The "Dunkadelic Era" In America, 1984-Present

The "Basketball and Hip-Hop" culture fusion of the past 22 years and beyond is being defined as The "Dunkadelic Era" In America, 1984-Present. The foundation for the culture fusion was created in the New York City playgrounds during the late 1960's where the game and R&B soul music was brought together by Julius "Dr. J" Erving . Dr. J was the smooth and cool hi-flyin' forward that coined the phrase "Bring the Soul to the Hole." Doc was also the man that revolutionized the Slam Dunk.

In Spring 1979 a new group out of New York called the "Sugarhill Gang" released a hit song from an new urban subculture music called Hip-Hop. "Rapper's Delight" was the first big rap song in American history. When the kids played basketball they would recite the lyrics to the pioneering song.

From 1979-84 a seed was planted in urban America that would develope into the birth of the "Basketball and Hip-Hop" culture that is now being called The "Dunkadelic Era" In America, 1984-Present. Dunkadelic is the term that is the fusion of "Basketball and Hip-Hop" inspired by the cultural aesthetics of urban style, fashion, and attitude.

The 5 following events in 1984 led to the birth of the "Dunkadelic Era" In America.

1. David Stern was announced as the 4th Commissioner of the NBA on February 1, 1984. Commissioner Stern has guided the NBA to it's global status around the world.

2. The NBA first introduced the Slam Dunk contest at the 1984 All-Star weekend gala. Larry Nance defeated the "Legend of Dunk" Julius "Dr. J" Erving in the final round to win the contest.

3. Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons form Def Jam records in 1984. Kurtis Blow the hip-hop pioneer releases the hit rap song "Basketball" off the "Ego Trip" album. Def Jam remains today the most recognized hip-hop label in the industry.

4. The "Fresh Fest" 27 stop tour featuring RUN-DMC, Whodini, Kurtis Blow, and the Fat Boys was the first major hip-hop concert tour in America. At the concerts the music, urban fashion, and latest sneakers were on showcase with the teenage kids and young adults.

5. Michael Jordan was the 3rd pick of the Chicago Bulls during the 1984 NBA Draft. Jordan signs with Nike to produce the "Air Jordans" sneakers that would become a fashion symbol with the hip-hop culture.

The "Dunkadelic Era" In America, 1984-Present

rady

Administrator
Staff member
dunkafella said:
In Spring 1979 a new group out of New York called the "Sugarhill Gang" released a hit song from an new urban subculture music called Hip-Hop. "Rapper's Delight" was the first big rap song in American history. When the kids played basketball they would recite the lyrics to the pioneering song.

So after school, i take a dip in the pool, which is really on the wall/
I got a color TV, so i can see, the Knicks play basketball

That's a great band and a great song, the first rap that made it in the top 20 i believe :)