Compromise Larry

Blumatic

Rotation player
I really thought that LB was going to make this team reasonably better. Maybe he still will, technically its still early. However it seems that Brown is not maximizing Steph. A mark of a great coach it to maximze you players talent. Steph had a career year last year. The Knicks still lost alot but most of them were close games that they could not finish. All of a sudden we cant help but fall behind by fifteen points every game.

I understand we needed to take few steps back but if by game 41 the team is still like this...something has to give.

Steph is a dynamic talent, let him go. You saw what happened in the New Jersey game. Nate is suppose to try to be an LB pg also. But Nate just started shootimg his ass off and brought the game back.

According to LB standards Steph was not allowed to do that. Steph never freezes out his teamates in games. His teammates get their numbers. Let Steph go LB, you'd be surprise of what can happen. Most of the games we have won Steph had monster games. Let Steph do his thing. I think he remembers a particular Olympic record.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
I'm starting to see that Larry Brown is quite possibly one of the most overrated coaches ever. Sure the guy probably has more bball knowledge in his pinky than I do, but from a pure coaching standpoint, he's too full of himself and his own methods, to make this situation work. Good coaches like Pat Riley and (dare I say it) Phil Jackson take what they have and make the most of it and win.

I came into this season waiting anxiously for the Lakers to be awful so that all my yrs of arguing that Phil Jackson can only win with a ready made team would be confirmed. Instead, he's come in, realized that the only way for this team to have a winnign record is to just let it all ride on Kobe, and surprisingly, they actually have been keep their heads above water with a 15-14 record. Granted Kobe is a scoring machine and among the best players in the league, but I still think if you compare rosters, the Knicks should probably be doing much better than they are.

Why isn't this the case? Because thick-headed and stubborn Larry Brown only knows one way to coach, and he's ready to have his team suck for however many yrs it'll take before he gets the roster he desires. I'm sorry, but with the Knicks cap situation that just isn't gonna happen. He needs to quit his stupid indecision, quit his lame whining, and come up with a set rotation (preferably one that features the young guys), and start making the most of what he has.

Game after game he uses the same tired phrase that "it's my fault..." "...it's on me.." "...I need to coach better..." Well, really LB...ya think? Get off your behind and do it then!

dabish105

Benchwarmer
I would not go as far to say LB is overrated. This is a team he has inhert and still needs a few pieces that he can work with. We will be a better second half team. I just think we need to be patient because coaches coach and players play. Players need to make plays and Im sure LB is putting them in position to do so.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
dabish105, you're right that he did inherit this team and it's probably not his ideal roster (I doubt it's anyone's ideal roster for that matter, except Isiah's), but still they should not be THIS bad. It was already bad enough that he was changing the rotation the way Steinbrenner used to fire managers, but now with the way he's sniping at Marbury in the press...it's getting really ugly and turning the organization into a laughing stock.

I hope you're right though that this team has a better 2nd half...as long as they show some improvement at the least, then this season will not be so lost.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
larry is kind of overrated..he has proven that he can coach young teams..he needs a team mostly based on veterans..to me larry brown has overachieved cuz he went to detroit coming off a season when they 50+ games so that ring he didnt really worked(phil jackson too)

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
I've been saying all along that Larry Brown is overrated and needs to be shown the door. NOW! Stan Van Gundy is available! Let's get him in here...someone who can clean up a mess (like the one Riley left him). Here we have a team with guys with a lot of ability and not ONE could he make into an impact player. No one has career years with Larry Brown. How suddenly does Detroit look like an offensive machine without LB there? And Billiups looks like the best PG in the universe. Sure LB won a champioship with them but it was the acquisition of Rasheed Wallace that got them over the hump not LB. Remember that they were outsted by the Nets in the Conference final the year before. They wouldn't have gotten past the Nets without Rasheed. Crawford and Marbury have had 50 point games, Curry is a load down low, J.James had a very good playoff last year, Q shot lights out last season and they have an awsome set of rookies and 2nd year men. But LB can't make one into a better player. You say he doesn't have players. So what was his excuse for the Olympics?

dabish105

Benchwarmer
serious people this guy has coached about 30 games and i do agree that the team is not looking good but is it fair to judge him after that many games. historically all his teams have struggled in hist first year. Look at our roster, do we have a defensive stopper ? how many of those guys are known for defense.. I mean the coach coaches and players play.. If they cant learn to guard a pick and roll then its the players faults.

marbury just needs to step his game up and lead this team .. thats the problem. AI did it, chauncey did it why cant Steph...

Jazzyknicks33

Benchwarmer
Curry and Frye need to get more familiar with each others games. Once curry can stay healthy and they develop more chemistry, the knicks will have 1 of the top big man combinations in the east. I still believe they'll be a better second half of the season team, but larry doesn't deserve any of the blame. Ever since Isiah took over as gm the knicks haven't had time to develop chemistry.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Brown is an old school coach. He believes in team and role playing. He preaches D first and likes to play a very slow methodical game. Unfortunately, he has a GM that tried to put together a run and gun team. The mismatch, in my opinion, is Isiah and Brown! Also, they both inherit a club that is capped out for years (not to mention the additional bad contracts Isiah took upon himself to add). Brown's teams have always competed, this is one of the worst Brown teams I have seen, but it is not the team that he would have wanted... I was NOT for the QR trade, even though I was not a fan of KT. The knicks need to make a move with the 2 expiring contracts that they have, to bring in a piece or 2 that can help this team move in a different direction.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
What LB likes and what he has are clearly two different things. In my mind, though, a good coach coaches and does what he can with the talent he has. I described already how Riley and Phil Jackson have done it. If you want other examples, look at Bill Parcells in the NFL. You don't try to fit a square peg into a circular hole....but essentially that's what LB is doing with this team.

That said...they finally won a big game tonite against a very quality opponent (although they did their best at the FT line to try and give it away), and LB for once stuck with a core group. Hopefully this is the start of something....

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
RMK-NYK said:
What LB likes and what he has are clearly two different things. In my mind, though, a good coach coaches and does what he can with the talent he has. I described already how Riley and Phil Jackson have done it. If you want other examples, look at Bill Parcells in the NFL. You don't try to fit a square peg into a circular hole....but essentially that's what LB is doing with this team.

That said...they finally won a big game tonite against a very quality opponent (although they did their best at the FT line to try and give it away), and LB for once stuck with a core group. Hopefully this is the start of something....

Riley and Phil Jackson have taken over ready made teams. Riley came to NY when the Knicks had the core of: Ewing, Oakley, Mark Jackson, Wilkens. Mot to mention the Xman joined that year as well. So all Riley really needed was a piece or 2 to really define the team and make it a contender. He took over a team that was rich in defensive players; players that were physical and could force their will on to their opponents. So Riley, who came from show time, knew that the strenght of this new team wasn't in show time but a slow paced, defensive laden game.

Phil Jackson took over the Bulls when they had MJ, Bill Cartright, Pippen and Paxson.
Both Coaches moved on to other teams that were laden with talent as well. So, you really think it is a true comparison of Brown to those guys when brown inherts the most disfunctional team ever constructed as to Riley and Jackson who inherited 2 centers, and 2 forwards that are in the 100 greatest players to play the game. I think you need to rethink your stance. Brown is sitting with a team that was thrown together with no rhyme or reason. There is no coherency with this team, no identity or direction. Also, you have Marbury who is the worst point guard in the league and at the same time is one of the most talented palyers. Curry who can't play 2 games in a row! QR and JC who, between them, would like nothing more than to throw 3 pointers all day. Who plays D on this team??? Frye??? No! He will be a very good player in time but he is not a good defensive player right now. So, there is NO comparison to the situation with what Brown walked into as to what Riley and Jackson walked into.
One last thing. Jackson is NOW, for the first time in his career taking over a team that is dissfunctional and by the way, one of those disfunctional players is Kobe Bryant. So he still has a veteran super star to work with!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Knicks fans are always looking for someone to blame. If it's not Larry Brown it's Marbury or Thomas. Lets face it we have a young team that really does not know how to play basketball. They are inconsistant and there's nothing anyone can do about it over night. Thomas is there to make trades. This is what needs to be done at this point if we can get some quality players. Steph is not the problem, Larry is not the problem. The problem is we have a week team. Stop looking for some one to blame. Stankin a$$ ingrates.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
donchris said:
Knicks fans are always looking for someone to blame. If it's not Larry Brown it's Marbury or Thomas. Lets face it we have a young team that really does not know how to play basketball. They are inconsistant and there's nothing anyone can do about it over night. Thomas is there to make trades. This is what needs to be done at this point if we can get some quality players. Steph is not the problem, Larry is not the problem. The problem is we have a week team. Stop looking for some one to blame. Stankin a$$ ingrates.

I do not agree! There is always blame and someone always ends up taking that blame and paying for it (usually with their job). Brown is a great coach and he is trying to take a group of misfits and make them into something. Marbury is always going to take any team that he is on and hold them down, while putting up good personal numbers. He is not the type of player that can take a team on his back; even though he is paid like one and proclaims himself to be a superstar. Marbury is a looser, not a winner and every team he is on looses. Case closed on Steph! I do agree with you that the team is week but that can be remedied with changing out just a few players.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
hometheaterguy said:
donchris said:

I do not agree! There is always blame and someone always ends up taking that blame and paying for it (usually with their job). Brown is a great coach and he is trying to take a group of misfits and make them into something. Marbury is always going to take any team that he is on and hold them down, while putting up good personal numbers. He is not the type of player that can take a team on his back; even though he is paid like one and proclaims himself to be a superstar. Marbury is a looser, not a winner and every team he is on looses. Case closed on Steph! I do agree with you that the team is week but that can be remedied with changing out just a few players.

Not true. Look back to Marbury's time with the Suns. The team improved around him and he was a big part of that improvement. Placing blame is not productive. The media, fans, all full of $%(!. Marbury can't win in your eyes. If he scores 25 he's selfish. If he doesn't put up high numbers score wise, but mad assists then he's not being aggressive enough. Make up your minds. When he plays the so call (right way) we lose. No! Again I say Steph is not the weaklink. We need him too score not distribute the ball. We need to move him to SG and get a distruibuting PG. That was the original plan and that's the one we should stick with. Fans make me sick. When the guy scores 33 you are all on his #!#k. Now the entire team is struggling. No one says trade Curry or trade Richardson. Guys have been hurt and have not really contributed too the team the way we thought they would.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Uh, who are you Marbury's cousin? Marbury's game is one of the most 1 dimensional games I have ever seen. Yes he can put up big numbers, but he never puts the team on his back and carries them. As far as your QR reference.... read my posts, I never wanted him here, didn't think he was what we needed. I want to get rid of him as well as Marbury! Yes, we should be critical of Curry.... He can't seem to stay healthy but he is sooo young with so much potential that he gets some time to prove himself. As does Frye, Lee, Ariza and Nate. These guys are very young and deserve some years to develop and hone their skills. Marbury has been shipped out of every orginazation that he has been with! Why do you think??? Now the knicks are talking about trading him??? See a pattern developing? He just might be better off at the 2 spot but do you really want a 6'2" 2 guard? You think any of the top 2 guards will fear him? Face it, marbury is a 'tweener, who happens to have tremendous physical abilities, but because of his size he is religated to the 1 spot (which was his school postion). His game and his basketball mind makes him a bad fit for any team. He is a 6 foot 2 inch scorer... What the hell can any team do with that?

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I would also like to add to HomeTheater's argument that Marbury is severely overpaid and he chokes in key moments. He's just too mentally weak to play at New York.

Blumatic

Rotation player
hometheaterguy said:
Uh, who are you Marbury's cousin? Marbury's game is one of the most 1 dimensional games I have ever seen. Yes he can put up big numbers, but he never puts the team on his back and carries them. As far as your QR reference.... read my posts, I never wanted him here, didn't think he was what we needed. I want to get rid of him as well as Marbury! Yes, we should be critical of Curry.... He can't seem to stay healthy but he is sooo young with so much potential that he gets some time to prove himself. As does Frye, Lee, Ariza and Nate. These guys are very young and deserve some years to develop and hone their skills. Marbury has been shipped out of every orginazation that he has been with! Why do you think??? Now the knicks are talking about trading him??? See a pattern developing? He just might be better off at the 2 spot but do you really want a 6'2" 2 guard? You think any of the top 2 guards will fear him? Face it, marbury is a 'tweener, who happens to have tremendous physical abilities, but because of his size he is religated to the 1 spot (which was his school postion). His game and his basketball mind makes him a bad fit for any team. He is a 6 foot 2 inch scorer... What the hell can any team do with that?

Well, why are you expecting that from him. If we trade him what are we going to get him for?

Knick fans are totally confused. Most Knick fans think the player's contract determines your responsiblity to carry a team.

Poor Allan Houston, the man never had a shot. The guy got hurt then he's enemy number 1. Had that been Othella Harrington back in the day it would be no big deal, b/c he is not a high paid talented player. But Houston couldnt come back. The comeback he had were too early which furthered damaged is knee, thank to media nad impatient fans.

Steph, like Crawford, and Curry, all got to do it by committee. LB is in that group too. Steph is not the leader that we expect him to be. Honestly no one on this team is in a position to be. But this is a team sport. Marbury all the way too Butler gotta do their job.

This is not the New York Marburys, this is the New York Knicks. When they lose I'm mad at all of them. I will get mad at a player for poor decision making a close games. But they all get the "L" they all get a togue lashing from me.

They all need each other. Most would say steph played a great game last night. Well let me say that Eddie Curry and David Lee mad Steph look good, and Steph mad them two look good as well.

Stop focusing on Steph ( a productive player) and start focusing on your team.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I don't know about you guys, but am starting to like Marbury and Nate on the court together at the same time. Nate is showing some real good perimeter defense and REBOUNDING. I think Larry finally got something in playing Steph and Nate together and bringing Crawford off the bench to replace either one. Now what about playing David Lee at the SF, finally someone heard my screams to let the kid play.

I feel Larry is doing a great job, slower than I would like, but we are going to start seeing some real progress real soon. All he needed was a set rotation to get some chemistry going.

Steph still is our best player and most likely will continue to be until we trade him for someone better. The man has done everything Larry has asked of him. I agree that Larry shoulda let Steph loose to win some more games, but we gotta look at the big picture here. Larry is trying to make a team, not just win a couple of games.

As for Isiah, the fan got a garbage team when he got here. He traded everybody from that team and got this bunch that we have now. OK, we ain't perfect but we sure have alot more talent than we did before. Plus Isiah's plan was to stock up in talent so that he would have enough pieces to make a big move, to bring a superstar to NY. Now all we gotta do is sit back and wait. We got some talent, a few expiring contracts....hey you never know, maybe Garnett will still be traded.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Isiah has made some very suspicious moves, in my opinion. Malik Rose's contract is shameful! Taylor's contract is as well but at least it had less years, but still was a shameful trade. Getting rid of Kieth VanHorn, in my opinion, was the dumbest thing he did as the Kincks GM! The KVH/Marbury combo was starting to click and we were actually wining and he pulled of the TT trade and we have never recovered from that! Why did he get rid of him??? Because Kieth wasn't his guy??? That is putting pride over the teams success! Now, we have the largest payroll in the NBA and the most mediocre talent in the NBA! If the Knicks want to get on the wining trail, they need to get rid of Steph, QR, Taylor, Malik Rose and JJ. They need to do this either through trades or contracts exipring. I don't want to see them trade these guys for more garbage either. If we can only get garbage back, then hold on and let the contracts run out.

Blumatic

Rotation player
hometheaterguy said:
Isiah has made some very suspicious moves, in my opinion. Malik Rose's contract is shameful! Taylor's contract is as well but at least it had less years, but still was a shameful trade. Getting rid of Kieth VanHorn, in my opinion, was the dumbest thing he did as the Kincks GM! The KVH/Marbury combo was starting to click and we were actually wining and he pulled of the TT trade and we have never recovered from that! Why did he get rid of him??? Because Kieth wasn't his guy??? That is putting pride over the teams success! Now, we have the largest payroll in the NBA and the most mediocre talent in the NBA! If the Knicks want to get on the wining trail, they need to get rid of Steph, QR, Taylor, Malik Rose and JJ. They need to do this either through trades or contracts exipring. I don't want to see them trade these guys for more garbage either. If we can only get garbage back, then hold on and let the contracts run out.

The Malik Rose and Talor trade is hal of the story. It made no sense, we got more power forwards, enlarged our salary and to cap space off the other teams in the deal. Ahh but Malik rose came with a draft pick that eventually became...David Lee.

Kurt Thomas got Q!! and Nate Robinson.