What would it take to get "The Big Ticket"

mdelton

Rookie
What would it cost to get the “Big Ticket”?

Let me say up front that I do not think Garnett is really available, I do not see MN trading him because if they do, that franchise is down the tubes. I think it is more likely that MN tries to get Francis or Marbury or some other star type player because that is the only way they can be a competitive playoff team and therefore sell tickets. Without another star option to play alongside Garnett, MN is destined for another year like this one (they only won 33 games).

However, if Garnett were really available, what would it cost? The following is a pipedream. The only way MN might deal him is a scenario in which they could cut payroll significantly by not only getting rid of Garnett, but other bad contracts along with him as well. So if they were serious about trading Garnett they would want to send his salary $20MM and going up for the next three years to NY along with one or two other bad contracts (Ricky Davis 6MM per for 2 more years, Marko Jaric $6MM and going up for the next 5 years, or Mark Blount $6MM and going up for the next 4 years or Troy Hudson $5MM per for the next four years). By the way, when you think Mark Blount, think Jerome James.

Sure they could send Garnett, Blount and Davis to NY for Mo Taylor and Jalen Rose’s expiring deals, along with Jamal Crawford, Channing Frye and some first round draft choices for the next few years. That is what I think it would cost NY. Under that scenario after next season, that would lower MN’s payroll by about $23MM. They would have a backcourt of Crawford, Hudson, with Frye up front and they would be far enough under the cap to sign one or more free agents. Under that scenario the Knicks might be able to get Garnett.

More likely - I it is more likely that MN goes after a player like Marbury or Francis they might taken either one for a combo or Blount, Davis and Jaric. They dump three bad contracts, and get one good player.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I think it's whatever KG wants, hell get. and if he wants to join Marbs in NY he will. if he wants Marbs to join him in MN Isiah will do that too. i think isiah has a good stance on this. meaning if KG says he wants to come here MN wont make it difficult. and if KG wants Marbs there they wont stick us with crap we dont want.

but i believe mdelton you are quite wrong on one piece. Minnesota wont give up Ricky Davis WITH Kevin Garnett. That's insane. and to say 2 years 6 mill is a bad contract thats also insane. i think thats wishful thinking. Ricky has been their only breath of fresh air the last couple of months. to get KG itll be a mix of expiring contracts, picks and quality players. Steve Francis, 2 draft picks and Jackie Butler. Possibly with Maurice Taylor to force us to take a bad contract like Hudsons.

and on another note.. i wouldnt say Marcus Blount=Jerome James. maybe contract wise.. but 11ppg almost 5rpg. only 3-4 fpg. and one assist with almost one block... thats not anywhere near how horrible JJ is..

mdelton

Rookie
Ricky Davis

I want to make a point, and it is not about Ricky Davis coming to NY, becasue this whole thing was a pipe dream about Garnett and what it would cost, meaning, what other contracts would we have to take on.

I will agree with you that Ricky Davis' contract @ $6MM per for two more years is not horrible, but, and this is a big BUT, Ricky has and always will be a cancer. Great player, horrible attitude.

NYKnicks15

Starter
that's odd. I mean I understand the concept of "once a cheater always a cheater" etc etc. that concept by the way is usually conjured up by large woman who watch too much Maury.. BACK ON TRACK.. Since Boston I thought he was doing pretty well. There were no reports or benchings that would prove he was a cancer. and in Minnesota so far he has been praised. I understand where you are coming from.. but if they are going to take in Steve Francis or Stephon Marbury wouldnt you say that attitude isnt a big concern of theirs? ..people change sometimes.

mdelton

Rookie
More thoughts on Ricky and Attitude

I have to say that I have not heard any reports of problems coming out of MN, I am basing it off the problems he had in Boston and Cleveland before that.

I am not sso sure that attitude is always a big concern for Isiah. I think he tries to get the absoluste best player in every deal. I think he should be more concerned with attitude. Unfortunatley, people/players don't usually change their stripes. Most players are less likely to do so than normal individuals becasue almost everyone of them grew up being put on a pedistal and their basketball world in HS and even in college often revolved around them, so going to the pro's and having to check you ego at the door and even take a lesser role than you are used to for the sake of the team is a very hard thing to get many of these guys to do.

In the sales industry we say it this way, "you can't train what you did not hire". I have had excellent sales people who had real attitude problems. And as talented as they are, they cause disruption in your organization, and you spend a lot of time and effort trying to put out the fires from the problems they caused. Some never get the fact that they are part of the organization, they are not the organization. This is absolutely true in every single company/organization out there. The best players do not win, the best team wins. If you do not start with players of good attitude, don't think you can change the attitude of the ones you have.

But this is a big concern for the Knicks is to bring in not just talented players, but players with the right attitude that buy into Brown's system and approach. Heck even if Brown is not around, a cocahces job is very difficult when he has to constantly coach attitude and effort. People can criticize LArry all they want, but the only players I saw out this year consistently putting out effort on the defensive end were; Malik Rose, Channing Frye, David Lee, Nate Robinson, Jackie Butler, Qyntel Woods, Jamal Crawford.