Who would you rather have?

• Theo Ratliff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kenyon Martin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NYKnicks15

Starter
Part of Larry's list has been revealed. It is well known that larry wants a PF that can step in beside Eddy Curry and gather rebounds, bang and block. And three have been revealed. Theo Ratliff.. Kenyon Martin.. Alonzo Mourning.

Mourning would be the cheapest only having to use part of our MLE. or possibly the veteran minimum. His kidney doctors are in NY but thats the thing. HIS KIDNEY DOCTORS ARE IN NY. He is getting up there in age and is injury prone. he had a solid season off the bench this season and could do all things Larry wants. He also loves Larry to add.

Theo will have two years left on his 11.3 million a year contract. hes not much of a scoring threat but is considered the best shot blocker in the league. also has played for larry in the past.

and last but not least in Kenyon Martin. who has a big deal left and achy knees. knees that were never allowed to heal. and thats why he is pissed in Denver. they rag on him for not playing well or being frustrated and criticized by Karl when the truth is he was misdiagnosed just so he could come back early. with the right amount of rest. he could be fine.. but for how long? hes exactly what the knicks need. a blocker. scorer. hard hitting banger with attitude and heart. but at what price? Denver would probably want expiring contracts (we have two). Maybe if they take a contract back itll be worth it. Portland, Golden State could also be takers.

question is.. which "banger" would you rather have???

even though its a risk... id go with Kenyon Martin.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
I think Mourning would be the best bet. Up until his injury he was actually having a very good season. He isn't the same intimidating force that he was 5yrs ago, but he is still dominant in the paint. Mourning may be willing to play for the veterans minimum and more importantly on a yearly contract.

Ratliff WAS considered the best shot blocker in the league. His chronic knee ailments have seriously debilitated his abilities. He would still be better than Curry, Frye, James & Butler defensively...but if it were between Mourning & Ratliff, I would chose Mourning hands down.

Martin's HUGE contract, deteriorating athletic abilities and BAD attitude are a serious turn-off. Karl & Brown are Smith disciples and are from the same coaching mold. If Martin is having problems with Karl, you could only imagine how things would turn out with Brown who is older and alot less compromising.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
all 3 of them would be a risk. but then again all 3 of those big men could help us tremendously. i would try for k-mart 1st. back in his days with the nets he was turning himself into one of the leagues most dominant big men. then he's knees started acting up and now all u can do is wonder if his game will ever be the same again.

portega1968

El Cacique
Where's the "none of the above" option?

The questions marks next to these guys are just the type of thing we need to be looking at for a change.

I'd rather go after Jermaine O'Neal at PF to complement Curry, bring in Rashard Lewis at the three spot, Paul Pierce at SG and Mike James at PG. With the two picks, Steph, Francis, Jalen, MoTaylor and our rookies, we should have the assets to get this done.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Actually K-mart would be the best bet because it will allow us to dump some dumb contracts that we have as well -

We can dump Jerome James' $5mil for 6yrs
or maybe Malik's $7.5 mil for 3 yrs
or Q's contract

Most likely it will be Jerome James'

I would think it would be Mo ($9mil) and James ($5mil) for K-mart ($13mil)

Denver would get $9mil instant cap relief (Mo's expiring contract) and well they would be stuck with James but hey at least it's better than having K-mart on the sidelines not playing and getting paid $13mil for the next 4 years.

I also think that K-mart is young enough for his knees to recover. From now til November will be about 7mths. I think that rest would be helpful to his knees.

I don't think Zo is going to leave Miami for more money. It's not about the money for him. He loves Miami and knows that he has a MUCH better chance at winning a C with Shaq over there.

Ratliff - please stay away from that dinosaur....he is TOO old, not even close to player he was when larry coached him.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
portega ur not being realistic @ all. its obvious that u think we need to trade almost all of our starting 5 to get some wins. i dont agree @ all. one thing i do agree with u about is the jermaine o'neil deal. he deft could be that missing link the knicks need to have a turnaround. even if it takes shipping out channing frye in the deal it is still worth it.

portega1968

El Cacique
Thinking we can become a winning team with Stephon is what really seems unrealistic to me at this point.

Yeah, you may say he's the only one since the Big O to average 20 and 8, but the fact remains most of his assists come on pick-and-rolls and he still hasn't proved he can make those around him better. I think it's time we let him go and let some other NY player like Mike James return us to the promised land.

Anyways, my point in this specific thread was that none of those three bangers would make a real difference. Alonzo and Theo would only be quick fixes and eventually just add to the underperforming, overpaid image we have. Kmart's knees are such a big question mark that I would just stay away from him despite the fact he's such a good PF.

I'd rather target Jermaine O'Neal or some other bangers that are also available (although some are restricted FA) like Chris Wilcox, Drew Gooden, Przybilla, Nazr Mohammed or Reggie Evans.

timnakhla

Rookie
When I picture the perfect "realistic" NY kind of team I see:
Curry/Butler/James
KG/Frye
Artest/Lee/QW
QR/Crawford
Marbury/Mike James

Now those three guys in bold can be had for:
Nate, Taylor, francis, Rose & Picks

NYKnicks15

Starter
lets stick to topic here guys..
and portega the reason your lineup is unrealistic is because you belive we can get O'Neal, Pierce, Lewis and James?! thats unrealistic. furthermore to believe that that squid could win us a championship is even more. thats a bunch of guys all who need touches. thats our problem now. too many touch players and not enough role players.

but back on topic. O'Neal would be a great choice. but we'd need to offer a good amount. and im sick of ppl sayin that wont take francis or marbury etc. you dont know what they want. they are looking for a shift in roster. to try something new. so who knows.

id go for Kenyon Martin tho. we have a lot to offer and most likely they can take a contract off our hands. I think Trinn Star has the best and more REALISTIC idea.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
We dont need more injury prone players that have open disputes with coaches. Besides the fact that Keynon's contract will further put us in the hole. The idea of trading all of our assets for one or two guys isn't rebuilding. This is why I am not in favor of trading for Garnett Oneal or Martin. The most realistic trades would be for

Reshard Lewis
Speedy Claxton
Al Harington
Mike James

Trade Bait:

Any and everyone on our line up outside of Channing Frye David Lee Eddy Curry Malik Rose Stephon Marbury.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
donchris said:
We dont need more injury prone players that have open disputes with coaches. Besides the fact that Keynon's contract will further put us in the hole. The idea of trading all of our assets for one or two guys isn't rebuilding. This is why I am not in favor of trading for Garnett Oneal or Martin. The most realistic trades would be for

Reshard Lewis
Speedy Claxton
Al Harington
Mike James

Trade Bait:

Any and everyone on our line up outside of Channing Frye David Lee Eddy Curry Malik Rose Stephon Marbury.

i like dat but i like nate too but dont need em wit mike james or speedy

NYKnicks15

Starter
i wasnt under the impression that Maurice taylor and Jerome James were considered "all our assets". are they considered any assets? fact of the matter is Kenyon Martin is not just frustrated with Karl hes frustrated with the organization who makes him seem like trash or a rebel when that mite hold very little substance. he is mad that Karl doesnt respect him and others in Denver for NOT letting him heal. he was misdiagnosed by denvers medical staff and he came back early to help them.

give him the rest. i think itll be 7 months if he doesnt play a game until next season. and hell be fine. hes young and can overcome this. McDyess did and hes what 6-7 years older?

he never had problems with the coaches in NJ. and i think he wont have a problem here. he mite not be my top option but out of these three he definitely is

After seeing K-mart be suspended for two playoff games you can pretty much stamp his ticket to NY. Isiah will offer some contracts and he's headed in.

He's very talented, but he's injury prone, possesses a bad contract, and a bad attitude. He'll fit right in on this team.

as for O'neal, i don't think isiah and larry bird are going to sit down and work the deal out. indiana has a very good shot at moving past new jersey, which would definitely have an impact on o'neal's future with the team.

What about these AI for stephon marbury trade rumors that have been going around? thoughts?