Job evaluation - Isiah Thomas - you're fired

mdelton

Rookie
Isiah,

Time for your performance reveiw. I comended you when you came in and traded a bunch of nuts and bolts for Stephon Marbury. You got rid of what were previoulsy untradeable contracts and players no one wanted (Ward, Eisley, Marcel Lampe - who has turned out to be a bust, and the rights to that awesome point guard from europe who has remined in Europe). Great move becasue despite everyone's bitching and moaing, Steph is much better than what we had before at the point.

But with that said, we have to talkabout a few of your other moves.

The Van Horn Trade and getting Thomas and Mohammed, good trade, but where are those players now. Youe traded Thomas in the Curry deal, I can accept that because hey if you are going to take a gamble do it on a big man like Curry. so far it has not panned out, but, I still would take that gamble.

Trading away Nazr Mohammed? Bad move. Malik who we got in return is ok, but he is undersized and while Nazr was inconsistent he was a serviceable big man. I know that the trade landed us a draft pick that turned into David Lee so not too bad, but it has not really improved us.

Jerome James for 6 years - what the hell are you thinking?!?!?! The guy could be the poster boy for hostess twinkees. Yes he has potential, but if potential were a drug Isiah, you would be in rehab.

Kurt Thomas for Q? Why, I like Q's game but he has back problems bad ones and a much longer contract.

Antonio Davis for Jalen Rose - again, what the hell are you thinking. Sure Jalen can spread the floor, but he plays no D and you know that he and LArry never got along.

and the final one Penny for Francis - are you out of your mind? If there is a carbon copy of Marbury in the league, Francis is it.

As Donald Trump would say - you're fired!

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
u got to understand that jerome james was a desperate move because believe it or not jerome james was the best center in da market...and the Q for kurt thomas was a good move but not great and the reason u said its bad is not good...yes Q got back problems but kurt thomas has ankle problems and Q is the only swingman on da knicks who plays D...malik rose is kinda like kurt thomas wit no offense

NYKnicks15

Starter
i have to say i do support Isiah. at least he has ppl talking about this team. we actually have stars and a reason to buzz. do you remember when Layden was here? in the dying years? no one could careless bout the Knicks. Othella Harrington? Howard Eisley? WHOO what an exciting team man.

listen fact is. Nazr for Malik Rose wasnt a GREAT move. but it was good. hows Nazr doing in San Antonio? hes no presence. and Malik is the only one who puts up a fight on the team. in ADDITION if we never did that trade we wouldnt have DAVID LEE. so tell me. would you rather have Malik Rose & David Lee. Or Nazr Mohammed? in addition to another draft pick this year?

and in the Q situation its exactly the same. would you rather have Kurt Thomas & Dijon Thompson or Q & Nate Robinson? lets think about that.

some moves seem faulty and im not sure he has a plan. but at least hes doing something. at the end of this year we will have Anderson, Williams, Houston, Taylor and Rose all coming off the books. im not sure well not trade rose or taylor for contracts but still. we have all our draft picks after this season. 2 first rounders this year. a plethra of talent. and a good coach. we just need a roster to fit that..

AND this summer youll be happy to have Isiah when Jermaine O'Neal pushes to come here to be reunited with his buddy Isiah. and we have the options to send Indy for him. then youll be happy when Al Harrington picks to do a sign and trade to come to NY because his bestfriend Jermaine O'Neal is in NY... im not saying that is DEFINITELY going to happen. and it mite be wishful thinking. BUT i think having Isiah at GM has a lot of added bonuses..

fire him? nah give him to trade deadline then well make an opinion of substance.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
So far, Isiah has not shown us that he has a plan. Is he rebuilding or not?He seems to take in any big name stars, no matter how bad their contracts are. Every team needs role players, and all he has done is built a team full of one dimensional players.

Right, Marbury is better than what we had before this point, but that doesn't make it a good move. Its all about creating a team that could win championships. Can you win a championship with Marbury? I don't think so. As for Kurt for Q, the Knicks should never have resigned Kurt to that contract and isn't Nazr starting for the Spurs?

If Isiah cannot do anything by the deadline, I would definitely fire him. Despite having all this talent, we still have the leagues highest payroll and the second worse record with players that many nba analysts say are immovable. In the end, the Knicks will be unable to get rid of any players except the expiring contracts of Taylor and Rose and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up taking in more "Steve Francis" players with bad contracts that nobody wants but with lots of talent. I also see the Knicks not making the playoffs next season and Dolan still believing in Isiah. The Knicks are screwed until we have a new owner or Dolan gets some intelligence.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
This is good to see. Reasonable posting from knowledgable fans. This season as we all know has been a miserable failure, still Isiah has done a decent job of asymboling a competitive line up. Although they didn't really compete. But that is because of a number of factors. No matter what the paper say, you dont change the line up 40 damn times like Larry Brown did. It causes confusion and discomfort among the players. Some would say well Thomas should have known that Larry would change the line up 40 times and bash his players in the media. Last I checked a GM job was not that of a fortune teller but I could be wrong. It's like being a weather forcaster. Some times you say it's going to be sunny and it rains. We expected alot of things that didnt' happen. We expected Jerome James to be our starting center and contend. We expected Eddie Curry to be dominate as a center or even better, PF with a strong James. We expected Richardson to not be a flop the entire season. But none of our expectations panned out. Although most of ny believe Thomas should be fired I disagree. I disagree because I dont believe any one else in the leage could do a better job of this mess. The only other option would be to trade away every one for low cost trash players and suck for the next 5 yrs with no hope of making the playoffs and virtually becoming the old Clippers. We all know that NY can't stomach that. From a PR standpoint Isiah did a heck of a job getting media coverage. Siging James then Curry, Richardson and Larry Brown got all the buzz and sold tickets. That's what a GM is suppose to do. So I'd say at this point no one should really be fired but Brown is on the top of my list of those that should be "encouraged" to resign.

mdelton

Rookie
Follow-up to; Isiah - you're fired

I liked some of the comments this sparked. The truth is that when things go bad in any organization it is natural to want to find someone to blame. You could call it contributory negligence on the part of many.

Let's start at the top. We all know that is MSG sells out, the knicks make so much money that being over the cap means nothing. However, Dolan should at least have some knowledge of the game, if Isiah got off the reservation and made some bad moves - Dolan is partly to blame for not say no now and then.

Net onto Isiah, he mad some bad trades, sometimes he made trades just to make trades. One fan commented who around the league would do a better job. Well I don't know, but I am not sure one could do worse. Isiah gets some of the blame.

Larry Brown, I love Larry Brown he is a proven winner, however, if I have to pin more blame in one spot, it would be on Larry. I don't care how right you are, you don't publically humiliate people - they will not want to work for you. While Larry is a good teacher, he is a poor communicator when things get tough, he does it through the press. there is a rule of leadership, praise publically, punish privately, say what you need to to Marbury, but don't humiliate him. I will put some of the blame on Marbury in just a minute, but Larry could have handled it much better. You don't berate a player publically, you talk to him one on one and challenege him. you say to someone like Jerome James, "you have all of this talent, you've not got your money, you can ride out your contract and go down in memory as a lousy player who never lived up to his potetnial, or you can be rememebered as something much better - but it is going to take work..... I
Larry changed the linuep far too many times, and did not communicatw well with his players about what he was thinking.

Stephon - you behaved like a child, as much as Larry is to blame, you never get the fact that one of things that makes a great player is that they make the players around them better. Stephon - you are as talented as anyone - but you have never got that last point.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
isiah = bad gm.

larry = bad coach.

UNLOAD THE ROSTER AND START FRESH.

the lakers prolly want some supporting cast for kobe to get them to a championship level team.

steve francis for brian grant and a 2007 1st and 2nd rd pick

t wolves might be interested in reuniting marbury and garnett.

marbury/crawford + cash for mccants/griffin/jaric/hudson and 2007 1st rd pick

w/ denver:

eddy curry/jjames /qrich for kmart/nene/patterson

ok that cleans up some mess.

the big contract we'd have on the roster would be KMart, and im ok with that.

one or two yrs in the lottery, and we'd right back in it.

watch.

and maybe we could lebron.

mdelton

Rookie
Bye Bye Isiah, we are getting a new GM

Isiah Thomas was one of the best players ever, he is charismatic, and one hell of a salesman. How else could he keep Dolan thinking that he could possibly turn this thing around. While Isiah did inherit a mess, almost tow years later the mess known as the NY Knicks is worse than Iraq.
Time for Dolan to wake up and realize that Isiah has been selling him a bill of goods, Isiah HAS NO PLAN. Dolan should get a new GM go after Kiki Vandeweghe. He may be the lowest paid GM in the league and has done a great job cleaning up Denver. They were a team with bloated contracts and such as McDyess, Van Excel and LaFrentz, and they were losing. He got rid of them, tore the team down and rebuilt them into a solid playoff team.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
i totally agree with "a knick fan"...we need to unload the roster and start anew. we are not one player away from a championship. not even kevin garnett can bring us into title contention. fire isiah, hire a good gm like kiki, and build a team with a good core group like the bulls.

metrocard

Legend
i totally agree with "a knick fan"...we need to unload the roster and start anew. we are not one player away from a championship. not even kevin garnett can bring us into title contention. fire isiah, hire a good gm like kiki, and build a team with a good core group like the bulls.

Good prediction.