Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Daily News] Knicks Buying Out Larry?

Default [Daily News] Knicks Buying Out Larry?

Gar~den chairman James Dolan apparently has started the process of ending Larry Brown's dream job after one season.
    According to sources, Dolan, upset over Brown's record and the coach's public criticism of his players, is considering buying out the final four years of Brown's contract, worth at least $40 million.

The Knicks declined to comment, and would neither confirm nor deny one published report that already is naming Knicks president Isiah Thomas as Brown's successor. Brown has indicated that he will not resign, but if Thomas takes over, the Knicks would avoid having to pay another coach upwards of $5 million annually.

Thomas, who coached the Pacers from 2000-2003 but never got them out of the first round of the playoffs, is said to be amenable to coaching the Knicks, one source told the Daily News.

Knicks brass has not met with Brown since the end of the 23-59 season, according to sources, perhaps another indication of Dolan's dissatisfaction with the Hall of Fame coach. According to a team official, Brown has requested a meeting with Dolan but Thomas has told Brown there is no reason for him to meet with the club's owner.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Lurker

Are you kidding me???!!! This organization needs to be burned down NOW!!! Thomas is horrible and his coaching skills are just as worse. The players he has, excpet ofr a small few, do not want to be coached by anybody!!! You have a Hall of fame coach who tells it like it is. If those poor spoiled millionaires do not like it thne chuck them!!! Getting rid of Brown is no where near a solution and is one of the worst and will go down as one of the worst moves in franchise history!!!

yes!!!!!!!

this is exactly why we keep losing. we have no patience. if somethign doesnt work in a year, we abandon it. thing is, there is no one person to blame, is a whole chock full of people to blame. and who is a better coach, brown or thomas? thomas messes up the roster now he has a chance to mess up how we play (as if we had a style of play btw). the thought of locking this guy up for 6 yrs and 40m bucks and letting him go after one year is stupid

i'll tell u this much, the knicks wont abandon isiah like they did to larry

Default HA HA HA ... I can use good laugh !!!

Originally Posted by datruth
    yes!!!!!!!
    You and just a few too many others like you are among the dumbest bunch of bastards on the planet out there posing as "Knick fans". (Posers being the key word here). HEY !! ... I'm ALL for seeing the Isiah Thomas Three Ring Circus come to town. BRING IT THE 'F' ON. In this final "we're clueless with nothing left we can do" Thomas inspired sack of **** showdown, He will finally have no one left to hide behind and no one else to blame. This is put up or shut up time. I CAN HARDLY WAIT !! LOL. Someone please get me a bag of popcorn!! This would truly be THE Greatest Show on Earth at the Garden next year fo shizl my nizels! True “Knick fans” (something entirely different then you bunch of sorry ass Isiah Thomas nutsack lickers) can only hope that when he does (and he will) fall flat on his face in plain public sight, that maybe just maybe Dolan will extract his head from Thomas’ crotch as well and run his sorry ass out of town like he should have done a LONG LONG time ago, like before he hired him. Actually, I suspect that Dolan is not giving Thomas an ultimatum here, nor should he, in making him coach this 'dream team’ of his making. Dolan can only hope that this prideful remorseless ******* will fail so miserably that he'll resign so Dolan can get rid him while thinking he’ll save some face, which is just not possible at this stage of the game. The only thing we can ask of Thomas then is that he'll take the rest of you suck up retards with him back under the rock that you all live under.

Trin-Starr pedicted this would happen!!! lol

Good bye Larry Clown

Veteran

Does this mean it will happen? no.
    but should it? yes.
    im not a fan of Marbury to the point where I will pick him over Larry. in fact i think larry is the best coach in the NBA. BUT his ways wont work with our roster. any other we would have won many games. do i think if we keep larry wed be winning in two more years (and essembling his roster)? YES. BUT what happens after his four years and we have his lame roster?

im fond of Isiah. and i think the players will listen to him. but i dont think he is the best choice. but is better than larry in this role.

no matter what, the roster will need moves. Francis or Marbury needs to go to get a SF. Harrrington and O'Neal are very very fond of Isiah. and who knows. this mite be the ticket we needed to landing one or both of them. Harrington more so.

how bout the idea of swapping positions? that is plausible, gives larry control of a team and assembles what he wants, and the players might actually listen to thomas when playing. just a thought

Originally Posted by NYKnicks15
    Does this mean it will happen? no.
    but should it? yes.
    im not a fan of Marbury to the point where I will pick him over Larry. in fact i think larry is the best coach in the NBA. BUT his ways wont work with our roster. any other we would have won many games. do i think if we keep larry wed be winning in two more years (and essembling his roster)? YES. BUT what happens after his four years and we have his lame roster?

im fond of Isiah. and i think the players will listen to him. but i dont think he is the best choice. but is better than larry in this role.

no matter what, the roster will need moves. Francis or Marbury needs to go to get a SF. Harrrington and O'Neal are very very fond of Isiah. and who knows. this mite be the ticket we needed to landing one or both of them. Harrington more so.
    thank u

Veteran

I like Isiah, but I think this is a ego thing. He's been wanting to back on the bench since he was chased out of Indiana. This will not be good for this team. I can imagine a starting backcourt of Starbury and Franchise with stat lines like 7-40 combined with 4 assists and losing every night by 25. Isiah doesn't have the coaching pedigree of a Pat Riley to build a team and coach at the same time. Hope this report is not true or I see trouble ahead.

u guys think what u want... me personally would be thrilled to see isiah take over. he's on espn's top 10 greatest point guards ever. the guy knows the game. he brought in a lot of talent and then a good coach (but not the right coach 4 the team) now its on him to make it mesh. if this does happen i bet u anything the knicks will be destined to make the playoffs.

I'll be sad to see Larry Brown go, if this story is true. I believe Larry Brown on his resume alone deserves another year or 2 or even 3 to get the Knicks turned around. This is just ego stroking by Thomas.

Veteran

i dont understand this ego striking talk.
    isiah hired Larry for four years. not one.
    Dolan wants Larry gone. Isiah is not trying to fire Larry. Dolan is.

I wont defend Isiah all the time but how is he striking his own ego? wouldnt you say Dolan is? and the only reason he is. is because then hell save money on hiring a new coach if Larry is bought out

Won't the Knicks look awkwardly stupid signing Brown for a multi-tear contract, making him the highes payed coach in NBA and then giving up on him after just one year?