What would your lineup be?

mdelton

Rookie
The biggest criticsim of Larry Brown is his constant changing of lineups. If you are the coach, what is your lineup based on the players we have right now?

Here is mine;

5 - Jackie Butler - we need to sign this guy, he was our most consistent center toward the end of the season. If Curry wants the job he has got to earn it.

4 - Channing Frye - I wish he played inside more, however, he needs to minutes to develop

3 - David Lee, I could go with either Lee or Qyntel Woods, I like em' both, both have their weaknesses. However, Lee is a pass first guy, he works well without the ball, he is also a good rebounder which helps take up for Frye's lack of rebounding. He also is not turnover prone and makes good decisions with the ball.

2 - Marbury - this was something discussed all season, let him play offense instead of running the offense.

1 - Jamal Crawford - I did not think of him as a point, however, toward the end of the year he did a good job running the offense.

this lineup puts three scorers on the floor (Crawford, Marbury and Frye)

Off the bench I go with Curry in the middle, Malik at the 4, Qyntel at the 3
and Francis at the 1 or two. I like having the offensive punch of Curry and Francis off the bench.

What is your lineup and why?

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Right now, Jackie Butler cannot defend and David Lee doesn't seem to have the quickness and agility to keep up with and defend most small forwards. Crawford and Marbury are too small or too weak to defend most shooting guards. However, due to our crappy roster, the only changes I would make to your lineup is make Qyntel Woods at the 3 and Jerome James at the 5 if he keeps his promise to be in shape next season.

mdelton

Rookie
Jackie Butler may not be a great defender, but he is much better defending than either James or Curry.

I completely agree that Lee has trouble defending the 3. I only note that in the six games in a row the Knicks won, he started all six.

On the guards, I don't have a solution. If you played Crawford at point and Marbury at the 2 offesnviely, they could switch defensively where Crawford is taller and better abel to defend a 2 guard.

As for James, if he gets in shape - diffenret story, however, base on his history I would be shocked if he was in good shape. Hey if Curry gets in Shape and drops 40 pounds he could be a completely different player.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
5- Curry. legit center with enough skills to get it done on the offensive end. huge question mark on his ability to defend next season, it ultimatly comes down to his conditioning.

4- malik. gets it done on the defensive end and does all the intagibles. he understands that he does not have to score to impact the game. he works hard and leads by example to the bench and other players

3- jalen. u can defintily rely on him for offense. hes a vet and understands how to play the game really well, shooting, spacing, etc. like many other players in the knicks a big question mark on defense for next season.

2. q-rich. really tough decision. should crawford start? or q? q has really lost confidence in his shot but compensated with really good defense. i'd take that anyday but cmon he won the 3 pt contest for god sakes he should be making them in all day.

1. marbury. really really really tough decision. will marbury even last till next season? bottom line is, hes a better pg than crawford and can score at will. just needs to get healthier and keep the drama with brown away

5-curry. he's our best offensive big man.

4-frye. He can become an integral part of this franchise over the next few years as long as we hold on to him. So that means he needs to be on the floor learning the game.

3-richardson. kid's got that shot that is just money. yeah he's underacheiving, but who on this team isn't?

2-Francis. He's steve fuckin francis for god's sake. let's not forget this guy can straight up ball. He was called the franchise for a reason. He and stephon need to spend alot of time together learning each other's game though. the closer our guards get, the better.

1-marbury (barring a trade) i think stephon needs to go, but if he's here, he has to start. Our best player, one of only two guys in history to average 20 and 8. (the other being the Big O) if you look at the old pistons teams thomas and dumars shared point duties, maybe isiah should show his two all-star guards how he did it with his backcourt mate.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
speedofdark said:
5-curry. he's our best offensive big man.

4-frye. He can become an integral part of this franchise over the next few years as long as we hold on to him. So that means he needs to be on the floor learning the game.

3-richardson. kid's got that shot that is just money. yeah he's underacheiving, but who on this team isn't?

2-Francis. He's steve f****n francis for god's sake. let's not forget this guy can straight up ball. He was called the franchise for a reason. He and stephon need to spend alot of time together learning each other's game though. the closer our guards get, the better.

1-marbury (barring a trade) i think stephon needs to go, but if he's here, he has to start. Our best player, one of only two guys in history to average 20 and 8. (the other being the Big O) if you look at the old pistons teams thomas and dumars shared point duties, maybe isiah should show his two all-star guards how he did it with his backcourt mate.

i agree the i would have steph and stevie practicin all summer 2gether. we could have one of the most exciting back courts in the league. but then again with larry brown making decisions it will ever happen...

portega1968

El Cacique
Stevie + Stephon = No Defense

Stevie + Stephon = Career Night for Opposing Guards

Stevie + Stephon = 1st pick in 2007 draft

Channing Frye has ZERO potential in the post. He looked extremely awkward when he tried to post up this season. He has a great shot when facinh the basket and an excellent attitude, but just doesn't cut it as a starter. Let's trade him while he has value.

I don't think our current team has any chance of being competitive, but to answer the question, my lineup with this band of underachievers would be:

PG - Jamal Crawford
SG - Q-Rich
SF - Qyntel Woods
PF - David Lee
C - Eddy Curry

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
the only thing i agree with u about is what u said about channing frye. we should trade him while his value is up. he isnt a low post presence. but he does have that mid range j down pat. and hes good to have because it will force opposing big men to guard him awy from the basket which will open up the middle. and that is exactly what stephon and steve could use. they have to be able to play the game they know how to play. and thats penetrating the lane and either forcing a double team and kicking it out to the open man or going strong to the hole. we need a good coach who can utilize the talent that we have and turn it into a winning team. stephon can play good defense, watch some games and maybe u would know that. not a person on this team played with any heart. thats what caused the lack of defense and the massive amounts of turnovers.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
His value will be up for years to come. Remember Frye is a rookie. He's only now one season deep in the league. We should keep Frye as a back up. He'd be a great addition of the bench, backing up a guy like Rashard Lewis.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
damn, if u get paid 17-20 million for the next 3 years and can't play with heart, i would not want a player like that on my team.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
if i was a 67 year old man making $$$50 million within the next 5 years and i didn't accomplish shit this year, i would find a way to get someone new to lead the team. he couldnt even decide on a starting line-up. and @ the end of the season he comes up with malik (the ass kisser) rose and benchs' steve francis for lil nate robinson while marbury is injured. that was his line-up? come on now. the guy needs to do a lil research on the guys he has and maybe then he'll make us better. until then keep blaiming stephon.

i find it funny because its most of you people in puerto rico and germany and other countries or states that keep sayin marbury has to go. how the hell r u even knicks fans? how the hell do u get to watch games there? if u guys think sub'n marbury for a mike james is gonna make us better im gonna laugh when the team cant even make it to 20 wins.

portega1968

El Cacique
SXMARBURY516, it seems you believe that one must reside in NYC to be a knowledgeable Knick fan. Allow me to debate your post without you taking it personally please. This forum is for entertainment purposes and my comments shouldn't be construed as being offensive.

We're gonna have to start questioning your maturity and IQ my friend if you don't stop making shortsighted comments such as how the hell we watch Knick games outside of the USA. FYI: I have the Dish Network with the MSG Network and NBATV, so I've watched Stephon get burned on D almost every single night!!!

Have you ever been outside of NYC? We do have paved roads and Mickey D's in this banana republic my friend. Do you even know where Germany and Puerto Rico are on a map?

I was born in 1968 in Brookdale Hospital and lived in the Bronx and East New York until I was 15 and my family moved back to Puerto Rico. I've been a Yankee and Knick fan since my kindergarten years at P.S. 108. Were you even born then? If being a New Yorker is a requirement to know what I'm talking about when commenting on my Knicks, would that be enough for you? After reading your 40something messages, I can assume your opinion is no, so your response is not required.

Starting Mike James instead of Marbury won't solve our woes, but at least it should improve our defense of opposing guards. That would have to be coupled with changes at the three and four spot if we really want to get back to the playoffs.

I totally agree with you on Larry Brown, but I definitely don't think he or any other coach can do something with this current team... they just don't have sufficient defensive skills. They do have tons of talented players who need the ball in their hands to be effective. They also have a point guard who has proven ineffective after a decade playing for 4 teams. That's a formula for grabbing the top draft pick year after year.

I beg you to be objective and open to other people's opinions. And since we're all Knick fans, which makes us all sort of kindred spirits, I wish you the best always!!!

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
believe me portega, im not being offensive @ all. sorry if u thought i was. i know this is for entertainment purposes. honestly this helps my day @ work go a lil faster. u've made a lot of valid points which i do agree with. stephon isnt the best defensive guard in the league, thats 4 sh*t sure. but i didnt see much of a defensive effort from anyone on the team. so i think its wrong to single him out and say hes gotta go because he has no defense. we have 2 point guards on our roster who a couple of years ago were 2 of the top 5 best point guards in the league. things shouldnt be the way they are. come summer time the 1st thing we should focus on is shipping out steve francis for a consistant big man or pf.

once again sorry if u took my words the wrong way, but i find one of the best things about a forum is the debates. best of luck 2 ya...

ps- puerto rico is southeast of florida and germany is in europe ;)

portega1968

El Cacique
And the assist goes to mapquest.com... jajaja

We may not agree on Steph's fate and part in this mess, but at least we agree on using Stevie to land a PF.

Props 2 ya' bro'... peace!!!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
What's up with all this apologetic stuff. You guys getting all diplomatic and what not. Man nearly a year ago I was fighting wars in this forum. But seriously it's good to see mutual respect. Moving on. I'm not for moving Marbury here's why.
When Marbury scores more than he passes, which is a must being that no one else on this squad can score. When he does this Brown and others say "He's not being a floor general. Implying that he needs to pass first. When he passes first and they lose Brown and others say "He's not being aggressive enough." So it's a double edged sword. Marbury's not the problem. The problem is our best PF is a rookie and best SG is a PG.

jimkcchief88

All Star
My starting five for next year would be:

pg- Nate Robinson
sg- Jamal Crawford
sf- Q-rich
pf- Channing Frye
center- Eddie Curry

Marbury needs to go asap and as much as I like Stevie Franchise' talent, he doesn't seem coachable. We have to start playing the young guys consistenly, and this lineup leaves plenty of flexibilty off the bench to go big or small as the needs arise.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
jimkcchief88 said:
My starting five for next year would be:

pg- Nate Robinson
sg- Jamal Crawford
sf- Q-rich
pf- Channing Frye
center- Eddie Curry

Marbury needs to go asap and as much as I like Stevie Franchise' talent, he doesn't seem coachable. We have to start playing the young guys consistenly, and this lineup leaves plenty of flexibilty off the bench to go big or small as the needs arise.

thats a good lineup, it could bring us from the 2nd worst team in the league right into dead last.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
donchris said:
I'm not for moving Marbury here's why.
When Marbury scores more than he passes, which is a must being that no one else on this squad can score. When he does this Brown and others say "He's not being a floor general. Implying that he needs to pass first. When he passes first and they lose Brown and others say "He's not being aggressive enough." So it's a double edged sword. Marbury's not the problem. The problem is our best PF is a rookie and best SG is a PG.

i agree 110%