Jay Williams plans to return

rady

Administrator
Staff member
You all remember him, he had a terrible motorcycle accident few years ago

• Jay Williams's return to the basketball court will be accompanied by an important memento.

He says he plans to wear a No. 2 jersey, a change from his No. 22 and a reminder of his second chance — in basketball, but most of all, in life.

Williams, a point guard, nearly died in a motorcycle accident on Chicago's North Side three years ago, on June 19, 2003. Over the past couple of weeks, he has hopped from team to team with the hope of resuming his once-promising N.B.A. career.

He may never become the star that many thought he could be. But simply earning a seat on a team's bench could be considered a remarkable achievement.

Williams, selected by the Chicago Bulls out of Duke with the second overall pick in the 2002 draft, fractured his pelvis and sustained ligament damage in his left knee in the accident. Doctors questioned whether he would walk again.

Williams had his doubts, too.

"I was really scared," he said. "I didn't think I was going to have the opportunity to play ever again."

It took him about seven and a half months after the accident to walk on his own. About five months after that, he was running lightly.

A year after his accident, Williams solidified his decision to take another shot at the N.B.A. after receiving encouragement from several youths at a Duke basketball camp.

Full story

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
This shows you what a little heart and faith from God can take you. With God in your life...you can achieve anything and this is proof. He might not be the same player as he once was but I'mma give him his props for overcoming all the hardship and persevering through rehab because believe it or not...rehab is harder than training camp.

tiger0330

Legend
Jay Williams is done. The guy has been talking about returning since last off season and a whole NBA year has gone by and the guy has not competed in any organized venue, why did he not play in the summer league or NBDL. In Jay's case unfortunately, the mind is willing but the body is not able. If he has lost that explosiveness and speed that made him a second pick, he becomes a mediocre smallish PG.