Unexpected News? Brown's officially canned!

Starks

Starter
Even Stevie Wonder could of saw this one coming. Good job by the Knicks for proving that letting Brown wither away in the public eye for 6 weeks was purely malicious. This franchise needs a team of the best PR officials in the world to build fan relations after these past 3 years.

No more excuses for Thomas. If he scews up, he doesnt have any more excuses left. I do like the idea of Thomas on the sidelines, he created this circus, and he can't dodge the media anymore after games.

Look for Stephon to have a breakout year, or for Thomas see first hand why he wasn't able to be coached any place else in his career. (I'm looking forward to Larry's response, shoot, he should write a book ala Phil Jackson)

Starks

Starter
BTW, Look at this stat on Brown's horrible first year caoching jobs:

'88-89 Spurs 21-61 (First year) Next season: 56-26*
'05-06 Knicks 23-59 (First year Next season: Fired
'97-98 76ers 31-51 (First year) Next season 28-22*

*Made playoffs

dacash

Benchwarmer
i dont care for thomas as coach he has done nothing, made the playoffs wow the last guy won a championship,personally id let the team build under lb and win a championship than continue under it and settle for da damn playoffs this is not sucking.this is catching aids and waiting to die

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
"In 1988-89, Brown returned to the NBA to take up a struggling San Antonio Spurs team. He coached them to a 21-61 record, knowing it would be much improved the next season with a top draft pick.

In 1989-90, the Spurs were a completely different team with the arrivals of star-to-be David Robinson and Sean Elliott. The team also traded for seasoned veterans Terry Cummings and Maurice Cheeks, as well as rising star Rod Strickland. This was a good team that went 56-26 but lost in the semifinals to Portland. The 56-26 record marked a 35-win improvement over the previous year. Was Brown to credit for this success? Or David Robinson?"

"In 1997-98, Brown took up the Philadelphia 76ers, who were coming off a 22-60 record. He took this team and second-year talent Allen Iverson to a 31-51 record.

In 1998-99, the strike-shortened season, Brown and the Sixers went 28-22, barely made the playoffs and eventually lost 4-0 in the second round to his former team, the Pacers."

now compare that to isiah's 3 years of coaching. all 3 years he brought his team to the playoffs. and every player he coached loved him. this year the team chemistry will build and we will see just how good our talented team can be.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
he honestly can't do worse than brown did. At least isiah always had a good relationship with his players

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
ooohhh wait a minute i didnt know that dolan doesnt plan on paying LB the full $40 mill he's owed. the desicion is up to david stern as to how much brown gets. and we all know stern doesnt like brown ever since the '04 olympics. this is gonna get interesting. if u think this soap opera is over then think again...

NYKnicks15

Starter
Let me see if I can make sense of my feelings towards this issue..

Do I think Larry should of got a second chance? perhaps
Do I think this situation was handled wrong? of course
Do I think Isiah is a great coach? no
Do I think havin Isiah as our coach is a great thing? yes.. heres why.

First off of all. These guys should listen to Isiah. They are his guys. and we all know Marbury is def. his guy. ALSO no free agent or soon to want to be traded player AND MARK MY WORDS ON THAT wanted to come to NY BECAUSE of Larry Brown. They know how he is. How he trashes players. How he doesnt let their true ability shine. I'm not sayin we have a good chance at landing LeBron but even if he was thinking of coming to NY he wouldnt have under Larry Brown.. Also Al Harrington & Jermaine O'Neal have personal feelings for Isiah. Not saying theyll both come here BUT I'm saying his sneaky slithering self has made friendships with some of todays great players... unlike Mr.Brown.

The only thing I dont like is that Isiah mite try to be despiteful and try to show he can do it with this roster instead of making the proper changes necessary to succeed....

but all i can say is... anyone ready for the run and gun?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Hopefully now the circus show is over. Brown is far from finished. He'll end up some where else and clame it to be his last stop. This move is really what every one wanted weather they know it or not. Thomas will ether succeed or hang him self. I'm hoping he will succeed.

portega1968

El Cacique
Hell yeah I'm ready for some hustle... I hate the half-court offense. This team is definitely better suited for speed.

Now, our real problem is defense, so I'm hoping this team finds a way to keep opponents below their own scoring averages. Specifically, our backcourt needs to put the brakes on opposing guards.

Wonder what Isiah has in mind for the draft? Will he trade up or stay put? I wouldnt be surpirsed to see Stevie Franchise moved in a draft trade. That Rudy Gay kid could be the missing link this team needs, along with a defensive point guard and a shotblocker. Maybe Minny can give us the pick to grab Gay and get Eddie Griffin.

Anyways it goes, Isiah should be able to make this squad a playoff contender. I'm going to be one pissed off Knick fan if this team doesn;t reach the playoffs next year.

Allen

Benchwarmer
This is a sad day for the Knicks as an organization. This will be the last time a hall of fame couch of LB's calibure, will couch this team. IT is a hall of fame player but he is not a hall of fame couch. I am a big supporter of LB and his style of basketball.
Now we get to see the Knicks run and gun, score 100 points, play no defense, let the opposition score 110 points and turn the ball over more than 10 times and lose.
I'm looking forward to seeing Miami, deotroit, cleveland, Indiana, and NJ play superior defense and crush the knicks. It should be fun.
Remember defense wins championships.

portega1968

El Cacique
Allen, a true Knick fan would never root for his team to lose.

No doubt Larry is a great coach and I would've liked him to stay here.

But you just can't let his insubordination pass. That day in Memphis he assured Dolan that he wouldn't bash his players in the media again.. then the following day burns Stephon in the press. That's just plain wrong.

Put yourself in Dolan's shoes. Would you retain an employee that proceeds to do what he specifically assured wouldn't do?

He spent the entire season whining about the roster when he should've just focused on getting the best results he could've achieved.

Larry brown dug up his own grave... you can't blame Isiah and Dolan for doing what any smart boss would've done given the insubordination Brown demonstrated. Plain and simple.

Let's turn the page and root for our new coach.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
for starters allen what grade are you in? you've been spelling coach wrong forever. 'couch' is something you sit on. a coach is someone who can take the talent he's handed and lead them to victories. he doesnt cry to everyone from the media, owner, and whoever else will listen. he was making $10 million a year, what the f*ck is their to complain about. do your dam job and win us some games. and for u to say...

"I'm looking forward to seeing Miami, deotroit, cleveland, Indiana, and NJ play superior defense and crush the knicks. It should be fun. "

just shows all of us how dedicated a fan u really are. go bring brown some tissues and u guys can sulk 2gether about how sad a day it is. me on the other hand, cant wait for next season.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Now it's time to turn this franchise around. LB is out...we have a coach that understands and believes in his roster...we no doubt have talent on this roster...and we can only get better through the draft. So for the LB supporters...you knew this was going to happen. Everybody knew this was going to happen. No one here is questioning his coaching ability but maybe only his coaching ethic and his ability to coach THIS team. When you change the lineup 40 different times and demand trades for this player and that player then you not only lack faith in your roster but are also open and vulnerable to criticism. A coach coaches the players he has...he doesn't demand new players to play his way. If he was this great coach then he would have graciously met half way with steph and the rest of the ballas. LB is a good coach, but he just doesn't fit this team. Isiah on the other fits this team greatly. I'm interested to see what he's going to do to the roster since he has no one nagging to him to get new players. No Isiah is not a great coach but he is a coach that believes and knows the attributes of this team. When you have an athletic team then you don't run a half court offense...I don't care how stubborn a coach is, you must incorporate running into the offense. A great coach molds to the roster not the other way around. And yes defense wins championships. You are absolutely right Allen but did we play defense with coach LB...nope. We already hit rock bottom, it's time to rise out the pit and see the sun again...

Allen

Benchwarmer
First, thanks for the spelling lesson. Second, I do want this team to succeed but I don't believe this team with this roster and with IT as coach can get the job done.
If Thomas proves me wrong and takes this team to the playoffs then fine I can admit that I'm wrong.

All of you said Brown did a horrible job as coach, fine, I concede that point. He should've done more with the roster he was given than what he actually did. I also admit that Brown shouldn't have gone to the media to voice his complaints and criticisms about his players.

You also have to admit the Thomas did an equally horrible job as GM, no?
As soon as Brown was on board, Thomas being the GM should have went out and gotten or attempt to get the players that would fit Brown's system. Plus the man has made some blunders.
Had Isiah Thomas been a good GM, this is what the roster would have suppose to look like...

Starting 5 :
Setphon Marbury
Jamal Crawford
Tim Thomas
Antonio Davis
Eddie Curry

Bench:
Earl Watson
Quentin Richardson
Nate Robinson
David Lee
Channing Frye
Trevor Ariza
Michael Sweetney
Jerome James
Jackie Butler
Desanga Diop

* Thomas should've split the MLE between James and Watson, then sign Diop.
* Thomas jumped the gun on the Trade for Curry and Davis. He should've had a tougher stance. First offer Malik Rose, and Mo Taylor, and Penny Hardaway's expiring contract and either their pick of Houston 's or San Antontio's first round draft pick. Then basically tell Chicago to take it or leave it. Thomas folded like a cheap tent, gave them our first round pick which turns out to be the second overall pick and to pile it on even more he gave them the right to switch picks at next year's draft.
Sorry but thats not a sign of a great GM. Thomas helps other teams more than his own.
I have absolutely no confidence in Isiah Thomas as a GM nor as a coach.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Yo, no disrespect but I don't know WTF you're talking about Allen. Do you think Davis would really make a difference? He has leadership qualities, I'll give you that, but he wasn't really a factor when he was here. At least not in the paint or on the score card. Secondly you guys have to see past your hate for Thomas. On the bright side, he knows the team and has the respect of the players. This will be Thomas's moment of truth.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Isiah is looking like a real ego-maniac right now. I was afraid after the Heat one that would give Isiah the final bullet he needed: "Well if Pat Riley can do it..." News flash Isiah: You are no Pat Riley!!!! How do you give any coach only one year to turn a team around??? Well Isiah, you will have no one to blame but yourself after the end of this season. :(

Allen

Benchwarmer
look, I don't hate Thomas, I don't know him personally to hate the guy. But I do think he has done a horrible job as gm. But at least if we had not traded Davis we could've let the guy go. As it has been said many times Antonio Davis was the bridge between Brown and the rest of the roster. Plus, we needed some leadership on the team because they certaintly wasn't getting any from Marbury.