KnicksOverhaul Plan A-"Win Now"

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro: Here is the first of two possible plans I could see happening for the Knicks. Eventhough I think we should fire everyone and rebuild, here's what i think could happen if we wanted to build a contender right away.
1. Keep Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas
2. Trade Stephon Marbury to Minnesota for their lottery pick. Include a throw in player such as Richardson and take back a bad contract if necessary, as long as it is no more than 2 years.
3. Package the pick with an expiring contract and trade it to the Clippers for Corey Maggette, (probably Jalen Rose). Maggette may be available.
Jason Richardson might also be available for GS.
4. Sign Mike James to the mid-level exception.
5. Do sign and trade with Atlanta for Al harrington. Include Mo Taylor and Steve Francis. I'd even consider taking Tyronne Lue
Possible starting lineup
PG Mike James
SG Corey maggette
SF Al Harrington
PF Channing Frye
C Eddie Curry
bench
PG Nate Robinson
SG Jamal Crawford
SF Qyntel Woods
PF David Lee
C Jackie Butler/ Jerome James
I picked Mike James and Al harrington because theyexpressed interest in New York and are coming off of bad teams. Also rumors of maggette being dealt.
We don't add a physical rebounder with the new lineup, but we do improve our perimeter defense. I think Harrington can be had in a sign and trade and the Hawks need another shooter. In order for this to work though, Frye has to develop into a more physical presence, Curry has to lose weight and Jerome James has to do the same. The bigger backcourt would help our big men become better shotblockers...Lemme know what y'all think...

paris401

Starter
sounds like u are hoping that the hawks and the wolves g.m.'s are bigger idiots then our gm... i don't think that is the case...

but here's hoping u are right... :hoops:

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro:
If Garnett is serious about wanting Marbury and does not want to go through a rebuilding project, and their GM wants to keep Garnett and believes re-uniting the two along with having Ricky Davis in the backcourt would make them contenders- then parting with their lottery pick that is projected to be in the 8-10 range in a draft that has no superstars to me does not sound like a stupid move. Who could they get in the draft that would convince Garnett to stay? And as far as Atlanta, they have no real PG except for Tyronne Lue and they need shooting, plus they wouldn't mind seeing Harrington go because they want to develop Marvin Williams. Mo Taylor is an expring contract they could use as trade bait next season, and would give them depth at PF. Francis would provide outside shooting and move Joe Johnson to his more natural position. I don't think those moves are idiotic at all, but again; I'm a Knicks fan.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
I agree with the furious one, that these trades are possible. If Glen Taylor is really up to his word about not trading KG, then taking Marbury may be a logical move for them, especially with all the speculation out there about their desired reunion. But it would be virtually impossible to add any other player in the deal b/c Marbury has max type contract. Minny would have to package several players just to get it done. If a trade goes down, I wouldn't be surprised to see another team involved.

A sign & trade with ATL is also a likely possibility. Harrington is going to be a FA looking for a max-type deal. ATL already has money & 'time' committed to similar type players. A sign and trade could work out if ATL doesn't want to let Harrington go w/o getting anything in return. Ideally they'd probably want Marbury b/c of his ties to the region and that he's the better of the two PG's, but unless they would consider throwing in their lottery pick (unprotected) I think NY should only do it for Francis.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Just read that if Minny's pick falls out of the Top 10, they have to ship it out. Not sure to who, but I think it may have to go to Boston as part of the Szczerbiak package.

mike james and corey magette are the last two players we need. Right now we have Jamal playing like the Jamal we wanted him to for the last year and a bit. I think Larry CAN do a good job in bringing up Jamal to be a solid player.

Nate WILL take over the starting PG, just give him time.

Al is the only player worth even thinking about right now. The knicks have what it takes, they just have to figure out where they are going with this.

They don't need D they need to just play offence... haha, jk

hoop115

Benchwarmer
what do u guys think about the rumor of us considering Jay Williams. If he's fully recovered and can compete at the NBA level then I would be intrigued. His pedigree at Duke and what he was doing in the last few months of his rookie campaign before the accident make him a promising player.

btw...not sure anyone cares but Minny's pick goes to the Clips if it falls below 10. League office has advised Minny that they cannot bench KG for the remainder of the season.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I read the story that upper managment may be looking at J Will. I dont know if it's true and I'm not convenced that he will help us. I'm not for or against it. I think we need a proven pg. The point guard is the one guy that you want to be a veterine leader. I know this is reaching for the stars but Baron Davis is one of my favorites. I say do what we need to do to get him. Also right now Richardson and Crawford are both playing very well but if we are going for Al Harington then we dont need both of them. That is unless we can move Harington to PF, Richardson to SF and start Crawford at SG. This is a line up I'm all for.

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro: I like what Crawford is doing, the only problem I have with him is his size. I think we need a lockdown perimeter defender if we want to make noise, unless there is some dominating shotblocker available. But shotblockers are hard to come by these days, and we got 4 big men we can't really move right away. Mike james used to be a really good defender when he played with LB, I remember him getting into J Kidd's ass in the playoffs two years ago. J Will is an interesting option at PG, my only question is : is he at least 85% of the player he once was and can he play defense? Unless a franchise player is available out there, the only players we should add to this squad are ones that play D. Maggette is not known especially for his D, but he Is one of th most phjysical two guards in the league, and he gets to the line almost at will.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
First of all, why would we want maggette? He would be just one more of the long list of hot shot players that we have!! C'mon guys you've witness first hand what happens when you just load up a team with selfish scorers!! We need blue collar guys, guys that will bang down low!! f you are going to have Frances and/or Marbury in the back court, you need bangers up front. You need guys to dominate the boards so you can free up the outside. The Knicks need rebounders!!! The last thing the knicks need is another 6'5" scorer!! The wolves scenario is not so absurd. Garnett wants to work with Steph again so I say trade him but try to get Hudson and Griffith back (and another salary to match). Let them keep their #1. Harrington is not a bad option but sign and trades usually mean the team that is on the receiving end ususally gets stuck with taking back bacd contracts as well. So, if you do a sign and trade, it better be for a player that is worth all the payroll you would add (his and the various other contracts).

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
maggette would be a nice fit, he plays D and he's tough, knicks need pmore players like maggette...and maggette is not selfish