small forward and decent back up center trade for ruben patterson and theo ratliff. those three ???? curry,frye,patterson,miller, starbury, with a bench of jcraw,ariza,dlee and nate and ratliff good 10 man rotation

Lurker

We need an outside shooter asap. He doesn't need to be a star, but we need a guy that can shoot it at a high percentage to help us play with a lead or come back from the holes our starters dig every night. Is Pat Garrity or Hedo Turkolu available? Without a lottery pick (thanks Zeke) maybe we can get Gerry McNamara from Cuse. He's only a few notches below JJ Reddick in the jump shot department.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Cutting Marbury is dumbest thing I've read up here to date. Steph is no Kobe but he's not the weaklink. Curry has been injured so we've had no real center, Richardson has been and still is a nonfactor, Crawford is streaky and doesn't play D. Were do I stop on the list of things that are wong with this team that have nothing to do with the GM, the coach, or the point guard. All of this other stuff you guys are talking about will not happen. AK47 for who? Jalen Rose is washed up. You might as well keep Penny. I've been in fantasy world too long. The voice of reason is back.

The Don has spoken.

hometheater is right, the only way for us to upgrade our team is to continuously trade takin on long term contracts in the process until we find the right mix players. Keeping Penny would do us no good. We'd still be over the cap and would have lost trade bait in the process. We have to trade Penny, but I don't think Jalen Rose is the answer either. Jalen isn't exactly washed up but he's not exactly a solid contributor either. Trading for AK47 & Boozer would be great but I doubt Utah in their right mind would do it, especially with Layden on their payroll. Marbury should be shopped while he still has trade value. As long as LB is our coach, there is no way Marbury can be our PG. I wouldn't want him playing our 2 either.

Default Question to hoop115

Hoop115, if Utah was willing to make that trade (ak47 and boozer) but they wanted Frye in the deal... Would you make it? Say it was for the 2 expiring contracts that we have and say future picks and Frye.... Would you pull the trigger?t

Originally Posted by RMK-NYK
    Instead of Marbuy conforming to LB, how about the coach conform to the level and type of talent that he has? Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do? Look at Pat Riley...showtime in LA in the 80's, then he came to the Knicks and took a roster of physical, hardnosed, hussle guys, and had them do just that...and he rode that to the NBA finals. Even Phil Jackson now...the man I thought could never win if he didnt have a ready made team...he's got his team playing above .500 and only 3 out of their division. Is it his ideal style of ball? No I'm sure it isnt, but he's taken the talent that he has and realized the only way they'll win is to ride it on Kobe. Rather than fighting with his superstar player in the press and belittling him, he's leaning on him and making the most of him.

I realize that this Knicks team is in a rebuilding phase, and you've got to take your lumps before you grow....but honestly...this team should not be THIS bad. Enough of this "play the game the right way." I'm sick of that tired phase. The only reason that worked in Detroit was because Brown got Rasheed Wallace gift wrapped to him 2 yrs ago, and that wasst conform to a stubborn, the final piece. I mean look at the Pistons now after Brown is gone. They're immensely better, and actually playing better offense. Lord knows what could have happened there last year had Brown actually taken what he had and maximized it rather than having players conform to his stubborn methods.

I'm just not impressed with the guy so far, and I'm tired of his talking up the other team's roster while he belittles his own, and changes his rotation every game. And now he's starting to openly take shots at Marbury in the press. Honestly...it's really totally ridiculous, and he's making an embarassment of this team. How about the guy actually start coaching, and stop telling us game after game that it's his fault and that he "...has to do a better job."
    You know, I remember VanGundy using the media to get his message to the players. That is an old trick that most coaches use; Riley was huge on that as well. The thought process that the proven coach must conform to a stubborn, pre-madonna star player is the very thing that plagues the NBA today!! Brown has won, and he always has success at some level with every team he coaches, and yet you Marbury guys think he should change his wining ways and philosophy to coddle a player, that buy the way no coach has ever been able to harness this guy, and revolve the team around the player’s philosophy. He is also supposed to disregard the other players’ needs and styles for him as well. Because Marbury’s game isolates his teammates.