Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Butler signs with Spurs

Breaking News Jackie Butler signs with Spurs

Rough times, the Spurs offered Jackie a $7,000,000 contract for three years. The Knicks can still keep him if they match the offer in 7 days. Although i don't think money is an issue for NY, $7 million is pretty much.
    What would you do in his place? San Antonio lost both centers.. jackie might catch the lineup. Would you go play alongside Tim Duncan or you'd prefer to start behind Curry and James?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by rady; Jul 13, 2006 at 16:38.

If I’m Butler, I go to San Antonio. He gets to play alongside Duncan and possibly challenge for the title. He’s an automatic starter there, and the Knicks can’t afford to not start Curry, they’d look bad. I hope Butler decides to stay, but I doubt he will. Hell, he’d gain a million games in the standings just by signing the contract!!

Nyk Logo

Butler has already signed the offer sheet from San Antonio...meaning that he HAS already decided which team he wants to play for. The only way we can keep him is if Dolan decides to pony up more cash and match his offer sheet.

I'm certain that Dolan has Isaiah on a short leash at the moment when it comes to adding more salary to our current roster.

Even so I think we Dolan shoud do it. $7MM for three years is much at all compared to the other bloated contracts. That is still a bargain if you compare to Jerome James whose contract is for $24MM for the next four years. Butler has been more productive, has more upside and is 10 years younger than Jerome James!!!

If Jerome can get his fat @$$ into shape, then it's ok for butler to leave....
    He's a young talent, but we have our frontcourt set for the next 7years
    Lee/Frye/Curry

i hope JJ comes in ready for next season!

Veteran

I told you I wont be buying a Jerome James jersey Chris
    This doesnt mean he is gone by the way, it just means he wants to see if we throw more money at him. Expect us to match it.. but not pay anything past that.

Isiah Thomas is having second thoughts on matching the three-year, $7 million offer sheet Jackie Butler received from the San Antonio Spurs.
    According to sources, Thomas is surprised that the center, who is entering his second season, managed to secure a contract that dwarfs the $900,000 the Knicks offered him. The same source said there is a "50-50 chance" that Butler won't return. Thomas has until Wednesday to match the offer.
    The Knicks already have 14 players under contract, and Thomas is finding it hard to justify signing Butler for $7 million when he could be the team's third-string center behind Eddy Curry and Jerome James.

I'm torn on this. Part of me feels he is not worth the money but when you compare that to what JJ gets, it is almost a bargain. I think Butler can add more to NY becasue of JJ's attitude and lack of conditioning. Would 7 mil over the next 3 years really put the Knicks over the top??? I think I would pull the trigger on this, if he doesn't work out at least it is relativly cheap compared to the other busts on the team.

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

I'd rather have Butler than James, but let's face it, we're stuck with James 'cause no one is gonna take him.

Therefore, let Butler get some starting minutes down in San Antonio and a chance for a championship...

Let Isiah choose between Qyntel or that Miller kid, who is a center with a beautiful stroke from downtown (reminds me of Doleac). Qyntel is a good player, but we have way too many choices at that spot.

Veteran

Miller? Why? He can shoot away from the basket, but doesnt block shots.. hmm sounds familiar. We dont need another Frye.. we need a shotblocker if anything down low.

Let Butler go and sign Ariza. By deadline all will be worked out and the SF/SG positions will be where they should be.

Well signing Butler is more then the 7 million over 3 years....with the knicks so far over the luxury cap ...they would have to pay dollar for dollar for every dollar they are over the cap...so matching San Antonio's offer would cost them double the amount....

14 million for a 3rd string center ( even though he is there best center )

but we know cuz of Curry he cant start....if you look at the espn numbers for Jackie Bulter they are amazing....it made them wonder why they traded for curry when they had someone better then curry per minute...

makes me wonder too

now we will loose him cuz we are so far over the cap

it's official - jackie is now with the spurs.

I swear JJ better get his @$$ into shape - or else the fans will rain down boos on him worse than what TT received!!!

nothing's official just yet. tomorrow's the deadline due to that error on papers

Veteran

Nope Rady.. it is official. Sorry buddy.

I can't believe that we let Jackie Butler go and we are stuck with Jerome James.

It was an absolute mistake to have signed James. We should have gone after Desanga Diop instead and he wouldn't have eaten all of our MLE.

Originally Posted by Allen
    I can't believe that we let Jackie Butler go and we are stuck with Jerome James.

It was an absolute mistake to have signed James. We should have gone after Desanga Diop instead and he wouldn't have eaten all of our MLE.
    i completely agree. the mavs weren't even in the picture until we dropped out of the market for him and signed james instead. diop is cheaper, younger, more upside and already contributes more than jerome james does.