Ideal Knicks 2006-2007 Roster (within reason!)

Center - Eddy Curry
Power Forward - Channing Frye
Small Forward - Rudy Gay
Shooting Guard - Jalen Rose
Point Guard - Marcus Williams

Reserves -
Jamal Crawford
Quentin Richardson
Josh Boone
Nate Robinson
David Lee
Jackie Butler

portega1968

El Cacique
Within reason? Now how the fuck we're gonna get Rudy Gay, Marcus Williams and Josh Boone?

It's obvious you're thinking of dealing Francis, Marbury, Taylor and Malik... but that would not result in three first rounders. At least indicate what trades you're assuming.

Without a trade, all we have is two picks in the 20's, which may land us Boone. The only way to move up and contend for Gay and Williams is through a trade, which probably means those lower pick will be gone. So I kinda see it impossible to be able to have three picks in the first round, especially two in the top 10.

Furthermore, there is already another thread about this subject.

WOW

wit the 20th pick knicks have to pick richard roby from colorado/k mart's half bro. he plays wit heart.............adn he has super scoring ability

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
Die Dolan Die said:
Center - Eddy Curry
Small Forward - Rudy Gay
Shooting Guard - Jalen Rose
Point Guard - Marcus Williams

Reserves -
Jamal Crawford
Quentin Richardson
Josh Boone
Nate Robinson
David Lee
Jackie Butler

who is this larry brown? because once again u would have crawford starting on the bench and realize 3/4 thru the season that jamal belongs as a starter. with the starting line-up you have the knicks wouldnt even win 20 games. thank God ur not the one making desicions for the team.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
rudy gay and marcus williams fall to us? unreasonable. rose and francis will most probably gone before season starts which leaves pg duties mainly to steph and crawford. i see marbury and crawford and q starting. crawford and marbury are obviously offensive threats and q has an unmatched drive to win. either frye or malik should get the starting 4 and curry is a given. as for reserves, we wait for now on the rookies we aqcuire and hopefully we sign some role players via f.a instead of high paid scrubs *cough* jerome *cough*

Sorry! I submitted my fantasy roster without giving it a good once over. I thought I had taken R. Gay out.

How about this scenario instead:

Trades -
1) Steve Francis to Atlanta for a No. 2 pick (33rd overall) this year and a No. 1 pick in 2007.
2) Stephon Marbury to Toronto for PG Alvin Williams, a No. 2 pick (35th overall) this year and a No 1 pick in 2007.
3) Quentin Richardson and Toronto's No. 2 pick to Denver for Rueben Patterson.

Center - Eddy Curry
Small Forward - Rueben Patterson (trade w/Denver)
Shooting Guard - Jamal Crawford
Point Guard - Nate Robinson

Reserves -
Jalen Rose
David Lee
Josh Boone (29th pick)
Kyle Lowry (20th pick)
Leon Powe (33rd pick from Atlanta)
Jackie Butler
Jerome James

**J. Boone and K. Lowry are L. Brown type guys. Both hustle and play well on the defensive end. Powe is a banger on the boards with some upside.

Cut the following players and eat their contracts:
Alvin Williams - 2 years, 13.65 million
Malik Rose - 2 years, $13.7 million
Maurice Taylor - 1 year, $9.75 million
Qyntel Woods - not signed

This would set us up pretty good for 2007 and 2008.

Trading S. Francis and S. Marbury would clear $44.76 million this year alone.
*Note: I got this number by adding Francis 2006/07 salary with Marbury's and subtracting A. Williams 2006/07 salary.

Alan Houston (still on the books), Shandon Anderson (still on the books) R. Patterson, Jalen Rose and M. Taylor's contracts, $63.1 million total this year, would come off the books at the end of the 2006/07 season.

Malik Rose and Alvin Williams contracts would clear about $13.65 million in space after the 2007/08 season.

The team definately wouldn't make the playoffs this year, but it would give us three No. 1 draft picks in 2007 and it would put us under the salary cap heading into the 2007/08 season and beyond.

The sad truth is I doubt any of the trade would happen. Even if teams wanted the players Isiah Thomas is offering, they know they can rape Isiah if they hold out long enough.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
thats one of the worst plans ive heard. give away the only 2 superstars we have on the team for some draft picks and alvin williams. then turn around and cut williams. it sounds like ur tryin 2 rape the knicks bro. then u wanna cut 3 other players. qyntel woods showed a lotta hustle last season and he makes next 2 nothin y should he go? mo taylor and malik rose do suck but y not use their soon expiring contracts as trade bait for players with potential. u seem so determined to cut the payroll but yet u didnt even mention jalen rose's large expiring contract. please someone else tell 'die dolan die' he's lost his freakin mind.

sxmarbury516 said:
thats one of the worst plans ive heard. give away the only 2 superstars we have on the team for some draft picks and alvin williams. then turn around and cut williams. it sounds like ur tryin 2 rape the knicks bro. then u wanna cut 3 other players. qyntel woods showed a lotta hustle last season and he makes next 2 nothin y should he go? mo taylor and malik rose do suck but y not use their soon expiring contracts as trade bait for players with potential. u seem so determined to cut the payroll but yet u didnt even mention jalen rose's large expiring contract. please someone else tell 'die dolan die' he's lost his freakin mind.

We don't need to trade expiring contracts for scrub players, we need to LET THEM EXPIRE! Then we get cap room.

Under the plan I outlined, the Knicks would get younger, better defensively and clear cap space to sign a superstar like LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony when their contracts expire.

The three 2007 No. 1 picks in that scenario (Knicks, Hawks, Raptors) gives us a shot at winning the 2007 lottery and a chance to draft Greg Oden, the best young player in the country. Now, that's a plan!

The Knicks would suck in 2006, but they'd finally have youth and flexibility to sign real superstars, not wannabees like S. Francis and S. Marbury.

AND

I did mention Rose's contract. I said we should let expire.

Alan Houston (still on the books), Shandon Anderson (still on the books) R. Patterson, Jalen Rose and M. Taylor's contracts, $63.1 million total this year, would come off the books at the end of the 2006/07 season.

AND

No. I have not lost my freakin' mind.

os2wiz

Rookie
sxmarbury516 said:

My plan is to trade Marbury for Minnesotas #6 draft pick in return we accept their garbage players who we release. We use that pick to get Marcus Williams of Connecticut. We trade Franchise for another first round pick and junk players we release. We use that pick with our other 2 to move up and get Josh Boone. We unload Jalen Rose and Taylor for a defensive role player or another first round pick and junk players.
Or we use all these picks and Taylor and Rose to make a deal with Sacramento for Ron Artest. I guarantee you if we can land Artest , and almost any trade other than Currie,Frye and Crawford is worth the sacrifice.
We enter a qualitativly new level with Artest as a starter. We can trade either Quintel Woods or QRich as part of a deal. Adding Artest and Marcus Williams puts the Knciks on the road to the playoffs next season.
I believe these are the type of players Larry Brown wants and our team needs.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
You dont trade away good players for doo doo! You suggested trading Francis for a draft pick when you could have suggested trading Fracis for Al Harrington, which by the way I am praying happens. Further more there aren't many teams breaking their backs tring to get Marbury. The post likes to joke about it but I think it's a good thing. We can keep Steph, move Francis and a few other slackers and bring in Harrington and may be Lewis.

portega1968

El Cacique
move up to get Josh Boone? we don't have to move up because he's projected to go in the 20s dude.

if we trade with minny, we might as well grab serviceable players (which you call garbage) like Marko Jaric and Eddie Griffin, both of which would help in covering our holes in the defense.

you talk about letting them go like if that didn't have consequences... when you let them go, that salary stays on our books. financially, you're demented.

I wish we had Artest, but let's be realistic... Sacramento isn't gonna trade this guy period. He turned around their season and they aren't gonna let him go at least until he starts making trouble. Artest will come to NYC when his deal expires.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Francis in a sign & trade for Harrington would be great if we could get it done.

Steph to Minny for package of players & a pick would never work out b/c Minny would have to give up too much just to make it work.

Steph is making a ton of money next season. To match up salaries, Minny would still need to include another player to make up the difference. The only player whose salary would be able to accomplish that is Blount. At that point, Minny would be giving us their two main big men, Jaric and their 1st round pick. I doubt Minny would take it w/o us giving a big man back, and since the numbers would have to work out, it would most likely have to be one of last years draft picks since they'll still be on the rookie wage scale. As much as I would like it to be Lee, I doubt they would include the #6 pick w/o us including Frye.

Marbury + Frye = Jaric, Griffin, Blount & #6 pick

Here's a few reason's why this deal sucks:
1. Jaric can play the point, but he DOES NOT play defense. He was injured half the season but never cracked the starting line-up afterwards b/c he can't play D.
2. As good as Griffin is defensively, he comes with a tremendous amount of baggage. He's kept it under wraps the past season, but I think that's only b/c Garnett owns Minny. KG is always up in everybody's grill. Who would fill that role on the Knicks?
3. In addition to the two picks we have this year, this trade would also add two more players on top. We would need to make room for four more players on our roster.
4. Marbury + Frye is WAY TOO much talent to give up to only get back 3 role players and the #6 pick.

portega1968

El Cacique
Hoop. I agree with you that Marbury and Frye is just too much talent to give away in a trade where we won't get back an established superstar.

I must differ however on your assessment of Jaric. His offense is pretty much inexistent, but I think he does have defensive skills, at least more than any of the Knicks current PGs.

How do you evaluate defense? Too bad I don't have a readily-available stat that says how much production any given player allows his opponent versus what he chips in. That would be a sound measure.

I believe rebounds and steals are an acceptable measure of defense, and as far as Jaric goes, he gets an acceptable amount of boards and steals.

Griffin led the NBA in blocks per 48 mins, and that's something we sorely need. Just like Artest and Qyntel Woods, he carries a payload, but nevertheless, we need to take chances on these guys... remember Eisley, Anderson and all those good guys that were brought here because of Dolan's policy on adding character? That didn't do much for us.

Role players are what this team needs right now and that 6th pick could mean Rudy Gay, Marcus Williams, Randy Foye and Brandon, all potential superstars.

FLipfacTion4LyfE

Benchwarmer
1- S. Marbury
2- S. Francis
3- J. Crawford
4- Channing Frye
5- Curry

as for trades i wanna see francis gone prolly for a big man and a draft pick

thats juss my 2 cents

rcr0412

Rookie
Center- Eddy Curry
PF Channing
SF Al Harrington
SG Crawford
PG Marbury (cant trade em)

Bench

Qrich
Jackie Butler
Jalen Rose
Nate
Lee

20th Pick - Boone
29th Pick - Mike Gansey (great shooter)

Be realistic.......

You cannot and will not trade Steph.... there is one reason why you will not..... He will play his AZZ off for Thomas and we all know it... it will be like having him in a contract year.....

you must and will trade Stevie Franchise and (dare I say it?) Nate Robinson ......lets also make it clear that Steve is not a better point guard than Marbury... and anyone who wants to debate that need to look up their career numbers. Postseason stats are meaningless in their careers since neither has truly made a dent. The only possible way to keep Steve is if he is playing the 2.. which by the way makes him seriously deficient on the defensive end - so much so, that he would not be able to compensate for it offensively. Therefore you MUST trade Steve. Since we are not in a position of power we have to take what we can get for him - and face it, it wouldnt be much. Minnesota is starved for a point, and I have no problem giving them Francis. It would be nice to pry the #6 pick. We have to take their crud, but I would insist on Jaric. Reason? We need a serviceable back up point. I dont want to hear about his shortcomings. Its obvious he has many otherwise he would be a star, and you dont trade stars. Therefore its a moot point.

Ultimately that leaves you with Jamal Crawford at the two. Let me add that he is just as undersized as Francis, but he does have extensive experience at the 2, and that other factor - He will play his AZZ off for Thomas as well. You guys need to remember who Thomas brought in and who will play hard for him. In two or three years Crawfords contract will become as asset. But since a championship is not being won within the next two years, Crawford is your best bet.

Jalen Rose is the only PURE 3 that we have. You wont trade him. You dont create a hole while trying to plug one. You leave yourself just as deficient. His contract too, will soon become an asset.

Does anyone really need me to convince them to keep Channing Frye? If so, you are clearly not a Knicks fan, 'nuff said.

Whether or not you think Eddie Curry will be a 14 and 7 guy forever or not, doesn't matter. He is better than what a lot of teams have plugging the middle. And it IS still possible that he can get better. Whether or not he does, remains to be seen. But, you dont trade him. You would be giving away youth. Let me also mention that he will ALSO play hard for Thomas.

So here is what we have:

PG: Stephon Marbury *
SG: Jamal Crawford *
SF: Jalen Rose
PF: Channing Frye
C: Eddie Curry *

Bench:
PG/SG: Marko Jaric - by way of Minnesota
SG: Quentin Richardson
SF/PF: David Lee
PF: Malik Rose
PF: Maurice Taylor
C: Jackie Butler
Swingman: Qyntel Woods - who frankly can be added as a throw in to any deal and it would not change the scope of the team.
#6 From Minny
#20 Draft picks - not a strong draft class so take your pick and hope for the best...

Cap space means nothing in the city of New York. As the contracts expire rest assured someone else will be obtained with just as a high a salary. The only thing we can hope is that the player coming in will actually be a help - instead of say a "Glen Rice" for example.

If you are thinking that I really have not changed much, then you are right... but next to some names you may have noticed an asterisk....and in that, you will see why its not necessary to change much. This team is much better than their record. A set rotation, and Larry's exit will add 7 wins off the top. Talent alone should have won more games. But if Thomas coaches as well as he should they should be at least a 45 win team. Thats not championship caliber and rings should not be expected within 3 years. But call me back in three years and see what we have at that point.

* Denotes player who will with almost certainty, play considerably harder for Thomas than anyone else.