Why would we trade Penny Hardaway?

i dont get it? he has a 15 million dollar contract thats expiring and he sucks. Why cant we just let him go and sign a big time free agent with the money?

Trading him doesnt seem to make much sense to me. The knicks should get under the cap and sign a couple of big names like Peja and Ben Wallace (moving to power forward). And then just dump all of our huge ass salaries.

We could have a Starting lineup like this

PF-Channing Frye
PG- Jalen Rose
SG-Stephon Marbuary
PF-Ben Wallace
C- Eddy Curry

Yes we are having 3 centers in their sometimes. Because we need to Rebound the god damn ball and play some D. Rose and Marbaury can shoot the ball as well. Crawford, Ariza, and Richardson on the bench as well.

Am i wrong or would that not kick ass as a team that could be a contender?????

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
frye is way too slow to play the 3 and is going to take a while b4 the knicks could get under the salary cap, especially for ben and peja

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Waldwick04 said:
i dont get it? he has a 15 million dollar contract thats expiring and he sucks. Why cant we just let him go and sign a big time free agent with the money?

Trading him doesnt seem to make much sense to me. The knicks should get under the cap and sign a couple of big names like Peja and Ben Wallace (moving to power forward). And then just dump all of our huge ass salaries.

We could have a Starting lineup like this

PF-Channing Frye
PG- Jalen Rose
SG-Stephon Marbuary
PF-Ben Wallace
C- Eddy Curry

Yes we are having 3 centers in their sometimes. Because we need to Rebound the god damn ball and play some D. Rose and Marbaury can shoot the ball as well. Crawford, Ariza, and Richardson on the bench as well.

Am i wrong or would that not kick ass as a team that could be a contender?????

You don't understand the salray cap. The knicks are like 50 mill over the cap. If we let Penny's contract expire, we would still be like 35 mil over the cap. So letting his cotract expire only saves us luxery tax money (which is dollar for dollar over the cap). Also, the knicks have sooo many contracts that are long term so we won't be able to sign anyone for years. So, we need to use his contract to trade for another high priced, multi year contract that someone else is trying to unload; like Martin or Odem. We might have to sweeten the pot with a young guy, since they are both talented players, not just mediocre players with enormous contracts like the rest of the Knicks squad.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Once over the cap, teams cannot sign FREE-AGENTS to NEW contracts other than the Mid-Level, Low-Level or Veterans Exception. So if we let Penny's $14.5MM expire then the only players that we can sign are those players willing to take $5.5MM, $2.5MM or $1MM per year. And obviously there are no GOOD free agents willing to sign long-term contracts that only pay them at most $5.5MM per year.

That's why it makes more sense to trade his max-$$ type contract for players whose contracts are of equal value.