Marbury: I want to die a Knick

Allen

Benchwarmer
At least you can say Kidd and Nash have been to conference finals and in the case of Kidd, he went to the NBA finals twice.
Marbury on the other hand...for all of his great stats...has not been to one conference final let alone the NBA finals.
People make the usual excuses for Marbury not making the conference finals or NBA finals...it was bad teams, it bad players, it a young team, it was young players, it was injured players, it was bad coaches, it was bad gms.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Allen said:
At least you can say Kidd and Nash have been to conference finals and in the case of Kidd, he went to the NBA finals twice.
Marbury on the other hand...for all of his great stats...has not been to one conference final let alone the NBA finals.
People make the usual excuses for Marbury not making the conference finals or NBA finals...it was bad teams, it bad players, it a young team, it was young players, it was injured players, it was bad coaches, it was bad gms.

Correct me if I'm wrong but prior to the T wolves getting Spreewell and Cassel, Garnett had never been to the conference finals. He hadn't even made it out of the first round of the playoffs. I don't really see your point. Is it Steph's fault the Knicks are loosing? Not to make excuses for him but every team he played for, when he played for them, they were underdevolped. The Suns were in the building process. Amara was not yet the dominate force he has become and at that point Marian was a little on the inconsistent side. It's a totally different team now, largely due to Nash, this is true, but the players around Nash really stepped up.

Now if you but Steph in a situation with a Dominate Eddie Curry, a solid Jamal Crawford, and a rebounding Al Harrington, you've got a totaly different team. You've got a team that could compete. We can only fairly judge Marbury when the right players are around him and are meeting their potential.

Knicks fan my ass....

Allen..... at this point I am not even sure if it worth replying to anything you say. But for the sake of intellect, I will make an attempt.

We play sports to WIN. We do not play to finish second. We do not play to make it to the conference finals. We play for the ring. Anything else outside of that SHOULD NOT be celebrated. When you have anything less than team success, then you have to look at the individuals who comprise that team. You want to make sure you have players who are either developing or are playing hard. If you lack this, you make changes. There is NO question that Steph plays to his ability. There is no question that Eddie Curry can get better, and should get better. There is no question that Channing Frye has a serious upside. Am I suggesting that he will be Amare Stoudamire? No. But I dont know. What I can tell you, is that the Kevin Garnett as we know him today, was definitely not as good when Marbury was there. But Allen, thats because it takes time to develop your game.

This Jason Kidd comparison is ridiculous now. The cast of characters Marbury played with in NJ is nothing like what Kidd has. Kenyon Martin was a beast in NJ with Kidd. Richard Jefferson was explosive. Who did Marbury have? Kendall Gill? Keith Van Horn? While we are on the subject of Jason Kidd, again someone tell me what he accomplished of note? If winning is the object of the game, what makes Jason Kidd SO MUCH better than Marbury.

This entry is getting long....so I am not sure I should even address the Nash issue. There is NO way on God's green earth, that Nash should have beat out LeBron, Wade, and frankly a handful of other players this year. Kobe was considerably more important to his team. Lebron IS the Cavs, Wade delivered a title (albeit the MVP award is announced before the finals) and Nash was good, I would not take anything away from him. But there were far more worthy candidates this year. Barely getting by the Lakers doesnt help his case. He has a much better supporting cast than Marbury so he should have been able to do much more.

Even if you dont like my arguments Allen and still say that these two point guards are better, then that makes Steph third best in a close vote of point guards who never won a damn thing. So...what does that mean? It means you are all making moot points. Since none can be considered a winner just yet, you take the most talented guy. In this case IT IS Marbury - like it or not.

The one thing that is clear is that Allen is NOT a knicks fan. So I have been searching my brain to try and figure out who he is actually a fan of. The NBA does not have Red Sox/Yankees type rivalries. However, to have this kind of disdain for the Knicks can only suggest one thing. Allen is a Nets fan. The jealousy is showing, the inferiority complex is showing. He is definitely a Nets fan.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
well ill b dam'd! u may be right. i think it was him who came out and said his favorite player in the nba was jason kidd. its all adding up. u mean to tell me ive been wasting all this time arguing with a traitor. u bastard!

Allen

Benchwarmer
I don't have disdain for the knicks, I detest how the organization is being run. I would love for the Knicks to bring another title to NY but my belief is that it won't happen with Isiah and Marbury at the helm.

Prodigy you are right teams and players need time to develop. So why couldn't KG and Marbury develop together in Minn. They would have been a monster force in the west.

What the hell was the problem?

What made Minn. decide to trade Marbury?

Kidd also does have 2 eastern conference titles and 2 NBA fianls appearences.

Marbury has none.

Again, Marbury is a great player his stats speak for themselves...that is not the issue. The issue is his ability to step and be a leader , to step at crunch time and lead this team into the playoffs, then the eastern conference finals and finally to an NBA championship.

Stephon Marbury has not shown this kind of ability in the past. So...what makes you think he will show it now?

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
heres the last pic i took of steph back in 01. it was right after he let me sit in his bentley and check it out. he was eating a hero. b4 he pulld away i asked for one more pic, he looked at me with his mouth full and burst out laughin. then he struck this pose...

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
minnesota traded stephon because marbury demanded a trade. he was young and had his reasons for wanting to leave.

j-kidd has 2 eastern conference titles from when the east was weak. then nj got embarrased in the finals both years. not to mention he has played in the league for 3 years longer than marbury. he didnt make it to the eastern conference finals until 01-02. it took him 8 years to do it. it took payton 16 years to finally win a championship. it's not always about how good the player, its about how good the team the player is on.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I hate to jump back in on this but what game are you guys watching??? Steph even in the top 5 PG's in the league??? Pay not play for sure. This love of Marbury must be a hometown thing. I guess I get that, but the rest of the country is laughing at this debacle. Ask any NBA coach, vet, or anylst and the will tell you the sign of any great player is how he makes the guys around him better. I'll take Charlie Ward or Greg Anthony type any day. C.I.P. how can you even critisize a two sport superstar like Charlie Ward. How many Heisman winners go on to start for any NBA team let alone the Knicks. Prodegy must mean you are too young to have seen any of Charlie's football or b-ball exploits.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Jason Kidd doesn't have 2 finals appearances and 2 conference championship appearaces....the NJ Nets roster did...not just jason kidd. Again winning should go as a collective award to the team roster instead of just one player. That's not fair to the rest of the roster nor to Starbury

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
More on why Marbury is the problem read this:

it's on Hoophype. Basically Q-Rich doesn't like Marbury . He is now one more Knick that has tried to fight Stephon Marbury.

Thomas made a draft-day trade last year, acquiring Quentin Richardson and Nate Robinson's draft rights from the Phoenix Suns for Kurt Thomas. Richardson, who could be traded despite a bad back, is a shooter in a league that lacks such skilled players. He also showed a willingness to play defense and nearly got into a locker-room fight with Stephon Marbury.

That made Richardson a favorite of Brown and immediately placed him on the endangered list. Just ask Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas, Keith Van Horn and Dikembe Mutombo what happens when you get on Marbury's bad side. Or just ask Brown.

Why can't Marbury just go the way of the Dodo???

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
kurt thomas, tim thomas, keith van horn, and mutombo, and yea id even say q-rich arent worthy to start @ their position. did u watch them when they played with the knicks? they all with the exception of kurt played completely awful. and they use marbury as an excuse for their poor play. out of the players u named how many of them are still on a starting line-up??? 0. and thats on different teams. that doesnt tell u anything about who was right? would kurt have been able to lead the knicks to the post-season had marbury never been traded. it sure wasnt looking that way.

i dunno doc this is the last chance for isiah and i wouldnt doubt it being the last chance for steph. but i honestly think theyll pass the test.

Finesse

Benchwarmer
I like Kurt Thomas. Tim Thomas has a nice playoff run. Mutombo's time has passed. Van horn is the softest 6-11 player on the planet. That being said, why on earth would I want to ask them ANYTHING about nba personnel? I mean the Knicks were really tearing it up with those guys in the lineup, huh?
Steph didn't get Larry Frontrunner canned, Larry Frontrunner's mouth got him fired!!
Like Steph, I grew up in Brooklyn. You don't allow people to slap you and not slap them back.
If Richardson had a problem with Steph, I'll give it some merit. I wonder if that spat coinsided with Q starting to play some good defense...

Finesse

Benchwarmer
Steph had nothing to do with the state of the Timberwolves franchise. To blame him for that is ridiculous!! i guess it was his idea to tamper with Joe Smith, too...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Q-Rich shouldn't be on this team....we should still have kurt thomas alongside eddy curry in the post so we would have some interior defense. Not only did we get a trigger happy SF that has mediocre defense at best but we added another guard which at the time was great but now looking at it on hindsight was horrible. I like Nate Rob but there aren't enough minutes to go around when you have 3 talented combo guards that play above you. We should have kept Kurt Thomas in my opinion

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Your right rookie but heine sight is 20/20. We traded Thomas before we got Curry last year. Which at the time was a questionable move. Isiah was looking for another young gunner. I thought the move was great last summer. No one knew it would take Q this long to fit in. But you do have a point I seriously doubt that we'd lose 49 games with Kurt Thomas on the boards.

Foto X

Rookie
Marbury RIP

So if Marbury died or was traded away, the knicks would have a better chance of winning the Eastern Division next season. Remember every team he was traded from made the playoffs after his

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Let's not start this again, Marbury is not the reason we're not making the playoffs...that's just stupid to even mention. One player doesn't decide who makes the playoffs or not...it's a collective effort and starbury is our best player. But staying on the subject...when we traded kurt thomas with that current roster...we traded the only bruiser type of foward. We traded our only interior defender for some scorers...we didn't need that...that's why our interior D is so horrible now