Marbury: I want to die a Knick

rady

Administrator
Staff member
  • While Knicks captain Stephon Marbury declined to discuss the ongoing Larry Brown saga, the star point guard from Coney Island was very clear about his own future, saying he wants to "die a Knick."
    "I want to be a Knick, I want to die a Knick," Marbury told The Post in an exclusive Memorial-Day interview.

"If I ever was to be cremated, I'd want my ashes sprinkled on top of the Garden."

"Playing here has always been my dream," Marbury added. "I want to be in New York more than any place."

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/5142/marbury-says-no-trades-needed-for-great-team.html

Starks

Starter
Glad to hear Marbury feels the same way half of New York does. The whole part about him wanting to be dead that is. Sorry, that was a low blow, but everyone was thinking it, I just had to say it = )

Musa

Rookie
I hate him, he is talking a lot of bullshit. I honestly hope that he will be traded or released.

By the way Mr Starbury, let me tell you one think. Charlie Ward was not a Superstar but he did a good job. When he was in New York, we always reached the playoffs. Of course not because of only him (Ward) but the fact is we had a team.

Do you know the meaning of "team" or teamwork? I don`t think so. We all know that you are a fucking one man show. That`s not what we need.

I wish you (Starbury) the best, which is in your case leaving New York.

Kind Regards

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
According to the article and the stats Marbury averaged 22 pts 9 assits prior to being injured so it makes no sense to trade him let alone release him. There's an abundance of hatred towards this whole team in NY but what I've noticed about New York is most of the so-called fans are not really fans. That is unless you consider Star Jones a Knicks fan. They only watch during the play offs and a few big games here n there and when the team is losing, they cry out "I hate this guy, I hate that guy!" I dont mean to attack anybody here but does any one honestly think it makes sense to trade away our best player for nothing at all? Even with stats like 22pts 9asts? You may not like him but statisticly he is the Knicks best player.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yeah I'm not saying this as a fan of Marbury but of "reporting news" if you want to call it that. Marbury will not be going anywhere. Isiah and Dolan are both set on not trading him as they feel they will not get close to value for him AND would probably have to pickup several bad contracts to get rid of him. so expect him to die a knick.. granted he dies in three years haha jk.

um but Steve Francis on the other hand is as good as gone.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
lol u guys have some serious hate in ur heart. if u watched some of the games you would know he's not half as much a ball hog as the papers make him out to be. then again i cant even imagine them having artilcles on the knicks in the 'german times'. just because hes one of the few point guards around to have a career average of 20+ ppg doesnt make the guy a ball hog. he knows how 2 score. on top of that he knows how 2 pass the ball. u think otherwise, then just ask someone who really knows what they're talkin about.

as long as we get in a tough pf and get rid of brown this offseason the knicks will be back in the playoffs. maybe then, just maybe all u haterz will shut the f*ck up.

Trin_Starr

Starter
The issue is not Marbury
It's Larry Brown

here's what David Stern said about him back when he was coaching the olympic team
so don't come here and post that bull$hit...

Way back when, behind closed Detroit doors, Larry Brown was taking it to David Stern. He was ripping the NBA commissioner to Pistons officials because Stern had passed him a couple of times in Athens without acknowledging him.

Everyone knew Stern was furious with Brown for conduct unbecoming an Olympic coach, for publicly assailing his players and the selection committee who appointed them. In fact, Stern blew his own whistle on Brown at halftime of a Summer Games semifinal the Americans would predictably lose, the commissioner summoning reporters to finally go on the record with so many blistering off-the-record thoughts.

"This was a team that was put together by everyone," Stern barked, "including the coaching staff."

He was just getting started, just warming up with hard jabs to Brown's jaw before throwing a haymaker laced tight with all sorts of bad intentions.

"And this is a great team," Stern went on, "so I don't buy the, 'Well, I'd like to have this, I'd like to have that.' ... It's not about who didn't come. I'll tell you what, we're all in sports. You take your team to the gym and you play with what you've got and then you either win or you lose. And this whining and carping is not fair to the young men ... who are representing their country admirably and well."

A bloodied Brown was carried out of the ring right there. Stern was telling the writers and fans busy throwing all that stereotypical garbage the American players' way that their venom was best reserved for the Old School coach and not his New School team.

And the relevance of all this? Stern didn't sit back and let Brown spray graffiti across the NBA's Olympic cause, not without a spirited fight.

This shit sounds like the same thing that has been happening on the knicks team all season.

portega1968

El Cacique
donchris, the 22pts/9assists stats refers to the 6-game winning streak... his numbers were much lower than that for the 1st two months of the season.

The way things have played out since the season ended, I think it's easier if Larry Brown leaves. It would be nearly impossible to trade half the roster and send Isiah packing just to please Larry and appease his inability to accept responsibility for last season.

I have to side with Dolan on the fact that Brown went and trashed Marbury in the papers just one day after Dolan had asked him not to do that (in that meeting down in Memphis). Also, if Isiah told Larry that no significant trades were going to be done, Larry shouldn't have tried to override him seeking a meeting with Dolan.

So I'm getting back on the Marbury bandwagon. Unless there's a deal out there that can bring us equal value for Marbury, I say let's give him another year with Isiah as head coach. If by February they still haven't been able to make this team a playoff contender, then I beg that all you Marbury groupies accept the fact he has to go.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Nearly the whole team's numbers were down before the winning streak. It's not about being a groupy of a fan of any one player, it's about not bashing the whole team because of a losing season. Like wise I hope the Knicks perform well but if Marbury is a problem then at that point he may need to be traded for something of equal value, not trash as what has been suggested in numerous posts.

Real fans STAND UP!

Starks

Starter
Did you guys read the enitre article? If Marbury wants to win over fans, he shouldn't take cheap shots at Charlie Ward like that.

I really liked Ward. He fit in well with the team we had, but I admit that an all-star point guard was something every knick fan wanted in those days.

But still, I dont ever remember having the amount of disdain for Ward as I do for Steph. Ward was a great role player and a way better coach than steph ever could be.

I remember meeting Ward at the Knicks' old practice facility in purchase. He waited for me to run to get a pen from my dad's glove compartment and joked around with my dad about his football career while they were waiting. He even took pictures with my lil sis. Then he traded me a rookie card I had of him for a basketball he signed. He didn't even have a flashy car or any "bling".

Marbury would kill Ward on one on one, but atleast Ward's contract never killed a franchise. Thanx Steph, you always manage to look like a selfish assh*le anytime you open your mouth. Get off this team please, no one in the nba respects you.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
starks did u not read the article? once again charlie ward opened his mouth first. its the same thing as the whole brown drama. theres only so much u can take from someone (even a guy with browns reputation) b4 u fire back. i would do the same thing. and if u had a set of balls so would u. did u think he would'nt come back @ charlie ward.

"Charlie is looking for a job."
-stephon marbury
lmao he got him good.

and keep speaking for the rest of the nba when u say no one respects him. i think ittl be funny when ur proved wrong next season.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
For some strange reason, I don't really like Marbury. Maybe it was cuz of the media or maybe it was cuz of his absurd contract or maybe it was cuz I needed a scapegoat for the horrible Knicks season or maybe it was cuz of his cocky demeanor and quotes like I'm the best point guard in the NBA. I'm not sure where it began but I have to agree with Portega, I would rather keep him than trade him for garbage with also long-term contracts. The only trade I would take is for an expiring contract and maybe a high draft pick, which we're not going to get, at least not now. I would even just take an expiring contract. I can't believe I'm going to say this...call me naive, but I'm feeling a little optimistic about next season with Isiah at the helm.

Allen

Benchwarmer
I'm not as optimistic about next season even with Isiah as couch. With the team as is we would still be slaughtered by some of the better teams in the east like...

NJ- they have a far superior pg in Jason Kidd.
Miami- Shaq and Dwayne Wade could beat the
entire Knicks squad on their own.
Detroit- A superior defensive team.
Cleveland- Lebron can beat the knicks all by
himself.
Indiana- A better defensive as well as offensive
team.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
LOL...I'm naive, not crazy. I don't believe the Knicks will represent the East in the Finals but I can see the Knicks making the playoffs and possibly pulling a first round upset.

Allen

Benchwarmer
I think the knicks are better with Larry Brown as head couch. I will not bail on LB because of one lousy season, his resume alone merits another chance to couch the Knicks.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
What up everybody I'm new here but I have been a knick fan for a very long time so don't get it twisted. But concerning LB...before he went to the knicks, I thought LB was a good coach. But since he needs so many modifications to an already talented team then this questions his ability as a coach. Any other coach would play to a team's ability not towards a specific "old school" way. If you look at the roster now, the best type of offense to run would be to run. Not as up tempo as the Suns because many turnovers would occur. But LB wants to run a half-court set with a bunch of open court scorers. Other than JC, everyone else is slashers. As in Marbury...you don't have to like or love the guy...but you must repsect what he can do on the court. Don't point fingers on who's fault it is because that doesn't matter. But what does matter is who can get the job done and who can get the job done now

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Isiah is probably not a better coach than Brown but he might be a better fit for the Knicks. It seems that Brown will not yield to anything and maybe in a couple of years from now when the players are more mature and have played with each other more, the Knicks and Brown could have been a better fit. Right now, the Knicks might need a coach that could cater to the primadonas of the team. They need a coach who understands what the team has and cater to the team's strengths. They need a nurturing coach who won't yell and bash the players in the media. Maybe a coach like Phil Jackson. I don't know...just a thought.

stephonmarbury8

Benchwarmer
You guys rag on marbury for not passing enough or ballhogging, well first of all you havent watched him play at all, second of all steve nash is a great player, but one thing he is not is stephon marbury, nash will pass up on wide open layups to whip it behind his back off the backboard to a shawn marion at the three point line, he is honestly obsessed with passing the ball, and if u watch him he will dribble for 20 seconds until finally somebody goes for an ally oop or something. He is a great player but hes not super natural, he just never ever looks to shoot in marburys case he can score the ball almost at will, although every game i watched this season which was prolly aroudn 50 gtames or so he never got any calls, but yeah im almost ready to give up defending haters, you guys just dont like the guy, i cant wait for this year i think theyll be good and he will prove you wrong but i guess thats just me, apparently you all live in new york and hate the knicks and everybody on the team, go right ahead be my fuckin guest.

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
sxmarbury516 said:
lol u guys have some serious hate in ur heart. if u watched some of the games you would know he's not half as much a ball hog as the papers make him out to be. then again i cant even imagine them having artilcles on the knicks in the 'german times'.

yeah, it's ok, you already told us about your knowledge in geographics and how long you've been watching the nba and so on, but i've got just one question for you: have you ever heard about something called 'the internet', cause that's a place where you're able to read articles about any team or event in lots of different newspapers. and people outside the u.s. are even able to watch entire nba games, yes that's true, believe it or not. :moon:

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
How does hating Marbury have anything to do with hating the Knicks? I never understood that association. We didn't ask for the trade nor did we ask for the rest of the players on the team.