Official Draft Thread

How many picks will we have on draft day?

• More than two

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still have two

• Less than two

• Total voters

NYKnicks15

Starter
With draft day ONLY 99 days away haha, I figure it's time to talk about our two draft choices in the first round. As of now we have the 23rd (Denver) and 29th (San Antonio) picks of the draft. No second rounders.

You have to look at our weaknesses and in being realistic realize this is actually a pretty strong draft. It's depth is strangely deep. The first lotter picks are always good to have but it seems you cant even be sure about the ones projected to go that early..

To my knowledge we need a pure PG and a SF. You say we have a lot of guards yes I know. But with Francis, Marbury, JC, Q at least one being shipped out you can expect we'll draft a Larry type Guard..

I think in the offseason we mite make some moves to where we dont have both of these picks. But as of now. I can see us drafting Illinois Dee Brown with one of them (probably the 23rd). I'd like to see Gerry McNamara be a Knick but I doubt that will happen.

Any early thoughts on the draft? I know it's early but give it a try...

portega1968

El Cacique
NBADraft.net projects G-Mac late in the second round, so if the Knicks want him he'll probably be available when they pick. Of course, I believe he won't reach the second round... IMO he'll most probably be taken in the 1st round.

Not too many defensive PGs in this draft, which seems loaded with scoring guards (something we have in excess). Larry may prefer someone like Daniel Gibson out of Texas who is being compared to Chauncey Billups.

There are a ton of undersized PFs, so I'm really hoping we don't make that mistake again.

There is also a lack of decent SFs in this draft beyond the lottery spots and this is a position where we need to improve. Marcus Vinicius out of Brazil would be a nice player at that spot, although he needs to up his D. But at 6'9" with his offensive skills, I'd be willing to take a shot at him.

I suspect there will be a trade on draft night where we might package both picks to move up on the board and grab Mardy Collins, Marcus Williams or maybe even Rodney Cardney or Patrick O'Bryant.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I'm not excited about this year’s draft! If you are looking for a shooting guard, this is a good draft because there is an abundance of shooting guards (in all shapes and sizes) as well as the aforementioned undersized power forwards. This just might be the year to trade picks for a somewhat proven player. See if Atlanta is interested in a sign and trade for Harrington (say to match Taylor’s contract) and throw in Denver’s pick… Hell, throw in both #1 picks if it gets Atlanta to play ball! This years draft does not help the Knicks, not at the positions(s) they are at! Trading up for a 3 is not the answer either, I would much rather have Harrington so I would push Atlanta hard for the deal.

NYKnicks15

Starter
One player that is interesting the Knicks is LSU's Tyrus Thomas. 6'9 PowerForward who would compliment Eddy Curry very well. They would certainly need to move up and if a trade for Al Harrington happens maybe that Marbs or Francis and a pick or two for Harrington and atlantas pick could make a lot more sense.

Thomas is what the knicks need so to speak. a banger on the inside. 12 ppg 9 rpg. 3 bpg. and is actually a very good passer.

i wouldnt mind this at all. and if Isiah could somehow get Al Harrington and Tyrus Thomas in fellow swoop. I'd actually be very pleased with him.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
If Isaiah can move up to the #4 overall pick, then we may have to cut him some slack on some of his other questionable moves. I think either Tyrus Thomas or Rodney Carney would be an instant upgrade to our roster. Getting our hands on either one of these players would be great.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/rodneycarney.asp

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/tyrusthomas.asp

If the NY Post article is true, and Brown really did give his vote of confidence for Tyrus Thomas, what does that say about Channing Frye. I thought we were grooming him to be our long-term PF. Bringing in a player like Thomas would instantly create a position battle.

NYKnicks15

Starter
not necessarily. the knicks were going to try to acquire a bruiser/banger for the PF in the offseason anyhow. to compliment Curry. You would have a rotation in the PF/C spot that will most likely not include Maurice Taylor or Jerome James. So you have..

Curry, Butler
Frye, Thomas, Lee.

Frye would be in a three man rotation with Curry and Thomas. Lee to be the back up and Butler getting selected minutes.

portega1968

El Cacique
NBADraft.net predicts Tyrus Thomas as the #1 pick to Chicago (now why the fuck didn't Isiah protect that pick!!!... I'm sure he would've gotten Curry anyway; guess he didn't see this debacle possible). So, I think there is no way we're getting Tyrus.

I do see a trade with Atlanta very possible; hopefully a three-way with Boston, with Harrington going to the Celtics, Francis and the 2NY first-rounders going to Atlanta and Pierce plus the Hawks' pick coming to NY). That would put us in a nice position to grab Adam Morrison or Rudy Gay.

In addition, Marbury to Minny for their pick plus waiveable trash would allow us to draft Ronnie Brewer (6'7" SG who can play PG and is an excellent defender).

I also believe Mike James will be a Knicks next year.

Bottom line?

PG - Mike James
SG - Paul Pierce
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Channing Frye
C - Eddy Curry

Backups:
Jamal Crawford
QRich
Ronnie Brewer
Nate Robinson
David Lee
Jackie Butler
Jerome James
Malik Rose
Qyntel Woods
Jalen Rose
Maurice Taylor

In sum, our weakest points would be vastly improved (defense by our backcourt and a potential superstar at SF) and we'd still have the three rookies plus Taylor's and Jalen's contracts to improve at PF if it comes to that.

portega1968

El Cacique
CNNSI has a mock draft speculating the Raps will go for Andrea Bargnani.

They also speculate the Knicks would grab Villanova's Kyle Lowry with the 20th pick and Florida State's Alexander Johnson at the 29th spot.

Hopefully, the Knicks can trade up. These guys don't seem to be impact players, although Lowry can provide some defense in the backcourt.

I think this mock draft is worth mocking.

portega1968

El Cacique
Draftexpress.com has some nice info that you won't find on nbadraft.net.

I'm telling you guys, that Chinese kid (Sun Yue) looks like a ton of potential in the backcourt... we maybe should be looking to land a pick in the second round and get that guy and groom him for a couple of years.

From a business point of view, a Chinese superstar would be huge at MSG.

NYKnicks15

Starter
with only 3 days left until the draft it looks like our picks are set. excluding the possibility of the draft order getting changed due to trades of some kind. from what i hear, it seems as though we will draft...

20th Shawne Williams
29th Josh Boone

a SF and a shotblocking C/PF.
two needs? YES
my picks? YES
good picks? well seeeee, your thoughts?

The 1 and Only said:
2 Words....Saer Sene

I thought I was the only one who wants Sene...Given the fact that the Knicks have no inside defensive presence, an abundance of guards, and Curry excelled when he had a guy next to him whose only concern blocking shots and rebounding (Chandler), I agree. While I like Butler, Curry, and Frye, neither are going to guard the goal the way we need them to in order to be a serious contender (and please cut james ASAP). After watching Dalembert and Mourning change games with their defensive presence, this is the pick that makes most sense. He is a high character guy so shots will mean nothing to him and he will improve. I saw him play in one of the high school all star games and he was swatting shots left and right. DO THE RIGHT THING ZEKE!

Name:Saer Sene
Height:7' 0"
Weight:237 pounds
Current Team:RBC Verviers-Pepinster , International

NBA Position:C
Date of Birth:5/12/1986 (20 Years Old)
High School:
Hometown:Senegal
Earliest Draft Class:2005
Current Position:C
Possible Positions:C
Best Case Scenario:Samuel Dalembert
Worst Case Scenario:Mamadou N'Diaye
Profile Written By:Jonathan Givony
Last Updated:6/16/2006

Strengths:
Sene is a physical specimen in the truest sense, with the type of attributes that would put him in a rare class in the NBA right off the bat. Standing 7 feet tall, he has terrific size for the center position, with a 7’8.5’’ wingspan that will make him the longest player in the league. Sene isn’t particularly bulky at this point in time, but his frame is good enough to lead you to believe that he’ll put on all weight he’ll ever need in his upper and lower body.

In terms of athletic ability, Sene passes the test as well. He is quick off his feet and has a terrific second bounce after his initial vertical leap. He has excellent footspeed and overall quickness, and runs the floor extremely well for a player his size.

Offensively, Sene is a massive target in the paint and is the type of player who you can potentially just throw the ball in the general direction of and let him go get it. He won’t always be able to catch it at this point in his development curve, but it’s impressive to see just how much potential he has as a target around the rim, particularly when running the floor in transition. If he does manage to catch the ball in a favorable position, his size, length and the quickness in which he gets off his feet usually do the rest, as he’s able to stick it the ball in the basket emphatically while barely leaving the ground. Watching him on film, he’s often able to avoid the initial challenge in the air from his defender and dunk the ball while already well on his way down, just before landing on his feet. If he has time to gather himself after catching the ball in the post, he shows some sparks of a raw jump-hook shot he can utilize.

Defensively is where Sene is probably the most attractive. His length alone already makes him a force as a shot-blocking threat, but the raw timing he shows leaves even more room for optimism in his potential as a game changer in the paint. Sene recovers extremely well and is quick to get over and challenge slashers that dare enter the paint. His nimble feet allow him to stay in front of players much smaller than him with his lateral quickness and force them into some extremely difficult shots high off the glass over his outstretched arms. For every blocked shot that he comes up with, he alters countless other just with his mere presence and the intimidation factor he establishes early on. With Sene manning the post, opposing guards need to bring it strong into the paint, or they will most likely be denied. A part of his game that really shows just how freakishly long he is when being posted up. On numerous occasions on film we’d see Sene stripping his man clean while being posted up on a one on one back to the basket play. When the post-entry pass comes, Sene can just stick his long arm out and around his man from behind and deflect the ball free.

More reasons for optimism are left when watching just how hard he works on this end, as Sene is anything but a lazy player and has no problem mixing things up and getting dirty in the paint. It’s not rare to see him hit the deck for a loose ball. Effort never seems to be an issue with him.

Much of what makes Sene so intriguing as a shot-blocking presence is also what impresses with his rebounding potential. Sene’s size, length and athleticism are always on full display in this part of his game, as is the tenacity in which he works the glass. He fights for every rebound and enjoys a lot of success here almost solely off his physical attributes, bouncing off the ground repeatedly in the post trying to get his hands on loose balls, going after long rebounds with his tremendous reach and being fairly effective on the offensive end as well to get 2nd opportunities or easy baskets for his team.

In terms of his upside, there is absolutely no doubt that Sene’s ceiling is just about as high as anyone in this draft due to his incredible physical attributes. Consistent reports from people that have worked with him, including his coaching staff at Belgium, say that his work ethic and personality are terrific and that he’s very hungry and motivated to become the best basketball player that he can possibly become. Seeing the way he works out on the court, it’s hard to dispute that. Sene has improved quite over the past few years according to unbiased professionals in the basketball world who have followed him, coached him and watched him in person, and should continue to improve over the next few years.

Weaknesses:
Sene is probably one of the more raw first round prospects we’ve evaluated in the past few years. Playing for a middle of the road team in the semi-underrated Belgian league, his numbers are unimpressive at best. His minutes were extremely inconsistent and the only part of his stat-sheet that really jumps out at you are his rebounding numbers, with 5 rebounds in just 12 minutes per game. There is little doubt that he is a long-term project who will demand plenty of work and patience from whichever coaching staff that ends up landing him.

Offensively, Sene is extremely limited, as most of his damage comes within five feet of the basket. His footwork is virtually non-existent and he lacks any type of go-to move he can use to score in one on one situations. Most of his points come off drive and dish situations, in transition or through his work on the offensive glass. When attempting to do more, Sene displays poor touch as he tries to just throw the ball in the basket rather than use a polished move to caress it in. When he gets to the free throw line, his mechanics here look very poor, with a bad hitch at the very end of his shot, and it’s not rare at all to see him miss both attempts. He shot just 14-38 from the free throw line this past season, or 36%.

As you would expect from someone who has only been playing the game for a few years, Sene’s fundamentals are well below average for a player his age. He sets poor screens for example, and does not do a good job boxing out for rebounds.

From a physical standpoint, Sene has plenty of work to do as well beyond the raw explosiveness he shows. He is fairly awkward making short, quick movements, and lacks the coordination at this point to fully take advantage of his rare tools. It’s not rare for example to see him get in the way of one of his teammates as they go up for a rebound or slash to the basket, as his feel for the game just isn’t there at this stage in his development. He lacks great balance and it’s not unusual to see him knocked to the ground or being out of position. Sene still has work to do on his lower body strength, as he struggles both establishing position in the post (regardless of whether he has the skills to do something after doing so) as well as holding his spot on the block.

The most noticeable thing that comes from watching him is the fact that the game just moves too fast for him right now. More often than not, you’ll see the ball bobbled or bounced off his hands when trying to catch a rebound or catch a post-entry pass. Sometimes he’ll be able to come away with it after the first catch attempt, but this is one of the reasons that his teammates are often hesitant to throw him the ball even when he looks to be in great position to make a play. He will have to improve his hand-eye coordination considerably to be able to make the impact that his potential says he should in the NBA.

Something that we don’t have a great handle on at all and will be strictly up to the teams to attempt to evaluate is his age. Birth certificates are not kept in Senegal and there really is no way to estimate just how old he might be since he’s only been on the radar for a few years. There really isn’t anything concrete to go off of in this case besides the fact that almost all African prospects in the past were suspected to be older than their listed age, but this is something that could legitimately affect how much upside he is perceived to have if deemed an issue for concern.

Competition:
Sene has reportedly only been playing basketball for slightly over two years. In February of 2004, his current Senegalese/French agent Bouna N’Diyae traveled back to his native country of Senegal with one of his scouts to sign the player they hoped would pan out as a worthy investment after 3-4 years. He was placed at the SEED academy in Thies, Senegal, founded by Dallas Mavericks Director of Scouting and African basketball expert Amadou Fall.

From there he was sent to work out for NBA scouts in June of 2004 at the Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy, and according to reports was laughed at for how raw and uncoordinated he was. He then went to play in the 2nd Division of Belgium, and put up excellent numbers there. Thinking that he was at least 3-4 years away, Sene signed a 4 year contract in May of 2005 with Belgian Charleoi, who currently play in the ULEB Cup. Sene was then loaned to Verviers Pepinster for the current season, where he has struggled to get minutes for one reason or another. In two of the four occasions that he received over 17 minutes in a single game, Sene twice notched double-doubles (10 points, 11 rebounds and 10 points, 14 rebounds in 17 and 20 minutes respectively). On the season, Sene averaged 4 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1 block in 12 minutes per game. His coming out party in the States was in the week leading up to the Nike Hoop Summit in Memphis as well as the actual game itself, where he captivated scouts during the practices and had an excellent game against some top high schoolers with 15 points (6-8 FG), 6 rebounds, and 9 blocks in 27 minutes.

Outlook:
Sene reportedly has 3 years left on his contract, but has a clear buyout sum of $425,000 this year or $375,000 next year should he decide to stay another season in Europe. He will almost certainly stay in the draft and is considered a likely first round pick with a more than decent chance of slipping into the top 20. Teams like Phoenix, Utah and Sacramento reportedly have the most interest in him.

portega1968

El Cacique
Sene will be gone before the 20th pick.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Isiah make a trade to move up in this draft. Would he do it to grab Sene, or go even higher to grab Gay, Tyrus, Roy...

If he stays put, he's definitely grabbing Shawne Williams at the 20th and maybe even go after Marcus Vinicius with the 29th. I doubt he's goinf after Josh Boone.

He's also looking at Maurice Ager, Rajon Rondo, Hilton Armstrong, Mardy Collins... all of them will be excellent role players.

I wouldn't be surprised if he trades down to go after Hassan Adams... that kid can play and doesn't belong in the second round.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
i doubt isiah is gonna go after boone also because we are overloaded with pf's as it is. i think if shawne williams is still around by 20 then we take him. with the 29th i say we either grab pj tucker or the brazilian guy, vinicus. depending on how many guards isiah is planning to deal this offseason would depict whether we grab a good backup sg in tucker or if we grab another sf with vinicius...

portega1968

El Cacique
Most mock drafts agree that Isiah is going after Shawne Williams at the 20th spot.

CNNSI has the Knicks picking Kevin Pittsnoggle at 29... i would be very surprised if Isiah goes after this kid because his game is identical to Channing Frye... I'd ratehr see him grab Vinicius or Hassan Adams.

portega1968

El Cacique
Hassan Adams' profile in nbadraft.net (similar to the profile on draftexpress.com) is copied below... it seems his size for the 3spot is really not an issue because of his wingspan and leaping ability.

Strengths: One of the top athletes in college basketball...An absolute freak of nature...Explodes off the floor with his unreal vertical leap...Arguably the best dunker in the nation...Excels at the acrobatic play...Best in the nation at the “weakside rebound putback” slam...Exceptional rebounder for his size...Plays much bigger than his 6'4" frame...Has worked hard at becoming more than “just a dunker”...Great at filling in the blanks (tipping passes, taking charges, etc.)...Solid in the clutch...Remarkably strong build, which helps him absorb contact and finish near the rim...Plays with high intensity...The phrase “heart and soul of his team” appear in many of his bios...Has all the physical tools to be a shut-down defender...Terrific in the open court...Long arms...Above average ball handler...Hard worker...Great teammate...Phenomenal stamina...Never appears to be breathing hard...Very coachable...Considerable upside.

Weaknesses: Has no real NBA position...At 6'4", will most likely be an undersized 2-guard, but his skills translate more to the small forward position...Like most players at this level with his physical tools, he relies too much on his athleticism to make plays...Often jumps straight up for rebounds instead of boxing out...Reaches too much on defense instead of moving his feet (which is especially problematic because he has the lateral foot-speed to stay in front of his man)...Lets his man take too many open jumpers... Occasional lapses in concentration...Doesn’t have the necessary range to consistently hit the NBA 3-pointer...Has seen a sharp dropoff in production from his sophomore to his junior season (his scoring is down 5 points, his rebounds down 2, his blocked shots down one, and his shooting percentage down 9%)...Could stand to improve his free throw percentage...Always gives people the feeling that he should be better than he is...Streaky scorer...Needs to regain his assertiveness from his stellar sophomore season.

Notes: Named California’s “Mr. Basketball” after his senior year at Weschester High School in Los Angeles...Named to the Pac-10 “Honorable Mention” team his sophomore season.

OK, this is what I liked:

1. He's a senior out of Arizona just like Channing Frye, so that tells me he's been coached nicely.

2. I like the "heart and soul of the team" reference... another Nate!!!

3. Arguably the best dunker in the nation.

4. The best in the nation with the weakside putback slam... memories of Marcus Camby, or at leats Trevor Ariza, jejjejeje

5. Has all the physical tools to be a shutdown defender.

A recent disorderly conduct charge has him low on the draft board, but this guy would be a monster in the open court if the Knicks and Isiah go with the run-and-gun offense next year. Along with Shawne Williams, our SF spot would be solid.