You know, there really isn't an answer to what the Knicks can do or need to do. The Knicks are capped out for the next few years and as contracts expire, the remaining contracts increase. So, we don't get any head room when we actually loose a contract. The Knicks are in cap HELL and will probably have to keep making trades, thus taking on long contracts, until they find the right mix. If the Knicks stopped right now and just rode out their existing contracts, it would take close to 5 years before they are under the cap enough to make a serious move on a high end player (if one is available). So, if we want to get a player that could make a difference (like an Artest) we would have to take on 1 or 2 bad contracts with him. Not to mention give up some young talent. Here's a few ideas that I think can help (don't think they will ever happen though):
1) If Toronto throws in the Denver pick, then make the Rose trade for PH. We take a cap hit next season but have a possible high pick.
2) Do NOT go after Artest (even though I know Indiana will never deal with NY with out Frye being in the trade). Artest, as talented as he is, would be a bad role model for our young players and he isn't committed to his game anyway.
3) If there was one player that I think would be a fit for NY and Brown, it is AK47. I would contact Utah and see if an expiring contract along with say, David Lee and/or Ariza plus future draft picks could get the deal done. This is the one player I would pull of a Hershel Walker deal for. I would give up future #1 picks for him. Hell, I would take Boozers contract to get the deal done. His D and just his overall game would be exactly what Brown would love to add to this roster. He would be worth it!
4) Contact a team like Charlotte and see if they would be interested in Marbury. Marbury, with all his faults, can still put up numbers and put people in seats. A new team like the Bobcats might take the $$$ on to add some excitement. They are way under the cap and even with Steph's contract, they would still be under the cap. I would just try to get an unprotected pick for him. I think Marbury has run his course in NY and it is time for him to go.
5) Try to draft a pure point guard with in the next 2 years. In the mean time, move JC over to the point I think he would listen to Brown and do a half way decent job at the one.
6) Last, I would see if a Western team would be interested in QR. I think QR could get back to his old game once he is back in the run and gun west. See if Denver might be intersted in a trade for Andre Miller. I think QR would be a great fit for Denver. If it went, we would bring JC off the bench and have hime spot at both the 1 and 2.
I know these scenarios are more than long shots, probably inpossible, but this is my wish list.